Recommended Anime/Manga?

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
thepeaguy

Post by thepeaguy »

Dare I say "Full Metal Alchemist" here? :p
Dandy J

Post by Dandy J »

watch black lagoon fags
DJ Incompetent

Post by DJ Incompetent »

So...I don't really do the whole Manga thing, but I found they put out a Kingdom Hearts book retelling the Chain of Memories GBA thing. I've done the game, so I ran through the book and... well, let's just say I've never read through anything so predictable but still felt so unique. So I was captured enough to read the whole thing. Kinda waitin' on the next books to come out. And I don't feel cheated out of pages and story 'cause there would be nothing to edit out...at least that's what I'd tell myself in this case since it's Disney..

Actually, I do believe they're puttin' out a Final Mix KH2 for Japan only and that'll have the entire GBA game redone for PS2 as well.
SAM

Post by SAM »

Saw "Tales from Earthsea" (Studio Ghibli) at a movie theatre last week. :o
http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/earthsea/

Don't know how to say. But if you want me to describe it, it lost the magic of the previous film from Ghibli. :(

I doen't feel the film attrack my attention as the previous, "Spirited Away", "The Cat Returns" & "Howl's Moving Castle"... :?

This time they use the drawing style of "Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind", you could see this in the character's cloth design, scen design, etc.

I am a big fan of Nausicaä so it definatle not the reasons I dosen't like this film, but I know I dosen't like it as much as the rest. :cry:

Anybody seen it yet? :o
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
greg

Post by greg »

SAM wrote:Saw "Tales from Earthsea" (Studio Ghibli) at a movie theatre last week. :o
http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/earthsea/

Anybody seen it yet? :o
No, not yet. It was just released in Japan this summer, and hasn't made its way to North America yet. This movie is made by Miyazaki's son, and I believe he said something about how he didn't feel that his son was ready to create a film by himself yet. I am still interested in seeing this film, naturally. Maybe it will be available on DVD by the time I go back to Japan this February.
Undamned is the leading English-speaking expert on the consolized UD-CPS2 because he's the one who made it.
Ceph

Post by Ceph »

greg wrote:he said something about how he didn't feel that his son was ready to create a film by himself yet.
Goro Miyazaki is 39 years old. If you aren't ready at 39, chances are you'll never be.
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

Ode to Kirihito

Possibly one of the greatest comics I've ever read with all the sophistication of Moore, only well before him. Absolutely tremendous achievement that truly rocks the foundation of what good manga (and even good comics) can be.

Edit: Tales from Earthsea? Now I'm very curious about that...hopefully it will turn up here in the US soon.
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
Eugenics: you know it's right!
SHMUP sale page.
DC906270

Post by DC906270 »

If you aren't ready at 39, chances are you'll never be.
er no what a depressing thought
greg

Post by greg »

Ceph wrote:Goro Miyazaki is 39 years old. If you aren't ready at 39, chances are you'll never be.
Experience and Expertise should be the main factor, not age. Being a director is a huge artistic challenge. Maybe if this movie falls flat, that may be a sign. I haven't read much about audience reaction to the film yet, other than Sam's comments here.
Undamned is the leading English-speaking expert on the consolized UD-CPS2 because he's the one who made it.
Dale

Post by Dale »

I just read Ohikkoshi and it was awesome it's great to see Samura doing something so diffrent from BOTI. I expecially enjoyed the first story very touching I also enjoyed the short comedic comic at the end.

I also just read Monster volume2 which is also great. Althought it doesn't feel very Japenese, which isn't a problem mind you. It has great suspense and is shaping up to be something great.
I did great so much water and milk that I threw up when I was little.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Dale wrote:I just read Ohikkoshi and it was awesome it's great to see Samura doing something so diffrent from BOTI. I expecially enjoyed the first story very touching I also enjoyed the short comedic comic at the end.
Just picked up Ohikkoshi myself, and really enjoying it. Always liked Samura's art style and storytelling. Another recommendation for this manga from me.

As for stuff to watch, there really isn't much this season. I do recommend the new version of Negima though - imaginatively titled Negima!? - as its really excellent stuff. Done by the same studio that did Pani Poni Dash! I believe. Its an alternate telling of the Negima story, it has some great art direction, brilliant action sequences, and is absolutely hilarious.
UnscathedFlyingObject

Post by UnscathedFlyingObject »

Trinity Blood for all you with nun fetishes.
"Sooo, what was it that you consider a 'good salary' for a man to make?"
"They should at least make 100K to have a good life"
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

black lagoon
so long and tanks for all the spacefish
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
<Megalixir> i'm stuck in a hobby with gays
SAM

Post by SAM »

Twiddle wrote:black lagoon
Only watched the 1st season, quite good so far. :)
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
Acid King

Post by Acid King »

I just got volumes 12 and 13 of the Dark Horse translation of Berserk for Christmas and am horrified that they started translating the sound effects. They've already done a full third of the series, why start translating the sound effects now? It's so distracting and obtrusive... Anyways, this has irritated me enough to consider buying the japanese volumes. Can anyone recommend a place to buy the japanese collections?
Feedback will set you free.
captpain wrote:Basically, the reason people don't like Bakraid is because they are fat and dumb
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

Tokyo Tribe 2

the anime adaptation

Gangsta culture invades Japan in full force. Excellent art and style.
so long and tanks for all the spacefish
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
<Megalixir> i'm stuck in a hobby with gays
JoshF

Post by JoshF »

Anything by Katsuya Terada.
MegaShock! | @ YouTube | Latest Update: Metal Slug No Up Lever No Miss
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

Wow...just finished the Berserk anime... Jesus, way to end that series (I'm reading the manga too, but seriesly, the ending of the anime must have pissed a lot of people off.)

I can only assume that at the time they had every intention of continuing where they left off.
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
SHMUP sale page.
Rob

Post by Rob »

CMoon wrote:Wow...just finished the Berserk anime...
Me too, yesterday. Initial reaction: kind of unsatisfying. Seemed to just wrap it up with a final stab at shock value. Was never inspired to care about the characters by the end. Entertaining overall, but felt just a little too shallow and pointless to me (entire series). GUTS IS TOUGH / FOLLOW YOUR OWN DREAM x 24 episodes.
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

Maybe I like it more because I'm reading the manga. Realize this whole series is really only the prologue to the story.

Honestly I've never read as much more than a modern rendition of Conan.

I guess I like Conan ;)
SHMUP sale page.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

This is all I'm watching this season.

Gungriffon Geona

Post by Gungriffon Geona »

Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann

A new anime made by Gainax (makers of Evangelion and FLCL).

How to describe this show, well, its got Giant Robots, drills, Yoko's boobs, and it looks like FLCL mixed with a little bit of Disgaea.

Basically the story goes a little something like this. In the future Humanity lives underground. They just live there peacefully and slowly continue to dig to expand their villages. Needless to say, our protaganist, Simon, is one of those diggers. Still just a young boy he is one of the best drillers in his village of Jeeha. The people live a little in fear of random earthquakes and the ceiling collapsing on top of them but they continue to live this way nonetheless. Some people believe there is a surface above the ceiling, where they no longer have to live in fear of earthquakes and being squashed but others refuse to think that is true. One day while digging, Simon finds a very small drill that glows brightly. It is on this day that things begin to change.

These are the three main characters:

Simon in the middle, Kamina to the left, Yoko to the right
needless to say it's rather hilarious stuff, not mention really badass. Kamina is a massive joke of a character, given he has the "never give up" mentality that nearly gets him killed several times, a insanely long sword that puts sephiroth to shame, and some of the most insane glasses ever. he even puts them on the Ganmen, Gurren, itself. (as you've probably noticed, the mecha have faces on there torsos, which actually move their mouths to the speech of the pilot.) the head on top is actually a smaller Ganmen named Lagann.
The intro for those who want to check it out.

I don't know why, but watching this I get a "Super Robot" vibe that I haven't seen since the days of Mazinger and and Voltron. and that's in a good and wacky way, not in a bad and "cool because of nostalgia" way.
FLYING CARS WITH CRAB CLAWS
NTSC-J

Post by NTSC-J »

Rob wrote:
CMoon wrote:Wow...just finished the Berserk anime...
Me too, yesterday. Initial reaction: kind of unsatisfying. Seemed to just wrap it up with a final stab at shock value. Was never inspired to care about the characters by the end. Entertaining overall, but felt just a little too shallow and pointless to me (entire series). GUTS IS TOUGH / FOLLOW YOUR OWN DREAM x 24 episodes.
I've read some dumb stuff on this forum, but I think you've taken first prize with this one. I like the anime fine, but "shallow and pointless" are the last words I would use to describe the series. In terms of rich characterization Berserk is better than just about anything in the medium, so either read the manga or ask an adult to explain it all to you.
Rob

Post by Rob »

NTSC-J wrote: In terms of rich characterization Berserk is better than just about anything in the medium,
Speaks poorly for anime.
NTSC-J

Post by NTSC-J »

I'm talking mostly about the manga, which is the true Berserk. The anime is more like Berserk-lite. But if all you seriously think the story is about is "GUTS IS TOUGH / FOLLOW YOUR OWN DREAM", then you either weren't paying attention or you haven't gone through adulthood and can't understand the mature themes.
Rob

Post by Rob »

That's great if you got an important message from the show, but I couldn't get past the flimsy and cliched characters. Every character was entirely predictable in a bad way.

It was entertaining (like Terminator 2 is entertaining).
NTSC-J

Post by NTSC-J »

Part of Berserk's greatness is taking what looks like a standard action fantasy story and making the characters truly human. The characters are no more predictable than any of us and will often take actions that are surprising and impulsive.

For me, its Miura's exploration into morality and humanity that's most remarkable. He deals with themes that no one else will touch like STDs, the impact of sexual violence on women and children, sexism, and homosexuality in real terms.

The anime neuters the story hard by leaving out The Idea of Evil, the Instercise, the armor, the Beast of Darkness and all that, so if all you saw was Guts swinging a sword that's a shame. Berserk does demand a certain level of maturity and experience with relationships and sexuality to truly grasp it all. So if you didn't like it, fine. If it's not your kind of story, that's ok. But don't say there's nothing there just because you don't have the patience to try to understand it.
JoshF

Post by JoshF »

Guts might appear to be the typical badass in the anime but the manga offers a ton more insight into his flaws and weaknesses. For instance when Guts and Caska have sex in the anime its portrayed as something tender but in the manga Guts flashes back to when he was raped (I think this might've been cut from the anime as well.)
MegaShock! | @ YouTube | Latest Update: Metal Slug No Up Lever No Miss
Rob

Post by Rob »

Yeah, I just watched the show. I don't read manga.

I did not buy the characters humanity. Griffith was the most interesting and believable. I didn't hate Guts and Casca, but both were very weak. I'm not sure where Guts places on the unstoppable killing machine with big sword toughguy, silent but really sensitive timeline of anime characters. But even if he was the first, not very interesting. Casca - tomboy around the crew but really just wants some tender lovin'. Their personalities couldn't have been revealed in less interesting ways. Casca melting in Guts' arms seemed forced and predictable, amazingly. They have a relationship like rivalling siblings AND tots who won't admit they have a crush on each other. It's kind of cute.

I could've asked for some interesting opposition to Griffith/Guts/Casca too. The commanders/whatever/bald headed guy rubbing his hands together in shady courtyard meetings were all as compelling as video game stage bosses. There's just not enough to get absorbed in. Even if Guts/Casca's or Griffith/Casca's or Guts/Griffith's relationships were interesting, half of the show is moving from battle to battle, the next step in Griffith's master plan where they encounter King Hippo in Captain N-caliber warriors.

The most memorable thing from the series for me were the sequences of violence and cruelty (#1 entire scene of breaking Griffith out from the dungeon). The invicibility of Guts' character (until the end) really hampers the believability of (or empathy for) the character. Abused, neglected children join a gang and have dysfunctional relationships with each other that resolve themselves awkwardly and etc.

SPOIELR

Ends with Griffith screwing everyone over. Actually, I haven't spent much time thinking about the ending so not quite clear on the point of the final scene.
NTSC-J

Post by NTSC-J »

Man, fuck the anime. It isn't canon, it screws stuff up, leaves holes; it isn't Berserk. If you want an engaging, powerful experience read the manga. All three major characters get fleshed out way more and become as real as fictional characters can get. Like JohnF said, the scene with Casca and Guts kissing for the first time got fucked up by the anime by leaving out the most important part.

And if you want to figure out "the point of the final scene" you have to read the books because the character that resolves it was chopped out of the anime altogether. How they would even approach a second season is beyond me.

If the anime bored you to tears so much that you won't read the manga, it's all your loss. But trust me, 20 years of manga made by one guy has a whole lot more in it than some filler 25-episode cartoon.