New Strider game...

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
MOSQUITO FIGHTER

Re: New Strider game...

Post by MOSQUITO FIGHTER »

Who do you think should be developing the new Stirder? I'm wondering why they didn't get Inti Creates, Treasure, G-Rev, or that guy who made Noitu Love 2.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

boagman wrote:
Skykid wrote:Umm... does it really look that bad?

I think it looks kind of okay. Maybe I'm weird. :idea:
I'm going to go with that last idea, there. ;)

I guess how it "looks" depends on your perspective. Graphically speaking, I guess that it "looks" okay...pretty good, even. I'm with the others who say that it lacks color, but beyond that, I'd say that it's nice-looking.

From a gameplay perspective, though? They've not just "denounced" Strider's soul (couldn't resist...sorry), they've stolen it. I'm honestly offended by the "remakeishness" of the whole thing. I'll say this, as well: if you don't put the "Strider" moniker on there, I probably don't have any objection to it whatsoever (caveat: you're right about the Tarantino-esque BS and the voice acting, natch). Once you attach the word "Strider", you're playing not just with a still-living legend, but an incredibly high water mark in terms of gaming. It's a *standard-bearer*, for crying out loud. Use it at your own risk. Here, they've failed to capture Strider's spirit, in my opinion.

They've changed the very nature of the beast, I'm afraid. It's akin to coming out with a new Ferrari...with a V6 and excellent gas mileage, with a 0-60MPH time of 12.6 seconds! And it's a *hybrid*! With a rear seat DVD player and cup holders, cup holders, and even *more* cup holders!

Names mean something because they've earned their place. The very best names aren't above being paid homage to...but you'd better be darned sure you know how to do it up *right* if you're going to stake your claim using a great name. For my money, these folks aren't even in the right universe, nor any that are in parallel to the right one. They might call it a duck, but it sure doesn't walk or talk like a duck to me. It's *not* stinking Strider. What it *is*, I don't know, and I'm not entirely convinced that the thing that they've made is a bad *thing*. It might very well be something decently strong.

It's an atrocity to use the Strider name with what that gameplay video shows, though. As I said: there's missing, and then there's *MISSING*. While UG&G might have taken some liberties (greatly helped in the Kai re-release), this thing just nukes the original's gameplay without aforethought, consequences be darned. "We've got an idea!" does *not* translate into "We can 'reimagine' Strider!"

Or, at least, it should not.
Again, all you guys are starting to sound like me with the pessimism. In this case, I don't share it entirely.

I understand your criticisms, and I have several of my own (largely aesthetic eccentricities... and probably the fact it's 'westernised' to a degree) but beggars can't be choosers.

Capcom aren't about to give Strider the treatment it deserves, perhaps ever. If this is the best we can hope for, I'm willing to give it a chance.

Honestly, all bets are off until I've actually played it. I thought Hard Corps Uprising looked superb before I picked up the pad, and what a barrel-load of shit that turned out to be.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

iconoclast

Post by iconoclast »

Ed Oscuro wrote:The soldiers we're all watching at the beginning of the game seem to roll bullets into Hiryu before the player can really even react.
jepjepjep wrote:The first minute or so he is just running forward absorbing bullets without even having to slow down or attempt to avoid them.
And this is why the game looks bad. Some enemies start firing at you before they even appear on screen, leaving you no time to react to their attacks. But why does that matter when you can just absorb all of it? :lol:

I'm not a fan of the non-linear Metroid progression, either. A proper action game would've been better. This whole thing is just disappointing, but else can you expect out of Capcom these days?
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

Skykid wrote: Again, all you guys are starting to sound like me with the pessimism. In this case, I don't share it entirely.
And I'm with you. The gameplay is all I'm worried about, and this could be an issue with this early build. Although not a perfect game, I went back and played some of Outland last night, and honestly it has pretty tight gameplay and a good bit of 'twitch-i-ness' going on. That's what I really want from Strider is the twitch factor. They can bungle a lot of things, but I don't want an RPG strider (MoonDiver) and I don't want to tank hits. I want to twitch my way through the game with mad skills. If they can do that and make a game even as good as Outland I'll be pretty happy. I'm not expecting a game as good as Strider 1 or 2, but if they are going to call it Strider, please keep the core game mechanics the same.

And yeah, what GP said!
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
Eugenics: you know it's right!
SHMUP sale page.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Skykid wrote:but beggars can't be choosers.
I disagree :wink:
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
boagman

Post by boagman »

Skykid wrote:beggars can't be choosers.

Capcom aren't about to give Strider the treatment it deserves, perhaps ever. If this is the best we can hope for, I'm willing to give it a chance.
I don't recall begging, ever. If they're going to do it *right*, I guess I'm at least open to it. If they're not going to, leave it the heck alone! I'd rather they left it alone forever. The original is never *not* going to be a legend...crap like this only serves to malign its good name.

Your last sentence is, axiomatically, where we're never going to see eye-to-eye.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

trap15 wrote:
Skykid wrote:but beggars can't be choosers.
I disagree :wink:
But think about the state of things. What do you wish for?
Something or nothing? In this case I think the something could be worse.

trap15

Post by trap15 »

I either want something good, or nothing. Especially if you're going to use the name of one of the greatest games in the medium's history.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Hagane

Post by Hagane »

Graphically looks fine, as far as modern 3D goes. But it seems to play terribly bad. Looks like every action sidescroller franchise has to be watered down to some metroidvania crap to sell. At least they didn't make it something like DmC like I was expecting, but I still won't play something like this.
rugdoctor

Post by rugdoctor »

At least its not on par with Strider II :twisted:
TrevHead (TVR)

Post by TrevHead (TVR) »

Yeah it's certainly no Strider 1, although the gameplay does look fast and fluid which hopefully should be enjoyable, if the difficulty and level design ramps up. I want some puzzles / obstacles to overcome even if it's just some good boss fights, it was those that made the original the classic it is.

Normally when I see remakes of 2D arcade games I'm usually saying GTFO! with the rest of you chaps, however been negative about everything is getting rather tiring so I'll try to be positive for a change.

I feel much the same way about that Flashback remake in been positive and ignoring the alarm bells in the back of my mind telling me it'll be a shit game.
Pretas wrote:Nearly all of Capcom's veteran Japanese staff have jumped ship to other companies at this point. SFIV and MvC3 were both outsourced.
Wow I didn't know that! It really does look like Capcom has no talent left to handle their IPs. :shock: (not that I liked MvC3 anyway)
Austin

Post by Austin »

I think the game is going to be fine. That is, outside of the stupid browns, greys and (oh hey look!) dark greens. Blech.
rugdoctor

Post by rugdoctor »

the outsourcing of sfiv is to DIMPS right? Which is made up of ex-SNK staff who used to work for Capcom? Circle of life.

http://www.siliconera.com/2008/07/28/th ... interview/
MOSQUITO FIGHTER

Post by MOSQUITO FIGHTER »

The music is bad.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

trap15 wrote:I either want something good, or nothing. Especially if you're going to use the name of one of the greatest games in the medium's history.
Well I never agreed with that sentiment anyway, I've always been vocal that I feel the original Strider is a good game, but overrated. I prefer Strider 2 in a big way.

TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Only issue I see is the weird bullet-spam/massive health bar. I assume with all the upgrades within seconds of each other, that this is just a demo level. But yeah, it does seem to be you either insta-kill enemies or they pop off a barrage of unavoidable bullets... which don't seem to affect you in any way.

But then, I think the SMS version of Strider II is a good game so what do I know? :?
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

trap15 wrote:I either want something good, or nothing. Especially if you're going to use the name of one of the greatest games in the medium's history.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

Yeah I spent some more time thinking about this video and wrapping my head around the fact that as a 'Strideroid', it really isn't going to be the same as arcade Strider, so just go ahead and put a 'Gaiden' next to the title if you want to. I'm sure, even on this board, someone bitches about how much Symphony of the Night ruined Castlevania, but it doesn't make SotN less of an amazing game. Its also worth noting that both Strider 1 & 2 (and someone tell Rugdoctor about the good Strider 2 as he's missing out on a truly great game) are games that can be beat in under 30 minutes. I'm not saying the developer is good or thoughtful, but if I was handed this project I'd at least have to consider that the modern console market isn't gonna let me get away with a 30 minute arcade game. This might be a great compromise.

All that said, the game could be a big steaming turd. I just don't want to bring in the pessimism when I genuinely enjoy metroidvanias and I love the strider character. It won't be Strider 3, but it could be a good game.
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
SHMUP sale page.
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

Pessimistic? No. Skeptical? Yes. But anyway, what I've seen so far doesn't look as bad as what I expected.

The enemies shooting at you from offscreen have to go, and so does the lame voice acting. "I denounce your soul"? This is not that House of the Dead kind of bad. It's just lame. "I'll crush your soul" would be better. The BGM just didn't grab me like Strider 1's & 2's soundtracks.

Expectations being kept low to avoid disappointment.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

MommysBestGames wrote:also .. they called it "Strider"? Come on. Anything extra would help.. don't pretend this is the definitive Strider now. Geez. Just add something to it.. I was joking about Strider Complex, but Strider Gaiden would fit pretty well. Right? Doesn't that roughly mean "side story", which would fit how they're turning the thing from linear action into Metroidvania.
How about StR?

(No I'm not getting over Devil May Cry 5.)
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

When cry babies attack....
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
No_not_like_Quake

Post by No_not_like_Quake »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vixgHoqr510

It shows that this team is not used to making 2D action games, with bizarre shit like bullet spam being fired in a way that you can't avoid taking some hits, off screen enemies shooting at you and camera set too close. They need to focus on correcting those things because they are fundamental.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

That camera really is zoomed in too close to see what's ahead, especially when the player takes up so much of the screen. And what's up with the health? It seems like hitting enemies regenerates it or something, so anytime he gets shot by a grunt he gets the health back when he kills it, rendering the bullets they fire a bit moot.

Granted, it's an obvious demo level and it could simply be played by someone who isn't doing so well, and the actual game does punish you more heavily for getting hit... but it does raise some serious questions.
Stormwatch

Post by Stormwatch »

Am I the only one who thinks Strider 2 is not a very good game? There's no cogent level design, it's just snippets of stages, like something Psikyo would do. The music is absolutely bland, and... where the fuck are the voices? Seriously, if they had reused the audio from Tiertex's Strider II, it would have been a major improvement.
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

Stormwatch wrote:Am I the only one who thinks Strider 2 is not a very good game?
It's just you.
SHMUP sale page.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

BareknuckleRoo wrote:And what's up with the health? It seems like hitting enemies regenerates it or something, so anytime he gets shot by a grunt he gets the health back when he kills it, rendering the bullets they fire a bit moot.
Actually, from the video, I'm under the impression that it's more of a Metroid-ish thing where the enemies drop health and Strider quickly absorbs it. I'm not completely sure on this, but I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case with all the Metroidvania-ish design going on.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Watching the demo, I have these suspicions:

-When capcom says "most of the Strider team is working on design with Double Helix doing the grunt work" they really mean "We just say the original team is involved to avoid alienating the fans (and/or trick them into buying the game)"

-The attacks happening off-screen need to go. It screams "lazy programming."

-The Strider theme will be the only piece of music in the entire game - the rest will be forgettable ambient techno noise.

That being said, it doesn't look all that bad. If those fears above are allayed, I'd be pretty happy with the product.
shmuppyLove

Post by shmuppyLove »

What was up with that NES port of Strider?

That shit was pretty weird.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

BrianC wrote:Actually, from the video, I'm under the impression that it's more of a Metroid-ish thing where the enemies drop health and Strider quickly absorbs it. I'm not completely sure on this, but I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case with all the Metroidvania-ish design going on.
I wonder... what with the power upgrades and all, maybe they are trying to turn it into a full blown Metroidvania style game rather than go for the more arcade style thing.
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

SHMUP sale page.