WipEout

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
ZellSF

Re: WipEout

Post by ZellSF »

null1024 wrote:
Skyline wrote:
ZellSF wrote:
No, Wipeout Fusion does not exist. Actually I should probably give that another go now that I'm more familiar with the series... or should I?
If you like disappointment, sure. You're just fine giving Fusion a pass.
Yeah, really no point.

Also, you can't get Wipeout 3, XL, or Pure on the Vita? That's a bit disappointing...
One of the many reasons I hope for a hacked Vita sometime in the future...

Wipeout 3 in widescreen on the Vita's OLED with the Vita's analog stick would be so nice.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

XoPachi wrote:When did they drop any hints? Because iirc Miyamoto's own mouth basically said the series was dead with and I quote "I don't see how the series can evolve anymore" as if anything from them has evolved since 2006. 9-9
I understand they would have to outsource it and are clueless as to where.
Personally I wouldn't mind Criterion, but aren't they owned by EA? That would be pricey. Nadeo doesn't sound too unreasonable, though.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

Vamos

Post by Vamos »

Fusion is absolutely worth it solely for zone mode as demonstrated here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0EL_bo_n3Y
Austin

Post by Austin »

The Wipeout series is excellent overall, and it will be missed. My favorite is Wipeout 64. The precision of the 64's analog stick works perfectly for the game.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

I keep forgetting about Wipeout 64 for some reason. Played it some today, which surprisingly worked well with the only N64 controller I had.

I can't play Wipeout 3 on 5/6 of my DualShock/2 controllers because of the tight deadzone setting on that game and almost all my controllers drifting way out of that deadzone by default.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Just got a NeGcon. Though it would take me lots of time to adjust playing with it.. less than an hour and it's completely natural to play with it. Well not really for Wipeout 3SE since hitting the A button for hyper boost and holding it down midrace seems practically impossible. Controller seems to be in good condition too, I have no need for a deadzone and mechanically it feels perfectly working. Only problem is that the start button is sticky but really who cares.

Still really bad at the PSX era Wipeouts... they aren't exactly easy, are they.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Excellent acquisition. I've been meaning to really dig into Wipeout XL, if you want to get some time attack going. Guess I should get 3SE at some point, but the thought of 50hz racing feels wrong...
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Ghegs wrote:Excellent acquisition. I've been meaning to really dig into Wipeout XL, if you want to get some time attack going.
No, I'm still terrible and I'm not getting better fast :(

Took me much shorter time to learn the PSP/PS3/PSV games.
Guess I should get 3SE at some point, but the thought of 50hz racing feels wrong...
Speed feels well adjusted, coming from NTSC Wipeout and PC Wipeout XL (running at 30 FPS, which I assume is the correct framerate for the game), It's at the very least not extreme PAL slowdown. Then again it could be and I can't detect it because I'm not that familiar with the games yet.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

3SE is brilliant as hell. I really wish there was an NTSC release. WO3's reputation would be a lot better if SE was released outside of Europe, the tweaks it makes [both visual and handling] and the extra courses are worth it.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

null1024 wrote:3SE is brilliant as hell. I really wish there was an NTSC release. WO3's reputation would be a lot better if SE was released outside of Europe, the tweaks it makes [both visual and handling] and the extra courses are worth it.
Also, autoloading of saved games and 4 player multiplayer... I say knowing I'll never get 3 other people to play it with me and I don't have two PSX consoles anyway. Oh, and you can go to the next track after a race without having to leave to the menu, that's sort of nice too.

Edit: And I read there's some sort of bug with the dual analog driver on the original release making you go to the options menu each time you start the game, that's supposedly something that's been fixed in the SE. Probably was fixed in later re-releases of 3 too.
Last edited by ZellSF on Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

ZellSF wrote:
null1024 wrote:3SE is brilliant as hell. I really wish there was an NTSC release. WO3's reputation would be a lot better if SE was released outside of Europe, the tweaks it makes [both visual and handling] and the extra courses are worth it.
Also, autoloading of saved games and 4 player multiplayer... I say knowing I'll never get 3 other people to play it with me and I don't have two PSX consoles anyway. Oh, and you can go to the next track after a race without having to leave to the menu, that's sort of nice too.
Ja, I'd adore being able to have some 4 player Wipeout 3 action. You can do 4 player link races in stock Wipeout 3, but the option is is hidden.
The next race button in 3SE is easily worth the price of admission alone. :lol:
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

null1024 wrote:
ZellSF wrote:
Ja, I'd adore being able to have some 4 player Wipeout 3 action. You can do 4 player link races in stock Wipeout 3, but the option is is hidden.
Huh, the Wipeout Wiki said it was exclusive to the SE. If I wasn't too lazy I would fix that :P
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Wipeout HD + Fury + 2048 Remaster coming. I think that's good news, especially since it probably means 2048 in 60 FPS.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

For sure it's better news than continued "nothing at all". As one who managed to more or less miss out on those last three games, I'll benefit quite a bit personally.
Triple Lei

Post by Triple Lei »

Holy shit.

Let's hope they actually allow us to choose our track & speed class for 2048 multiplayer this time!

Not looking forward to unlocking WOHD's "Bling Brigade" trophy again, or going through any part of 2048's online campaign.
Domino

Post by Domino »

With my short time with the Vita I enjoyed 2048. Most likely day one for me.
Austin

Post by Austin »

Excellent news. I missed out on the recent games so I'll eventually pick up the remasters.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Sweet! I'll be getting a PS4 soon and it looks like I have something else to look forward to playing.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

There's some 4K footage of a demo already:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w-zdzvCbI8
PowerofElsydeon

Post by PowerofElsydeon »

excuse me I've posted this on Wipeout's forum "Wipeoutzone" but since no one gave me anwers I'm transferin it here

I didn't know much about this Wonderfull franchise of wicked racers 'cause I ve only got to buy the Saturn version of the original on last december
But even then I've watched some reviews and stuff so I always knew this Wipeout franchise is the shit
In fact I feel sorry I didn't get to play theese games sooner as I've heard that Daytona and Sega Rally were the Saturn Racerz
Well I've got in soo love with the game just by playing the first level while humming to the awesome music
However I was really disturbed when I saw the congratulations message just within the second day of serious play

So I've mastered the legendary wicked mother****ing Wipeout in 2 dayz
Kind off
You see It appears that the Saturn versions is easy as hell and this **** review is freekin ridiculoso
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmWRJkhYa4w

Im aware the difficulty is still no joke but if you crash into a wall in this Saturn version it's no big deal in fact sometimes is good idea to strategicly crash into the walls when the craft is going way too fast rather then taking your foot off the gas or really braking
I wish the game was harsher like the Ps1 version 'cuzthat's one of the reasons I love Arcade Gaming
But on the other hand this Saturn version is much faster like theese AG Racers are suposed to be

So if you veterens don't mind plz explain a bit more in depth the differences between the two versions of the Games
And what do you think is the best plaiyn Wipout?
And wich do you think has the best soundtrack?
And how about Wipeout 2097 is there anything gameplay difference between the Ps1 and Sat versions? 7

And what do you think of 1ccing Saturn Wipeout 'n Wipeout 2097 in 2 days each
And perfect runs in just week? no big deal or kickass achievement?

http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showth ... post249451
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

ZellSF wrote:Wipeout HD + Fury + 2048 Remaster coming. I think that's good news, especially since it probably means 2048 in 60 FPS.
More on this:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017- ... s4-in-june
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
Cee
Banned User

Post by Cee »

PowerofElsydeon wrote:
And what do you think of 1ccing Saturn Wipeout 'n Wipeout 2097 in 2 days each
And perfect runs in just week? no big deal or kickass achievement?

http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showth ... post249451

The ps1 version has more brutal collision that cripples speed and sends you into a bounce frenzy as for the other bit completing wipeout games means nothing imo it's all about good phantom race times that's when you'll find what difficulty and grinding means. Here's an example of top tier play, try replicating those lines and execution or getting even within 20 seconds of his time. BTW for any other wipeout fanatics like myself go get BallisticNG on steam as its free with constant wip and is extremely close to the feel of the originals and best (actually it feels like wipeout 64 the most) it's amazing has online races and time leaderboards.

Edit: forgot link lel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_VbjOxsA0g
Last edited by Cee on Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HydrogLox

Post by HydrogLox »

After Mark Bussler's review (who tends to be fairly forgiving) it never occurred to me to try the Saturn version given that I already owned the NA PS1 version Wipeout XL.
Cee wrote:BTW for any other wipeout fanatics like myself go get BallisticNG on steam as its free

I like the fact that they apparently prioritized gameplay and the wipeout feel over glitzy graphics to make the experience available to an extremely wide range of PC hardware.

wipeout xl perfect flight Piranha Phantom class Sagarmatha
Cee
Banned User

Post by Cee »

They actually did it to make it more authentic to the early games so being playable on a wide spectrum of machines is just a bonus part of the circumstance. For people like myself who only care about time attacking they even included an unlock everything option in "profile" menu.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

So this is a thing:
https://github.com/wipeout-phantom-edit ... om-edition
Probably a port/update of the leaked source code of the original Wipeout PC version. No source available despite being on Github, potentially to hide the legally dubious origin of the source?
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

I was going to post this news earlier but got sidetracked. This is a great unofficial remaster. Major props to the developer. I highly recommend all you racings fans (Hi Ghegs!) download it and give it a go. I spent about a week playing this and had a blast. Despite being a huge fan of XL and 3 (but not Fusion) I never spent much time with the first one (the final track was just too brutal with the physics) but this remaster really shaves down the rough edges.

Here's hoping XL and 3 are next.

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/wipeout- ... -controls/
WipeOut Phantom Edition supports uncapped frame rate and high resolution rendering. It also supports distant geometry fade, allowing objects to fade into view smoothly with minimal pop-ins. Not only that, but PC gamers can expect increased view distance, ship lighting, and “PSX-accurate rasterization and blending.”
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

But can you map the controls so it works with a neGcon using a PS1-to-PC adapter?
scrilla4rella wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:54 am(Hi Ghegs!)
Hello!

Also, I moved this thread to Other Gaming.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

Ghegs wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:28 pm But can you map the controls so it works with a neGcon using a PS1-to-PC adapter?
neGcon support is unknown. Maybe I can try and test it. Unfortunately my PS1-to-PC adapter is super laggy.
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

Someone still playing it online? i was in Top 1000 EU rankings (HD and Fury).