NESRGB board available now

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
lettuce

Re: NESRGB board available now

Post by lettuce »

Voultar wrote:If you haven't damaged a trace on the PPU, it's probably a buffer, or S-RAM.
where are these located, i have a doner NES that i could use for spares?
Voultar

Post by Voultar »

Directly above the 72 pin connector, and under the CPU.

If you look at the chips closes to the 72 pin connector, you'll see a silk screen under each. The one on the left should be labeled (WRAM) or Work Ram, and the other should be labeled (VRAM_ or Video ram)

It's a start.
ms06fz

Re: NESRGB board actually available right now

Post by ms06fz »

Hey, boards are apparently back in stock... So anybody who's been anxiously awaiting the restock, now is the time to order.

(EDIT): Ordered one for my NES, one for my AV Famicom. After all, why buy one when you can buy two for twice the price?
Last edited by ms06fz on Wed May 21, 2014 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RGB32E

Post by RGB32E »

I wonder if there are any component changes on this third batch? Perhaps the sync separator circuit has been updated? New firmware? :lol:
Artemio

Post by Artemio »

Or maybe the correct expansion audio input?
lettuce

Post by lettuce »

ms06fz wrote:Hey, boards are apparently back in stock... So anybody who's been anxiously awaiting the restock, now is the time to order.
Nice 3 ordered!!!

On a side not, what do you think a reasonable price is to ask for a NTSC Front Loader NES, with multi out, and NESRGB installed??
TheRetromancer

Post by TheRetromancer »

lettuce wrote:
ms06fz wrote:Hey, boards are apparently back in stock... So anybody who's been anxiously awaiting the restock, now is the time to order.
Nice 3 ordered!!!

On a side not, what do you think a reasonable price is to ask for a NTSC Front Loader NES, with multi out, and NESRGB installed??
Let's see...

Well, Frontloaders are going for about $30 or so, but let's assume that it's one in beautiful condition, so...$50 for the system itself. A multi-out + installation shouldn't really be more than $40 at the most, so that makes $90. Another $90 for the board makes $180. Assuming a 2-to-3-hour installation process at a reasonable $20/hr yields a max of $60, so $240. Add another $10 or so for miscellaneous parts, and you have a nice figure of $250. I would say this is quite reasonable, with a bit of leeway to the tune of $25, so I can't truly see this as being worth more than $275.

If you install the NESRGB on a toploader or AV Famicom, however, I would add another $50/$75 on top of that for the adapter board and additional labour.
"Thanks for the nice reply. I do offer to do work without hot glue too if people prefer it that way." - Drakon
game-tech.us

Post by game-tech.us »

RGB32E wrote:I wonder if there are any component changes on this third batch? Perhaps the sync separator circuit has been updated? New firmware? :lol:
Looks like it has 1.5 firware and it does have a little bit different layout, but I don't see any expansion audio pads like he was talking about before.
Artemio

Post by Artemio »

game-tech.us wrote: Looks like it has 1.5 firware and it does have a little bit different layout, but I don't see any expansion audio pads like he was talking about before.
Well, he did provide the correct instructions to do it, they are very easy to follow and work perfectly fine http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 4#p1012354
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

TheRetromancer wrote:
lettuce wrote:
Nice 3 ordered!!!

Let's see...

Well, Frontloaders are going for about $30 or so, but let's assume that it's one in beautiful condition, so...$50 for the system itself. A multi-out + installation shouldn't really be more than $40 at the most, so that makes $90. Another $90 for the board makes $180. Assuming a 2-to-3-hour installation process at a reasonable $20/hr yields a max of $60, so $240. Add another $10 or so for miscellaneous parts, and you have a nice figure of $250. I would say this is quite reasonable, with a bit of leeway to the tune of $25, so I can't truly see this as being worth more than $275.

If you install the NESRGB on a toploader or AV Famicom, however, I would add another $50/$75 on top of that for the adapter board and additional labour.
Just as a reference, most industries charge ~$60-80/hr for labor.
Pasky

Post by Pasky »

Good luck getting cheap gamers to pay for $60-70/hr in labor.
leonk

Post by leonk »

I wonder what's new in this "1.2" revision.

Also, is anyone else looking for a good solution for the original Famicom? I think Tim had it as a long time to-do..
RGB32E

Post by RGB32E »

game-tech.us wrote:
RGB32E wrote:I wonder if there are any component changes on this third batch? Perhaps the sync separator circuit has been updated? New firmware? :lol:
Looks like it has 1.5 firware and it does have a little bit different layout, but I don't see any expansion audio pads like he was talking about before.
Thanks for the info! It looks like Tim updated his store page picture:

ImageImage

Ghaa... looks like I'm going to have to order another one!

EDIT: Comparing V1.0 to V1.2 it looks like he changed the sync separator, added a component and pad for the CS# output (improved compatibility?), and added components between the pallet pads and the PLD.
The_Atomik_Punk!

Post by The_Atomik_Punk! »

game-tech.us wrote:
I'd appreciate if Tim could chime in here and outline what exactly the differences/improvements are in this revision, and if the Famicom expansion audio support has been improved (more convenient to connect now?). If not, I'd like to know definitively if Tim plans on improving Famicom expansion audio hook-up, as it's been the one issue that has given me pause in purchasing a board previously.
keropi

Post by keropi »

I am also VERY interested in the Sync changes....
Voultar

Post by Voultar »

Does the NESRGB suffer from sync issues? My XRGB Mini should be here in a day or so.

- And I agree, if Tim is going to release a revised board (with evidently revised firmware), I would certainly appreciate the ability to view a change-log.

Hopefully, he's looking into the sub-carrier interference issues, that we've mentioned a page or so back.
darcagn

Post by darcagn »

Artemio wrote:
game-tech.us wrote: Looks like it has 1.5 firware and it does have a little bit different layout, but I don't see any expansion audio pads like he was talking about before.
Well, he did provide the correct instructions to do it, they are very easy to follow and work perfectly fine http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 4#p1012354
Jason, and surely all of us who have been following this thread for months, know how to do it already, it's just that Tim had already told us that the next NESRGB will have dedicated pads for the expansion audio at the top where the rest of the pads are. So there's some confusion as to why this new revision does not have that.

I did notice that there is a point you can solder to now where the 20K and 12K ohm resistors are mixed together though.

Still, I really wish Tim would let us know the changes. If they're significant enough, I'd even might buy another one.
TheRetromancer

Post by TheRetromancer »

Voultar wrote:Does the NESRGB suffer from sync issues? My XRGB Mini should be here in a day or so.

- And I agree, if Tim is going to release a revised board (with evidently revised firmware), I would certainly appreciate the ability to view a change-log.

Hopefully, he's looking into the sub-carrier interference issues, that we've mentioned a page or so back.
The NESRGB doesn't suffer from sync problems...as far as I can tell. However, I've noticed some sync issues with SNES games - A Link to the Past has sync flickering on the intro/title screen, and Mega Man 7 seems to have it at various points throughout the intro stage. I've used both the original SCART/XRGB adapter (rewired for Euro SCART) and retro_console_accessories Boosted Sync adapter. No difference. Can anyone else confirm this?
"Thanks for the nice reply. I do offer to do work without hot glue too if people prefer it that way." - Drakon
darcagn

Post by darcagn »

TheRetromancer wrote:
Voultar wrote:Does the NESRGB suffer from sync issues? My XRGB Mini should be here in a day or so.

The NESRGB doesn't suffer from sync problems...as far as I can tell. However, I've noticed some sync issues with SNES games - A Link to the Past has sync flickering on the intro/title screen, and Mega Man 7 seems to have it at various points throughout the intro stage. I've used both the original SCART/XRGB adapter (rewired for Euro SCART) and retro_console_accessories Boosted Sync adapter. No difference. Can anyone else confirm this?
Might be best to post this in the XRGB thread since it's off-topic in this thread, but have you adjusted the sync level in the XRGB's menu? This always fixes the occasional game with sync issues for me, and adjusting it hasn't ever caused any other issues.
TheRetromancer

Post by TheRetromancer »

darcagn wrote:
TheRetromancer wrote:The NESRGB doesn't suffer from sync problems...as far as I can tell. However, I've noticed some sync issues with SNES games - A Link to the Past has sync flickering on the intro/title screen, and Mega Man 7 seems to have it at various points throughout the intro stage. I've used both the original SCART/XRGB adapter (rewired for Euro SCART) and retro_console_accessories Boosted Sync adapter. No difference. Can anyone else confirm this?
Might be best to post this in the XRGB thread since it's off-topic in this thread, but have you adjusted the sync level in the XRGB's menu? This always fixes the occasional game with sync issues for me, and adjusting it hasn't ever caused any other issues.
Will do. As to the sync adjust, raising the sync level actually makes it worse - raising it past 22 causes audio dropouts, and going past 27 causes the XRGB to lose the video. it will re-capture it in a few seconds, but it doesn't improve. It's weird.

Taking this over to the Framemeister thread.
Zets13

Post by Zets13 »

Please forgive me if I missed it, but is there still a plan for an original Famicom adapter board? I plan to eventually get an original Famicom and put an NESRGB in it, but I was going to wait for a Fami adapter board to come out (I am fairly certain I saw it as coming soon several months ago).
ApolloBoy

Post by ApolloBoy »

Zets13 wrote:Please forgive me if I missed it, but is there still a plan for an original Famicom adapter board? I plan to eventually get an original Famicom and put an NESRGB in it, but I was going to wait for a Fami adapter board to come out (I am fairly certain I saw it as coming soon several months ago).
Tim's still working on it and I think it might be coming out this summer. I recently had a Famicom with a dead PPU fall in my lap and I plan on putting an NESRGB in it, so I'm going to wait on getting another NESRGB until that adapter board shows up.
RGB32E

Post by RGB32E »

TheRetromancer wrote:The NESRGB doesn't suffer from sync problems...as far as I can tell.
There are issues with the v1.1 boards on AV Famicom and NES top loaders where CS# cannot be used with the XRGB-mini. Many games will drop sync, and adjusting the sync level on the XRGB-mini does not resolve the issue.
Voultar

Post by Voultar »

RGB32E wrote:
TheRetromancer wrote:The NESRGB doesn't suffer from sync problems...as far as I can tell.
There are issues with the v1.1 boards on AV Famicom and NES top loaders where CS# cannot be used with the XRGB-mini. Many games will drop sync, and adjusting the sync level on the XRGB-mini does not resolve the issue.

So does the front-loader not suffer from this sync issue, as well?

I don't know how one could be affected consistently, and the other not.
CkRtech

Post by CkRtech »

For the record, I do show slanted lines (top right to bottom left) via RGB output on the NESRGB on my NTSC frontloader, however they are barely noticeable - and even then typically require a solid color background to see. They aren't nearly as bad as the ones from the s-video output that you guys have been posting.

I may still move to an even higher quality cable...but I am curious about some of the circuit changes. Tim usually stops by this thread when big news is here, and this new board revision is big news.
viletim

Post by viletim »

The_Atomik_Punk! wrote:
game-tech.us wrote:
I'd appreciate if Tim could chime in here and outline what exactly the differences/improvements are in this revision, and if the Famicom expansion audio support has been improved (more convenient to connect now?). If not, I'd like to know definitively if Tim plans on improving Famicom expansion audio hook-up, as it's been the one issue that has given me pause in purchasing a board previously.
Version 1.5 software:
-- Fixes problems with palette updates in some games (Orb 3D, Duck Maze, Morskoy Boy)
-- Fixes compatibility problem with Everdrive save states.
I don't think there are any more outstanding problems. This is most likely the final update.

Version 1.2 Hardware:
-- Improved sync separator (low pass filter added).
-- Enlarged plated holes for the PPU. It is now easier to remove a PPU which is soldered to the NESRGB.
-- Added a pad to the audio mixing spot. It makes it easy to solder a resistor with no danger of damage to the board.

A few customers had trouble which was traced to noise on the sync signal. The fix was to use PPUV as a sync source.
Voultar wrote:Hopefully, he's looking into the sub-carrier interference issues, that we've mentioned a page or so back.
I will look into this later. I am busy with orders at the moment!
darcagn wrote: Jason, and surely all of us who have been following this thread for months, know how to do it already, it's just that Tim had already told us that the next NESRGB will have dedicated pads for the expansion audio at the top where the rest of the pads are. So there's some confusion as to why this new revision does not have that.

I did notice that there is a point you can solder to now where the 20K and 12K ohm resistors are mixed together though.
Version 1.1 hardware (never built) had a bunch of extra resistors and pads. I decided instead to put a single plated through hole in the mixing spot. This is suitable for mounting a resistor leg - it's up to the installer to choose the right value.

darcagn wrote:Still, I really wish Tim would let us know the changes. If they're significant enough, I'd even might buy another one.
I don't think they are significant, just expected improvements based on problems encountered and feedback.
ApolloBoy wrote:
Zets13 wrote:Please forgive me if I missed it, but is there still a plan for an original Famicom adapter board? I plan to eventually get an original Famicom and put an NESRGB in it, but I was going to wait for a Fami adapter board to come out (I am fairly certain I saw it as coming soon several months ago).
Tim's still working on it and I think it might be coming out this summer. I recently had a Famicom with a dead PPU fall in my lap and I plan on putting an NESRGB in it, so I'm going to wait on getting another NESRGB until that adapter board shows up.
Yes! It's not ready yet but it is a high priority. I would like to finish up the NESRGB project and work on more interesting things.
darcagn

Post by darcagn »

viletim wrote:-- Fixes compatibility problem with Everdrive save states.
Thanks for this! I'm assuming this is the issue where you when you restore a save state, the graphics are all black or are scrambled? I posted about that a few months ago but I don't think anyone replied about having that issue, but I've encountered it a few times. I just assumed that nothing was going to be done because it was an Everdrive thing, but that's great if so!
viletim wrote:-- Added a pad to the audio mixing spot. It makes it easy to solder a resistor with no danger of damage to the board.
Ah, that's good, that should be more than suitable.
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

Dang. Waited to see what the updates were and the US distributor is sold out :(
darcagn

Post by darcagn »

Got in my c-sync based multiout cable for the NESRGB from retro_console_accessories. Here's comparison shots.

c-sync as sync cable from retro_console_acessories:
Spoiler
c-video as sync cable from retro_console_accessories:
Spoiler
You can plainly see the checkerboarding issue Voultar has been talking about on on the c-video version.
RGB32E

Post by RGB32E »

viletim wrote:Version 1.2 Hardware:
-- Improved sync separator (low pass filter added).
A few customers had trouble which was traced to noise on the sync signal. The fix was to use PPUV as a sync source.
Care to share the details on the low pass filter so that it can be adapted to earlier HW revisions?

Does the LPF resolve the need to use PPUV instead of CS#?