Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Lemnear

Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread

Post by Lemnear »

Lethe wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:15 pm
Lemnear wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:22 pm But Takumi's games aren't CAVEfish games with a twist on the gameplay?
Garegga is just Gun Frontier with autofire. RayForce is just Xevious with lock-ons, but for some reason 98% of post-RF games with reticles are referencing the Ray series and not Xevious.
Lemnear wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:22 pmTreasure can't be imitated, their vision is too unique and conceptually high. Are the phylosophers of the SHMUPS developers (IMO).
(Garegga rank) [...] probably one of the highest achievements ever achivied in the SHMUPS genre
You say this, like so many other people, but why are any of those things true?
Garegga rank existed to make the game unfair so players put more coins in, it's everything else about the game that motivated so much investigation. It's basically dumb luck that it took on a life of its own. The later Garegga revisions even change the mechanics to make exploiting rank obnoxious and force you to play "properly" - bad extend rate or no extends, can't mess with the autofire, can't control your options - nobody plays them.
Haven't tried Gun.Frontier yet :oops:

About Treasure? IDK, but i feel that their games secretly speaks to you, there's a lot of symbolism, everything is placed and designed to send you a message.
An Ascetic/Esoteric/Mystical SHMUP.
Don't misunderstand me, i like their "signature" and aesthetic, but i wont put them first (or too high), are too unique to not be praised, and too unique to be copied and spawn a new SHMUPS Branch. A rare beast, like "Plato in a CAVE". :wink:

So why Battle Garegga is so praised and at this point "indirectly" influential?
I LOVE it graphically and musically, it's great but gameplay-wise is not so fun...at least for me, i found "artificiality" in it.
As if you can't play "with the flow", if you understand what i mean...i can't enter in my "Trance-State".
Is devoid of that, and i think that the synesthesia effect is ESSENTIAL in arcade games and arcade experience (or Arcades on Consoles). You should be overwhelmed by the music, the graphic the gameplay, in an adrenaline explosion....if i have to think too much about how i play it, it breaks that magical chain.
How can a SHOOTING game punish you for shooting too much? It even denies to you the joy of a fully upgraded aircraft!!!
Was the game not copied for this reason? Because looks counterintuitive for the genre logic and for what is "fun" in SHMUPS.
I thought that was praised because was litterally designed to punish "1CC No Miss" players.
Lethe wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:15 pm Darius Gaiden, before Garegga, has a rank system that's somewhat comparable in complexity, is way more conscientiously designed, and has more in common with the score/rank balancing systems which have become a genre staple. Batrider after has the properly fixed Garegga system that works out similarly, excepting its stupid boot rank thing. But nobody can deny that Garegga is massively influential, despite nobody wanting to clone its supposedly most defining aspect. Maybe that wasn't the important part of it after all.
Despite i've played Darius Gaiden (Co-op) only once, i wasn't aware about the rank system but you could feel there was something in the air.
We reached the end with some credits and randomly advanced to the last zone but my pal abandoned me before the end.
So i faced the last boss alone.
I've never felt so WRECKED by a Boss in ANY other SHMUPS as THIS BOSS did.
At one point the boss stopped to attack and i thought "Oh, i won?" then suddenly it threw all those "tentacles" at me, which until then doesn't seems tentacles at all...and the boss never used that attack before!
Nice to know that Darius Gaiden have a more balanced Rank System than Garegga :D
Lethe wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:15 pm Definitely not. Zanac (86/87) is one of the best-known early granular rank systems. That whole thread is great reading BTW, goes towards the point of how iterative everything is and how developers pull ideas from everywhere.
That post :shock:. Many almost forgotten games added many mechanics YEARS earlier than the more famous SHMUPS did later :o
Probably the developers in mid-80//mid-90 knows those games...or maybe they simply ended with the same idea 10/20 years later IDK.

PS: Is Raiden considerable "Toaplan-esque" ???
Why is one of the most beloved series? It is still alive today.
Few SHMUPS games and series can say that...really.

Bassa-Bassa wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 6:32 pm Check also Daioh's Oyaji System for a complex and nasty rank feature previous to Garegga and even Darius Gaiden.

But I also disagree that rank is an achievement as there are many other better ways to add difficulty to your game than being dishonest with the player. Something that Treasure in particular can be proud of, by the way.
So... i really can't understand why Battle Garegga is indispensable and influential SHMUP.
Looks like if its influence is exclusively negative at this point.
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

I'm still really undecided about my next purchase.

I wish to be able to finish at least 1CC 1-All every game i own and every game i will own in the future.
The hardest "modern" SHMUP i finished 1CC was Under Defeat, and the oldest one was Xevious.
Games like GG Aleste and Gleylancer turned out to be way too easy (but really really nice!), while some that i own turned out to be too hard at the moment.
So what is the next step? To achieve a slighty harder 1CC than previous ones? I chose to give this kind of order to my wish list (that enlarges continuosly D: ).
My actual level:
Spoiler
At the moment i'm more into old school shmups (even memorizers) and less in danmaku style, i feel that with old school shmups i can learn fundamentals better.
For now i'm better at macrododging than micrododging, not so good with long tap-dodge patterns, really bad with ground enemies in hori shmups (especially those with a secondary weapon, like bombs etc.), good at grazing in danmaku, good in bullet sealing and luring enemies, nearly unable without autofire, especially if it fires a single bullet. :oops:
BIL

Post by BIL »

Lemnear wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:54 pm I'm still really undecided about my next purchase.

I wish to be able to finish at least 1CC 1-All every game i own and every game i will own in the future.
Just go with whatever balance suits you best. Some people are genuinely happiest mastering a tight selection of games, or even a single game. Others like to dabble across a wide range, with the odd 1CC or hi score pursuit here and there. You can always do a bit of both. ;3

Main thing is not to burn yourself out. imo, the beauty of STGs and other arcade staples is their agelessness. They're strongly performance-based games; primarily about the development of the player, rather than their avatar. A prized clear or high score will be just as rewarding no matter when you get around to it, even in games released long before you were born. It's not like Garegga or Ketsui will lose their intensity because you left your 1ALL at 90% to play something else.

Under Defeat 1ALL's a pretty nice clear, btw!
Steven

Post by Steven »

Yeah, I only do like one thing every year myself.

Anyway, I say do either GG Aleste 3 normal + kaiteki ALL (it's better with kaiteki on, I think, and not too hard; I got a clear on it without even practicing, which is very obvious when you look at the replay that I posted... a shameful death early in the game and it almost completely fell apart near the end. Very surprised I got the clear at all) or the Hishouzame 1-ALL. I forgot exactly how much time Hishouzame 1-ALL took me, but I believe it was 7 hours and either 2 or 6 minutes, and that was when I was essentially a beginning/entry-level player.
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

BIL wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:37 pm
Lemnear wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:54 pm I'm still really undecided about my next purchase.

Just go with whatever balance suits you best. Some people are genuinely happiest mastering a tight selection of games, or even a single game. Others like to dabble across a wide range, with the odd 1CC or hi score pursuit here and there. You can always do a bit of both. ;3

Main thing is not to burn yourself out. imo, the beauty of STGs and other arcade staples is their agelessness. They're strongly performance-based games; primarily about the development of the player, rather than their avatar. A prized clear or high score will be just as rewarding no matter when you get around to it, even in games released long before you were born. It's not like Garegga or Ketsui will lose their intensity because you left your 1ALL at 90% to play something else.

Under Defeat 1ALL's a pretty nice clear, btw!
I'm trying to find that selection and/or refine it.
The problem is that if i jump on something that is too hard at the moment (example: Gunbird 2 or for what can i see, even Daioh) i can't enjoy it in its entirety, and if it's too easy could be less stimulating.
Always thought that Under Defeat was easy...
Steven wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:17 am Yeah, I only do like one thing every year myself.

Anyway, I say do either GG Aleste 3 normal + kaiteki ALL (it's better with kaiteki on, I think, and not too hard; I got a clear on it without even practicing, which is very obvious when you look at the replay that I posted... a shameful death early in the game and it almost completely fell apart near the end. Very surprised I got the clear at all) or the Hishouzame 1-ALL. I forgot exactly how much time Hishouzame 1-ALL took me, but I believe it was 7 hours and either 2 or 6 minutes, and that was when I was essentially a beginning/entry-level player.
This happened to me with GG Aleste 1 (tried as a "Demo" for the Aleste Collection)...and despite i have the impression that i've already played this game on Game Gear years ago (IDK how...or why), it ended to be very very easy and the only reason why i like it are the incredible BGM and the chromatic palette.

If the Collection had a "GG Washed-Colors" filter maybe T__T..with that blurred/delayed effect.
Hovewer which one of the Toaplan Garage comes with Teki-Paki?

And ...for some reason i start to like arcade games that looks crappy and runs on a cheap hardware ahahah
pretty much all the brands that Hamster has now...idk why...but are fashinating, like something that was forgotten for so long.
Steven

Post by Steven »

To be clear, I did still practice GG Aleste 3, but I practiced the game with kaiteki off, not on. I think I played it with kaiteki on a few times just to see how different it is (it is quite different due to being significantly faster and definitely more difficult with it on), but when I actually did my clear I didn't specifically prepare for it in advance or do any serious practice with the kaiteki mode turned on, and I hadn't played the game at all for several months.
Lemnear wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:44 am Hovewer which one of the Toaplan Garage comes with Teki-Paki?
All of them. You can't escape it~

Actually Teki-Paki is the game that I have spent by far the most time with over the past two or three weeks. It's so damn good~
BIL

Post by BIL »

Lemnear wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:44 amI'm trying to find that selection and/or refine it.
The problem is that if i jump on something that is too hard at the moment (example: Gunbird 2 or for what can i see, even Daioh) i can't enjoy it in its entirety, and if it's too easy could be less stimulating.
Daioh might be a good pick, if you're going for 1ALLs. It's got a comfy bomb stock, and a generous ship - much moreso than the stern Raiden and Trigon - while remaining authentically Toaplanesque. Just keep your power and speed moderate until you've got some routes down, the Rank gets mean if maxed out. (consider exercising P Control Image Image)

It sounds like Thunder Dragon 2 (NMK) and Dangun Feveron (CAVE) might serve you well. Super-polished 90s gems fitting the oldsdchool profile you describe; an emphasis on macro vs Fast Aimed Shots™ over danmaku. Both have beautiful PS4 releases, from Hamster and M2 respectively. And - unlike GB2, UD, and Daioh, all of which have second loops - they're a compactly tough 1ALL apiece. (Dangun has a True Last Boss, but the 1CC's more than tricky enough without it) You also mentioned Recca; TD2 and Dangun share its speedkiller feeback loop, shred waves to spawn more waves.

Only caveat is, I can't recall if Dangun got an English release; its ShotTrigger menus are quite labyrinthine. But there's CloudyMusic's wonderful translation threads, and if you've got a smartphone, OCR translation is surprisingly good (I use it with ShotTriggers, plus older ACAs that lack EN menus, eg Gradius II).

Also, speaking of P Control, don't use autofire with TD2's Player 2 ship - it'll kill your boner! P2 shot is factory 30hz. Autofire does crank its missiles out faster, so it's still worth having manual and auto buttons.

Don't get hung up on 1ALLing them if you decide to pick 'em up, they're tough. ;3 Even making it 75% of the way should be a hearty undertaking.
Steven

Post by Steven »

I always control my P and you should too
BIL wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:38 pmOnly caveat is, I can't recall if Dangun got an English release
Pretty sure it did because LRG released a physical version of it.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Steven wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:52 pm
BIL wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:38 pmOnly caveat is, I can't recall if Dangun got an English release
Pretty sure it did because LRG released a physical version of it.
Ah cool. :cool:

EDIT: I adore how Teki Paki has become the Arcade Garage mascot, ala GameBoy Tetris. :mrgreen: Teki goes with everything. Image
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

Steven wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:13 am To be clear, I did still practice GG Aleste 3, but I practiced the game with kaiteki off, not on. I think I played it with kaiteki on a few times just to see how different it is (it is quite different due to being significantly faster and definitely more difficult with it on), but when I actually did my clear I didn't specifically prepare for it in advance or do any serious practice with the kaiteki mode turned on, and I hadn't played the game at all for several months.
Lemnear wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:44 am Hovewer which one of the Toaplan Garage comes with Teki-Paki?
All of them.

Actually Teki-Paki is the game that I have spent by far the most time with over the past two or three weeks. It's so damn good~
Thanks! it's a little confusing because the name "Wardner" also comes up.
Steven wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:13 am You can't escape it~
sounds like a warning...
BIL wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:38 pm
Lemnear wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:44 amI'm trying to find that selection and/or refine it.
BIL wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:38 pm Daioh might be a good pick, if you're going for 1ALLs. It's got a comfy bomb stock, and a generous ship - much moreso than the stern Raiden and Trigon - while remaining authentically Toaplanesque. Just keep your power and speed moderate until you've got some routes down, the Rank gets mean if maxed out. (consider exercising P Control Image Image)
Daioh bullets are sometimes too fast..i've seen a 1CC run...and towards the end the last boss shoots too fast...ridiculously fast!!! :shock:
BIL wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:38 pm It sounds like Thunder Dragon 2 (NMK) and Dangun Feveron (CAVE) might serve you well. Super-polished 90s gems fitting the oldsdchool profile you describe; an emphasis on macro vs Fast Aimed Shots™ over danmaku. Both have beautiful PS4 releases, from Hamster and M2 respectively. And - unlike GB2, UD, and Daioh, all of which have second loops - they're a compactly tough 1ALL apiece. (Dangun has a True Last Boss, but the 1CC's more than tricky enough without it) You also mentioned Recca; TD2 and Dangun share its speedkiller feeback loop, shred waves to spawn more waves.

Only caveat is, I can't recall if Dangun got an English release; its ShotTrigger menus are quite labyrinthine. But there's CloudyMusic's wonderful translation threads, and if you've got a smartphone, OCR translation is surprisingly good (I use it with ShotTriggers, plus older ACAs that lack EN menus, eg Gradius II).
For some reason i hate Dangun Feveron's BGM :oops: It makes me nervous...
Since you mentioned, i hate it when a game has a Rank System but there's no mention in the game about it..and the lack of a manual doesn't help.
Same for Score System. I mean i don't even know if what i play actually has a Rank System or not :?
BIL wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:38 pm Also, speaking of P Control, don't use autofire with TD2's Player 2 ship - it'll kill your boner! P2 shot is factory 30hz. Autofire does crank its missiles out faster, so it's still worth having manual and auto buttons.

Don't get hung up on 1ALLing them if you decide to pick 'em up, they're tough. ;3 Even making it 75% of the way should be a hearty undertaking.
I don't even know what P Control is...and i'm a bit scared to ask lmao...

Oh i've read "P2 Side" many times, what does it mean? There's a direct way to play as the second player, or should i use 2 pad and ignore the P1 ship?

PS: I'm always use 1 button for manual (or charge shot) and 1 for auto-fire :mrgreen:

I tried the first 2 stage of Mad Shark...but...why if i die, at the respawn point there's a yellow helicopter with 1 single power-up...but if i use a new Credit, the helicopter is green and it gives me FOUR power up? (this also happen the first time you meet the helicopter).
It's like it's designed to eat coins lol...your second try with the same credit is incredibly more punishing than the first with a new credit.

A shmups overload, every game, every platform, all at once.... :?:

PPS: Baraduke looks dangerous...i've played Xevious because was in Ridge Rager 7, and at first i didn't liked it...and i finished with something like 60min and i thought "but...when does it ends?" :lol: ...and i stopped.
Baraduke looks more captivating and if a "non-captivating" (at first) game like Xevious hooked me... i can't even imagine what will happen with Baraduke...
BIL

Post by BIL »

Lemnear wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:43 pmDaioh bullets are sometimes too fast..i've seen a 1CC run...and towards the end the last boss shoots too fast...ridiculously fast!!! :shock:
It's not as rough as it looks; you get tons of bombs. Also, you can dramatically lower the bullet speed by watching your Rank. It's not a trivial 1ALL, but it gives you plenty to work with.
Since you mentioned, i hate it when a game has a Rank System but there's no mention in the game about it..and the lack of a manual doesn't help.
Same for Score System. I mean i don't even know if what i play actually has a Rank System or not :?
I enjoy the mystery of it all. :mrgreen:

tbh, the internet's collective knowledge often makes dismantling these games trivial, compared to the long hours and expensive credits of BITD. Again, it's all about finding a balance you're happy with. I like to avoid strategy resources until I feel like I've hit a limit, then gradually use them to aid getting beyond that. Others are purely results-driven, and will jump straight in with superplay DVDs etc.

There's no right or wrong way to approach this stuff imo, as long as you're happy with it.
BIL wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:38 pmI don't even know what P Control is...and i'm a bit scared to ask lmao...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoH7n2RDS_M Image :wink:

Letting the flashing "P" icon escape the screen will drop the Rank, per absent friend saucykobold (2ALL). Grabbing it maxes out your shot and grants a 1HP shield, but maybe it's not worth it? I've only just hit the loop, hard to say personally. I recommend letting the first one you see escape, though. It's very possible to reach stage 6 with 8+ bombs, a nice cushion for the remainder.
Oh i've read "P2 Side" many times, what does it mean? There's a direct way to play as the second player, or should i use 2 pad and ignore the P1 ship?
Yeah, it just means playing as P2. Same as using the second controller in a console title. Lots of STGs have differences both subtle and major here, from altered movement speed, to outright different ships, as in TD2 and Ibara. Sometimes the difference is purely cosmetic, but even that can be a nice change.

At a real cab/supergun, you would ofc literally use the 2P side. ACA stuff tends to let you toggle between them via the Preference Options sub-menu. ACA Thunder Dragon 2, Raiden, Daioh, and a whole raft of others include this option.
PS: I'm always use 1 button for manual (or charge shot) and 1 for auto-fire :mrgreen:
Good idea. :cool: I like to have a [manual shot] button that's easily pressed while holding down [rapid shot]. That way, it's a snap to instantly go from shooting to charging and back. Detana Twinbee's the first game that comes to mind, but there's Last Resort, and of course the R-Types as well.
I tried the first 2 stage of Mad Shark...but...why if i die, at the respawn point there's a yellow helicopter with 1 single power-up...but if i use a new Credit, the helicopter is green and it gives me FOUR power up? (this also happen the first time you meet the helicopter).
It's like it's designed to eat coins lol...your second try with the same credit is incredibly more punishing than the first with a new credit.
Pretty standard practice; it's a "Continue Service," basically. See also SNK fighting games offering various bonuses if you continue, like lowering the CPU's health, or maxing out your meters. KOF99 comes to mind there.

"Play enough credits until you don't need the Continue Service anymore" is the manufacturers' endgame, here. Image :lol:
A shmups overload, every game, every platform, all at once.... :?:
Yeah, it's important to keep in mind that back when these games were current, you wouldn't have the sheer range of choice you do now. Even strictly limited to the PS4, it's very easy - actually, I'd say inevitable - to have more arcade titles than you could realistically master any time soon.

Not only that, but you wouldn't have practice options, savestates, etc back then. A single player can master these games a lot faster and more efficiently on console than he would've in an 80s/90s arcade, which naturally promoted a communal approach. JP game centers were known to have community notepads for players to share their tips; the massively popular Tower of Druaga was designed explicitly around this. Also, you can sell 'em CERTAIN VICTORY GUIDES for the really obscure stuff. Image

It's better to take your time. I realised long ago, this hobby was something I'd do until I fall off my chair, ala Michael Corleone in Godfather Part III; you like what you like, y'know? Image But keep in mind Mike had a full life, he didn't just 2ALL DaiOuJou all day! :o
PPS: Baraduke looks dangerous...i've played Xevious because was in Ridge Rager 7, and at first i didn't liked it...and i finished with something like 60min and i thought "but...when does it ends?" :lol: ...and i stopped.
Baraduke looks more captivating and if a "non-captivating" (at first) game like Xevious hooked me... i can't even imagine what will happen with Baraduke...
Baraduke is surprisingly progressive, overall, with massive guns, quick movement, and forgiving hitboxes; but its ethos is 100% hardcore seek/destroy. It's a great combination, see also Shock Troopers. :cool:
Lander

Post by Lander »

Lemnear wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:43 pm I tried the first 2 stage of Mad Shark...but...why if i die, at the respawn point there's a yellow helicopter with 1 single power-up...but if i use a new Credit, the helicopter is green and it gives me FOUR power up? (this also happen the first time you meet the helicopter).
Sounds like a slightly more abstracted version of the usual devil's bargain, where your last ship will drop a big, shiny, extremely desirable, max power pickup on death. Agency beyond your wildest dreams, for but one more coin :twisted: Disclaimer: Side effects may include loss of focus, frustration, despair, and anal fog. No refunds.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Lander wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:22 pmyour last ship will drop a big, shiny, extremely desirable, max power pickup on death. Agency beyond your wildest dreams, for but one more coin :twisted: Disclaimer: Side effects may include loss of focus, frustration, despair, and anal fog. No refunds.
Best accident ever Image Image
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Bassa-Bassa wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 6:32 pm Check also Daioh's Oyaji System for a complex and nasty rank feature previous to Garegga and even Darius Gaiden.

But I also disagree that rank is an achievement as there are many other better ways to add difficulty to your game than being dishonest with the player. Something that Treasure in particular can be proud of, by the way.
Oyaji System's now exposed with the latest patch for the Arcade Archives version of Daioh:

https://twitter.com/HAMSTER_Corp/status ... 34393318#m
BIL

Post by BIL »

Bassa-Bassa wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:20 pmOyaji System's now exposed with the latest patch for the Arcade Archives version of Daioh:

https://twitter.com/HAMSTER_Corp/status ... 34393318#m
I love these guys. ;w; Image
Warning don't do this IRL (`w´メ)
giga222

Post by giga222 »

Hi all,

Relatively new to shmups although I have about 30 hours in Ikaruga on PC using an arcade Sanwa setup.

Got Danmaku Unlimited 3 on Switch and absolutely love it, but I had a question - for Switch play do you recommend analog thumbstick stick or dpad? I bought a Switch Hori Split Pad with a proper dpad to play this, but sometimes I think the analog thumbstick is better. Is there a definite answer to this, or just whatever feels right?

Cheers
NuclearPotato

Post by NuclearPotato »

I think the truth of the matter is whatever feels most comfortable to you, and helps you perform the best, is what you should use at the end of the day. That being said, I'd assume most people on here, myself included, would rather use the D-pad on controller if possible; digital movement tends to be much more precise compared to analog, which makes all the difference in this genre.
giga222

Post by giga222 »

NuclearPotato wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:00 am I think the truth of the matter is whatever feels most comfortable to you, and helps you perform the best, is what you should use at the end of the day. That being said, I'd assume most people on here, myself included, would rather use the D-pad on controller if possible; digital movement tends to be much more precise compared to analog, which makes all the difference in this genre.
Thanks for the response - I was thinking the same - slight, precise and minimalistic movements seem to be favourable.
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

NuclearPotato wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:00 am I think the truth of the matter is whatever feels most comfortable to you, and helps you perform the best, is what you should use at the end of the day. That being said, I'd assume most people on here, myself included, would rather use the D-pad on controller if possible; digital movement tends to be much more precise compared to analog, which makes all the difference in this genre.
I use always both...D-Pad AND Analog Stick, depends on the type of movement i need at that moment, switching constantly.
Same for racing games and fighting games.
Lander

Post by Lander »

giga222 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:47 am Hi all,

Relatively new to shmups although I have about 30 hours in Ikaruga on PC using an arcade Sanwa setup.

Got Danmaku Unlimited 3 on Switch and absolutely love it, but I had a question - for Switch play do you recommend analog thumbstick stick or dpad? I bought a Switch Hori Split Pad with a proper dpad to play this, but sometimes I think the analog thumbstick is better. Is there a definite answer to this, or just whatever feels right?

Cheers
Going on hard ergonomic science, D-Pad / 8-Way Lever / Directional Buttons is the 'correct' choice for any game that doesn't give you true analog movement, since you're otherwise beholden to an arbitrary deadzone that your hands can't feel beyond the implicit tension of the stick spring.

Plus, most non-Nintendo analogs use circular restrictors, which give no point of reference for finding those all-important cardinal directions.

It's not necessarily an absolute rule, since there are some bloody awful D-Pads out there, but that's probably no concern on a Hori.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Curious since it's still available, is the Japanese SFC re-release of Cotton 100% a properly made 5V tolerant cartridge, or closer to a Columbus Circle hackjob?

Did they re-release Panorama Cotton on a cartridge as well? Though I don't personally have a way to play Japanese MD games on my Genesis.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Eyvah_Ehyeh

Post by Eyvah_Ehyeh »

Is there a thread for "upcoming shmups" somewhere? End of the year, curious to see what shmups released (for PC) this year, but don't really know where to turn, since I'm out of the loop and intend to be for a while, yet still want to see every once in a while if something new is released that I can play. :)
Nahar

Post by Nahar »

Eyvah_Ehyeh wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:29 pm Is there a thread for "upcoming shmups" somewhere? End of the year, curious to see what shmups released (for PC) this year, but don't really know where to turn, since I'm out of the loop and intend to be for a while, yet still want to see every once in a while if something new is released that I can play. :)
I tried to maintain one at the start of the year but man, what a year for shmups this was. I couldn't keep track of it and abandoned it on march.
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

What do you think are the SHMUPS with the most satisfying explosions ?
I really like the explosions in Aero Fighters 2 // Sonic Wings 2, the sprite, the sound, even killing zako groups is satisfying!
Is like if the game emphasizes every single enemy you kill, while many other SHMUPS instead are less "impactful" especially on zako/common enemies.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Tatsujin Ou has some amazingly glorious explosions.
Spoiler
too bad those explosions are part of what makes it one of the hardest games ever made lol
John4300

Post by John4300 »

Lemnear wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:42 pm What do you think are the SHMUPS with the most satisfying explosions ?
I really like the explosions in Aero Fighters 2 // Sonic Wings 2, the sprite, the sound, even killing zako groups is satisfying!
Is like if the game emphasizes every single enemy you kill, while many other SHMUPS instead are less "impactful" especially on zako/common enemies.
Raiden 2 is pretty crazy for it's time with the detail. Bigger explosions have a light flash, shock wave and rather detailed sprite, there is a lot of shrapnel flying out from explosions (and hits) and bigger explosions, your bombs and enemies hitting ground actually do damage to trees and buildings which is something you don't see in many games, it's all pretty satisfying to look at!
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

how is the emulation of NAMCO Museum Archives?
BIL

Post by BIL »

Lemnear wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 1:39 pm how is the emulation of NAMCO Museum Archives?
This one? I can vouch for the PS4 versions; they're superb, as expected of M2 (who developed both volumes). Very nice to have around, both as a current-gen option, and also for their original Famicom ports of Pac-Man Championsjp Edition and Gaplus (included in Volume 1 and Volume 2, respectively).

Performance seems identical to carts I own like Rolling Thunder, Dragon Spirit, and Dragon Slayer IV (aka Legacy of the Wizard; a lovely albeit uncompromising sidescrolling dungeoneer). Everything else responds just as sharply. Beyond button remap and savestates, they also feature rewind... which isn't my thing, personally, but it's worth noting. Happily, you can unbind the function entirely from your controller. (I hate it when you can't do that)

An obvious but nonetheless important note: these are collections of NES/Famicom ports only. I've seen some pick it up expecting the arcade versions, ala the classic PS1 Namco Museums. Stick to ACA for those. ;3
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Lemnear wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:42 pm What do you think are the SHMUPS with the most satisfying explosions ?
The answer is anything by G.Rev.

Strania, Border Down, Ikaruga, Gradius V, and Under Defeat.

Dear lord Under Defeat has the greatest pyrotechnics in a shmup.
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

BIL wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 3:21 pm This one? I can vouch for the PS4 versions; they're superb, as expected of M2 (who developed both volumes).
Me: :D
BIL wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 3:21 pm An obvious but nonetheless important note: these are collections of NES/Famicom ports only.
Me: :? :cry: bleah...
Stevens wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:32 pm
The answer is anything by G.Rev.

Strania, Border Down, Ikaruga, Gradius V, and Under Defeat.

Dear lord Under Defeat has the greatest pyrotechnics in a shmup.
Oh yes!

BTW, trying (emu) some other SHMUPS that are not accessible on any platform OR games from forgotten developers owned by Hamster Corp (priority).

Air Buster (1990): looks surprisingly good! Aestethics, gameplay, tryed only the Stage 1. I want it in Arcade Archives...

Air Duel (1990): I like the faded color palette, is unusual but...the game is slighty unfair, bullets are fast and i think that i've never played with a slower ship/plane/heli than this :\ (Defeated in: Stage 3). Waiting for the IREM Collection Volume 2.

Daioh (1993): surprised by the background details, i mean, who the hell are Athena? The game plays nice, and i like that during boss-fight the checkpoint is disabled. Surprised by how much "danmaku" it is. Was it released before or after Batsugun? (Stage 1).

P-47: The Phantom Fighter (1988): Looks like an Amiga Euro-SHMUPS, with no real background and even zero visual feedback on enemies hit...BUT it plays absolutely fabolous, above any of my expectation. And i think is a good teacher for terrain enemies, the BGM aren't so bad for a "budget" game. (for some reason continued untill Stage 5).

Thunder Dragon (1991): The explotions and some aestethic choices are cool (the heli-ship is awesome), strange that some weapons have an integrated auto-fire. Elite enemies are a bit repetitive and the white-grayish bullets are intentionally designed to "not be noticed". I mean grey is a color that usually doesn't catch your attention... :x (Stage 2). i noticed some "early-danmaku" patterns there too.

Raiden (1990): graphically impressive for a 1990 game...the background is alive, there's even the shadow of your ship! Gameplay is nice and not so hard as i thought (Clear: Stage 1).

Mad Shark (1993): a clone of Raiden, with a colorful palette, less background details, and (for me at least) works slighty better than Raiden. (Defeated at the end of Stage 3).

US-AAF Mustang (1990): moooore refined than P47, nice BGM, but again...white-grayish bullets :\ (Stage 1).

Zed Blade (1994): looks like a raw version of an Aicom/Yumekobo game with a lot of bad design choice (too much "cubes" and sprite repetition). Nice the weapon system...the 3 characters are totally silly... and the music is ...better than expected but a little unsuitable for a not-so-polished game. (Stage 2).

Extra Trial - Fire Shark (1989): Toaplan still makes you use ALL the bullets that you fire from any 3-Way // Spread-Shot you have, with wise enemy placement (or is just my impression?). Again, is visible that they knows what they do (Stage 1).
Last edited by Lemnear on Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.