Strider 2: Future Ninja Godliness

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
jepjepjep

Re: Strider 2: Future Ninja Godliness

Post by jepjepjep »

Is the date code of your PCB different than 991213?

All of the capcom arcade games that I've had default to 4/8 difficulty (in japan region). 6/8 seems out of the ordinary. I wonder if you have a loc test or later revision?
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

Just in case it hasn't been posted yet, here's a 1cc run: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0GHM4APE_Y

This is just the last stage where the difficulty really ramps up. I'm of the opinion that about 75% of this game is super easy with huge spikes in difficulty--especially the last level. The early parts are all about speed, no miss and picking up those bonus points, but the last two levels are no joke.
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
Eugenics: you know it's right!
SHMUP sale page.
CIT

Post by CIT »

CMoon wrote:Just in case it hasn't been posted yet, here's a 1cc run: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0GHM4APE_Y
The video is tool-assisted.

The section the video starts with is actually by far the most difficult part in the game, but the way to get through is to forget about fighting and immediately launch into a jump over the first batch of enemies and when you're about to fall into the pit, to do a double jump. Then you jump again over the next enemies and when you get to the sword power up you move to the top route. Wait for the gravity to change and then *carefully* fight the enemies until you get to the "L" shaped bend in the corridor. Climb up for a bit, then drop yourself down again along the right wall. Some of the enemies that used to swarm the bottom will now be gone and it's easier to pick up the life extend (important item in this stage). Now you can ascend the long shaft, which is not that difficult as long as you take care to always align yourself against the enemies, depending on the state of gravity, in a way that their lasers won't hit you. Patience is key here.
ZaKa-tokyobassist

Post by ZaKa-tokyobassist »

What's the most effective way of killing that odd generator type boss that has the 4 or 5 red points that you have to destroy? I can never kill him quickly nor can avoid everything. After reading some posts here I'd assume it's better to go to the latter levels first.
PSN: tokyobassist
Fighting/SHMUPS/Run N' Gun/Action/Horror/Stealth Games/Arcade Racers/Rail Shooters/Gaming Lore
CIT

Post by CIT »

I assume you're talking about the midboss in 4-4? In the lab section with the mutants and scientists, right?

If you number each point 1234 from left to right, I do them in the order 4312. Moving up the slope instead of down, keeping ducked and sliding instead of walking, the mutants will have a harder time of hitting you. The main thing to watch out for then are the lasers that keep bouncing around the room.

Not sure, but I actually think stage 4 always has the same difficulty, regardless of when you pick it. 1-2-3 are the variable ones.
ZaKa-tokyobassist

Post by ZaKa-tokyobassist »

CIT wrote:I assume you're talking about the midboss in 4-4? In the lab section with the mutants and scientists, right?

If you number each point 1234 from left to right, I do them in the order 4312. Moving up the slope instead of down, keeping ducked and sliding instead of walking, the mutants will have a harder time of hitting you. The main thing to watch out for then are the lasers that keep bouncing around the room.

Not sure, but I actually think stage 4 always has the same difficulty, regardless of when you pick it. 1-2-3 are the variable ones.
Thank you sir/maam! I've been stuck trying to figure that out.
PSN: tokyobassist
Fighting/SHMUPS/Run N' Gun/Action/Horror/Stealth Games/Arcade Racers/Rail Shooters/Gaming Lore
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Bump!

I'm vainly trying to get better at the game. I'm lucky if I can beat two levels before giving up the ghost. It feels too easy to die in the game. I can make it to the last level of Strider if I am doing good; here, it's rare that I can do three levels max.

Currently I'm trying to do a 3>2>1 run, as that seems to be the best way to deal with the game's rank, though I am mostly used to 2>3, which is about as far as I get. I should use the boosts more. It's not like I'm going for the high-score or anything. :P

Major problem points for me thus far:

3:
Everything goes fine up until the mammoth boss (not much has changed in a year). I usually take too many hits here, if not die, trying to keep heads and tails of all the homing shots this thing craps out.

Gravity Core is not too bad, but I usually play too sloppily and get hit too much doing the midigiri instead of dodging.

Kraken is surprisingly a pain, because of those damn claws. I don't use the midigiri slash on this boss too much; it doesn't feel as effective.

2:
I mostly have this stage down. The only real sore spot is the final stretch before the boss; soldiers seem to pot-shot me occasionally, and the fight with the armored guard with soldiers in the background is problematic.

1:
Solo roughs me up too bad before the fight with the dragon.

Also to note is that I've started using the game's in-built autofire, because I am tired of wearing out my wrist every playthrough. This may or may not improve my run.

I also decided to cave and buy the new Strider, for better (or for worse), so we'll see how that goes.
DrVenom

Post by DrVenom »

Has anyone played the PS3 version of Strider 2 (included with the new Strider in Japan)? How is it compared to the one released on the PS1? I heard that one had slowdown. I think I should get one of them.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

I'm sure CIT has some good strats, but in his absence I can consistently clear my way to stage four.

3:
The mammoth isn't so tough, it just requires non stop sliding. Watch the homing shots, slide, watch the legs going up, slide. Slashing all the while of course. There's a sweet spot just in front of and under the trunk - as long as you're in slashing range. It's better not to slide too far behind him though or you won't be able to dodge the legs in time when then come down.

The biggest problem with the mammoth is his resilience is a killer on the wrist, so I usually power up with a special to chop him down faster because you get one (two?) back in the science lab anyway.

Gravity Core likes to snag me once sometimes, quite irritating, but the mid-air midigiri works if you get the timing right.

Kraken is easy. Be leisurely, no rush. Esp. if this is your stage 1 (lower rank). You can sit just aware from the claw range and your blade can reach over to snag the mid pods. I often use a power up here to speed things up too, simply because you can usually cause big damage to the pods with the homing shot while camping out of range, and they're replenished many times over in the coming stages.

2:
When you fight the second axe wielder, the one where there are dudes firing in the background, immediately use a power up. Your homing shot will kill the guys you normally can't get to (behind you) and then it's smooth sailing to kill the axe guy by sliding under his blade.

1:
Solo can be a bit of a dipshit if you get out of rhythm. I tend to sit underneath and just hop slash when the window is open. As BIL relayed to me early in this thread, he's not difficult but it's not a fight you can rush. You have to bide your time, allow him to fire his homing blades and slide, and when he's low down enough just hop up and carve him a new one. There's also either a health block or power up hidden to the right of the screen, can't remember which.

The dragon has an awkward early point in his attack where he shoots a fireball from his mouth while sending one along his body, often causing you to jump into the airborne one accidentally. But that's the only real sticking point. Otherwise, when he flips over and you're hanging upside down, just be sure to have safe distance when he does his maraca dancem and then edge in for more carving.

Hope this helps some.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

CIT

Post by CIT »

EmperorIng wrote:I'm vainly trying to get better at the game. I'm lucky if I can beat two levels before giving up the ghost. It feels too easy to die in the game. I can make it to the last level of Strider if I am doing good; here, it's rare that I can do three levels max.
Well, Strider 2 is a lot harder than the first one, but it's definitely beatable. Just takes some practice.
Currently I'm trying to do a 3>2>1 run, as that seems to be the best way to deal with the game's rank, though I am mostly used to 2>3, which is about as far as I get. I should use the boosts more. It's not like I'm going for the high-score or anything. :P
Yes, you should definitely use boost in tough spots where it's helpful. In fact, your score will probably improve with it, as not getting hit will net you a nice Life and Special Bonus (the latter if you no-miss a stage).

Another general advice would be not to spend too much time collecting bonus items, as blasting through the stages will make your life easier and any loss of points through items will be offset by the Time Bonus in the end.
Major problem points for me thus far:

3:
Everything goes fine up until the mammoth boss (not much has changed in a year). I usually take too many hits here, if not die, trying to keep heads and tails of all the homing shots this thing craps out.
This guy took me while to master too, but there are three spots here between which you'll want to keep sliding to avoid the homing missiles: between the snout and his forelegs, between his legs, and behind him. While you're sliding around, pay attention to what the mammoth is doing, if he's raising his snout or forelegs, you'll want to get out from under him and get behind him, and once he's completed his action you'll immediately want to get away from behind him again, as he'll kick you.
Don't use boost on the PS version here, as it'll create massive slowdown that will skip a few frames of your sword, making it harder to damage him.
Gravity Core is not too bad, but I usually play too sloppily and get hit too much doing the midigiri instead of dodging.
Use boost + midare-giri on all gravity cores. The first one should go down before he even notices you. :)
Kraken is surprisingly a pain, because of those damn claws. I don't use the midigiri slash on this boss too much; it doesn't feel as effective.
Remember that when hanging off a wall, pressing dash while attacking (→ → A) will double the speed of your sword. So just hang onto him and keep spamming dashes while you're attacking. If your sword is fully powered up, you don't even need to change sides.
2:
I mostly have this stage down. The only real sore spot is the final stretch before the boss; soldiers seem to pot-shot me occasionally, and the fight with the armored guard with soldiers in the background is problematic.
Like Skykid wrote, use a boost here to take out the guys in the background and you should be fine against the axeman.
1:
Solo roughs me up too bad before the fight with the dragon.
Again, as Skykid wrote, take your time here. You'll always want to be right below him, slide out of the way of his circular saws, and then get back under him. When the coast is clear, jump up and do some midare-giri. If he's close to the ground, spam some standing midare-giri on him (↓ ↑ A+B).
Also to note is that I've started using the game's in-built autofire, because I am tired of wearing out my wrist every playthrough. This may or may not improve my run.
I use autofire too. Just makes everything less painful (for your hand) and more enjoyable.
I also decided to cave and buy the new Strider, for better (or for worse), so we'll see how that goes.
Just don't expect an arcade style game, and you'll find it to be a pretty enjoyable Metroidvania.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

CIT wrote: Remember that when hanging off a wall, pressing dash while attacking (→ → A) will double the speed of your sword.
Wow, awesome tips in the house!

I'll have to get back into this, but since I left my PCB back in London I haven't rekindled the affair.

It is as you say way, way, way harder than the original Strider (a great gulf of difference), and certainly harder than Osman too, even with its woefully busted last stage.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Two great strategy posts in a row; I am very appreciative. Thanks!

Thanks for the mammoth tips + the Kraken trick, CIT; they should prove super-useful on eliminating trouble sections during my run.

Thanks to Skykid for your tips on the Dragon Emperor and Solo; for some reason the Dragon kills me more often than a stage 1 boss should (though I guess by the time I face him he's technically a stage 3 boss).

Thanks to both for good Boost-use spots.

Maraca dancing... certainly less cool than Strider 1's entire Red Menace coming to get you! :P

EDIT:

Was able to make it to the Solo fight before a stupid mistake finished me off - first bit of real progress I've made in a long time. :)
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Coming to PSN in the US, if anyone's interested.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Necroooooobump

After playing the original as a child, the 2014 version, and finding this in the wild at Barcade last year I had to have this.

Spotted this at my lgs last week and snatched it.

Interestingly the disc with Strider 2 appeared to be virgin while the disc with Strider looked like shit. I was informed of the label mishap and my best guess is whoever has it thought Strider was Strider 2.

Will dive in today.
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.