Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Lemnear

Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread

Post by Lemnear »

velo wrote:
Lemnear wrote:-Near to 1CC Gleylancer, totally (max at Hard, not in Maniac Mode).
-Then trying to 1CC Strikers 1945 II at Child difficulty (already done in Monkey :oops: )
-Training with the infinitely long DariusBurst.

So what's the next step? Maybe the SHMUPS in both the Capcom Arcade Stadium...
But , there's not a complete list of game difficulty completion (or 1CC) , lots of games are missing...
Lemnear wrote: EDIT: for DariusBurst, what is the 1CC run? every route in AC/EX ??? or?
In Darius a 1cc on any route "counts". I'm very underqualified to rank all those Capcom shmups by difficulty but iirc the Japanese difficulty has 1943 (with the shotgun) ranked pretty easy. There's something up with the difficulty in the Stadium version of Progear where the default difficulty on the US version is set too high. Playing what really captures your interest is always the best advice though.
WTH i played only that version without changing anything... :shock:
velo wrote:Playing what really captures your interest is always the best advice though.
Yeh, this is my selection method :lol: (or stuff that is notoriously important)
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

I feel like I ask some variant of this question every 3 years because I always fucking lose this game. But I really need to know if any of you has this super old doujin STG that was called Soil: The True Blue.
I used to play it on my old Vista machine in 8th grade but that was the only time in my life I ever had it working (sans sfx). And eventually I just lost it. But I think about that game sometimes.

There's one 8 year old, kinda shit video on YouTube of it and that's it. I'm in the mood for that crusty doujin vibe.
Lander

Post by Lander »

XoPachi wrote:I feel like I ask some variant of this question every 3 years because I always fucking lose this game. But I really need to know if any of you has this super old doujin STG that was called Soil: The True Blue.
I used to play it on my old Vista machine in 8th grade but that was the only time in my life I ever had it working (sans sfx). And eventually I just lost it. But I think about that game sometimes.

There's one 8 year old, kinda shit video on YouTube of it and that's it. I'm in the mood for that crusty doujin vibe.
Here you go. Tested and working in a tiny postage stamp window with no sound on my machine - good luck!

Hosted courtsey of sk8tokyo, which seems to have shuttered its skateboard business in favour of under-the-table doujin preservation services :)
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Lander wrote:Tested and working in a tiny postage stamp window with no sound on my machine - good luck!
Tried on my laptop and the sound works but a strip at the bottom of the playfield is completely blacked out; playable, but unfortunately hobbled.
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

The sounds don't work because the RAR has mojibake'd the file names.
Runs perfectly with dgVoodoo otherwise.
Edit: Original zip with working sound is on archive.org.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

You guys are great! It plays surprisingly fine with dgvoodoo, The only sound that played was when I picked up the EMP in stage 1 and I no longer had ears when I heard it.
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

Is there a resource documenting all the different flavors of Forgotten Worlds? I've seen a lot of internet assertions that I'm not finding backed up in any of the versions I have available to me. Things I'm curious about:
1. Edward's 1CC Blog Post says that the OG JP version, Lost Worlds, is a one-hit kill affair, which seems completely insane.
2. I've heard tell of a variant that starts you with NO satellite (also dumb).
3. The items available in the store and their costs seem to vary from version to version. For example, this site has the napalm at 3000 but in the version I'm playing it's 5000.

Side note: I am revisiting this classic on MiSTer with a push/pull rotary knob and it is amazing but also a recipe for repetitive stress injury!
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

I'm heading to Osaka soon for a short vacation. I've a number of games I want to sell, but having difficulty doing so here in Korea. My question - how are the shops in Japan at buying second hand games? Are they bad like Gamestop where it's not even worth your while, or can you get a fairly decent return?

Selling PS4 games like R Type Dimensions (SLG), Kohime Enbu (LRG), Vasara Collection (SLG), Ketsui PS3 among others.

Thanks for your time.
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
Steven

Post by Steven »

It's not a complete waste, but you're still probably guaranteed to get significantly lower prices than you would if you sold them to another person instead of to a store.

If you can find a Trader, maybe they'll take used foreign games. Trader's main store in Akiba has a very large and actually very good selection of new imported Switch and PS4 games on 2F for some reason. Well, "good" if you care about mainstream shit, anyway.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Steven wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 6:37 am It's not a complete waste, but you're still probably guaranteed to get significantly lower prices than you would if you sold them to another person instead of to a store.

If you can find a Trader, maybe they'll take used foreign games. Trader's main store in Akiba has a very large and actually very good selection of new imported Switch and PS4 games on 2F for some reason. Well, "good" if you care about mainstream shit, anyway.
Thank you Steven, that's very helpful and much appreciated.
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Steven

Post by Steven »

BurlyHeart wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 6:46 am
Steven wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 6:37 am It's not a complete waste, but you're still probably guaranteed to get significantly lower prices than you would if you sold them to another person instead of to a store.

Thank you Steven, that's very helpful and much appreciated.
Yeah, sure. I don't know if Trader actually exists in Osaka, but if you are going to come to Tokyo as well, that's probably where I'd go first. If you do, let me know and I might be able to help you out. 2 or 3 years ago I would have bought R-Type Dimensions from you without question myself, but I've gone back to buying stuff on PC when possible.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Steven wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 7:37 am Yeah, sure. I don't know if Trader actually exists in Osaka, but if you are going to come to Tokyo as well, that's probably where I'd go first. If you do, let me know and I might be able to help you out. 2 or 3 years ago I would have bought R-Type Dimensions from you without question myself,
That's very kind of you. I appreciate the offer, but I'll only be in the Osaka and Kyoto areas. Traveling with the wife, so while some game/guitar stuff will be allowed, it shan't be the sole focus of the trip.
Steven wrote: but I've gone back to buying stuff on PC when possible.
Same, hence why I'm trying to sell most of my games. On the fence about whether to keep the M2 stuff or sell it and buy digital.
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Is game logic invariably tied to frame rate? I'd always assumed it just kind of did its own thing in the background, but I was reading an interview with Merkules (Destiny 2 chief weapon designer) where he was talking about how 30 fps machines mean TTK values happen at set increments which limit how they can tweak things compared to faster machines. It occurred to me this might well apply to shmups as well, which run at all sorts of weird frame rates like 57 fps or whatever.
BurlyHeart wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:12 amI'm trying to sell most of my games.
Not that I don't understand where you're coming from, but this is one of those moves that just about anyone who cares about games eventually ends up regretting having made.
Lander

Post by Lander »

Sengoku Strider wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:22 pm Is game logic invariably tied to frame rate? I'd always assumed it just kind of did its own thing in the background, but I was reading an interview with Merkules (Destiny 2 chief weapon designer) where he was talking about how 30 fps machines mean TTK values happen at set increments which limit how they can tweak things compared to faster machines. It occurred to me this might well apply to shmups as well, which run at all sorts of weird frame rates like 57 fps or whatever.
Not at all. As a rule, the render loop - whose timing is dictated by the graphics backend and display hardware - is the lowest-common-denominator for executing logic in any given game, since you always need to draw stuff, but there are many ways to run logic loops on their own independent timing. Though there are a lot of variables like system architecture (hardware-asynchronous PCB, single-core CPU, multicore CPU), graphics architecture (software blitter, memory-sharing GPU, dedicated GPU), and type of game (lightweight 2D STG vs heavy 3D physics simulation, local or networked, etc) that affect the shape of a given implementation.

At baseline, a CPU is capable of looping thousands upon thousands of times faster than the 60Hz we're used to from games; when it comes to driving a simulation, it spins as fast as it can (or as fast as the tightest loop it wants to run) while checking how long it's been since the last frame, and runs some logic when a given interval is exceeded. So even on a strictly monothreaded system, you can have as many of those intervals as you like all being checked at once (i.e. 60Hz for drawing, 120Hz for game sim, 30Hz for physics, 300Hz for input polling, 15Hz for the novelty game of Pong driving a background element, whatever you can think of) and they'll appear to run 'in the background' or 'in parallel', but in reality are being done serially - just so fast that a human observer can't tell that they're interleaved until something takes too long and causes slowdown or stutter.

PCB / multicore / GPU architecture swap that out for true parallelism (i.e. actually running things in the background because they're being calculated by a separate piece of hardware) to alleviate hangs when too many things are vying for CPU time, requiring designed-in sync points so everything is ready when the time comes to present a frame, but ultimately drive the same idea.

In Destiny's case, there's probably some heady mix of minimum spec, networking, server costs, and legacy tech that mean constraining their design more rigidly. Rendering at 30 doesn't preclude you from handling network updates or local sim ticks at 60 or 120, but bean counters, last-gen machines, and a creaky engine might.

As for STGs, you tend to see game logic running on the render tick because that's what the state of software engineering was at the time, and the genre has largely stuck to it as a status quo since then. There are positives - design simplicity, elegant slowndown instead of dropped frames - but it's an outdated practice as far as the tech goes, can't scale to higher-framerate monitors, and may indeed cause issues if running at an odd Hz relative to the display; Cho Ren Sha on Windows does exactly that, and is ~10% faster as a result.
The right way is to use that 'time since last frame' value to modulate movement speeds - that way you can run it as fast or slow as you like, get Matrix-like time dilation for free, and not have to waste countless hours going back in to divide everything by 2 like the poor Hyper Light Drifter devs did with their now-outdated 60FPS patch :oops:
BIL

Post by BIL »

^ Superb post, cheers for that! Elucidated some things I'd dimly suspected, like the serial vs parallelism thing. Lately I've been reading a lot of Japanese arcade commentary, and I found the common google translation for slowdown - "processing failure" - charming, especially when used as a positive (PS2 DaiOuJou, "a transplant revered for its accurate processing failure reproduction" Image Image).
Lander

Post by Lander »

Always happy to share technical know-how - this iteration may be closer to Street Academic, but I'm sure there's a Professor Lander ruminating over a pipe in some other timeline :)

Rather interestingly, cutting-edge game engine architecture is swinging back to PCB-ish principles now we have more CPU cores than sense; those discrete loops are becoming a first-class building block that can be punted off for processing wherever so long as the data they want is ready, forming a maximally-parallel virtual circuit of sorts that starts at input / timers / events and terminates at the GPU.

And n'aww, Processing Failure. There's something deeply Japanese about that - beleaguered salaryman 68k-san doing his best, but coming up just shy (⇀‸↼‵‵)

Though there's something intuitive about it in the face of the Halting Problem - did the machine Halt and Catch Fire, or is it just thinking really hard? Unplug immediately, or leave it a minute? Bloody computers :?
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

BurlyHeart wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 5:53 am I'm heading to Osaka soon for a short vacation. I've a number of games I want to sell, but having difficulty doing so here in Korea. My question - how are the shops in Japan at buying second hand games? Are they bad like Gamestop where it's not even worth your while, or can you get a fairly decent return?

Selling PS4 games like R Type Dimensions (SLG), Kohime Enbu (LRG), Vasara Collection (SLG), Ketsui PS3 among others.

Thanks for your time.
Not sure if you'll see this in time, but I was just in Osaka (and Tokyo) about a month ago for a vacation of my own and might be able to provide some useful info in addition to what Steven already offered.

I found Osaka a bit disappointing for gaming, tbh. I was staying in the Namba area right near Nipponbashi/Den Den Town, which is probably the best area of town for gaming stuff, and walking distance from other prime entertainment and eating in Osaka (just S of the Dotonburi area). I had heard people say that you may be able to find game stuff there that is less picked through and for a lower cost than in Tokyo/Akihabara. I did not find that to be the case. Much more limited selection, not really much in the way of especially great deals, didn't see any great arcades anywhere close to some of the still excellent Tokyo game centers. While I have zero experience with how much stores there will pay you for games, perhaps some of these notes will be of some use to you!

* I don't think Trader has any Osaka stores, but yeah that's a good suggestion from Steven as a good second hand shop if you're ever in Tokyo.

* Probably the most interesting used game store I saw in Osaka was Retro TV Game Revival, a small shop toward the S end of the Den Den Town main strip (shortly before you hit the Shinsekai district). Particularly nice soundtrack selection. The might be worth checking to see their buying prices?

* There is a fairly large Book Off just N of Namba Station, which might be one of your better options for selling games. Not sure if they give decent prices, but this store seems to be one of the Osaka locations with the most game stuff.

* There's a Super Potato in Den Den Town (one of a few stores in the Osaka area), but I was unimpressed. Even more expensive than the Tokyo locations that have a reputation for being pricey and attracting tourists (although I actually got pretty good prices on excellent condition copies of both of the PS1 Time Bokan shooters this past trip to the Akihabara store), and I thought the selection was worse than Tokyo (Akihabara and Ikebukuro stores). I really don't know, but maybe their high selling prices means they might offer better prices to buy your stuff? Perhaps worth checking.

* Surugaya is in Osaka. Maybe I just didn't find the right location, but the one I went into was much more anime/manga/figures focused than games. That's also the case with some of their Tokyo locations, so I certainly could have missed something and it might still be worth looking at whether they buy games for decent prices - but YMMV.

* If you're interested in any new release stuff, the huge Bic Camera store near Namba Station had a very good game selection. I picked up Trouble Witches Final PS4 there a few days after its release, and I was having a hard time finding it elsewhere.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

hamfighterx wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 2:46 am Much goodness
This is a wonderful and very helpful post. Thank you so much for taking the time to write all that.
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Steven

Post by Steven »

Yeah, I can't really help with Osaka. I went there once for a few hours to see BUMP OF CHICKEN and then I immediately went back to Tokyo. Tokyo and Okinawa I can do, but that's about it.

Surugaya is one of the better old game stores, so I'd try there. There is a Surugaya in Akiba that is specifically dedicated to old games (the one quite literally next to BEEP), but their locations elsewhere are probably going to be different.

While I'm here, is PC Dragon Blaze okay? Every time I see the dreaded words CITY CONNECTION as the developer or publisher, I automatically become extremely hesitant. I found a PCB in a local store, but I'm not sure if I want to spend 75,000 yen on it, especially since I've never played it.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

Ok WHAT is the purpose of the DonPachi Corps? Do they actually protect anything or fight for a nation? Have they ever thwarted any actual Earth threatening entities? It seems like theyre just...punching themselves most of the time. Or showing off.
Lander

Post by Lander »

Can't defend againat a theoretical overwhelming force if you don't have one of your own - one sword keeps another in the sheath, as they say.

At least, that's how I imagine they spin it for the public in the pachiverse. Behind closed doors it's probably just Longhena building out the military-industrial complex so he can bang together increasingly expensive action figures.

Though the DDP2 baddies were framed as mechanical aliens, maybe that counts?
sky-13

Post by sky-13 »

This question definitely doesn’t need it’s own thread and is seemingly even a bit odd.

I recently purchased some Cave kit box protectors from save your games and while I like them I can’t seem to get them to stay in a rectangular shape. They just want to fold back to flat.

Any tips are welcome.

Thanks!
WARNING: no refuge
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

In Sol Cresta, can you erase the high score table?
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

In Gley Lancer, if Lucia Cabrock is 16-years-old by the events of the story (February 2025) what year do you suppose she was born?
Starfighter

Post by Starfighter »

How come there isn't a thread about Shmup Slam 6? I just found out it starts later today! :D
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

xxx1993 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:22 pm In Gley Lancer, if Lucia Cabrock is 16-years-old by the events of the story (February 2025) what year do you suppose she was born?
For a 1992 videogame they were optimist to imagine the 2025 :lol:
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Lemnear wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 11:44 am
xxx1993 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:22 pm In Gley Lancer, if Lucia Cabrock is 16-years-old by the events of the story (February 2025) what year do you suppose she was born?
For a 1992 videogame they were optimist to imagine the 2025 :lol:
I just know the game is set in 2025. I just want to know when Lucia was born before the events of the game. What year, to be specific.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Lucia is 19.

Unrelated, but a while ago I said this
Steven wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:09 am Anyone ever seen 360 Saidaioujou crash/freeze? I did something stupid on stage 2 and pressed exit, and then when the screen turned black it froze and now I'm sitting here staring at it. How odd! The Xbox button does nothing and I opened and closed the disc tray and nothing happened. Not choice but to power cycle, it seems.
It just crashed on me again after I did exactly the same thing. I guess you can't fuck up on stage 2 and then hit exit because the game might tell you to go to hell by crashing.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

19? Didn’t I hear she was 16, though?
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Lander wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:57 pmNot at all. As a rule, the render loop - whose timing is dictated by the graphics backend and display hardware - is the lowest-common-denominator for executing logic in any given game, since you always need to draw stuff, but there are many ways to run logic loops on their own independent timing. Though there are a lot of variables like system architecture (hardware-asynchronous PCB, single-core CPU, multicore CPU), graphics architecture (software blitter, memory-sharing GPU, dedicated GPU), and type of game (lightweight 2D STG vs heavy 3D physics simulation, local or networked, etc) that affect the shape of a given implementation.

At baseline, a CPU is capable of looping thousands upon thousands of times faster than the 60Hz we're used to from games; when it comes to driving a simulation, it spins as fast as it can (or as fast as the tightest loop it wants to run) while checking how long it's been since the last frame, and runs some logic when a given interval is exceeded. So even on a strictly monothreaded system, you can have as many of those intervals as you like all being checked at once (i.e. 60Hz for drawing, 120Hz for game sim, 30Hz for physics, 300Hz for input polling, 15Hz for the novelty game of Pong driving a background element, whatever you can think of) and they'll appear to run 'in the background' or 'in parallel', but in reality are being done serially - just so fast that a human observer can't tell that they're interleaved until something takes too long and causes slowdown or stutter.

As for STGs, you tend to see game logic running on the render tick because that's what the state of software engineering was at the time, and the genre has largely stuck to it as a status quo since then. There are positives - design simplicity, elegant slowndown instead of dropped frames - but it's an outdated practice as far as the tech goes, can't scale to higher-framerate monitors, and may indeed cause issues if running at an odd Hz relative to the display; Cho Ren Sha on Windows does exactly that, and is ~10% faster as a result.
The right way is to use that 'time since last frame' value to modulate movement speeds - that way you can run it as fast or slow as you like, get Matrix-like time dilation for free, and not have to waste countless hours going back in to divide everything by 2 like the poor Hyper Light Drifter devs did with their now-outdated 60FPS patch :oops:
Thanks for the detailed response, sorry I missed it until now. This was essentially what I thought in broad strokes, which is why the initial dev statement threw me off. Your point about older hardware/programming technique also makes plenty of sense, especially with 80s hardware that only had single or double digit KB of RAM and slower single-thread processors.