GD: DOJ system and strat

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
jpj

Post by jpj »

well, after you kill the power-up ship (by holding laser) you just carry on holding it in the same place to kill the turret coming onto screen (make sure to go to C shot as soon as you hear the explosion). if it's before that, what you need to be doing is lightly tapping C once a second while in hyper state, so as not to kill the small tanks too quickly

one other weird thing about going from ddp to doj is that collecting power-ups temporarily breaks your laser. bear this in mind :!: it's important in stage 1 at that segment, and also stage 2 midboss. very annoying

also, forgot to say, after you kill the big turret on stage 1 near the start, you need to tap C on the small tanks at the left. sorry, forgot about that :oops:
RegalSin wrote:Videogames took my life away like the Natives during colonial times.
captpain

Post by captpain »

jpj wrote: one other weird thing about going from ddp to doj is that collecting power-ups temporarily breaks your laser.
This also happens in DDP.
jpj

Post by jpj »

okay, but it wont really break your chain in ddp because of how quick it is - whereas in doj it can still mess you up even half way through stage 2
RegalSin wrote:Videogames took my life away like the Natives during colonial times.
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

jpj wrote:well, after you kill the power-up ship (by holding laser) you just carry on holding it in the same place to kill the turret coming onto screen (make sure to go to C shot as soon as you hear the explosion). if it's before that, what you need to be doing is lightly tapping C once a second while in hyper state, so as not to kill the small tanks too quickly
My laser never connects fast enough with the turret behind the ship (it takes a few moments to appear onto screen for me), so I guess I'm just killing the tanks too quickly. Gotta practice some more...
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
jpj

Post by jpj »

along with my point about the power-ups, maybe it is that you aren't high enough up the screen. you should be about half-way up :) otherwise it wont connect
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

jpj wrote:okay, but it wont really break your chain in ddp because of how quick it is - whereas in doj it can still mess you up even half way through stage 2
Actually it's quicker in DOJ and it does break your chain in DDP.
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

Ruldra wrote:
jpj wrote:well, after you kill the power-up ship (by holding laser) you just carry on holding it in the same place to kill the turret coming onto screen (make sure to go to C shot as soon as you hear the explosion). if it's before that, what you need to be doing is lightly tapping C once a second while in hyper state, so as not to kill the small tanks too quickly
My laser never connects fast enough with the turret behind the ship (it takes a few moments to appear onto screen for me), so I guess I'm just killing the tanks too quickly. Gotta practice some more...
Make sure you're doing that part with an hyper. Right after you kill the power up ship (you can destroy it as soon as it appears), stay in place but enough to the left that you hit the first helicopter that arrives next. This is key to keep your chain. After you hit that helicopter, stay in place until the turret dies then happily chain the rest. This part might not be doable this way without a hyper. Superplay videos use a hyper there anyway so I guess it's for the best.
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

I don't use hypers on the first stage. I save them all for the beginning of stage 2, then hyper the tank hangars at the end for a massive hit count. Plasmo did this on his run and he ended up with 94 mil before the boss. I think you get more points this way.

But then again, japanese players use hypers on stage 1, so I'm not sure which approach is better score-wise.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

If you use 2 hyper in stage 1 and another during the bossfight your rank is already beyond good and evil when you reach the second boss. It's probably worth a bit more points, if you can handle the massive rank. Seeing it this way, I was actually playing for survival lolz.
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
LtC

Post by LtC »

Plasmo wrote:If you use 2 hyper in stage 1 and another during the bossfight your rank is already beyond good and evil when you reach the second boss. It's probably worth a bit more points, if you can handle the massive rank. Seeing it this way, I was actually playing for survival lolz.
What if you use the bomb before you get the bomb from end of stage 2? How big difference does it make from 1xMAX to 2xMAX. Lets say being able to handle all stage 3 no miss no bomb but you have to bomb on stage 3 boss.

Damn... I really need to start trying score runs myself instead of short 5-10min sessions every now and then.
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

What if you use the bomb before you get the bomb from end of stage 2? How big difference does it make from 1xMAX to 2xMAX. Lets say being able to handle all stage 3 no miss no bomb but you have to bomb on stage 3 boss.
That's a very good idea I didn't think of before, the point loss should be minmal. I'll used it next time I play DOJ, thanks! I think ISO does the same in his B-L replay on the PS2 disc if I remember correctly.

And just for the record:

Code: Select all

Laos

Stage 1:
28,5mill  -  843 Chain (2x -1-hyper used)

Boss 1:
31,8mill  - 1757 Hit   (-1-hyper used)

Stage 2:
106,6mill - 2209 Chain (-2-, -5-hyper used)

Boss 2:
110,1mill - 1153 Hit   (-1-hyper used)

Code: Select all

NOA

Stage 1:
21,4mill -  539 Chain (no hyper used)

Boss 1:
21,9mill -    7 Hit   (no hyper used)

Stage 2:
94,8mill - 2314 Chain (-5-, -4-hyper used)

Boss 2:
95,6mill -  169 Hit   (no hyper used)
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
LtC

Post by LtC »

Plasmo wrote: That's a very good idea I didn't think of before, the point loss should be minmal. I'll used it next time I play DOJ, thanks! I think ISO does the same in his B-L replay on the PS2 disc if I remember correctly.
I just watched the one again. He uses both of his bombs to reduce rank -> goes hyper -> suicide -> 2x MAX from the bomb that was hovering around ->Hyper kill

I remember the first time I watched it I was wondering what the fuck was he doing but I get it now. Genious
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

Guess I'll do the same. It's a little stupid though, I guess they just made the game too hard so you have to figure out stupid strategies to deal with it.
jpj

Post by jpj »

if we're being picky, all of all the stages in both loops can be done without hypers. it's just far far more difficult. and that's TAC on the B-L replay on the ps2 game disc, but he sucks at doj ~_~;

nice to see this game getting plenty of attention again :)
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

I've just watched the B-L replay that's included on the PS2 data. I'm amazed at how hard this game is compared to DDP. Stage 5 in this replay is just amazingly difficult for a 1st loop @_@ This is probably as much harder compared to DDP than DDP is harder compared to DP. But this time it's TOO HARD !

Also I think I'll switch to B-L because it looks cooler :p
jpj

Post by jpj »

have you played ketsui yet prom? me and GP think that game's 1-5 is harder even than doj :o although i guess with ketsui you don't have dynamic rank to deal with, but still...

i actually do pretty well in 1-5, even starting with 4 or 5 hypers, but i can never connect the chain from the 1st midboss and into the honeycomb section (can do it in practice mode, but rank is lower). i once spent two whole days playing that section over and over trying to decide at which point i prefer to release the hyper. at the start of the midboss? the middle, or the end? i was driving myself crazy :lol:
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

Yes I've played all "non-Raizing" Caves. I've never made it to stage 5 in Ketsui, I always died in stage 4 :p For what I've seen of it Ketsui's difficulty is a lot more balanced than DOJ. There is more often hard stuff to dodge, the scoring doesn't screw you for a frame off in your timing, and it doesn't suddenly get overly fast. Overall I think I like it a lot better.
jpj

Post by jpj »

yeah, doj is a man's game
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

It's funny, but I have pretty much equal chances of getting to stage 4 of DOJ, stage 4 of DP, and stage 5 of DDP. Clearly, there's something wrong with me.

Also, I find stage 4 of DOJ more-or-less straightforward survival-wise. It's mostly basic herding; the only moderately annoying part is not flying into those spray guns' barrages while doing so. Must be a hell to chain correctly, though.
Matskat wrote:This neighborhood USED to be nice...until that family of emulators moved in across the street....
jpj

Post by jpj »

sorry if i've already mentioned this, but 1-4 is without a doubt, the *hardest* stage to fully chain. HFD makes me sick, because he makes it look so easy. especially the part where you first get the turrets that travel on the diagonal platforms. he does it even without hypers. first time i saw that (in one of the trailers) i was really impressed, then mocked myself thinking it was clearly 2-4. turns out it wasn't :P what a beast. but yeah, if you can do the first three levels with full chains (well, not chaining in and out of the st3 midboss, but you know what i mean..), better to survive for stage 4, and concentrate on learning stage 5. which is where i'm still at ... :arrow:
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

What do you think B-L's worth in this game ? Do you feel it's shot might be too weak for 2nd loop ?

I could play B-E but I like B-L's style more. Maybe it's stupid but I value style the most when I choose a ship/character :p
LtC

Post by LtC »

PROMETHEUS wrote:What do you think B-L's worth in this game ? Do you feel it's shot might be too weak for 2nd loop ?

I could play B-E but I like B-L's style more. Maybe it's stupid but I value style the most when I choose a ship/character :p
You're on the right track. True men choose that way... but only kids think B-L is cool, B-E is the man's way to go.

But for B-L isn't the biggest issue about getting the shot totally crippled if you die. You basically become handicapped since only the laser will deal decent damage anymore and your move speed isn't really the same as A-L or A-E's.

By the way what's the best approach to go for early stage 2 when you need to continue the chain after the first tank (B-E)? I could use some tips on how to handle that with the easiest way, that one is definately my biggest obstacle in chaining the first 2 stages.
jpj

Post by jpj »

your biggest problem playing type B generally will be that the shot is quite wide, and you can sometimes kill popcorn enemies too quickly (when you want to slowly tap C and keep some alive for chaining). B-L has a better bomb stock though, so it is a good choice. but as said, your biggest problem for the 2nd loop will be the slow movement speed. i was really shocked when i first started reaching the 2nd loop. not just the increase in bullets, but also the increase in *speed* (and i was obviously at lowest rank :oops: )

if style is your thing, how about A-E but play as the 2P side, that way your ship and laser are neon blue :o .... 8)

and here is a 1-2 B-E video, if it helps:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLpcbV9Z ... annel_page
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

isn't there some kind of bonus/penalty for playing as P2 ? In DDP when I realized there was a penalty for P2 compensating for the bonus in a pretty drastic way I quickly switched back to P1.
LtC

Post by LtC »

PROMETHEUS wrote:isn't there some kind of bonus/penalty for playing as P2 ? In DDP when I realized there was a penalty for P2 compensating for the bonus in a pretty drastic way I quickly switched back to P1.
The colors for the P2 ships in DOJ look hideous, isn't that enough of a penalty?
jpj

Post by jpj »

there isn't a penalty as far as i'm aware. and while i agree that the type B ship doesn't look that good on P2 side, i think the type A ship looks pretty cool actually.

a bit like WIZ using the 2P ship in ikaruga, i think it would be quite unique. if you don't do it prom, i think i will actually .. :wink:
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

I just watched the superplay run on the superplay DVD that comes with the PS2 game... Fucking incredible stuff... I had no idea this game got so hard and players this good. It's about as impressive as Futari Ultra in a different way. Futari ultra is more about ultra dense but rather "slow" patterns, this is about high, high speeds. I can't believe this @_@ It's like 10 times harder than anything in DDP.

I don't know for sure but maybe I'll switch back to A-E, I can't imagine handling the speed with type B anymore indeed, and shot power will be too weak with B-L or A-L I guess. Too bad, I like the circling options much more ;]
jpj

Post by jpj »

the black label dvd is even better, if you can believe that. he only loses 1 life in the whole process of beating both loops and hibachi with A-E

three trailer videos for it here if you're interested
oxoid

Post by oxoid »

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=TGAP4U&view=videos

has a bunch of A-L videos, though they are all in training mode iirc.
third_strike

Post by third_strike »

http://img312.imageshack.us/img312/2088 ... one0ri.gif
is it the correct hit box for A-E?
I really would love now about the exact spot in one image of ship in game.

Cool!