Most gotten rid of gaming systems?

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Obiwanshinobi

Most gotten rid of gaming systems?

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

To the people who buy consoles and such intending to use them, then sell them off and never replace with another unit, what exactly did you purchase, get rid of it and never buy again?
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

Edmond Dantes

Re: Most gotten rid of gaming systems?

Post by Edmond Dantes »

Currently, the only system I can honestly say I've sold and never gotten back is the Game Gear.

It's not for a lack of wanting to, though.
The resident X-Multiply fan.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

I confess - as a kid I literally destroyed a couple of LCD handhelds, which was, admittedly, criminal. In my defense, nothing Game & Watch.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

rancor

Post by rancor »

Got a Genesis / Megadrive back in the early 90's new for Xmas packaged with Sonic. Sold it in ~'95 for pennies on the dollar, and never bought another one. I have zero interest in that system.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

N64 is one of the only systems I got rid of and would never get again. Of course it helps that the games I like on it are on VC.

But I really didn't like that system.
hermit crab

Post by hermit crab »

LOL... wait, do what now? Maybe if I desperately needed the cash, probably not even then.
Make a missile snap a bone gristle.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

The only systems I've ever owned and "permanently" given away are 1) The N64, which had a handful (but that's it) of good games on it, but nowadays I own most of them on other formats, and 2) The original B+W Game Boy. This one might not count as I still have a handful of games for it around, but now I play everything GBA and earlier on the GC's player. Honestly, if not for that player I'd have probably gotten rid of the GC as well, since I play most of its library on the Wii.
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Back in the day I bought a Gameboy Color just to play Pokemon. My friend had Pokemon Red and the link cable so I bought the Blue version and we worked together to catch all 150 pokemons. Once it was done, I promptly sold it. I had no interest in any other game in the system.

This was my only case of buying a system for a single game.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Obiwanshinobi wrote:I confess - as a kid I literally destroyed a couple of LCD handhelds, which was, admittedly, criminal.
You mean heroic.
antron

Post by antron »

My first will be the PS3. There is nothing I will ever want to go back and play (that's not on my shmupbox 360). Right now it's really just a blu-ray player.
shmuppyLove

Post by shmuppyLove »

Xbox and Gameboy Color.

Edit: Also sold off a Saturn and no real interest on getting another.
Last edited by shmuppyLove on Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BobbyNewmarkiii

Post by BobbyNewmarkiii »

Xbox
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Only hardware I've ever sold off was my portables. I've sold off an OG Gameboy, a Gameboy Colour, a Super Gameboy and a Neo-Geo Pocket Colour. I just hate playing games on a miniscule screen. At least with the 3 revisions of GB stuff, I can play all of those on my Gamecube's Gameboy Player.
LEGENOARYNINLIA

Post by LEGENOARYNINLIA »

~The artist formerly known as TheRedKnight~
Fighting game photography: legenoaryninlia.tumblr.com
Fighting game tournament stuff: ninlia.home.blog
Vyxx
Banned User

Post by Vyxx »

I've only owned a few gaming systems over the years but U had my 360 die on me and never bought a replacement, doubt I ever will.

My NES/SNES will forever stay with me. The only system I think I ever sold was my Launch GameCube which I ended up replacing years down the road because every once and a while I still get a crazy urge to play Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour.... why, I have no clue.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Kiken wrote:Only hardware I've ever sold off was my portables.
Same. I own and will keep all Nintendo, Sega, NEC, Sony and Microsoft consoles to date, with the sole exceptions of the Master System since the one game I like (Kenseiden) plays perfectly via Power Base Convertor, and the Supergrafx for lack of anything compelling. Let all my portables (GBC, GBA, PSP, DS) go sometime late in the 2000s, and don't intend to get them back or get any more.
cools

Post by cools »

All of them. No desire to buy any again, and I'm pretty sure I've owned all the major systems. The Wii I have now is my second, and it gets used mainly as an emulation box.
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

I did sell off the Japanese Saturn I had at one point since I ultimately ended up not using it at all, and doubt I'll get another one. I also had to sell off my JAMMA cab back when I moved to this place for lack of space, but I do still have my collection of boards, and want to get another one when circumstances permit.
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0
MOSQUITO FIGHTER

Post by MOSQUITO FIGHTER »

Sega CD. I just couldn't keep it working. The only reason I bought it was for Robo Aleste anyway.
Moniker

Post by Moniker »

The NES (doh!), although to be fair to myself, my parents gave it away without my permission. Don't know what happened to the old gray gameboy or the original gba. Probably in a box somewhere. Not concerned on those counts b/c of backwards compatibility and handheld emulation.
The freaks are rising through the floor.
Recommended XBLIG shmups.
Top 20 Doujin Shmups of ALL TIME.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Game.com
BryanM wrote:
Obiwanshinobi wrote:I confess - as a kid I literally destroyed a couple of LCD handhelds, which was, admittedly, criminal.
You mean heroic.
Depends on whether or not they were made by Tiger (actually, some of their early ones weren't bad).
drauch

Post by drauch »

I imagine my 3DO will get this treatment at some point. It went from "amusing center piece" to "closet fodder," so I expect his life is running out.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
shmuppyLove

Post by shmuppyLove »

drauch wrote:I imagine my 3DO will get this treatment at some point. It went from "amusing center piece" to "closet fodder," so I expect his life is running out.
Those things belong in a museum ... but seriously is there anything worth playing on it?
drauch

Post by drauch »

I know there's a handful of 3DO believers out there, but I think they're damned fools. Almost anything worth playing is an inferior PC port.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

BrianC wrote:Depends on whether or not they were made by Tiger (actually, some of their early ones weren't bad).
Was browsing Yootube the other day for awhile looking for any that were decent. The best one was an Octupus thing, which was about as good as Custer's Revenge. Were there any good ones I should look into? (I know almost nothing about the genre; had the sense to avoid it in my childhood.)

The very best games I can see for the display format would be ASCii mode, where you can actually have things that move... you could make some nice cut-rate versions of Rogue, Dragon Warrior, and Endurro...
rugdoctor

Post by rugdoctor »

Atari Jaguar...it was filled with empty promises...traded it (with iron soldier, Avp, checkered flag and where did you learn to fly) for 13 Neogeo AES carts, never looked back.
MOSQUITO FIGHTER

Post by MOSQUITO FIGHTER »

smart phones
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

Sega CD, Nintendo 64, and most recently Nintendo Gamecube. My Sega CD model 1 and JVC X'Eye had failing CD-Drives and maintaining them was too much of a hassle. I settled on playing Sega CD games on the Nintendo Wii through emulation.

Most Nintendo 64 games that I liked were ported to the Wii Virtual Console so I never re-bought the original hardware. I sold my Gamecube hardware but kept my games and a Wavebird controller to also play on the Wii. It was good enough.

Consoles that I have and will probably not sell are a Japanese Sega Saturn, Super Famicom, AV Famicom, PC Engine + Super CD-ROM, Sega Mark III, and a Japanese Playstation 2 modded. I also have a few portables like a PC Engine GT, Gameboy Light, Neo Geo Pocket, Gameboy Micros, and a Nintendo 3DS XL that I keep around for when I travel.
"Make-up! Jewels! Dresses! I want it all! Sigh... And some new accessories would be nice..."
SuperDeadite

Post by SuperDeadite »

SNES. The library does nothing for me at all. I still have an SFC, but I only use it for playing my favorite original Gameboy games on. All my SFC carts are gone or buried.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

BryanM wrote:
BrianC wrote:Depends on whether or not they were made by Tiger (actually, some of their early ones weren't bad).
Was browsing Yootube the other day for awhile looking for any that were decent. The best one was an Octupus thing, which was about as good as Custer's Revenge. Were there any good ones I should look into? (I know almost nothing about the genre; had the sense to avoid it in my childhood.)

The very best games I can see for the display format would be ASCii mode, where you can actually have things that move... you could make some nice cut-rate versions of Rogue, Dragon Warrior, and Endurro...
I like some of the Nintendo ones like Donkey Kong, Greenhouse (much more like Donkey Kong 3 than the handheld named Donkey Kong 3, and plays better than the arcade DK3), Donkey Kong II, and Donkey Kong Jr. (both color and grey and white, two different games), but it's frustrating how expensive they are (~60-80 dollars. The versions in the Game & Watch Galleries and on DS and DSi are actually very accurate and a good alternative). Coleco and Entex made some good ones too. Entex made some nice ports of games like Defender and Turtles. Coleco's Ms. Pac-Man, Frogger, Galaxian, and Pac-Man are fun (part of me wants to recommend Zaxxon because of the impressive way the perspect is handled with two screens, but I found it hard to play). Many of them are pretty simple, but I found that to be part of the charm and found many of the simple ones to be more fun than the Tiger Handhelds with multiple levels. If you are looking for something less simple, some of the later Nintendo games like Bombsweeper, Climber, Balloon Fight, and Super Mario Bros a little more advanced without trying too hard to be so like some of the Tiger games.

I'm not sure if will like too many of the simpler handhelds since you compared Octopus to Custer's Revenge. I haven't played the latter since I refuse to do so, but I found the concept to be incredibly lame. I found Octopus to be very fun myself. It's a simple, avoid the tentacles and collect the gold game, but that's what I like about it, especially with how tense the tentacles get when the difficulty rises.