Karous: the Beast of Re: Eden for 3DS

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Neorebel

Re: Karous: the Beast of Re: Eden for 3DS

Post by Neorebel »

Ugh I really had high hopes for this... No 3D or arcade mode? What were they thinking?
Domino

Post by Domino »

So I purchase this today from US eshop. I knew what I was getting myself into before buying. Yes the framerate is poop when there are enough enemies on the screen (really slows down). However, I found the mission layout to be good in short burst (which is good for me on my work breaks). A few missions here and there and I'm good for the day. If you don't mind spending the $7 then I would recommend it for what it is.

This is not a traditional stage shooter so if you were still hoping for that then forget it.

Edit: Who gives a crap about 3D, I really think it would been useless for this one. Also, tons of random character chatter in-game and "achievements."
msm

Post by msm »

apparently this is out in europe on thursday, just under a fiver.

as it's pretty cheap i might get it anyway, but impressions here don't seem great.

http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?/t ... july-2015/

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/0 ... uly_europe
fakeXsound

Post by fakeXsound »

So is this worth picking up? Is it really a shooter? Or just a bunch of weird missions?
Oniros

Post by Oniros »

fakeXsound wrote:So is this worth picking up?
No. Get Recca with your money instead.
Squire Grooktook wrote:
Captain wrote:The future of shmups is the past.
*Yagawa smiles with the teeth of a shark*

*cue Heavy Day*
fakeXsound

Post by fakeXsound »

Oniros wrote:
fakeXsound wrote:So is this worth picking up?
No. Get Recca with your money instead.
Heh, got that one on day 1. I'll try that Box Boy game, though.
Special World

Post by Special World »

Check out G.G Series Assault Buster and Dark Spirits imo, as well as 3D Fantasy Zone 2

Also G.G Series Score Attacker apparently comes out today

There are slim pickings for shmups on 3DS but there's some goodness to be found if you search deep enough
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

Bought this a few days ago on the PAL eShop, despite my apprehension regarding the slowdown and mission structure, but I gotta admit I am pleasantly surprised by this game.
It is a bit of a shame that there is no arcade mode, but the missions are quite numerous and they force you to use all types of weapons (shot, sword, shield and bomb). Many of them ask you to destroy X ennemies with a specific weapon type, and some other objectives can be cleared by equipping specific items so there are some slight playstyle differences between the missions. A few missions have puzzle-like elements like the "???" objective mentionned by glitch earlier and it is kinda fun to figure out their solutions.

The slowdown is not too bad in the first "degree" (world) but it gets much more noticeable later on. It was a bit weird at first but you get used to it. The fact that ennemies shoot fast bullets also helps, as the slowdown makes them easier to dodge. It is as if the patterns were designed with the game engine's tendancy to slow down whenever a few big ennemies show up.

Karous BoR also has lots of unlockables, including weapons and cosmetic changes to the ship. Leveling-up the weapons and finding new ones provides you with motivation to clear more missions, and the weapons themselves are really fun to use, as in the Milestone games. Actually, the weapon list expands upon what was in the original Karous and adds more toys to play with.

The music is not as good as in Karous, mostly due to the shorter length of the tracks, but there are some nice tunes. The first mission track and the menu theme are quite cool for instance. Speaking of the menu, it is very well designed, stylish and functionnal, both before and during the missions. The only gripes I could have with it is the omission of a "back" button when you have chosen a mission and are selecting your equipment and the lack of a pause button while in a mission.

Karous : The Beast of Re:Eden is not a game that I could recommend to anyone, it is probably even harder to get into than the arcade Milestone games, but if you don't expect something traditional and don't mind a home-console oriented shmup, it is fun, and defintely worth the paltry price of admission on the Western eShops. Hopefully, Radirgy DGJL and Illvelo DillinJah will come over here as well, I would totally buy them without hesitation.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project