B&O MX4/6/7000 - troubleshooting and general information

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Xaranar

Re: B&O MX4/6/7000 - troubleshooting and general information

Post by Xaranar »

Image Image

This is what I'm fairly sure is the horizontal deflection section of my chassis looks like. I think it's going to be one of the two sets of highlighted caps.
SuicideShow

Post by SuicideShow »

Xaranar wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:06 pm I am trying to fix the geometry, yes, or at least improve it to acceptable levels, subjective as that may be. In that first picture, just below the two caps is a connector. Where does that connector go?
its going to the neckboard
Xaranar

Post by Xaranar »

I've ordered some larger value caps, so we shall see if my experiment bears fruit. I'm somewhat confident that the caps next to the linearity coil are the ones I need to replace, given how yours looks, and they are the largest value caps I could see in the area albeit nowhere near the value of the caps in your TV, being 220nf and 150nf respectively. I've bumped them up to 330 and 220 so we shall see what effect that has.

Come to think of it, I actually do have another problem with my MX8000 in that the picture jitters left to right ever so slightly, and not uniformly, each line seems to jitter independently of every other. If you get close to the screen you can see it easily, but it's not really noticeable when you're sat at a normal viewing distance. I have a Sony consumer CRT that does the same thing, but my PVM does not at all, it's rock solid. I don't know if it's just a thing with consumer CRTs or what, but it's something I'd like to fix if possible.
Xaranar

Post by Xaranar »

I've received the new capacitors and I have actually decided not to install them. Taking a look at the linearity on the MX8000, it doesn't suffer the same barrel distortion effect as the 7000 in that the squares to the left and right of the screen are the same size as the squares in the middle. The wavy horizontal lines I have been able to largely correct with service menu adjustments; a large part of my problem was incorrect vertical linearity as well. Here's a picture of Super Mario World looking crispyAF:

Balleratt

Post by Balleratt »

Mind sharing your MX8000 service menu settings, for what good it might do ? The barrel-roll effect on the MX8000 is much, much less vs the MX7000's I've had for sure.
Kjatte

Post by Kjatte »

I got a PAL MX7000 and when using a PAL Gamecube with the official RGB Scart cable the image is notably darker than composite input. Any way to fix this?

Also I would very much like to know if there is a way to disable the VisionClear light sensor? It dims the screen and only brightens it in direct sunlight. When shining a light into the sensor the brightness is perfect even with the RGB signal.
Jb2k

Post by Jb2k »

Balleratt wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:21 pm I have obtained a MX8000 and I have done a quick G2 adjustment, it seemingly were set too low judging from B&O G2 calibration screen. Just a tiny adjustment and the standby light went from yellow to green =) All good!

I've read that many prefer to disable the SVM (B&O VisionClear sharpness stuff), since it might bring a bit "too much" sharpness to the image, especially for 2D games. I tend to agree judging from a quick and dirty comparison with my MX7000. Disabling it on the MX8000 did make for a softer image more like the MX7000...HOWEVER! I also noticed that my MX7000 is significantly sharper vs the MX8000 (SVM deactivated) . And I don't think any calibration can make it on-par with the MX7000 sharpness, well as long as the SVM cable is detached that is.

Anyone experienced the same thing comparing the two sets?
Does anyone know where to find that G2 adjustment thingie on a MX8000?
pryme

Post by pryme »

Hi. I am going to buy a B&O MX4000.
Serial NO: 12653036.

I am wondering if this CRT can handle NTSC 60hz?

Thanks.
Cisek

Post by Cisek »

Kjatte wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:38 am I got a PAL MX7000 and when using a PAL Gamecube with the official RGB Scart cable the image is notably darker than composite input. Any way to fix this?

Also I would very much like to know if there is a way to disable the VisionClear light sensor? It dims the screen and only brightens it in direct sunlight. When shining a light into the sensor the brightness is perfect even with the RGB signal.
I'll open it today and check for some solution. This VisionClear is biggest problem for overall perfect image in MX7000 and MX6000. It is also the very first reason why people think that these tvs are dim and have weak colours! It is only because of some fucking light sensor, geez why did they even mounted it in the first place!
Balleratt

Post by Balleratt »

pryme wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:34 am Hi. I am going to buy a B&O MX4000.
Serial NO: 12653036.

I am wondering if this CRT can handle NTSC 60hz?

Thanks.
Should do so with no problem. I had a MX4002 a few years back and it was no problem, not much difference between those two sets as far as I'm concerned, apart from the latter supporting the Masterlink function.
pryme

Post by pryme »

Should do so with no problem. I had a MX4002 a few years back and it was no problem, not much difference between those two sets as far as I'm concerned, apart from the latter supporting the Masterlink function.
[/quote]

Thank you for that info.
Cisek

Post by Cisek »

Cisek wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:27 am
Kjatte wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:38 am I got a PAL MX7000 and when using a PAL Gamecube with the official RGB Scart cable the image is notably darker than composite input. Any way to fix this?

I'll open it today and check for some solution. This VisionClear is biggest problem for overall perfect image in MX7000 and MX6000. It is also the very first reason why people think that these tvs are dim and have weak colours! It is only because of some fucking light sensor, geez why did they even mounted it in the first place!
I thought that disconecting brightness sensor from chassis will do the work, but unfortunately it didn't. The tube just stayed dimmly lit like on default. There must be some fix though, anybody have idea? If not I guess I will have to mount some permanent led, but it will ruin MX7000 beatiful design.
SuperSpongo

Post by SuperSpongo »

You should try to find out what kind of brightness sensor is used. If you have a Multimeter, you can measure the output signal. If it outputs something like 0 to 10V, you could maybe replace the signal with a simple voltage divider or potentiometer.

If you don't have a Multimeter or don't feel like opening up your TV again just yet, you could also search for the service manual (I think the MX7000 one is available) and see if you can find it there.
croy

Post by croy »

I've recently picked up a b&o av9000 and have been trying to access the service menu. I've tried bridging the service pins and using the menu 0 0 play command on the beolink 1000 remote but all I can get is the software version which shows its running version 1.0. I've also tried menu 1 1 play and shift text 1 1 play but so far no luck. Does anyone have any other ideas that I could try?