XIIZEAL & ΔZEAL (Shooting Love) / Triangle Service / Xbox360

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
05pro

Re: XIIZEAL & ΔZEAL (Shooting Love) / Triangle Service / Xbo

Post by 05pro »

BPzeBanshee wrote:Well, no ST thread yet, but P_HAT got back to me and gave me permission to take over the High Score thread. http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=46230

Still working on some formatting issues and merging the old scores as of time of writing but feel free to submit in the correct format. Kiken has a mere 1mil score for the PS2 port on there would you believe. :o
Cool, I'll be sure to drop in when I get around to playing the main game mode properly. Any chance in adding in boards for the score attack stages? They're the most fun for me right now.

After your tip on triggering the extended route in stage 5 I've no managed to take top spot on that board and after a few hours of grinding I eventually managed to get top place for stage 4. Man that stage's annoying as the 1st three quarters is super easy (and long) with very few worthwhile scoring tricks (that I know of anyway) and then it's the plane rush section which I don't fully understand yet in terms of forcing a great score. I'm sure on my top run I got a couple more planes than usual spawning in but I'll need to double check this tonight.

I'm now top place on every board except stages 3 and 6 that I've yet to play. I'm gonna make a start on stage 6 tonight if only to learn the basic layout of the stage. I know stage 3 will be a pain as so much depends on a long winded boss milking session so I'm leaving that 'til last.

All of my best runs except stage 1 have replays available now so feel free to watch, copy and improve upon them as currently only ALOEsan has any good comparable scores up across all boards. I don't think there's much that can be done to improve my stage 1 and 2 scores (without using mega-autofire hacks on stage 2) but all of my other bests have room for improvement with default settings being used.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Just nailed a 7.85 million run in XIIZeal and I didn't have any internet hiccups.. so the replay should be available for download. Pulled into 2nd on the leaderboards. Otherwise, in the process of uploading my first SCC to my Youtube channel.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Nice one Kiken! Will watch when I get home tonight.

05pro: Once I get the info gaps for the old highscore thread sorted I'll get to adding the Score Attack for XIIZeal as needed.
05pro

Post by 05pro »

Congrats Kiken. I'd like to think that when I've learned a good route for stage 3 in score attack mode I can start transferring my skills over to the main game. I think a score in the 7mil range could be do-able for me.

I made a start on stage 6 score attack last night and if you hate getting sniped then I suggest you give this stage a wide berth. I don't know what the best potential scoring route is right now so I'm just trying to one life no bomb my way to the boss and then bomb milk him for all I'm worth. Currently in 2nd place with a ton of things still to learn.
Last edited by 05pro on Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
05pro

Post by 05pro »

BPzeBanshee wrote:Nice one Kiken! Will watch when I get home tonight.

05pro: Once I get the info gaps for the old highscore thread sorted I'll get to adding the Score Attack for XIIZeal as needed.
Cool, thanks for this. Hopefully it might temp a few more people to give this mode a shot
05pro

Post by 05pro »

A few things I've figured out over the last few weeks that might bu useful to others. I'm sitting at work bored so thought I'd throw this together:

1. When you kill an enemy with a side / back attack the number the game says (two, three up to twelve) is the multiplier you have just triggered, not the multiplier you have earned. When killing certain enemies, for example the engine parts of the stage 4 big ship that take a few seconds to kill, when the games says twelve as you destroy the engine, you probably only scored a x11 multiplier for the kill itself as the time it takes to destroy the enemy is longer than your multiplier timer. The actual 'live' multiplier is always shown at the bottom of the screen. It can often be beneficial to kill a smaller, low value, enemy at x11 1st in order to get the full x12 multiplier on the bigger, high value enemy.

2. Killing enemies with the shot or bomb earns the enemy value x the current multiplier. I used to think that bomb kills only earned the base enemy value but that's not the case. You can't kill smaller enemies inside the bomb radius to increase the multiplier though. You can however sit inside the bomb radius and kill enemies outside it via your side attack to keep the multiplier up. Bigger enemies inside a bomb radius can be killed via side attacks to increase the multiplier such as the stage 4 plane rush as the bomb isn't powerful enough to kill them on it's own and the side attack is so powerful that it 'steals' the kill from the bomb.

3. There are sections such as the 1st part of stage 4 and the section before the gun turret on stage 6 where you want to go a bit slower on killing popcorn enemies in order to extend your x12 chain in order to be able to apply it to bigger enemies.

4. Grind points. Your back attack can be used to grind points off of all enemies. It's not hugely practical or safe to do in most cases but can be used to give yourself a slight point bonus in several cases. On stage one, when the big ships come in from the sides, sit on the wings to grind a few thousand points off of them. Also, when the huge multi-part ships appear from the sides on stage 2, shoot their wings a few times. You don't want to kill them but even the highest scoring replay misses a few easy points by just sitting around waiting on them to fire. Also, when killing popcorn enemies with the back attack such as 90% of the stage 1 enemies, keep firing your main shot at the same time as this grinds a few extra points of of them.

5. To trigger the red, higher scoring boss on stage 2 you must kill the last enemy prior to the boss at x12. I think you get an achievement for this too??

6. To trigger the plane rush on stage 4 you must kill the final tail turret at x12 whilst it's at the very bottom of the screen.

7. On stage 3 when the 1st horizontal road is about to scroll off screen a red car drives along it. You get decent points and an achievement for killing it.

8. On stage 6 there is a small plane on the ground in the top right of the screen before the gun turret section. Kill it for 10k points and an achievement.

I fire a few more up as and when I remember them
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

Been slacking off on shmups for a while until I saw Play-Asia had this with free shipping. Damn it's nice to look at sprites again.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

I still haven't had time to put mine in play. :(
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Skyline

Post by Skyline »

Still waiting on mine to arrive.

I must have bad luck with purchasing Triangle Service's games. Trizeal got it's shipment delayed way back when, and then the disc was damaged during delivery. Hopefully that isn't the case a second time here.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Managed to nail my goal and break the 8 million barrier (8,136,000 to be exact). The replay should be up on the leaderboards, I'll upload a capture to Youtube tomorrow.

I think I'm done with XiiZeal for the time being. As much as I want to 1000 this collection... I just don't see myself SCCing DeltaZeal.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

With your skillset DeltaZeal is definitely accomplishable, 8mil for that game is IMHO a real challenge though. >:D
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

BPzeBanshee wrote:With your skillset DeltaZeal is definitely accomplishable, 8mil for that game is IMHO a real challenge though. >:D
I made it up to just before the TLB.. a small blue ship was looping back and forth... I thought it was some background element (never saw it while I was credit feeding to practice the stage). Nope, turns out it was on my plane cause it crashed right into me and ended my credit. In order to stand a chance I have to No Miss right up to the final boss battle and then just go nuts. I did break 4 million though... I think 5 million is going to be my score ceiling for DeltaZeal. I'm using the 3A and 5B paths since they have the easier bosses.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

What the fuck? Do you have a replay for that? If so could you upload a video?

I don't recall anything of the like on the final stage.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

BPzeBanshee wrote:What the fuck? Do you have a replay for that? If so could you upload a video?

I don't recall anything of the like on the final stage.
I did not save the replay... it might still be on the leaderboards... not sure (as always, the glitch might have swallowed it.. don't remember if I played additional credits after that).
ATTRACTS

Post by ATTRACTS »

Just grabbed this today from Video Games New York, having no experience with the older games, I was turned off at first by the presentation but damn, after about 3 hours I am completely hooked on XIIZeal. Excellent stuff.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Finally got that All Clear in DeltaZeal to round out the cheevos for this collection (pulled 4.6 million). It's kinda lame that DeltaZeal's replays don't show the credits (XIIZeal's, on the other hand, do keep the incredibly short credits but don't show the final score breakdown tally).

I did capture the run and will post it to Youtube in the next couple of days.

I think I'm now done with these two games. Time to return to Mushi Futari 1.5 Maniac.
05pro

Post by 05pro »

Congrats Kiken. I've hardly played Deltazeal yet but I like what I see so far. I'll probably switch over to it once I've done some acceptable runs on XIIzeal as SDOJ is kicking my ass a bit too hard
Pretas
Banned User

Post by Pretas »

So there is a 38-page PDF file on the soundtrack + video CD included with the Special Pack, featuring an impressive amount of text and pictures related to Triangle Service's history and arcade lore in general.

I've uploaded it here, if anyone ever cares to tackle the monumental project of translating it.
KAI

Post by KAI »

Wow, thanks Pretas.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Yeah, the videos are pretty much some kind of drunk karaoke though aren't they?

I'm sure it's related to all the nonsense with the Carbonara somehow.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

So I just got this a couple days ago. I've actually had XIIZeal on the PS2 (XIIStag) for a while, but DeltaZeal is totally new to me. What's up with all the name changes, what were these games originally titled? What about Shooting Love 200X, I saw it when I bought this, what is that one?

Also I'd like to learn to play these properly, could anyone link me to some good resources, like an ST or something? I'm especially interested in info on DeltaZeal.
<STG.1cc> 死ぬがよい <ACT.1cc>
HydrogLox

Post by HydrogLox »

ACSeraph wrote:I'm especially interested in info on DeltaZeal.
ΔZEAL is the "finished" version of G-Stream G2020 for the Xbox 360 that Toshiaki Fujino (founder and owner of Triangle Service) originally created as an arcade game for Oriental Soft Japan in 2002.

ST: G-Stream G2020

STG Weekly #21: G-Stream G2020

http://124.146.199.138/app-def/S-102/gl ... 2013/05/19

Kiken's DeltaZeal All Clear: 4,641,290
ACSeraph wrote:What's up with all the name changes, what were these games originally titled?
XIIStag was renamed to XIIZEAL when it was ported to Windows Mobile - at that point in time Toshiaki Fujino had already created TRIZEΔL and EXZEΔL and he seemed to like the -ZEΔL/-ZEAL suffix. There also is a one stage demo called XIIStag Limited for Windows 95.

Millennium Crisis XIIStag Page

Kiken's XIIZeal Current High Score: 8,163,000 (6/22/13)

Toshiaki Fujino probably retained the rights to G-Stream G2020 as Oriental Soft Japan didn't pay him but renaming it was probably a legal move and it gave him an excuse to use the -ZEAL suffix again.
ACSeraph wrote:What about Shooting Love 200X, I saw it when I bought this, what is that one?
It contains (Jpn region-locked):
  • Trizeal Remix
  • Exzeal
  • The "Shmups Skill Test" mini-games.
  • Minus Zero
An Exzeal superplay DVD is also included.

"Shooting Love 200X" is essentially Shooting Love 2007 + Trizeal Remix + Minus Zero for the Xbox 360. "Shooting Love 2007" was a Naomi release of Exzeal + "Shmups Skill Test". The beginnings of the "Shmups Skill Test" can be found on the PS2 release "Shooting Love: Trizeal".

Shooting Love 2007 Promo Video
Exzeal Last Boss superplay
Exzeal Stage 1 on Makaron

Minus Zero is an experimental "lock-on only" shooter.
Minus Zero for Windows

Trizeal was initially released for the Naomi platform in 2004 followed by the Dreamcast and PS2 releases.

ST: Trizeal
ShmupEmAll's 1-sissy Trizeal (Hydeux)
Kiken's Trizeal Remix All Clear: 4,082,380 pts

SoftOtaku's Shooting Love Triangle interview
Triangle Service's YouTube Channel ShootingLove200X.

EDIT: Added Kiken's DeltaZeal and XIIZeal runs.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Random question about this collection... you can remap the controls, right? If I'm going to spend good money on import games, I want to make sure I'm not going to have to cripple myself (or worse, use the 360 pad) playing them. Are any of the 360 shmups dumb enough to not let you remap buttons?
ptoing

Post by ptoing »

All of the shmups I bought for the 360 (Shooting Love included) let you remap the controls.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

TransatlanticFoe wrote:Random question about this collection... you can remap the controls, right? If I'm going to spend good money on import games, I want to make sure I'm not going to have to cripple myself (or worse, use the 360 pad) playing them. Are any of the 360 shmups dumb enough to not let you remap buttons?
R-Type Dimensions on XBLA does not allow the player to custom map buttons. The bonus port of DDP included with Instant Brain also does not allow custom button mapping.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Nice, thanks chaps! This looks like it's next on the list.
qmish

Post by qmish »

Pretas wrote:So there is a 38-page PDF file on the soundtrack + video CD included with the Special Pack, featuring an impressive amount of text and pictures related to Triangle Service's history and arcade lore in general.

I've uploaded it here, if anyone ever cares to tackle the monumental project of translating it.
Anybody, please reup

:roll:
Koa Zo

Re: XIIZEAL & ΔZEAL (Shooting Love) / Triangle Service / Xbox360

Post by Koa Zo »

"newly recorded developer commentary" would be something different if the commentary plays along with the game, like the commentary tracks on movie discs. Has a running commentary ever been done in a videogame?

Was excited to see this thread bumped, I'd been wondering if Triangle Service was still in the game.
Just disappointed there is no PS4/5 release.