Magfest 2014 (Jan 2-5)

Having a shmupmeet? Want to find one in your area? Come on in here then...
Kiken

Magfest 2014 (Jan 2-5)

Post by Kiken »

Since they just recently began accepting preregistration for the event, I figured I'd start a thread for it: http://www.magfest.org/

Minzoku and I will be there Friday thru Sunday. I'll be bringing my ESPGaluda II, Pink Sweets and Strikers 1945 Part II PCBs for use in the cabs.
trap15

Re: Magfest 2014 (Jan 2-5)

Post by trap15 »

Probably gonna make it this year 8) I'll start putting together a PCB list soon.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
SFKhoa

Post by SFKhoa »

I'm in as well. Hopefully flu season doesn't strike again.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Here's what my list of stuff to bring currently looks like: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... XSkE#gid=0

If anyone wants me to bring something, let me know.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

SFKhoa wrote:I'm in as well. Hopefully flu season doesn't strike again.
Are you sure it was the flu and not the sports bar of no one should ever go there?
SFKhoa

Post by SFKhoa »

I thought it was that sports bar at first, but it turned out a lot of Canadians (that wasn't our guys) got hit too, as well as Egoraptor and a couple other dudes.
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

Oh, ok. People still shouldn't go to that sports bar.
majors

Post by majors »

There was someone last year that mentioned to me that they had some candy and willing to bring it. I forgot who, but if they can contact me, we can work out the details.

Wedoca should have a similar cab line-up as in the past years. I will have at least one 1P CP for an astro. I'll try to keep the thread alive with updates.
Wedoca '24
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

We should definitely get some 360 in a cab going again. SDOJ should look awesome in that Naomi cab.
Yes Boss!

Post by Yes Boss! »

majors wrote:There was someone last year that mentioned to me that they had some candy and willing to bring it. I forgot who, but if they can contact me, we can work out the details.

Wedoca should have a similar cab line-up as in the past years. I will have at least one 1P CP for an astro. I'll try to keep the thread alive with updates.
That was me.

I have a couple candies here right now. Also got a few more arriving in the next month or two. A Blast, two Vewlix Ls (one vert and one horiz, wired for 360/PS3). Also, have a Rhythm Tengoku cab arriving next week.
majors

Post by majors »

Yes Boss! wrote: That was me.
PM forthcoming. Start planning this years MAGFest to be the best ever :) (well, at least for shmups folks)
Wedoca '24
Nick The Newbie

Post by Nick The Newbie »

Hi! I'm Nick and I help with MAGFest. Let me know if you have any questions, and I'll be glad to answer them. Also, StarCreator is really cute whenever he falls asleep on my couch.
zakk

Post by zakk »

I'm pretty sure if there is a couch, he will fall asleep on it
Nick The Newbie

That is a confirmed fact.
zakk

Post by zakk »

I might actually go this (next?) year. What game should I obsessively play from now until then so I can then sit in the game room for 16 hours at a time trying to get a high score?

(at the rate things are already going that game will be Tetris the Absolute)
Nick The Newbie

Definitely don't try silent scope, because I can guarantee that you will never beat my high score. (that's a challenge to everyone, mainly because I think i'm the only person who actually has played that game for more than 10 minutes)
majors

Post by majors »

zakk wrote:What game should I obsessively play from now until then so I can then sit in the game room for 16 hours at a time trying to get a high score?
We are planning on having some HS challenge on some STGs. Single player CP so no randoms jump in wrecking your run. Big Boss, Strider77 and some others will have the boards...since I still only have weak sauce shmup-wise (Viper and Raiden Fighters).
Wedoca '24
Gwyrgyn Blood

Post by Gwyrgyn Blood »

shmuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuups

Guess I can bring Outzone again, or Dragon Blaze.
ratikal

Post by ratikal »

I'll be coming too! I'm also looking for room mates too so if you want a cheaper stay, let me know.
zakk

Post by zakk »

Is there any place you guys coordinate who is bringing games and stuff? I have shmups PCBs I could put up for the cause if required
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

zakk wrote:Is there any place you guys coordinate who is bringing games and stuff? I have shmups PCBs I could put up for the cause if required
Ummm, pretty much this thread. S'why I always list what I plan to bring. I might bring along my MVS carts of Metal Slug and Metal Slug 2 just to have some extra copies to throw into cabs.. since everyone loves Metal Slug.
majors

Post by majors »

Kiken wrote:
zakk wrote:Is there any place you guys coordinate who is bringing games and stuff? I have shmups PCBs I could put up for the cause if required
Ummm, pretty much this thread.
Yeah, for shmups I'd post up here what you are thinking of bringing. I have no problem swapping out PCB's with what you'all bring. A few of you have met me and seen my cabs, and I think most folks feel comfortable running their boards in them. I will have filler boards to run in the cabs until ppl show up and also to run on Sunday if folks need to dip out early. I cannot speak for the other MAGFest staff that brings cabs, but most of them bring dedicated units.

I know Big Boss is bringing a few more candy this year, so we should have ample room for what anyone brings. That being said, we do have a finite number, so it would be best to discuss and figure out who wants to run what and when.
Gwyrgyn Blood wrote: Guess I can bring Outzone again, or Dragon Blaze.
I remember ppl having some fun with the OZ, it has a cool twist on the top view shooter idea.
Wedoca '24
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

Kiken, random question: does your Otomedius stick have an octagonal restrictor or the usual square? Trying to confirm and I realized I never actually touched your Otomedius stick despite having seen it on multiple occasions!
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

StarCreator wrote:Kiken, random question: does your Otomedius stick have an octagonal restrictor or the usual square? Trying to confirm and I realized I never actually touched your Otomedius stick despite having seen it on multiple occasions!
I believe it's a standard square gate... and are you serious? You've been to nearly every local shmupmeet and you mean to tell me you've never once actually used my Otomedius stick?
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

Kiken wrote:
StarCreator wrote:Kiken, random question: does your Otomedius stick have an octagonal restrictor or the usual square? Trying to confirm and I realized I never actually touched your Otomedius stick despite having seen it on multiple occasions!
I believe it's a standard square gate... and are you serious? You've been to nearly every local shmupmeet and you mean to tell me you've never once actually used my Otomedius stick?
Nope! Most meets I end up using one of my own sticks. Can you double-check? Apparently it was Yes Boss that said it was an octo-gate stock, but I haven't been able to find any info otherwise.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

The stick component is: JLF-TM-8T-SK-GT-B
majors

Post by majors »

Making sure we are still alive here. Strider77 should be posting up with his boards he plans on bringing just to avoid dups and silliness. I also would like to know what we plan to run so I can rotate monitors and install 1p CP's before I arrive in the Gaylord.

I should only be bringing up candy this year, I'm hauling some cabs for Eric and Anthony that will take up room in my truck. But with Yes Boss's cabs, the line up should be as big as prior years...just now it's all CANDY.
Wedoca '24
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

So I own an Egret 2 now. Toying with the idea of bringing it to MAGFest but the logistics to get just one cab over there from here are kind of tough; I'm about a half hour detour if the truck is going by Yes Boss's, and I just don't have the ability to move the cabinet alone (and huge thanks goes to Nick and two other friends for helping me get it all the way to my place yesterday!). If you think it's worth a detour and there's still room in the truck for it, let me know and we can work something out!
Zerst

Post by Zerst »

I will be there from the evening of the 3rd to the 5th, when I go to AGDQ. Might need a ride from DCA unless there's easy transportation.
Dimahoo is a fun game.
<trap15> C is for Bakraid
majors

Post by majors »

StarCreator wrote:So I own an Egret 2 now.
Since your close to the Gaylord, I can prolly pick it up Wednesday afternoon after I unload my truck. But I can't return it back, so it'll have to come back to Winston with me :)

I'll be 1 cab light when I return Monday, so I could roll by your place in the AM and Rob, myself and you (you can hold open the doors and call the ambulance when we hurt ourselves) and return it.

Let's see if Yes Boss chimes in. He's saying he is gonna get a truck for his cabs.
Wedoca '24