The Super Famicom / Super NES Thread

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Ruldra

Re: The Super Famicom / Super NES Thread

Post by Ruldra »

Actraiser 2 is fantastic. I remember being stuck in the first level for a long time, but once I got good enough to beat that one, the others were beaten in much less time. Stick with it because it's totally worth it.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

BIL I'll try again on A2 and practice the magic attack.

One thing: the game appears to have infinite lives? No game over screen that I can tell. Not sure I'm into that, but then I discovered clearing the game is over 2 hours long! That's almost current gen campaign standards. Odd setup for an action game.
KindGrind wrote: I've been toying with Contra Spirits, and I don't see how I will 1CC this ever.

The buss rush sequence is just ridiculous... :(
Are you playing on hard? Just go for the normal clear first of all, it doles out extends endlessly and helps you to comfortably learn weapon usage etc. Honestly, normal is quite soft imo, while hard really pushes you into true Contra form. My best is 2-4, and from that I know the hard clear will require actual dedicated play to pin down.

BACK TO THE FIREmen

I tried out the PS1 sequel last night and had it running side by side with the SFC.

Essentially they have tried to serious it up. It now has urgent voice acting instead of text and although graphically ok, the pre-rendered look to the environments isn't as attractive as the SFC pure tileset sprites and backgrounds, so it's slightly less visually appealing.

F2 has plenty of orchestral action audio beefing up the hazards, but it's weirdly disjointed in places:

- Your character's hose doesn't fire water from the nozzle when facing south. So strange, the jet comes from under the hole. Just seems lazy as hell and looks terrible. The SFC game had no trouble with this.

- Early on you're running around a theme park, but the variety is oddly placed. You get on a small raft where you're immobile during shipping and at one point step through a door and appear on a moving roller coaster with no forewarning - also immobile during what is essentially a wasted cutscene (putting out fire on a coaster would have been neat.)

- Most irky, in the SFC game it impressively remembers fire you extinguished to the pixel if you leave a room and then return. It's very nicely done and prompts you to push for that 100% fire clear percentage while racing the clock. In the sequel I spent ages putting out all the flame, went through a door to have a short natter about a computer malfunction (or something) and on stepping back outside all flame had returned. I don't know if this was meant to happen or an isolated incident, but in the event the PS can't remember fire eradication between area loads, that totally defeats the sense of actually firefighting.

I need to play it more to see how it heats up, but I can see it's not quite got the rounded excellence of the original.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Skykid wrote: One thing: the game appears to have infinite lives? No game over screen that I can tell. Not sure I'm into that, but then I discovered clearing the game is over 2 hours long! That's almost current gen campaign standards. Odd setup for an action game.
Maybe it depends on region, but in my version you start with a standard 3 lives and get booted back to the world map when you run out of them on a stage.

"You appear to have been defeated" indeed.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Squire Grooktook wrote: Maybe it depends on region, but in my version you start with a standard 3 lives and get booted back to the world map when you run out of them on a stage.

Yeah, that's what I was getting at. So technically no game over right? You just get kicked back to the map and then get to go back in again?

Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Skykid wrote:
Squire Grooktook wrote: Maybe it depends on region, but in my version you start with a standard 3 lives and get booted back to the world map when you run out of them on a stage.

Yeah, that's what I was getting at. So technically no game over right? You just get kicked back to the map and then get to go back in again?
Oh, yeah basically. A 1cc is more self imposed here than usual. I guess you could say its structured more like a Mega Man game than an arcade one, maybe.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Anyone ever play Ignition Factor? Yet another firefighting game, takes itself a bit more seriously and is pretty fun, though there's a few elements I'm not really sure of how they work. For instance, you can find items on the floor that are hidden, but sometimes hanging on to them to the end of the stage actually loses you points if they're broken by the time you finish, not sure if running or jumping is what affects this... I like it but I wasn't very good at it I think. I don't remember beating it.
1up

Post by 1up »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:Anyone ever play Ignition Factor? Yet another firefighting game, takes itself a bit more seriously and is pretty fun, though there's a few elements I'm not really sure of how they work. For instance, you can find items on the floor that are hidden, but sometimes hanging on to them to the end of the stage actually loses you points if they're broken by the time you finish, not sure if running or jumping is what affects this... I like it but I wasn't very good at it I think. I don't remember beating it.
I like Ignition Factor, but I haven't played it in over a decade. It's a lot of fun and I liked it more than The Firemen.
Don't recall any hidden items. Maybe I just suck at the game?
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Basically, when you walked over certain areas you would automatically bend down and pick up something (like a keycard or vase) but you kind of had to find them by accident or be purposefully walking over every floor tile to find them. There wasn't anything to indicate where there was something to pick up off the floor though, at least not as far as I could tell. I seemed a bit luck reliant to find them.
Crafty+Mech

Post by Crafty+Mech »

Zombies Ate My Neighbors does get repetitive after awhile, but is still one of my favorite SNES titles from back in the day.

And regarding Super Smash TV, it is a fairly good arcade port. The arcade version is brutal and definitely a quarter muncher, but the SNES version was still pretty tough without feeling watered down.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Yeah, I noticed while trying out the PS1's Arcade Party Pack that it was a struggle just to make it past the first studio on a credit (difficulty at the collection's default, 3). Gave up at Mutoid Man after a while. By comparison the SFC one's nowhere as harrowing thanks to toned-down enemy aggression, but just as fast-paced, making it easier to get into that zen state. Still planning to get APP just for the sheer evil, they seem worth owning together.
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

Crafty+Mech wrote: And regarding Super Smash TV, it is a fairly good arcade port. The arcade version is brutal and definitely a quarter muncher, but the SNES version was still pretty tough without feeling watered down.
For me, like Robotron, Smash TV is not as fun without a dual stick set-up.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

opt2not wrote:
Crafty+Mech wrote: And regarding Super Smash TV, it is a fairly good arcade port. The arcade version is brutal and definitely a quarter muncher, but the SNES version was still pretty tough without feeling watered down.
For me, like Robotron, Smash TV is not as fun without a dual stick set-up.
If I remember correctly, it does have the option to use two controllers, though I feel the multiple button setup works fine. I also liked the NES port, which isn't as good as the SNES, but nice for the hardware. It's crazy how even earlier ports of Robotron like the Atari 800 version support a dual stick setup.
KindGrind

Post by KindGrind »

A bit late to reply, but didn't remember Actraiser 2's sprites being so beautiful. Thanks to the poster on the previous page.
Muchos años después, frente al pelotón de fusilamiento...
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Ah Ignition Factor! Now I know what that is, I actually got the JP ver, Fire Fighting, in a lot recently for about £2.

In JP it sadly seemed indecipherable, but now I know there's a western version I'll definitely check it out when I'm finished on my Firemen kick.

Although I'd love it to be even better than The Firemen, I never trust Jaleco too much. That's one company that has a rep of almost getting there but failing something at the last hurdle. Interested to find out though.

CIT

Post by CIT »

Haha! Pretty spot-on description of Jaleco, I'd say. I recently got this game for cheap too, but haven't played it yet. Firemen seems to be the game with the better reputation.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

CIT wrote:Haha! Pretty spot-on description of Jaleco, I'd say. I recently got this game for cheap too, but haven't played it yet. Firemen seems to be the game with the better reputation.
Firemen is superb fun, very nicely put together. If you missed it, I did a full feedback for it on the last page.

CIT

Post by CIT »

Yeah, I have both Firemen games too. Just haven't played any of them in depth yet. I'll probably have an extended firefighting session one of these days.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Is the original SFC Panel de Pon worth it for a casual puzzle game fan? I really like what I've played so far, just wondering if there's any particular reason to avoid it (glitches, major obsolescences, etc).
trap15

Post by trap15 »

I does have a few glitches, but you'll only run into those at really high play. US version has different bugs. Supposedly the US version has harder AI, but I don't think that'll matter much until you're 1CCing Super Hard :) I've never really noticed significant difference in difficulty between them anyways, and I'm a huge fan of the series.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Ta, sounds good! High level glitches are cool by me, I remember you posting about the US/JP ones being really hard to trigger a while back.
KindGrind

Post by KindGrind »

What is your take on Captain Commando on the SNES/SFC?

Subpar FF clone, or a game worth visiting? It commands a hefty price tag on the secondary markets... and I was wondering why, to be honest.
Muchos años después, frente al pelotón de fusilamiento...
CIT

Post by CIT »

If you like Capcom beat 'em ups you'll like it, but it's not their best, imo. The best way to play Captain Commando on a home console is the PS1 version.

I think the SNES version is just expensive cuz it's SNES. :lol:

EDIT: If you're looking for a good beat 'em up for SNES, your first stop should be Ninja Warriors Again.
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

I eyed the SNES Captain Commando when I was younger, but didn't get the chance to play it. Now I know I would have just been disappointed.

My top three belt-scrollers for SNES would probably be Final Fight Tough, King of the Monsters 2, and Maximum Carnage, though they're not without problems.
CIT wrote:Yeah, I have both Firemen games too. Just haven't played any of them in depth yet. I'll probably have an extended firefighting session one of these days.
Christmas would be the perfect time for the first game.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
Drum
Banned User

Post by Drum »

Anyone have any views on which is the better version of The Chaos Engine - SNES or MD? I know the SNES version changed the priest to a scientist, which is dumb, but I'm interested more in performance/gameplay/overall visuals.
IGMO - Poorly emulated, never beaten.

Hi-score thread: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34327
BIL

Post by BIL »

Fancy that, I was just wondering about Chaos Engine after being greatly emotionally offended with artistic inspiration lost by True Lies. Only gave this topdown shooter a look because Beam Software's SFC port of Smash TV is pretty goddamn good. Unfortunately it was a waste of my mfn time. The strafe and roll mechanics hint at quality, but the shooter around them is bland, bullet-soaking dross. You can avoid bullets, there's just no reason to. FUCK OFF (・`W´・)

Compact, amusingly stubby sprites deserved a better game. Minor LJN novelty appeal. Can anything stand up to Kiki Kaikai? (besides Twinkle Tale LMAO)
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Yeah, I can't bring myself to play my cart again. Had it plugged in for a total of a few minutes, I think. I already was somewhat blase about the map designs of a Granada, but CE takes away any difficulty or intensity, at least in the opening stages. Heck, even Operation Logic Bomb has this kind of problem to a degree, though that's really a whole series to investigate, at least.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Logic Bomb / Angry Fortress SFC Ver has the single worst case of unskippable cutscenes I've encountered in my tenure. They're unfuckingbearable :shock: and the game didn't seem too hawt either, lifebar slumming boss patterns ahoy! Liked the strafing, but as with Ahnuld Licensed Hit above that ain't enough. :o
Last edited by BIL on Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

What did you think of the GB counterparts to Operation Logic Bomb, Fortified Zone and Ikari no Yousai 2?
BIL

Post by BIL »

Been meaning to try 'em out, but I was a bit afraid of discovering yet more GB games to chase so I'm procrastinating. :lol:

How are they, if you've played them? For now, the only topdown shooting I have for GB is HAL's rather easy but still charming and extensively destructive Totsugeki! Ponkotsu Tank.

I'd honestly have stuck with Logic Bomb longer if not for those abominable cutscenes... though, alarms went off at the first boss's seemingly undodgeable patterns. I can take a degree of lifebar slumming (El Viento's a quality game despite it), but only a bit.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Macaw quite likes them, so I imagine they're decently quality.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.