Recommended Anime/Manga?

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
RiMaDe

Re: Recommended Anime/Manga?

Post by RiMaDe »

Has anyone watched Love Hina? This anime was rated very highly by one person, which was unexpected for me. Is it worth watching?
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

RiMaDe wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:44 pm Has anyone watched Love Hina? This anime was rated very highly by one person, which was unexpected for me. Is it worth watching?
Love Hina is the originator for most of the obnoxious harem trends we still see today. Of course, I hate it just for that alone.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Goblin Slayer is legitimately one of the worst looking anime I've ever seen. Purely visually I mean. The show itself is fine, good even.
Steven

Post by Steven »

I have never seen the Love Hina anime, but someone once gave me the entire English manga for free. I read a few volumes and gave up.
RiMaDe

Post by RiMaDe »

Love Hina is the originator for most of the obnoxious harem trends we still see today. Of course, I hate it just for that alone.
Thanks for your reply.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Steamflogger Boss wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:47 pmGoblin Slayer is legitimately one of the worst looking anime I've ever seen. Purely visually I mean. The show itself is fine, good even.

I do recommend the manga of this one, or even the webnovel or light novel. The pacing and way they rearranged things to make them less impactful and to make less sense... My review of the anime adaption has always been "It feels like they're rushing through things like they don't have enough time, while at the same time pacing everything very slowly."

And of course the art in the manga is often quite good. It was very meme-worthy when it came out.

To Be A Power In The Shadows had some adaption decay, especially in the first episode, but it wasn't remotely this bad. It was about 85% faithful.

Though I guess nothing compares to Demon King Daimao compressing about six years worth of content down into two episodes. It was the weirdest fuckin' thing I ever saw, just every two seconds "Who the fuck is this? Did he just give an entire story arcs' worth of exposition in two sentences?! Did he just die???? ... who the fuck is this new guy?" (Said new characters often appeared by randomly bursting in through a wall.)

Argh, and now I'm reminded of the climatic battle at the end of the Brynhildr in the Darkness anime. In the manga, it's this epic battle (after most of the story being rather calm/focusing on the author's melting-girl fetish. So it was actually quite an important scene, not just another pokemon battle like in a shonen battle anime) between psychic monsters where an entire city gets ripped to shreds around them as collateral damage. Black holes get tossed back and forth constantly, all very epic.

And in the anime, the scene was changed to a girl flying about 4 feet off the ground and disappearing in a shiny light. .... Yeah.

There's this scene in Aku no Hana where the heorine asks the MC to write down an essay of his feelings during the uh "incident". The MC, being a lackadaisical turd, decides not to write the essay and just hands her a book saying "this is my essay". The girl's face collapses from pure delight to utter disappointment. Just begins to beat the shit out of the MC, screaming about how much she was looking forward to reading his crazy ramblings.

Sometimes I do feel like that, yeah.

If only everyone could be as faithful to the source material as The Princess Bride was.... First season of One Punch Man cut corners here and there, but they put everything in.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Started watching Bang Brave Bang Bravern.

Obari is directing, so I decided to try and keep up with it while it's airing. It's on episode 2 right now.
Good fun so far. A liiiiitle bit more tongue in cheek than I'd like, but I'm enjoying it. I really wish the mechs weren't CG. Bravern himself is stunningly goofy, but takes himself seriously at least.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

I'm really enjoying Classroom of the Elite on Crunchyroll. I mean, the big-breast stuff is whatever, but I really like the strategy focus of the main storyline within the high school setting. Really fun so far!

Is there anything similar that y'all would recommend?
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Gunbuster getting a dub after forty years really makes you think anything's possible, eh. I seriously thought someone would do it with AI before someone'd pay money to have it made.

Lots of things getting follow-ups small lifetimes after they last had anything come out for them. Madoka being one of them. Speaking of which

professor ganson wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:28 pmI mean, the big-breast stuff is whatever

It's ok, you can admit that it's great and an objective improvement on base reality.

Stuff with a pecking-order competition, light game elements, and the MC uses their brain a little bit.... I can think of several king's game style series, but most of them are a death game of one kind or another.

The only thing that readily comes to mind is that gambling school anime.
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

Thanks, Bryan. I think I know what you mean by the gambling school anime. That one didn’t have such an appealing aesthetic, iirc. But I had hopes because of the theme.

As for the breast issue, it took me many years to realize that bigger isn’t necessarily better. In any case they toned that down a bit in the second season so far.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

I liked Kakegurui. Wish there was more of it.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

I'm watching Record of Lodoss War. The TV series, not the older OAV series with the wrong ending. It's pretty damn fun if you like DnD stuff! Animation isn't like the best thing I've ever seen, but it's VG- or so. It looks like a combination of hand drawn and CGI, which would make sense for 1999ish. Some of the characters are better than others; Parn is pretty one dimensional and uninteresting, but they give more life to some of the supporting cast. Still though, I think it would be more compelling if Parn had a bit more depth, even though I get that is played kind of as a joke (as personified by the superdeformed shorts after each episode).

I would recommend it with the caveat that if you can't really get into the idea of a DnD game (or book) set to an anime, you won't like it. That's what it is and what it feels like in a nutshell.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

It's a little bit surprising how rare DnD style systems show up in things with game-element themes in Japanese webnovels. Where the powers aren't just about adjusting the numbers in combat, and where even a lv.1 goblin can hurt or kill a hero. Goblin Slayer is the biggest one of course.

But I can count on like two fingers others, and they are obscure. (It's easy to tell when something will get an animated adaption one day. I'm The Evil Lord Of An Interstellar Empire!, gets an adoption. Tabletop Wizard, does not.) In one of them, the guy mentions how few damage-dealing spells there are in tabletop games. There's only one magic missile, one fireball, one lightning bolt, one cone of cold, one cloudkill, one meteor shower, etc. Everything else is stuff like an invisible hand to carry your luggage or a sentinel that sounds an alarm if a door is opened.

As exciting as making numbers bigger is, Dragon Ball/Dragon Quest style, it really disempowers the hell out of everyone else in the world. Xianxia novels always have this contrivance where the MC is somehow constantly running into manageable threats, instead of the realistic outcome of immediately being turned into meat paste the second he leaves the sect. Because his numbers were a little too small.