Would Garegga be better without rank?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

TWITCHDOCTOR wrote:Have I ever mentioned that I really don't care much for Battle Garegga?
To me, its just a poor version of Strikers 1945 with really annoying "bombs".
I was under the impression that Garegga came out BEFORE Strikers.
dave4shmups wrote:Garegga would be better if every playable character and aircraft didn't have such a big damn hitbox.
Garegga came out in 1997 remember, BEFORE Cave widely introduced the microscopic hitbox that players seem to prefer. Games pre-Garegga are classic, almost sprite sized hitboxes, with very little room for error.
BulletMagnet wrote:As for the actual topic at hand, I've come to be of the opinion that Garegga and its ilk would be better if its rank system were somehow optional...
There's always the last revisions of the arcade game (Chinese etc) that have a very tame variant of the rank system. Just don't expect any extra lives from score however, since they're disabled by default ;)

Personally, I prefer the punishing Japanese version. But that's just me. ^_^
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Icarus wrote:
1995=Strikers 1945, 1996= Garegga :?

(not that they having anything in common, btw)
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
ArrogantBastard

Post by ArrogantBastard »

dave4shmups wrote:OK, perhaps bullet-hell is a bit extreme, but the game certainly has enough bullets flying around at any given time not to be classified as old-school, IMO.

And it certainly has enough bullets in it that the hitboxes are too damn big, IMO.
Yeah, the game's more bullet-focused.

I'm not too particularly fond of Raizing / 8ing games mainly because of the bulltet patterns / hitbox size / collecting method, but I still enjoy them because they're simply classic in their own right. I still play them once a month, sometimes twice.
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

dave4shmups wrote:Garegga would be better if every playable character and aircraft didn't have such a big damn hitbox.
You know you can select small hit-boxes, right?
DC906270 wrote:...stuff...
This thread is really absurd. Not just that it comes up all the time, but of the 1000 new users on this board who apparently keep asking this question over and over, few really have enough ability to 1cc Battle Garegga with OR without counter-intuitive rank management.

Mind you, I don't have the skill either, but I (once again), don't remember this thread coming up every month two years ago. This whole thing is a weird development, and honestly isn't going to accomplish anything unless:

1) You make a doujin version of Garegga w/out rank (and if you do, I'd really much rather have you make a doujin version of ikaruga that has gameplay like Raiden (you know, more a shmup, less a puzzle game))

2) You decide to stop playing the game because the rank is so un-fun for you. In which case, there is no more point in this thread coming up so often.

Thus, given the frequency of this thread, I must assume my doujin ikaruga with raiden gameplay should be arriving shortly. Yay!
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
Eugenics: you know it's right!
SHMUP sale page.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Randorama wrote:1995=Strikers 1945, 1996= Garegga :?
I'll be damned. Garegga is still the better game of the two, though.
CMoon wrote:Thus, given the frequency of this thread, I must assume my doujin ikaruga with raiden gameplay should be arriving shortly. Yay!
That'd be something to see :)
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

CMoon wrote:You know you can select small hit-boxes, right?
Not if you want to post your score in the high-score thread.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

professor ganson wrote:Not if you want to post your score in the high-score thread.
You're actually free to use ships selected with C, which gives you a small hitbox anyway. Ditto for the "Small Hitbox" option in the Options screen.
In the HS thread, Rando wrote:Any option that automatically triggers the other types of plane (B,C, ABC) is in, after all the effect is the same as the normal option.
Special in-game modes and options - Edit Stage, Red Ball, HARDER, EXTENDED etc - are not allowed.

Now that you know, go and post some high scores, goddamnit ;)
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

jp wrote:No... Battle Garegga would not be as fun without rank.

Hyper Duel would be though... :x
Hyper Duel has rank? Sarcasm, or truth?
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

Randorama wrote:
Elixir wrote:
trolling
WRONG.

Please remove your hilariously pathetic comments before spectators of the forum laugh at you in the utter silence of which they came from. I wasn't trolling, I was telling you to shut the fuck up. Here's a recap:
No, it's just a matter of developing a clue. Which involves learning instead of bitching about game mechanics. Not that you have a clue of, of course. You can always...ah no, you either are born with a clue, or not. Good luck
Apparently, I'm the one trolling. Glad to know that three words, "Stop it, kthx." is somehow classified under your oath as whining/complaining/etc. I see the irony when I look at your garbage for words. If you want a debate with icycalm - take it to irc - or some other meaningless place. If you had resisted that urge to counter-insult then this wouldn't be dragging on.

Again, a major lol goes out to you for thinking that I'm trolling. Get a clue.

Edit: Here, I'll summarize with a couple rhetorical questions: Shut the fuck up. Is arguing with others going to get you somewhere? Do you think your words are superior based on your discovering of general opinions? Are people going to look back on this thread and think "hey, this guy was really informative."?

This is generally where you reply back with a "you're trolling." comment, so. Stop it, kthx.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

Icarus wrote:
professor ganson wrote:Not if you want to post your score in the high-score thread.
You're actually free to use ships selected with C, which gives you a small hitbox anyway. Ditto for the "Small Hitbox" option in the Options screen.
In the HS thread, Rando wrote:Any option that automatically triggers the other types of plane (B,C, ABC) is in, after all the effect is the same as the normal option.
Special in-game modes and options - Edit Stage, Red Ball, HARDER, EXTENDED etc - are not allowed.

Now that you know, go and post some high scores, goddamnit ;)
Thanks for clarifying that. I do hope to return to Garegga in a bit. Right now I'm making some progress in Gunbird 2 and I want to keep pushing ahead.
MadSteelDarkness

Post by MadSteelDarkness »

Battle Garegga is perfect the way it is.

If you don't like Garegga, then that's fine. There are dozens upon dozens of other shmups to partake of, catering to all sorts of tastes and skill levels.

Now gentlemen, please, can't we get back to arguing about the merits of a game that won't come out for months or something? :P
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

Randorama wrote:
Icarus wrote:
1995=Strikers 1945, 1996= Garegga :?

Thank you Rando...Strikers was out WAY before Garegga.

In common? Nah...both feature old ancient airplanes/vertical scrolling...Gee, I wonder what I was thinking!? :?
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

BTW: This whole debate about Battle Garegga is like the Special Olympics...even if you win, you're still retarded.
UnscathedFlyingObject

Post by UnscathedFlyingObject »

If someone actually finished Garegga without suiciding, I'd say it is a great game. In my opinion, suiciding to lower rank is the most stupid thing since getting screwed for dying once (Gradius, Rtype et al.) But you've got a chance to 1 life it. Back on topic, rank shouldn't make a game impossible unless you "learn" to control it by dying :lol:. It should make the game a hard enough to make you sweat it when you're fully powered up (ie. Gradius Gaiden.) In the end, I have to say that Garegga fans are sadist maniacs, but that doesn't make them any worse.
"Sooo, what was it that you consider a 'good salary' for a man to make?"
"They should at least make 100K to have a good life"
icycalm
Banned User

Post by icycalm »

Randorama wrote:
Elixir wrote:
trolling
and
icycalm wrote:
dumb clueless comments
Uhm, you two are not getting anymore food, you're already too fat :lol:
still not as fat as your mom tho

edit: and pls stop trolling ksorrythxbyebbq
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

With all these "Gamefaqs Kiddo's" comments going on, I predict yet another locked thread.
Not because of "over-active" mods, but because of child-ish behavour.

I for one would like to see Shmups.com return to the small community that it once was, consisting of 20 or so close members, with only the occasional harmless arguments between Kosh and Grant Windsor.

Shmups.com is like a big city now...too much bullshit going on in every street corner/thread.
I prefer the smaller towns I guess...
ArrogantBastard

Post by ArrogantBastard »

TWITCHDOCTOR wrote:With all these "Gamefaqs Kiddo's" comments going on, I predict yet another locked thread.
Not because of "over-active" mods, but because of child-ish behavour.

I for one would like to see Shmups.com return to the small community that it once was, consisting of 20 or so close members, with only the occasional harmless arguments between Kosh and Grant Windsor.

Shmups.com is like a big city now...too much bullshit going on in every street corner/thread.
I prefer the smaller towns I guess...
I know I wasn't around for a long time to be considered an old schooler, but I've been around since last year of December and I completely agree with you on most part of what you just said.
mannerbot

Post by mannerbot »

Since this has turned into another off-topic "shmups.com sucks now" thread, I'd like to point out that Twitch seems to have had a bit of a change of heart since posting "SHMUPS.com VS. Clique Stick.com."
D

Post by D »

Can somebody confirm that in the option menu, the small hitbox size option IS exactly the same as the two small hitbox version you can select without the hitbox option.

Perhaps there is a difference.
One hitbox for bullets
One hitbox for icons

????
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Elixir wrote:
Edit: Here, I'll summarize with a couple rhetorical questions: Shut the fuck up.
Oh dear, your good manners are as fine as
Icycalm wrote: still not as fat as your mom tho

edit: and pls stop trolling ksorrythxbyebbq
Is too much to ask for moderation?I see that these two gentlemen can't behave like normal persons, so...
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

Wouldn't it be better if we all got together and compilied a list of banned topics? - Subjects that we're all sick of hearing about?

Garegga's rank system is at the top of my list, along with Reko's panties.
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
freddiebamboo

Post by freddiebamboo »

Sly Cherry Chunks wrote:Wouldn't it be better if we all got together and compilied a list of banned topics? - Subjects that we're all sick of hearing about?

Garegga's rank system is at the top of my list, along with Reko's panties.
And 8 page arguments over resolution/speed of cave ports/emulation
icycalm
Banned User

Post by icycalm »

Randorama wrote:Is too much to ask for moderation?I see that these two gentlemen can't behave like normal persons, so...
So Rando, you go off calling people "clueless trolls" for no apparent reason and then when they respond in kind you ask for help from mommy and daddy?
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

mannerbot wrote:Since this has turned into another off-topic "shmups.com sucks now" thread, I'd like to point out that Twitch seems to have had a bit of a change of heart since posting "SHMUPS.com VS. Clique Stick.com."

No, I've had a slight change of opinion since all of the un-necessary "bullshit" going here.

I don't have a problem with Clicks website, however there are a few members over there that seem to hate my guts, also, those certian few refuse to let bygons be bygons, which is why I don't post over there...

I can now fully understand why Click is trying to keep things "close-knit".
For obvious reasons, to avoid "bullshit". Then again, sooner or later you will step into a pile, even there!

I used to think I was "hardcore"...not the bullshit, "I'm better than you" type stuff, I just take my hobby seriously. Since the late 70's in fact.
I have noticed one thing though, some of you guys really take yourselves TOO seriously at times.
The name calling over the disagreeances(spelling?) of Battle Garegga's "rank" is exactly what the types of things I'm refering to.

Some members here need to stop treating this place like a typical internet flameground(playground), and start treating it like the respectable website that it is/once was.

Nobody's perfect, and we may disagree on things...thats a given, but when you feel 733t/elite/like-a-dick (whatever the fuck) take it somewhere else!
welcometoyourdoom

Post by welcometoyourdoom »

What's with all the bitching about the frequency of thread topics? If you don't like the topic of a thread, don't read it. It's like bitching about a store with high prices when right next door is another store with lower prices. If there has been a change in the forums in the last few years, it's the escalation of bitching and moaning over what are essentially non-issues.
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

The frequency of thread topics doesn't bother me at all.
Neither do older threads popping up from time to time.
I do have a slight issue with the way some members are acting, and its dragging this place down!
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

icycalm wrote:
Randorama wrote:Is too much to ask for moderation?I see that these two gentlemen can't behave like normal persons, so...
So Rando, you go off calling people "clueless trolls" for no apparent reason and then when they respond in kind you ask for help from mommy and daddy?
you're posting without making pertinent comments and infringing the rules. If you weren't a clueless little barbarian, you'd know that. It also tells a lot about the supposed lack of need on this forum, i'd add.
Someoneelse wrote:What's with all the bitching about the frequency of thread topics?
Not polite to give orders, and the same thread every week gets old fast. Especially when it's an invitation for flames.
icycalm
Banned User

Post by icycalm »

TWITCHDOCTOR wrote:Nobody's perfect, and we may disagree on things...thats a given, but when you feel 733t/elite/like-a-dick (whatever the fuck) take it somewhere else!
That's what I was telling this Randorama guy. He believes that you are either born with a clue or you are born clueless.

And so he goes around these forums looking down on people and calling them "clueless" and "trolls".

Whereas I believe that every newcomer should be treated as a friend, with respect, and that we should all strive to learn from each other.

There are so few fans of shooters left these days (especially in the West) that we should all be friends and help each other out. Mr. Twitchdoctor I am willing to bet that if you your rivals from click-stick moved into your town, you guys would be playing shmups together all day (besides engaging in other, ahem... questionable activites)

edit: oh and rando, blow me
Last edited by icycalm on Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
welcometoyourdoom

Post by welcometoyourdoom »

TWITCHDOCTOR wrote:The frequency of thread topics doesn't bother me at all.
Neither do older threads popping up from time to time.
I do have a slight issue with the way some members are acting, and its dragging this place down!
Not you Twitch, but I have been seeing alot of "This topic is always coming up, blah, blah, it should be banned" in the threads of late.
icycalm
Banned User

Post by icycalm »

Randorama wrote:you're posting without making pertinent comments and infringing the rules. If you weren't a clueless little barbarian, you'd know that. It also tells a lot about the supposed lack of need on this forum, i'd add.
How about translating this to English?