WipEout

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
XoPachi

WipEout

Post by XoPachi »

Anyone play it? Online (HD/Fury, PurE, PulsE, 2048)?

Has got to be my favorite racing game franchise. For a time F-Zero held that spot. Sadly, Sony killed off Studio Liverpool/Psygnosis recently so as it stands, WipEout 2048 was the series swan song. I love this series to death and when I look back on it, for me, it literally did no wrong. While some titles deviated I enjoyed every one in the series. It didn't fall victim to shameless DLC whoring, day one patches, and at it made sure to give Sony platforms something good to play at their launch almost every release. It hasn't skipped a single generation of Sony handhelds or consoles in the release of the PS1. Always keeping up with imperative trends but never letting them get in the way and alienating it's loyal admittedly niche audience.
It's the one series I truly felt the developers always paid very close attention to their fans to the end.

It wasn't always a Sony exclusive as there was a release on Saturn, PC, and N64, but for the most part it stays on Playstation.
Specineff

Re: WipEout

Post by Specineff »

Fell in love with the series since the first preview pics. XL and of course Fusion didn't appeal to me as much as the first one, but 3 felt like the pinnacle of the series to me. The PSP ones felt okay. Haven't tried Fury or 2048.

Shame Sony killed the studio, but it's not like they've been known for smart business decisions these past years, anyway. (In before PCEFX informative post)
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
TrevHead (TVR)

Post by TrevHead (TVR) »

I don't have a PS3 but it's my favorite racer series and was really bummed out that Sony has axed the series as I was looking forward to playing that WipEout studio Liverpool were making for the PS4.

Given all the hint's Nintendo were dropping about a WiiU F-zero it's rather shitty of Miyamoto to just use the anti grav as a feature set on Mario Kart FFS :roll:
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

TrevHead (TVR) wrote:I don't have a PS3 but it's my favorite racer series and was really bummed out that Sony has axed the series as I was looking forward to playing that WipEout studio Liverpool were making for the PS4.

Given all the hint's Nintendo were dropping about a WiiU F-zero it's rather shitty of Miyamoto to just use the anti grav as a feature set on Mario Kart FFS :roll:
When did they drop any hints? Because iirc Miyamoto's own mouth basically said the series was dead with and I quote "I don't see how the series can evolve anymore" as if anything from them has evolved since 2006. 9-9
HydrogLox

Post by HydrogLox »

Anybody into WipEout should also give Nick Burcombe's/Curly Monsters' Quantum Redshift for the original Xbox (works on Xbox 360) a go. This was my first exposure and for years I didn't know about the WipEout connection until I got a PSP 2000, WipEout Pure and Pulse.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Wipeout Pure, XL, and 3 [Special Edition at least, ws] are some of my favorite racing games. Still haven't gotten around to getting HD/Fury.
Can't stand the first game [collisions] or Fusion [everything]. I'm a little bit indifferent on Pulse, but it's good.
Only time I've played 2048 is at a Vita demo kiosk.

I hope Studio Liverpool's dissolution doesn't mean there aren't going to be any more Wipeout games.

And on an F-Zero note, that would probably make me buy a Wii U.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

WipEout 64 is the hardest racing game I've ever played. A lot of people say F-Zero GX is, but I honestly find most WipEout games to be much more unforgiving. But they aren't broken thank goodness.
Gespenst

Post by Gespenst »

Apparently someone's making a fanmade spiritual successor to Wipeout, and there's a playable demo too (1-track time trial only though)
http://www.slipstreamgx.com/
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

XoPachi wrote:WipEout 64 is the hardest racing game I've ever played. A lot of people say F-Zero GX is, but I honestly find most WipEout games to be much more unforgiving. But they aren't broken thank goodness.
It was my first N64 racer. I remember going to the score and asking which was better, F-Zero or Wipeout 64.

It's such a different style of racer, but I love that intense speed, it's crazy in a very different way than F-Zero is. I remember it took me ages to get used to air braking in turns, but I still love the game. I actually like Wip3out a lot too, but that's because I love the surreal aesthetic of the prototype tracks (very minimal graphics, no textures). I love that kind of thing for some reason (same goes for those trippy, surreal time trials maps in Mirror's Edge).
dcharlieJP

Post by dcharlieJP »

I studied in Liverpool - the Game in town had the first Wipeout running on a big screen prior to the PSX launch. Fell in love with it then. Gutted the series is no more - though 2048 / HD / Fury on a handheld is a dream , and the ps3 versions are obviously awesome.

Gutted we wont see a Wipeout at Ps4 launch - feels hollow :(
"It's really the only sensible thing to do, if its done safely. Therapeutically there's no danger involved."
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Most of my gaming time now is divided between Wipeout XL (PC), Wipeout Pulse, Wipeout Pure, Wipeout HD and Wipeout 2048. Want to get the PSN classic version of the first game to see if input lag on Vita's PSX emulator is tolerable.

If anyone's playing the PSP versions, remember that installing CFW is practically required for playing Wipeout. It's really easy and your framerates will go from 30~ to 60~.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

ZellSF wrote:If anyone's playing the PSP versions, remember that installing CFW is practically required for playing Wipeout. It's really easy and your framerates will go from 30~ to 60~.
This, so much. Put the game on your memory stick [UMD load times are the worst] and clock that PSP at a full 333. Installing CFW is practically a requirement for having a PSP just so you can make the thing run at full speed. :P

You won't get so close to 60fps in Pulse [unless you're doing time trial or zone, where there's nothing else on the track], but Pure tends to hit 60fps fairly often in normal races.

Slipstream GX looks neat. Seems to take Pure's design sense to heart. I'd try the demo, but I'm on my Linux machine right now, and it's 4am.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

I adore Wipeout. First game series to really validate 32bit for me.

2097 is the absolute pinnacle of the series. I've played them all to death, and that one remains undisputed champion: the most finely tuned physics and balanced ship range set against the most absurdly refined (and unashamedly devious) track design in the entire series. Its's campaign is also the best in terms of difficulty curve.

When you're snaking courses on 2097 at top speed, gliding between speed boosts and murdering the opposition with insta-kill weaponry, taking in the incredible used future atmosphere and blasting the audio, it's an adrenaline high like few I've experienced in gaming. Nuff respect to Studio Liverpool for one of the greatest sequels ever.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Slipstream GX is pretty good. We had a (shamefully) small competition event for it on Rolling Start, I've been meaning to go back and improve my time on it. I should be able to cut at least a few seconds off my 02:21:38 time.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Last Guardian

Post by Last Guardian »

Played some HD/ Fury last night but couldn't play online, did they take down the server for this?
Airspace under control get back 100 %
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Skykid wrote:I adore Wipeout. First game series to really validate 32bit for me.

2097 is the absolute pinnacle of the series. I've played them all to death, and that one remains undisputed champion: the most finely tuned physics and balanced ship range set against the most absurdly refined (and unashamedly devious) track design in the entire series. Its's campaign is also the best in terms of difficulty curve.

When you're snaking courses on 2097 at top speed, gliding between speed boosts and murdering the opposition with insta-kill weaponry, taking in the incredible used future atmosphere and blasting the audio, it's an adrenaline high like few I've experienced in gaming. Nuff respect to Studio Liverpool for one of the greatest sequels ever.
Wipeout XL is good stuff. I miss having pictures of the racers, though.
XoPachi wrote:Because iirc Miyamoto's own mouth basically said the series was dead with and I quote "I don't see how the series can evolve anymore" as if anything from them has evolved since 2006. 9-9
I read that too. I can't help but wonder if the lack of F-Zero titles has to do with the anime and the titles based on it, though. F-Zero Climax was the only F-Zero game that didn't reach the states. I was not thrilled that the two anime based games were handled by some company named Suzak and seemed less polished in some ways (I did like them, especially Climax, though). I just feel that more could have been done with them on GBA. US/EU companies experimented with polygonal games on GBA, but the GBA F-Zeros didn't really do much more than the courses on SNES, though they did add N64 style boosting and destroying opponent cars.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

BrianC wrote: Wipeout XL is good stuff. I miss having pictures of the racers, though.
It's 2097! XL is the name Sony gave to Japan and the US because you weren't cool enough to handle gritty fashionable English nuances.

I was actually really happy to see pics of the racers go, I always felt Wipeout worked better as a serious futuristic racing game and the companies (qirex, feisar etc) were more than enough representation. You're the pilot!

Portraits are better in F-Zero, since it has the whole comic book science fantasy thing going on.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Skykid wrote:Portraits are better in F-Zero, since it has the whole comic book science fantasy thing going on.
I like them in the N64 and GCN games, but while I like some designs in the second and third GBA games, others, especially the characters created for the anime, are a bit questionable. Lucy Liberty? I know the anime was butchered a bit for the US, but the original JP names were pretty cheesy, as well. I'm curious how poorly F-Zero Climax sold in Japan since play-asia put it on sale quite a bit when it was in print.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

null1024 wrote:Wipeout Pure, XL, and 3 [Special Edition at least, ws] are some of my favorite racing games. Still haven't gotten around to getting HD/Fury.
Can't stand the first game [collisions] or Fusion [everything]. I'm a little bit indifferent on Pulse, but it's good.
Only time I've played 2048 is at a Vita demo kiosk.

I hope Studio Liverpool's dissolution doesn't mean there aren't going to be any more Wipeout games.

And on an F-Zero note, that would probably make me buy a Wii U.
Yep, playing the PS3 d/l games of Wipeout HD and it's Fury counterpart is pure gaming heaven if played on a 1080p HDTV setup with the 60fps framerate spec.

Even playing the GCN game of FZero-GX with a modded component video or Japanese D-Terminal cable to VGA and piped into an UVc setup = crazy fast 60fps arcade-spec racing at it's best (has built-in support for either 4:3 & 16:9 based screens indeed). Even better with a proper Logitech GCN force-feedback steering wheel setup.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Last edited by PC Engine Fan X! on Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

BrianC wrote: I read that too. I can't help but wonder if the lack of F-Zero titles has to do with the anime and the titles based on it, though. F-Zero Climax was the only F-Zero game that didn't reach the states. I was not thrilled that the two anime based games were handled by some company named Suzak and seemed less polished in some ways (I did like them, especially Climax, though). I just feel that more could have been done with them on GBA. US/EU companies experimented with polygonal games on GBA, but the GBA F-Zeros didn't really do much more than the courses on SNES, though they did add N64 style boosting and destroying opponent cars.
First, I'm glad this forum loves this game series. I didn't think this thread would get any replies.
And I just know Nintendo isn't making an F-Zero because it won't sell like Mario Kart. lol
They can make any excuse pretending otherwise all day. We aren't stupid. We know how corporations work and Nintendo is no different.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Skykid wrote:
BrianC wrote: Wipeout XL is good stuff. I miss having pictures of the racers, though.
It's 2097! XL is the name Sony gave to Japan and the US because you weren't cool enough to handle gritty fashionable English nuances.

I was actually really happy to see pics of the racers go, I always felt Wipeout worked better as a serious futuristic racing game and the companies (qirex, feisar etc) were more than enough representation. You're the pilot!

Portraits are better in F-Zero, since it has the whole comic book science fantasy thing going on.
The racer portraits were kind of neat in the first game, but I don't miss them.
Say, did 2097 have all that Red Bull product placement like XL? That was silly.

And 2097/XL is really great, there's nothing like zipping above the road hearing Firestarter.

3's design sense wins for me, although the only good way to play 3 is to play the PAL only Special Edition. The extra courses, balance changes, and general tweaks are all worth it. 3 might be better remembered if SE was the original release. Gorgeous game too, running at 640x256. Slightly idyllic, slightly urban decay. Cool course design. Very stylish, great handling, shame the soundtrack isn't as good as XL's though.
PC Engine Fan X!

It was as close to approaching VR when playing in 1st person viewpoint mode with Wipeout XL/2097 with the obligatory Namco produced NegCon controller.

NegCon Factoid: It was SCEA themselves whom distributed those white colored NegCons sold in the USA back in 1996-1997. Came with a MSRP of $54.99 USD back in the day. The JogCon controllers didn't appear stateside until the USA region PSX RR4 LE sets that came bundled with one + a RR4 T-Shirt in May of 1999.

What's even better is playing a serious head-to-head session of Wipeout XL using two PSX consoles with a link-up cable setup. Meant having two CRT-based TVs as well -- those were the days of Wipeout lore.

On the very last lap of Wipeout HD/Fury...it's possible to get beaten by a fellow racer by a mere .002 of a second to decide between placing either in 1st or 2nd at the finish line (if racing nose to nose within the same class) -- tis a shame that there's no mode to view it as a "finish line" replay feature if cutting that close (or down to the wire) on approaching the winner's circle though. That's an option/feature I'd like to see implemented with Wipeout HD/Fury indeed.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
null1024

Post by null1024 »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:The JogCon controllers didn't appear stateside until the USA region PSX RR4 LE sets that came bundled with one + a RR4 T-Shirt in May of 1999.
It would be nice if the JogCon worked with anything other than R4 and Ridge Racer 5. I wish it had a neGcon compatibility mode. They'd probably be more sought after though, they're really cheap to get nowadays due to the lack of neGcon support.

I really wish I had a neGcon, playing Wipeout XL and Ridge Racer Revolution with one would be ideal. Even Wipeout Fusion on the PS2 still supports the neGcon. Apparently, all the console Wipeout games [excluding the [PAL only?] Pulse PS2 port, which doesn't support it] are known to have brilliant neGcon support.

Until the DualShock, the neGcon was the analog controller for the PS1.
PC Engine Fan X!

I recall one of my local Gamestops had a used JogCon priced at a mere $5.00. Picked it up as a backup controller for those ace four-player racing sessions via RR4, two PSX consoles and the obligatory system link-up cable. It's a lot of fun with three pals or chumps racing for the trophy on the last lap.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
dcharlieJP

Post by dcharlieJP »

I have three Wipeout team tshirts (Feisar , Goteki 45, and Triakis) - wish i'd picked up more teams when i had the chance :/ They're a bit worn now too and now i'm a hell of a lot thinner than i was Feisar and Goteki are a bit on the baggy side whilst the Triakis that was originally more like a boobtube now fits fine.

Also - playing Wipeout HD/Fury on PS3 in 3D is pretty :O
"It's really the only sensible thing to do, if its done safely. Therapeutically there's no danger involved."
WarpZone

Post by WarpZone »

I recently got back into the series with Pulse and enjoyed it, though I was getting annoyed with the AI weapon spam and prefer the physics of the PS1/N64 games.

While in most racers I go straight to the grand prix, it says a lot that I found the Zone mode the highlight here, just battling against the course and increasing speed (which also is a great way of giving you a preview of higher speeds that will eventually become the norm). Makes me want to try Wipeout HD someday.
dcharlieJP

Post by dcharlieJP »

Zone mode on HD / Fury / 2048 is a religious experience
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

I like my portable Wipeout machine :). A shame Wipeout Pure won't work on a Vita and Wipeout XL and 3 are both entirely absent from PSN. Just ordered a used NeGcon (just to see how it is, might buy a new one later if I like it) and Wipeout 3 Special Edition.

Sorry, pointless topic revival to tell everyone: buy Wipeout, Wipeout 2097, Wipeout 3 Special Edition, Wipeout Pure, Wipeout Pulse, Wipeout HD and Wipeout 2048 right now. Yes all of them.

No, Wipeout Fusion does not exist. Actually I should probably give that another go now that I'm more familiar with the series... or should I?
Skyline

Post by Skyline »

ZellSF wrote:
No, Wipeout Fusion does not exist. Actually I should probably give that another go now that I'm more familiar with the series... or should I?
If you like disappointment, sure. You're just fine giving Fusion a pass.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Skyline wrote:
ZellSF wrote:
If you like disappointment, sure. You're just fine giving Fusion a pass.
Yeah, really no point.

Also, you can't get Wipeout 3, XL, or Pure on the Vita? That's a bit disappointing...