Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
CloudyMusic

Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread

Post by CloudyMusic »

CStarFlare wrote:Are these people declining, or just failing to meet the loop requirements?
The high-score thread has a number of people that (claim to) have explicitly declined.
hail good sir

Post by hail good sir »

combination
Last edited by hail good sir on Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
z0mbie90

Post by z0mbie90 »

I just bought Dodonpachi Resurrection, and enjoying it so far, but have a question, whats the changes in Black Label?.
When I bought the game I also got some MS points so I could buy Strania and other XBLA games. And I didn't get enought MS points, so my question is this.
Is DDP DFK Black Label super different then the other modes or do you think I can wait with it and buy some other games for the MS poins instead :D
More shopping advice then a stg question, but still :D
nZero

Post by nZero »

z0mbie90 wrote:I just bought Dodonpachi Resurrection, and enjoying it so far, but have a question, whats the changes in Black Label?.
When I bought the game I also got some MS points so I could buy Strania and other XBLA games. And I didn't get enought MS points, so my question is this.
Is DDP DFK Black Label super different then the other modes or do you think I can wait with it and buy some other games for the MS poins instead :D
More shopping advice then a stg question, but still :D
It plays pretty differently from DFK but the points are still better spent on Strania imo

The best part of the Black Label DLC was being able to use the Black Label soundtrack to play DFK Arrange A with.
Erppo

Post by Erppo »

z0mbie90 wrote:I just bought Dodonpachi Resurrection, and enjoying it so far, but have a question, whats the changes in Black Label?
Main changes are the rank bar system that mixes the patterns up somewhat, having everything bigger than popcorn cancel their bullets on death, and shifting the scoring focus to canceling stuff with the hypers. So yeah, it plays pretty differently.
z0mbie90

Post by z0mbie90 »

Okey, well then I can wait then maybe, got another question then to.
Radiant Silvergun on XBLA. good port?. I haven't played the game at all, but are intressted in getting it.
If not maybe getting Strania + DLC and DFK Black Label :D I'm so bad at desicde things. Radiant Silvergun seems fun, but also quite slow!
So if I like most of the STGs all from Raiden and old Toaplan to Crimzon Clover and Ketsui, will I enjoy RS or is it hard to get in, I have heard alot about it being like a puzzle game.

Sorry for all the strange questions, but I hate making decisions :oops:
AZA

Post by AZA »

Another radiant silvergun question: what are all the secret options and how do you unlock each one? I only have the Saturn version.
keito940

How is a sound given to Fire Shark?

Post by keito940 »

Please reply it as soon as possible.
As for the trace, the game of other Toaplan2.
KitesAreFun

Post by KitesAreFun »

No questions here, but I have a few links that might be interesting to some readers.

First we have the mega-awesome-website-by-one-dude:
www.gwern.net

But in particular two articles stand out that deal with learning and working memory complete with footnotes to more and more reading:
http://www.gwern.net/Spaced%20repetition
http://www.gwern.net/DNB%20FAQ

(might be helpful for some shmuppers)
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Thunder Cross (and TC2) - Konami

How do you change the distance of your options from the ship? Or is that only the sequel?

MAME in general

Say you want to put autofire in a game that has a specialized function for holding down the shot button (e.g. Grid Seeker, any Psikyo game)

Is there a way you can set it up so that a third button is the autofire, but you still can use the normal shot button as it is intended? I haven't been able to figure out an agreeable solution.
Last edited by EmperorIng on Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
saucykobold

Post by saucykobold »

EmperorIng wrote:Say you want to put autofire in a game that has a specialized function for holding down the shot button (e.g. Grid Seeker, any Psikyo game)

Is there a way you can set it up so that a third button is the autofire, but you still can use the normal shot button as it is intended?
You'll need an emu that supports custom buttons--Mameplus, Wolfmame, or Shmupmame.

Boot up the game and go to Input (this game). Set P1 Button 1 to whatever you want. This'll be your auto shot. Then set P1 Custom 1 to a different button. You'll use this for the charge attack. Leave that menu and go to Custom Buttons. For P1 Custom 1, press 1 on your keyboard. Lastly, navigate to Autofire Setting. Turn P1 Button 1 on and choose a good delay rate; leave P1 Custom 1 off.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

EmperorIng wrote:Thunder Cross (and TC2) - Konami

How do you change the distance of your options from the ship? Or is that only the sequel?
Just hold the B button.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

EmperorIng wrote:Thunder Cross (and TC2) - Konami

Button 2 as Ghehgs said. Note that the american version of the game was butchered, took out that ability, and took out all 3 weapons and the super weapon system. Play the Japanese version.

Thunder Cross 2 is good fun though, you should play that also anyway.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Thanks for the replies everyone.I was playing the American rom, because of my insane desire of playing shmups in my native tongue. :evil:

@saucykobold:
thanks for the help - it worked like a charm.
rCadeGaming

Post by rCadeGaming »

What are all the differences between Nexzr and Nexzr Special?

Ok, so I know that special adds the timed summer carnival modes, and it's missing the cinemas from vanilla. Is that all that special is missing? Does it still have the full non-timed original game mode from vanilla, just without the cinemas?
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

Yes, Nexzr Special still has the arcade mode from the original.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

rCadeGaming wrote:What are all the differences between Nexzr and Nexzr Special?

Ok, so I know that special adds the timed summer carnival modes, and it's missing the cinemas from vanilla. Is that all that special is missing? Does it still have the full non-timed original game mode from vanilla, just without the cinemas?
Buy the vanilla, if only for the orgasmic cover art.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

rCadeGaming

Post by rCadeGaming »

Thanks. Any other differences besides missing the cinemas?
Arcatech

Post by Arcatech »

Does anybody have a favorite Galaxian hack on Mame?

Galaxian is fun to a point but the ship is slow. Just wondering if any of the hacks are more enjoyable then the original.
604_degrees

Post by 604_degrees »

I've just recalled some very warm shmup experience that I had in the arcade when I was a kid. The reason I'm posting it is (of course) that I couldn't remember the game's title at all, nor could I test every single MAME shmup right now to find it.

The only thing I remember is the attract mode displaying some VTOL aircraft which looks much like the Harrier Jet taking off from the forest in a clouds of arcade leaves :) So I would be really thankful I somebody know what I'm talking about!
rCadeGaming

Post by rCadeGaming »

Sounds really familiar from MAME, but I can't think of a title, sorry...
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

604_degrees wrote:The only thing I remember is the attract mode displaying some VTOL aircraft which looks much like the Harrier Jet taking off from the forest in a clouds of arcade leaves :) So I would be really thankful I somebody know what I'm talking about!
Was it a hori, a vert...? Did it have bombs, what was the first stage like...? If you could remember some gameplay that'd probably help. I don't watch attract modes much, but off the top of my head games I can think of with that style of jet:

Air Gallet

Carrier Air Wing

Strikers 1945 III/1999

Vapor Trail
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

604_degrees wrote:The only thing I remember is the attract mode displaying some VTOL aircraft which looks much like the Harrier Jet taking off from the forest in a clouds of arcade leaves
Aero Fighters.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
604_degrees

Post by 604_degrees »

Mortificator wrote:Aero Fighters.
That's it! Thank you so much :)

BareknuckleRoo

Whoa! Air Gallet is so cool, thank you for showing me this gem. Also, the funniest thing that it appears that Air Gallet and Aero Fighters melted together in my mind somehow, probably it was two cabinets in that arcade, so it's combo :)

Awesome, God bless you, guys!
KAI

Post by KAI »

What's the difference between Nexyr and Nexyr Special?
BIL

Post by BIL »

Nexzr Special lacks cutscenes but adds a caravan mode, so that's the one you want.
rCadeGaming wrote:Thanks. Any other differences besides missing the cinemas?
Nope. Well, regular Nexzr has cooler coverart, as Skykid said, but that's it.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Speaking of VTOL takeoffs, are there any videos showing the Raiden II arcade attract mode with the takeoff sequence? I was looking for one a few days ago and couldn't find it anywhere.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

Jeneki wrote:Speaking of VTOL takeoffs, are there any videos showing the Raiden II arcade attract mode with the takeoff sequence? I was looking for one a few days ago and couldn't find it anywhere.
Found this one after a quick search: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dqPu-jzvE0
rCadeGaming

Post by rCadeGaming »

Thanks. I'll take game modes over cinemas and cover art.
604_degrees

Post by 604_degrees »

Could anyone please tell me the what the size of the Sega HSS-0130 Virtua Stick Pro printed overlay? It comes with only three of them and I wanted to design and print some more, but I'm not at my place now and can't measure it. Also, googled myself to dust, but it's useless. Thanks ahead.