Re: Hi Sho Zame (Flying/Sky Shark)

Post by Steven »

Arcade - Hishouzame
Steven - 1,934,400 - 337 - Yes - PCB
Spoiler
NuclearPotato

Post by NuclearPotato »

NuclearPotato - 474,460 - 69 - Yes - MAME 0.239 (Flying Shark)
https://i.imgur.com/Cr3KWSW.png

Got back to this after stalling out on motivation for a while; I fully admit I'm just posting the PB score now because of funny number in the rounds :P
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Had NES Sky Shark since I was a kid and just wanted to prove I could clear a loop. Only saw one other person post the NES version so it seems I really need to try the arcade version at some point. The hitboxes probably aren't a mile wide on that version lol.

PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Steven

Post by Steven »

bobrocks95 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:37 pm Had NES Sky Shark since I was a kid and just wanted to prove I could clear a loop. Only saw one other person post the NES version so it seems I really need to try the arcade version at some point. The hitboxes probably aren't a mile wide on that version lol.
The NES version is completely awful while the arcade version is one of the best, most important, and most influential STGs ever made.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Arcade - Hi Sho Zame
Despatche - 775,140 - 143 - Yes - MAME v0.261

After 10000 years I'm free. Put in a random credit today and this happened. Firsssss tryyyyy. Will try for 1M.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
DMC

Post by DMC »

Arcade - Hi Sho Zame
DMC - 687,240 - 143 - Yes - Switch

Area 143 is dirty, very dirty.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Recovering in that part after the first loop is kind of dumb. On loop 3 the turrets there will kill you very quickly upon respawning at that checkpoint, so try not to die there. Best thing to do is to bomb the turrets. Pretty sure that I would consider that to be the single most difficult section of the entire game starting on the second loop.
Nguyen VinhLOC

Post by Nguyen VinhLOC »

Updated runs, Coming back after 5 years of COVID-19:

ShmupsMAME (PC) - Flying Shark

Vinh Loc - 955,980 - 165 - Hybrid Autofire

Very proud the first Vietnamese to 1-ALL an arcade game

video link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9r-CQzDFco

Last edited by Nguyen VinhLOC on Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nguyen VinhLOC

Post by Nguyen VinhLOC »

here is video of me live playing this game at Hobby Horizon Festival in Ho Chi Minh City on 5th November 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdLHrLcLwBU
DMC

Post by DMC »

Nguyen VinhLOC wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:29 am video link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9r-CQzDFco
Welcome to the forum! Great run, nice little "yes!" utterances by the end of loop 1. :D Will you be going for a 2-loop clear as well?
Steven

Post by Steven »

This game is beautiful. Play it~

I should follow my own advice. I'd really like to get at least 2 million.
Nguyen VinhLOC

Post by Nguyen VinhLOC »

DMC wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:17 am
Nguyen VinhLOC wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:29 am video link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9r-CQzDFco
Welcome to the forum! Great run, nice little "yes!" utterances by the end of loop 1. :D Will you be going for a 2-loop clear as well?
Actually i have been here before 2018, and i decided to went on hiatus during Covid season to practice shmups, i might not going for 2-all this game but i will going for 1 loop clear the sequel Fire shark
Steven

Post by Steven »

Nguyen VinhLOC wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:32 ami might not going for 2-all this game but i will going for 1 loop clear the sequel Fire shark
Fire Shark is pretty easy as far as Toaplan games go, although I still haven't cleared it on 1P side for some reason, just 2P side, which is moderately easier than 1P side. I'll get around to the 1P side clear eventually.
Steven

Post by Steven »

So much for getting 2 million.

Arcade - Hishouzame
Steven - 3,260,980 - 571 - No - PCB
Spoiler
Nguyen VinhLOC

Post by Nguyen VinhLOC »

Playing this just for fun but i also got my score updated

Arcade - Flying Shark
Vinh Loc - 1.009.580 - area 166 - hybrid autofire - Mame4droid (2024 ver)
Still can't get passed stage 2-4: www.instagram.com/p/C4yVVh2I0mV/
Nguyen VinhLOC

Post by Nguyen VinhLOC »

This was supposed to be a 2-ALL when i was no-missing up to after the two big train at stage 2-4 and got about 10-11 lives, then i got checkpoint warp jump straight to the end of 2-4 at my first death, i still thought i could be able to pull if off. But since i didn't prepare for anything in the high loops, chain death happened. Neverthless i sill have my new record

Arcade - Flying shark
Vinh Loc - 1,025,080 - 171 - hybrid autofire - mame4droid 2024 ver

Anyway i'm stll happy with what i've done without needed to go training at that section (due to not making a save state at that point), why? It's because from now on, Flying Shark to me is now an amusement game, because i can now just play it at anytime, anywhere without bothering to cheat of any kind. Now maybe i will have to train that checkpoint again

Nguyen VinhLOC

Post by Nguyen VinhLOC »

Finally get passed that section, but still can't managed to 2-ALL

Arcade - Flying Shark
Vinh Loc - 1,127,580 - 178 - hybrid autofire - mame4droid 2024 ver

I'm also getting the sequel Fire Shark to work from now on, after watching a lot of Kuuya-san livestream.

ryu

Post by ryu »

Congrats on the 1 million. :) People say this one's easy but I was despairing a lot until I had a miracle run today

Hishouzame
mar!!! - 447,930 - 85 - ON - PS4

So close :? I even hit the bomb button when I knew it was going to be tight. Of course, that was a few frames too late in this game.
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Nguyen VinhLOC

Post by Nguyen VinhLOC »

ryu wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:49 pm Congrats on the 1 million. :) People say this one's easy but I was despairing a lot until I had a miracle run today

Hishouzame
mar!!! - 447,930 - 85 - ON - PS4
I mean is not "that" easy but the point is the recovery is somewhat manageable, unlike the sequel Fire shark where the recovery is so damn annoying
ryu

Post by ryu »

True. Though some recoveries are still not much fun at all and stage 5 is insane without a high level shot.

Almost got the 1-all

Hishouzame
mar!!! - 600,510 - 99 - ON - PS4

Like... the screen scrolled into the end of stage 5 as I input my initials /cry
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Nguyen VinhLOC

Post by Nguyen VinhLOC »

ryu wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:33 pm True. Though some recoveries are still not much fun at all and stage 5 is insane without a high level shot.
Indeed, the final boss checkpoint up to now it's my ONLY difficult ones so far. Otherwise the whole stage is not that hard obviously
Arino

Post by Arino »

Ha same here. I had already defeated the big plane and then got shot -.- then had to do that boss again with nothing and he was still alive once it scrolled to the shore because my shot was so weak... got 570400
ryu wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:33 pm True. Though some recoveries are still not much fun at all and stage 5 is insane without a high level shot.

Almost got the 1-all

Hishouzame
mar!!! - 600,510 - 99 - ON - PS4

Like... the screen scrolled into the end of stage 5 as I input my initials /cry
We are so close!!!
Arino

Post by Arino »

Arcade version
Hi Sho Zame
Normal difficulty
P.F.R. - 726,290 - 142 - ON/hybrid - PS4

Picture: https://ibb.co/Y76KRsG
Video: https://youtu.be/iTlHjKo85wY
ryu

Post by ryu »

Good job. :) I also got the 1-ALL now. Ended pretty quickly though because I underestimated how much more HP bosses have in loop 2.

Hishouzame
mar!!! - 685,440 - 129 - ON - PS4

recording

I've got mixed feelings on this one. For one or two credits a day the game is really fun. Any more and I just get burned out on it. But then that's usually the case with these games so maybe I just got too impatient after playing this one for weeks. The music is good, but that's it, and it also peaks in stage 3 instead of ramping it up for the finale. There's games with much better soundtracks. I think I would enjoy this a lot more had stage 4 and 5 better music. There's no real jank in this and it's fun when a run goes decently well. But it's just as frustrating because you need to anticipate bullets to dodge them. I always had to make sure I'd stay focussed and stay on track, as every slight deviation from my route would almost certainly kill me every time, and that's just not fun at all.
Good game, but one of the best? Doubt it. The simple scoring system also doesn't mix well with the difficulty. I kept improving over the last couple days but it didn't reflect on my score until I managed the 1-ALL because survival time is almost all that matters. :?
Last edited by ryu on Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arino

Post by Arino »

ryu wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:00 am Good job. :) I also got the 1-ALL now. Ended pretty quickly though because I underestimated how much more HP bosses have in loop 2.

Hishouzame

I've got mixed feelings on this one. For one or two credits a day the game is really fun. Any more and I just get burned out on it. But then that's usually the case with these games so maybe I just got too impatient after playing this one for weeks. The music is good, but that's it, and it also peaks in stage 3 instead of ramping it up for the finale. There's games with much better soundtracks. I think I would enjoy this a lot more had stage 4 and 5 better music. There's no real jank in this and it's fun when a run goes decently well. But it's just as frustrating because you need to anticipate bullets to dodge them. I always had to make sure I'd stay focussed and stay on track, as every slight deviation from my route would almost certainly kill me every time, and that's just not fun at all.
Good game, but one of the best? Doubt it. The simple scoring system also doesn't mix well with the difficulty. I kept improving over the last couple days but it didn't reflect on my score until I managed the 1-ALL because survival time is almost all that matters. :?
Well done! Yes lol I had the exact same score (600k) as you after loop 1. Idk, I sometimes find it hard to move on to another game lol. So maybe I will try to get more loops in this one. Not sure.
ryu

Post by ryu »

Thanks! Part of me wants to keep playing as well, especially since my run didn't exactly end gracefully. On the other hand, the ways this game kills me when I don't focus for just a second really annoy me a bit too much. If it didn't have checkpoints or wouldn't spawn you at power level 1 it would be a different story.
Despatche wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:27 pmWill try for 1M.
Famous last words :lol:
Nguyen VinhLOC wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:06 pm Indeed, the final boss checkpoint up to now it's my ONLY difficult ones so far. Otherwise the whole stage is not that hard obviously
I think recovering mid-stage is also hell in stage 5. It's almost impossible for me to recover there so I'm glad I finally got through it.
Arino

Post by Arino »

ryu wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:31 am Thanks! Part of me wants to keep playing as well, especially since my run didn't exactly end gracefully. On the other hand, the ways this game kills me when I don't focus for just a second really annoy me a bit too much. If it didn't have checkpoints or wouldn't spawn you at power level 1 it would be a different story.
Despatche wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:27 pmWill try for 1M.
Famous last words :lol:
Nguyen VinhLOC wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:06 pm Indeed, the final boss checkpoint up to now it's my ONLY difficult ones so far. Otherwise the whole stage is not that hard obviously
I think recovering mid-stage is also hell in stage 5. It's almost impossible for me to recover there so I'm glad I finally got through it.
recovering at the end of stage 4 was also always great. then arriving at stage 5 with the pee shot, having to use bombs just to make it further...no wonder it took me so long
Nguyen VinhLOC

Post by Nguyen VinhLOC »

ryu wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:00 am Good job. :) I also got the 1-ALL now. Ended pretty quickly though because I underestimated how much more HP bosses have in loop 2.

Hishouzame

recording
Exactly the same score as my 1st clear on the first page Leaderboard while back in 2019 huh
Nguyen VinhLOC

Post by Nguyen VinhLOC »

DMC wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:17 am
Will you be going for a 2-loop clear as well?
Actually now my pit stop is at 2-5, little tiny bit to 2-ALL. But i don't wanna put much effort in it, i just simply playing this comfortably as my time-killer game