Most gotten rid of gaming systems?

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
MOSQUITO FIGHTER

Re: Most gotten rid of gaming systems?

Post by MOSQUITO FIGHTER »

BryanM wrote:
BrianC wrote:Depends on whether or not they were made by Tiger (actually, some of their early ones weren't bad).
Was browsing Yootube the other day for awhile looking for any that were decent. The best one was an Octupus thing, which was about as good as Custer's Revenge. Were there any good ones I should look into? (I know almost nothing about the genre; had the sense to avoid it in my childhood.)

The very best games I can see for the display format would be ASCii mode, where you can actually have things that move... you could make some nice cut-rate versions of Rogue, Dragon Warrior, and Endurro...
I remember most of the G&W games being pretty good considering the limitations. The only Tiger game I remember getting enjoyment out of was skeet shoot. It used a rotary dial to aim with, which was a little unique.

Speaking of which avgn just made a video about tiger games.
louisg

Post by louisg »

I've missed every system I've gotten rid of or has died, and eventually recollected them (Amiga, C64, 2600, and I sold my original Genesis for a SNES back in the day). I've been thinking of parting with my PS1/2, SMS, NES and N64 though. Those never really see any play at my place :/
Humans, think about what you have done
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

cools wrote:All of them. No desire to buy any again, and I'm pretty sure I've owned all the major systems. The Wii I have now is my second, and it gets used mainly as an emulation box.
What do you play?
SuperDeadite wrote:SNES. The library does nothing for me at all. I still have an SFC, but I only use it for playing my favorite original Gameboy games on. All my SFC carts are gone or buried.
Madness!!!
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

BryanM wrote:Were there any good ones I should look into?
In hindsight, Game & Watch were the best. I fancy buying Game & Watch Gallery Advance (Euro name), doubting there's NOTHING on it worth revisiting.
I believe there's an LCD games thread already.
louisg wrote:I've been thinking of parting with my PS1/2, SMS, NES and N64 though. Those never really see any play at my place :/
Did you just list your not chipped consoles?
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

cools

Post by cools »

evil_ash_xero wrote:
cools wrote:All of them. No desire to buy any again, and I'm pretty sure I've owned all the major systems. The Wii I have now is my second, and it gets used mainly as an emulation box.
What do you play?
Cabs.
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

I don't have any use for the systems that are covered by competent emulation or backwards compatibility.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
shmuppyLove

Post by shmuppyLove »

Just sold a Gamecube :cry:

I loved it when it was still current, but the last few years it's just been sitting in a box doing nothing.
Astraea FGA Mk. I

Post by Astraea FGA Mk. I »

I have great difficulty letting go, I have never sold a game system

N64 seems like the console that a lot of people loved during its lifespan but had no interest in it afterwards.
louisg

Post by louisg »

Obiwanshinobi wrote:
louisg wrote:I've been thinking of parting with my PS1/2, SMS, NES and N64 though. Those never really see any play at my place :/
Did you just list your not chipped consoles?
Hah, nah :) Actually the PS2 is my only chipped console. I think I'm just more into arcade-style gaming than long drawn out console games. And in the case of the SMS and N64, the game library is just sorta sad :P
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

I got rid of my Gamecube too, but only after I bought a Wii. Unfortunately, I later had to buy a GC controller for SSBB that I think I ended up paying more for than I got for the GameCube with controller in the first place.
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Just paid for a - reportedly brand-new - GameCube controller more than, I think, I paid for a new Saturn 3D pad.
Nothig seemed really wrong with the two used 'Cube pads I have, but it still seemed more reasonable than, dunno, buying a new neGcon?
louisg wrote:Actually the PS2 is my only chipped console. I think I'm just more into arcade-style gaming than long drawn out console games.
It's not like PS2 doesn't have these in abundance.
Last edited by Obiwanshinobi on Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The way out is cut off

louisg

Post by louisg »

Obiwanshinobi wrote:
louisg wrote:Actually the PS2 is my only chipped console. I think I'm just more into arcade-style gaming than long drawn out console games.
It's not like PS2 doesn't have these in abundance.
Well, sorta yes and no. I mean, there were a couple games like Shattered Soldier and Gradius V that I was really looking forward to, but then when they came out they just didn't click with me at all. I was also really let down by the stuttery Gigawing Generations port and the lackluster Raiden III. That leaves mostly Cave shmups, which I'm just not all that into (I know, it's heresy, but I'm not a big manic shmup fan :)).

On the PS2 I've gotten the most mileage out of the Taito Legends and Sega Ages discs, though a lot of those are already on other systems I own (TL led me to purchase the Saturn port of Metal Black for example). There's some good stuff for sure, like the first Psyvariar game, Virtua Fighter IV is amazing, and I enjoyed the last Thunderforce game (even though it was a little uninspired), but overall it winds up being one of those systems that sits in the corner and collects dust.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

"Abundance" is the word. Even listing down the ones I'm aware of would take a number of lines, let alone learning how to play at least one of these.
The way out is cut off

louisg

Post by louisg »

Obiwanshinobi wrote:"Abundance" is the word. Even listing down the ones I'm aware of would take a number of lines, let alone learning how to play at least one of these.
Lemme know if there's anything you think I might not know about that you think I should try.. I'm pretty aware of what's available for the US catalog, a little less-so of the Japanese one.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

To be fair, the most relevant Japan-exclusive I can think of is ADK Tamashii. Then again, the only Japanese 'Cube exclusive I wish there was released elsewhere is Kururin Squash! (so make of it what you will).

P.S. Actually, I forgot about ChainDive. Better use of left analogue stick than Viewtiful Joe to say the least. Some people would namedrop Battle Gear 3 too.
The way out is cut off

louisg

Post by louisg »

Oh yeah, Chaindive is one that always looked interesting to me but I never got around to checking it out.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I had a SNES once. Sold it to the Swedish guy on here, can't remember his name.

I did buy it about 2003 though, so its not like it held memories or anything.

PSP sold never got back again.

I think thats it. Apart from systems that broke. I had a few MK1 PS2's break on me, replaced with slims.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

Wii - as far as I can tell the Wii U has rendered my Wii superfluous. I'm sending it to a friend so he can catch up on a few Wii titles he missed after he gave up on the system.

N64 - I never liked this system. It's not even worth bothering to sell it-- what would I get for it?
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

One exclusively Japanese PS2 retro collection I read about yesterday is Gunvari Collection + Time Crisis. Selling points being the number of games and Guncon 2 support. Sounds better than I expected, knowing that Ridge Racer on NamCollection didn't support analogue stick A.D. 2005 (be thankful you can save on a PS2 memory card).
The way out is cut off

louisg

Post by louisg »

professor ganson wrote: N64 - I never liked this system. It's not even worth bothering to sell it-- what would I get for it?
Despite me not really liking the N64 as a whole all that much, here are the games I enjoyed for it:

Sin and Punishment: Excellent all the way. One of the best things Treasure has done, and IMO is miles better than the Wii sequel.

Later Midway ports: Hydro Thunder, Rush 2049, and NFL Blitz. These are all great. If you have the DC versions you don't need these, but they're remarkable ports. Also check out NBA Hangtime, perhaps the best NBA Jam out there.

Goldeneye: Tons of action-- one foot in the Doom era, one foot in the Half-Life era. It's a little buggy, but it was one of the only FPS games in the early polygon era that swarmed you with enemies, and it had ideas that were unusual at the time. I thought it was more fair than the follow-up, Perfect Dark (which is great BTW if you want to see the N64 strut its stuff)

Ocarina of Time: Dunno about Majora's Mask, but I liked this a lot more than Wind Waker and what I saw of the Wii Zeldas

Ridge Racer 64: One of those rare really-well-performing N64 games. I actually enjoyed this the most out of the RR games I've played excepting the current-gen ones.

F-Zero X: Awesome, awesome fluid and fast racing game. It plays perhaps better than GX..?

Blast Corps: Super clever and fun destroy-the-crap-out-of-an-abadoned-town puzzle-ish game

Pokemon Snap: Don't laugh, but I got a serious kick out of this photography game :)

There's also Bangai-O which is apparently different from the DC revision. I think it's really expensive now though. And I keep meaning to sink more time into the Pilotwings, which seems good too. A lot of N64 fans will probably also recommend Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Mario 64, Paper Mario, Mario Golf... a friend of mine also likes Hybrid Heaven a lot, which is a very unusual turn-based beat 'em up. And I heard good things about Space Station Silicon Valley, described as a proto-GTA.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Speaking of Pilotwings, the game that made me care for the series was no other than Sky Odyssey (PS2). I have not heard of anything else in this vein (although I suppose there are much older flight sims equally playful).
The way out is cut off

louisg

Post by louisg »

Obiwanshinobi wrote:Speaking of Pilotwings, the game that made me care for the series was no other than Sky Odyssey (PS2). I have not heard of anything else in this vein (although I suppose there are much older flight sims equally playful).
There's a real lack of playful flight sims. I can't think of too many other ones.
Jonathan Ingram

Post by Jonathan Ingram »

louisg wrote:There's a real lack of playful flight sims. I can't think of too many other ones.
Well, there`s Choro Q Jet: Rainbow Wings for the PSX. Also, Crimson Skies for PC and Xbox. The latter is not exactly what I would call "playful", but it`s very arcadey in nature.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

I read someone likened Sky Odyssey to Crimson Skies before. From what I know, Xbox game is a sequel/remake of sorts. The original Crimson Skies plays fine with a gamepad (and there's a fan-made patch for modern nVidia GPUs available).
Pilotwings Resort is by the makers of Excite Truck by the way. One of two 3DS games I'd like to play.
The way out is cut off

KAI

Post by KAI »

I've sold 2 megadrives, 1 SNES and 1 N64.
I always regretted selling my SNES (cause I sold the console, not the games), but last year I bought one for $2 on a garage sale.
stuminator

Post by stuminator »

I got an N64 and a TG16 many years ago. After collecting dust for 7 or 8 years I sold or gave them away. Never even purchased or played a single game for them during the time I had them. Not sure why I ever bothered to buy them in the first place... :?
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Come to think of it, I got rid of my first Genesis. I thought I was over it, due to the SNES. I was incorrect.
shmuppyLove

Post by shmuppyLove »

louisg wrote:
professor ganson wrote: N64 - I never liked this system. It's not even worth bothering to sell it-- what would I get for it?
Despite me not really liking the N64 as a whole all that much, here are the games I enjoyed for it:
Tetrisphere!!

DAT SOUNDTRACK
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

There is one N64 that I truly loved: Pokemon Puzzle League. Probably my favorite game for the system.
louisg

Post by louisg »

professor ganson wrote:There is one N64 that I truly loved: Pokemon Puzzle League. Probably my favorite game for the system.
Ahh I need to get that one. OK maybe I won't sell my N64 or PS2 haha. SMS though is still on the chopping block :)