It's over, CAVE is dead... or maybe not...

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Skykid

Re: It's over, CAVE is dead... or maybe not...

Post by Skykid »

Teufel_in_Blau wrote:OK, I updated the OP.

THERE IS STILL HOPE!!!!!
Altogether now:

FACEPALM
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

Teufel_in_Blau

Post by Teufel_in_Blau »

Tell that to the guy who burned his CAVE collection.

Oh man... this forum will hate me to death forever for this thread...
GaijinPunch wrote:I don't have 40 minutes to do anything other than fist myself these days.
hail good sir

Post by hail good sir »

I
Last edited by hail good sir on Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Muchi Muchi Spork

Post by Muchi Muchi Spork »

As much as I don't care for anything Asada has done, I must admit he was onto something with his SDOJ changes if they helped up the score in reviews.

I find it bizarre that this "news" about their structure was released the way it was. Like I was saying, it makes me want that translation even more.
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

Teufel_in_Blau wrote:Tell that to the guy who burned his CAVE collection.
I hope he only burned just the box and not the contents inside it, if he did, serious facepalm...>_>

Update: Nevermind, stuff happens and keeps changing off/on...>_>
I've Come to Deliver Some Bad Luck!
ciox

Re: It's over, CAVE is dead.

Post by ciox »

Zeether wrote:
Vetus wrote: And considering how shitty it looks Xbox One's future I'm wondering which console will be the new home for future shmups. WiiU? PS4? Or they'll do the difference and stick with Xbox360?
PC.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

hail good sir wrote:It was just the cardboard box, and I only held on to it to wait for an opportunity try and piss off any cave cardboard box collectors still out there.
It's actually a legendary picture though. Saved straight to desktop. Don't regret: the Cave Budget collection is only for today, your pyromania will live on for eternity.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

KAI

Post by KAI »

BIL

Post by BIL »

Teufel_in_Blau wrote:Oh man... this forum will hate me to death forever for this thread...
Don't worry, this happens every time.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

LOL, Elixir posts something as a "truth" and the shmup world crumbles. :lol: I miss EOJ, but sometimes I miss Elixir too.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
IseeThings

Post by IseeThings »

tbh, a regroup and restart could be exactly what is needed..

new IP, different expectations, ideas, etc.

Of course maybe IGS will end up buying up all the rights and you really will see their older PGM2 platform used for budget remakes of every single game ;-)

Even if the announcement was apparently premature it's been on the cards for some time now anyway, the arcade division was on the road to nowhere, trying to make real games when the industry today is just about milking the player as much as possible with cheap gimmicks and/or character building / profile systems etc.

The industry today would have it so that there were various shops during the DDP stages where you had to buy the bees to unlock the extra loops using real extra coins...
psoslayer

Post by psoslayer »

CAVE was dead when Death Smiles II was released already.
MOSQUITO FIGHTER

Post by MOSQUITO FIGHTER »

shmurapture
O. Van Bruce
Location: On an alternate dimension... filled with bullets and moon runes...

Post by O. Van Bruce »

So, how many times has this forum killed Cave? which number is this one? :lol:
Last edited by O. Van Bruce on Fri May 31, 2013 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Muchi Muchi Spork

Too many to count, but I think the credit for this death should go to neogaf.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

KAI wrote:Image
One more time, and it's Tecnosoft's Iron Maiden.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

EmperorIng wrote:One more time, and it's Tecnosoft's Iron Maiden.
You mean A3 (Armament Armed Arm: It died 3 times and was reborn twice)?
BIL

Post by BIL »

Yeah, R8zing is Iron Maiden (Dead, but alive at the same time).
Icarus wrote:Clover-TAC opens expanded Yotsubane Studio (not "Clover Studio" because we know what happened to that), with former Cave and Raizing developers.
You heard it here first.
In a perfect world, Deep Purple's description would go here. ;_;
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Even with the updated OP, the restructured CAVE still doesn't sound all too promising. Chances we'll see another shmup experience that isn't crammed onto a phone or casual-ified to hell aren't too high IMO.
brentsg

Post by brentsg »

I don't think we need an announcement to know that Cave as we know them, no longer exist.

The thing we'd need an announcement from them on, is if they planned to shock us and release additional arcade titles.
Breaking news: Dodonpachi Developer Cave Releases Hello Kitty Game
Muchi Muchi Spork

Restructuring departments into one can be helpful with creativity but that's one area they don't need help in. My prediction, new arcade shooter is announced by the end of January. I don't think using a pcb is out either. If they wanted to use discs and computers as their format they could have done it 10 years ago.
Special World

Post by Special World »

Muchi Muchi Spork wrote:Restructuring departments into one can be helpful with creativity but that's one area they don't need help in. My prediction, new arcade shooter is announced by the end of January. I don't think using a pcb is out either. If they wanted to use discs and computers as their format they could have done it 10 years ago.
I disagree. I love Cave's games but all their releases are incredibly similar. I'd be happy if they'd let Yagawa make Yagawa-style STGs at least. But imo they really should try to get away from their core mechanics a bit.
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
Cagar

Post by Cagar »

You... fucking..
Muchi Muchi Spork

Special World wrote:
Muchi Muchi Spork wrote:Restructuring departments into one can be helpful with creativity but that's one area they don't need help in. My prediction, new arcade shooter is announced by the end of January. I don't think using a pcb is out either. If they wanted to use discs and computers as their format they could have done it 10 years ago.
I disagree. I love Cave's games but all their releases are incredibly similar. I'd be happy if they'd let Yagawa make Yagawa-style STGs at least. But imo they really should try to get away from their core mechanics a bit.
Never go full Yagawa. Last time Cave went full Yagawa we got Pink Sweets and the ship speeds changed every time you cancel a bomb. You never go full Yagawa.

Some of the core things don't change because they are smart enough to know when they've found perfection. That doesn't have anything to do with a lack of creativity.
Teufel_in_Blau

Post by Teufel_in_Blau »

Is that you speaking only from a business perspective or is MMP the only game you like from him?
GaijinPunch wrote:I don't have 40 minutes to do anything other than fist myself these days.
Muchi Muchi Spork

That was speaking from my opinion as a gamer. But as a business perspective, although I was able to get past the "suicide hump" personally and eventually love Ibara, from a business perspective it is not how I would design an arcade game because it's not easy to pick up and understand. It wasn't until years after its release that someone reverse engineered the rank system enough for me to even understand what was happening enough to enjoy it. I broke down parts of Pink Sweets in a strat guide further than had ever been done prior to my knowledge and I still don't understand much about the rank system. No I don't think that type of hidden complexity is a good idea for arcade games but as for a console release with accompanied guide book it could definitely win.
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

Muchi Muchi Spork wrote:You never go full Yagawa.
:lol:
Blattdorf

Re: It's over, CAVE is dead.

Post by Blattdorf »

ciox wrote:
Zeether wrote:
Vetus wrote: And considering how shitty it looks Xbox One's future I'm wondering which console will be the new home for future shmups. WiiU? PS4? Or they'll do the difference and stick with Xbox360?
PC.
I'd really like to see shmups becoming more prominent on the PC. As it is, shmups on the PC are still underrepresented. You can't really say people don't want shmups on the PC when there are so few of them available (good shmups, I mean). There's Crimzon Clover, Diadra Empty, Hellsinker, not to mention all of Cave's games - put them on Steam and show people what real shmups are made of.

Shit, why was Cave even targeting smartphones for shmups? Don't you need to focus a little on the game when you're playing? If I was riding a train or something and looking to kill time, shmups are the last thing I'd like to play. At home, yeah, but then I have the PC, so why I would stare at the phone all day?

I'd rather see a Cave shmup on the PC where you can play two player with a buddy over the Internet. It's always that extra hook that encourages more players to try the game. And they should have those shops like in Crimzon Clover, since even newbies would be encouraged to play a little more to unlock some cool stuff.

If Cave were to open up a little bit to the PC, they'd most likely gain some financial stability. Though I wonder if it's not too late for this.
MathU

Post by MathU »

PC shooting can just die if it means compromising itself with cancerous DRM like Steam.

I don't think doujin developers will ever sink that low though, thankfully.
Of course, that's just an opinion.
Always seeking netplay fans to play emulated arcade games with.
Blackbird

Post by Blackbird »

It was mentioned earlier in the thread, but to reiterate: The collapse of the company does not mean that the developers who made these games will simply disappear. If they still have the passion to make games, then they will certainly find other work or found a new studio, just like they did when Toaplan folded.

I know guys that made obscure cult hits back in the 90's DOS games era that are still crawling out of the woodwork to make new stuff every once in a while.