Re: RetroPix: CGA -> VGA Converter

Post by blizzz »

I'll buy one as soon as it's done :D
BitFaced

Post by BitFaced »

rtw wrote:@Crafty+Mech

Thanks for the info on connectors!

I don't know if your design includes an FPGA or CPLD but if it does please include a pin header so that people with the right hardware can upgrade the board without having to return it.
Sounds like a good idea to me. Early adopters wouldn't have to buy it all over again!
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

blizzz wrote:I'll buy one as soon as it's done :D
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
rtw

Post by rtw »

With this design, I'll buy one as well :mrgreen:
http://world-of-arcades.net
The future of ST-V rests upon our work and your work
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Would definitely appropriate design changes to accommodate connecting consoles as well as possible.

I'll probably get one.
BitFaced

Post by BitFaced »

I'll definitely get one too, instead of some other scaler I'd have to get second-hand at a good price and everything.
dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 »

A line doubler fits my needs (music games) perfectly, get it out and you've got my money.
BitFaced

Post by BitFaced »

I personally might see what the first release is like and then decide if I want it at that point or until it adds a certain thing or two.
Crafty+Mech

Post by Crafty+Mech »

Thanks everyone for the feedback and support. The final feature list depends on how quickly I am able to get the v1 board wrapped up.

The project has already run way over when I originally had wanted to do the first release (June/July) so I'm keen on keeping v1 focused, and in line with my original goals. That said, I don't want to leave out a popular feature that would cause people to wait for a future release, since subsequent releases would be funded by the sales of the initial board.
BitFaced

Post by BitFaced »

Crafty+Mech wrote:Thanks everyone for the feedback and support. The final feature list depends on how quickly I am able to get the v1 board wrapped up.

The project has already run way over when I originally had wanted to do the first release (June/July) so I'm keen on keeping v1 focused, and in line with my original goals. That said, I don't want to leave out a popular feature that would cause people to wait for a future release, since subsequent releases would be funded by the sales of the initial board.
Where does that leave the Component/SCART inputs currently?
Crafty+Mech

Post by Crafty+Mech »

Component input is probably unlikely for v1. I'd need to implement a transcoder, and have not done any research on that topic. So component falls in the 'maybe' category, leaning towards a future release.

I have no plans for a SCART connector. A SCART->DSub cable (http://tinyurl.com/m52puw4) would work for RGBs, and when component input is available, there are cheap SCART->Component adapters as well.
BitFaced

Post by BitFaced »

Crafty+Mech wrote:Component input is probably unlikely for v1. I'd need to implement a transcoder, and have not done any research on that topic. So component falls in the 'maybe' category, leaning towards a future release.

I have no plans for a SCART connector. A SCART->DSub cable (http://tinyurl.com/m52puw4) would work for RGBs, and when component input is available, there are cheap SCART->Component adapters as well.
Should I use a transcoder for it?
And thanks for the heads up about the DSub SCART thing!
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Oh, a question: what are you planning for power supply? It would definitely be nice if this could be USB powered. Not essential to me buying it, just nice :P
BitFaced

Post by BitFaced »

Would we be able to upgrade to get the new features (soft or hardware) or would we have to buy it all over again?
Crafty+Mech

Post by Crafty+Mech »

Power supply will be +5v through a 2pin header or AC adapter.

Bitfaced: These are good questions, but I can't answer them yet until I get closer to an actual release.
BitFaced

Post by BitFaced »

Either way you pretty much have my guaranteed support. :D
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Crafty+Mech wrote:Power supply will be +5v through a 2pin header or AC adapter
I'm not sure if that answers my question (not very good with stuff like this)... can it be powered by USB? I think how much current it draws is needed information (USB 2.0: 0.5A).
Crafty+Mech

Post by Crafty+Mech »

For USB direct to a PC, my guess at this time is no, .5 amp is a little low. With a powered hub though (anywhere from 1-3 amps), you could probably make that work by taking +/- from the usb cable to the 2pin header. I'll know the final power requirements when the board is finished.
SNES_is_the_Best

Post by SNES_is_the_Best »

Crafty+Mech wrote: I have no plans for a SCART connector. A SCART->DSub cable (http://tinyurl.com/m52puw4) would work for RGBs, and when component input is available, there are cheap SCART->Component adapters as well.
No disrespect, but this is really strange. Think about it for a moment.......how many Sega or Nintendo RGB cables do you see that have a D-Sub connector on the end? Zero, None. They all have SCART or JAP21. So seriously you should at least offer the option of a SCART input. Like 1 with D-Sub, and the other with SCART. Otherwise people will be forced to buy yet ANOTHER link in the chain.

Perhaps you could offer a version of your Retropix with SCART on one end, and DVI on the other for users with a HDTV. Why? Because no current TV's have VGA. And in the future when VGA will be gone from PC monitors (and its coming fast, sooner than later). Such a setup would allow users to get a DVI-to-HDMI cable and hook up to a HDMI-only monitor (which will eventually be the only option, whether we like it or not).
Crafty+Mech

Post by Crafty+Mech »

This project is not just dedicated to consoles, my original target market was (and is) arcade equipment. Console support has come about after discussions with Fudoh, and other forum members.

I have to limit the number of connectors both on input & output for the first release, to keep the cost of production down.

Who knows that possible inputs may be added in the future, but I'm not going to debate that now, when the initial version of the product exists as a mass of wires and chips on a matrix of breadboards.
SNES_is_the_Best wrote:
Crafty+Mech wrote: I have no plans for a SCART connector. A SCART->DSub cable (http://tinyurl.com/m52puw4) would work for RGBs, and when component input is available, there are cheap SCART->Component adapters as well.
No disrespect, but this is really strange. Think about it for a moment.......how many Sega or Nintendo RGB cables do you see that have a D-Sub connector on the end? Zero, None. They all have SCART or JAP21. So seriously you should at least offer the option of a SCART input. Like 1 with D-Sub, and the other with SCART. Otherwise people will be forced to buy yet ANOTHER link in the chain.

Perhaps you could offer a version of your Retropix with SCART on one end, and DVI on the other for users with a HDTV. Why? Because no current TV's have VGA. And in the future when VGA will be gone from PC monitors (and its coming fast, sooner than later). Such a setup would allow users to get a DVI-to-HDMI cable and hook up to a HDMI-only monitor (which will eventually be the only option, whether we like it or not).
SNES_is_the_Best

Post by SNES_is_the_Best »

Crafty+Mech wrote:This project is not just dedicated to consoles, my original target market was (and is) arcade equipment. Console support has come about after discussions with Fudoh, and other forum members.

I have to limit the number of connectors both on input & output for the first release, to keep the cost of production down.

Who knows that possible inputs may be added in the future, but I'm not going to debate that now, when the initial version of the product exists as a mass of wires and chips on a matrix of breadboards.
SNES_is_the_Best wrote:

What I was referring to was 2 versions of it, not additional connectors. Haha. I mean you could have a "Console Version" (SCART input, DVI output), and then your original "Arcade Version" (D-Sub in, D-Sub out). That would be awesome. And then you'll cover both markets!
Sixfortyfive

Post by Sixfortyfive »

SNES_is_the_Best wrote:Otherwise people will be forced to buy yet ANOTHER link in the chain.
Yeah, but I've already got that link and would rather not have to buy redundant equipment! :P Just need some plain and simple 15khz RGBHV D-sub in => 31khz RGBHV D-sub out.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

we all do. VGA in/out is the best solution for a large user base. Some might prefer Scart, others won't, but compared to onboard pin headers VGA is a blessing.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Personally I'm fine with whatever I can buy cables for. Less fine with anything involving making cables :P
Crafty+Mech

Post by Crafty+Mech »

I definitely won't be producing two versions of the board for different markets. I can easily foot the fabrication costs for the mini SLG because the boards are so small. For the RetroPix however, the board will be much larger, and a single run of 100 boards is going to cost some real $. The initial roll out will need to be funded by either pre-order, or a Kickstarter campaign. Down the road maybe I'll be able to partner with someone who makes/sells good SCART adapters, then I could include a SCART/dsub/component adapter in the package for those who needed it.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Something I'd love is if you were to include R, G, B, S, and VIDEO GND solder points on the PCB, making it possible to hardwire JAMMA video straght to the scaler irectly for built-in supergun use.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

I wouldn't mind having this with an RGB21 interface, as that's pretty much what I've got right now (DIN style connector to RGB21 for XRGB2 and similar). I could always do an adapter or even just a DIN to 15-pin d-Sub (that's the input connector for this project, right?).
Crafty+Mech

Post by Crafty+Mech »

emphatic wrote:Something I'd love is if you were to include R, G, B, S, and VIDEO GND solder points on the PCB, making it possible to hardwire JAMMA video straght to the scaler irectly for built-in supergun use.
There will be a 5 pin connector for the video connectors found on the newer import Jamma harnesses. So if you don't have that connector, you could also use the solder points on the underside and tie in there. Or of course build a cable and tie into the 6 pin header, or 15pin dsub.
I could always do an adapter or even just a DIN to 15-pin d-Sub (that's the input connector for this project, right?).
Yep thats right, the Dsub connector I am using is HD15 (VGA).
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Well, like this: Supergun (or so) -> cable: DIN to D-sub 15-pin -> RetroPix -> VGA PC CRT at 31KHz

Is that correct?
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Crafty+Mech wrote:There will be a 5 pin connector for the video connectors found on the newer import Jamma harnesses.
Even better, thanks! :D