SNES/Famicon PCB Revisions and RGB Video

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
borti4938

Re: SNES/Famicon PCB Revisions and RGB Video

Post by borti4938 »

with "not tested / described here" the not is related to both - tested and described. Maybe it's written in a misleading way...

Yeah, it's possible; of course. It's a long time ago I looked for how it is possible on a PAL SNES.

... Well, on a NTSC unit it is quite useless as one already has CSYNC on the MultiAV.
... On a PAL unit you have to disconnect 12V first from the MultiAV. Afterwards you can grab CSYNC from the S-ENC CSYNC input pin and connect it to the modding board. Which modding steps exact have to be performed??? I have to look for it (once again)...
chomel

Post by chomel »

Sorry I made you change your file. While we're talking about that, reading again PCB_VersA_Prep_README.txt and PCB_VersB_Prep_README.txt, you wrote
3.a) ... NTSC-cable schematic [5,6]
and [5,7] for PAL but below [6] is for PAL and [7] for NTSC

About my mod, I haven't performed anything yet, I haven't even bought anything yet. Now I have some extra questions.
- You said that I can grab CSYNC directly from pin 8 of the S-ENC or pin 100 of the PPU-2 and solder it directly to the CSYNC on the 4.1a modding board, right?
- If I use the 4.1b board. Is it possible to connect directly CSYNC from S-ENC or PPU-2 to pin 9 of multiAV instead of composite video (to keep +12V)? Or do I have to add extra resistors or capcitors? I might have asked you that already but I couldn't find the posts.
Bahn Yuki

Post by Bahn Yuki »

tjsynkral wrote:
CkRtech wrote:Well, you could try Tavatri's SNES Sharp Pixel mod. I think Borti was working on a PCB for it last year. Not sure what came of it. The prototyping nature of the circuit has a ton of stacked components if you try to "float it" without a PCB. Results for those that tried it have been mixed.
Google just brings me back to your post, can you tell me more about this?

I may be making a few comparison photos for you guys since I have my RGB-modded Trinitron CRT and retro_console_accessories cables. My old SNES is an SHVC, and I've modded it for Component and it's giving me very sharp pixels on Component thus dodging the blurry RGB issue. I have a Snes Jr that gives me great RGB with the RetroRGB board, though I still need to add s-video to it (for convenience and luma sync). And my SFC is one of the S-RGB's, either 01 or 02, I will check later (that system is currently getting a retro bright).
Even using RGB through my OSSC on a Vizio P75, I find the component output from my SNES to be sharper. The only thing I wonder about is the colors look a bit muted, still the razor sharp pixels is well worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74tCA8m_O4k
Displays I currently own:
LG 83C1(OLED),LG 77C2(OLED), LG 42C2(OLED),TCL 75R635(MiniLED),Apple Studio Monitor 21(PCCRT),SONY 34XBR960x2(HDCRT)
SONY 32XBR250,Samsung UBJ590(LED),Panasonic P50VT20(Plasma),JVC NZ8
dafoomie

Post by dafoomie »

If anyone's still interested:

SM11986419 - 1CHIP-01
SM12059841 - 1CHIP-02
jdawg131

Post by jdawg131 »

My 1 chip SNES (serial number UN310944223) arrived in the mail today. The picture quality is greatly improved over my old GPM-02. The overall picture is brighter, and much sharper. Fingers crossed that my new SFC arriving tomorrow is a 1 chip. The serial number is S24909549 and it has the newer style SHVC-JPN-1 sticker. It'll be close based on what I saw on the (old) floating spreadsheet.
Makinx

Post by Makinx »

jdawg131 wrote:My 1 chip SNES (serial number UN310944223) arrived in the mail today. The picture quality is greatly improved over my old GPM-02. The overall picture is brighter, and much sharper. Fingers crossed that my new SFC arriving tomorrow is a 1 chip. The serial number is S24909549 and it has the newer style SHVC-JPN-1 sticker. It'll be close based on what I saw on the (old) floating spreadsheet.
It is overly bright though. Retrorgb.com has a fix for this.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

Another solution, if you aren't able to do modding, is the HD Retrovision component cables, which are designed to work with unmodified 1chip systems (set the brightness switch accordingly). They also work with the 1chip-03 without modification, only the SNES Mini requires modification to use them. They've got another production run going up on sale in the near future.
FBX

Post by FBX »

When I get the chance next week (busy with one last artwork commission this week), I'll collate all the serials into a new updated spreadsheet. I've found several web site forums with various reports, so I'll collect them all together.
jdawg131

Post by jdawg131 »

Guspaz wrote:Another solution, if you aren't able to do modding, is the HD Retrovision component cables, which are designed to work with unmodified 1chip systems (set the brightness switch accordingly). They also work with the 1chip-03 without modification, only the SNES Mini requires modification to use them. They've got another production run going up on sale in the near future.
I'm not a modder, so I may look into the component cables. Thanks for the heads up.
jdawg131

Post by jdawg131 »

The SFC arrived today and it's a 1CHIP-01!! The one thing that I've noticed already (in addition to the improved PQ), is that my 2-chip models are a lot heavier than their 1-chip equivalents.

FBX - for the updated database:

SNES
UN226959625 / SNS-CPU-GPM-02
UN310944223 / SNS-CPU-1CHIP-0X (I believe that it's an 01)

SFC
S14042610 / SHVC-CPU-01
S24909549 / SNS-CPU-1CHIP-01
empo

Post by empo »

I used the old spreadsheet to find mine so to contribute

SFC
S25113239 / SNS-CPU-1CHIP-02
Has the SHVC-JPN-1 sticker
jdawg131

Post by jdawg131 »

Did some testing last night in a darkened environment. Unfortunately, the 1-chip SFC has a VERY noticeable vertical bar. Tested with Super Metroid, Akumajō Dracula (Super Castlevania IV), and Akumajō Dracula XX. On the other three consoles, it's very faint. Really only notice it on the Final Fantasy III (VI) title screen with the two SNES consoles. Another thing that I've noticed is that there appears to be more video noise/interference with both 1-chip models compared to the 2-chips. It almost look like the screen is swimming; particularly with a solid black screen. The consoles are connected using sync on luma cables (one is from Retro Console Accessories and the other from Solaris Japan). Not sure if going with pro coaxial cysnc cables will alleviate the issue. Thoughts?
FBX

Post by FBX »

I downloaded the existing spreadsheet and have started reorganizing it. I've tossed out unimportant data columns like "owner" and "repair number". It will just be a quick reference sheet once I get it updated and uploaded.
FBX

Post by FBX »

Okay,

Here's the collated new spreadsheet from several threads I reviewed:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 44/pubhtml

Most databases I found were almost entirely useless because they didn't provide the board revision. One interesting new addition to the list is the new record for lowest US serial number, complete with exact purchase date in the notes.
Last edited by FBX on Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
jdawg131

Post by jdawg131 »

FBX - My S24909549 also has the SHVC-JPN-1 sticker.
FBX

Post by FBX »

jdawg131 wrote:FBX - My S24909549 also has the SHVC-JPN-1 sticker.
Done:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 44/pubhtml
jdawg131

Post by jdawg131 »

I fell mighty stupid now. After I lowered the brightness from 25 to 21 on the XRGB Mini, the vertical line and interference/noise completely went away (except for the FF III/VI title screen) on both of my 1-chip consoles.
FBX

Post by FBX »

jdawg131 wrote:I fell mighty stupid now. After I lowered the brightness from 25 to 21 on the XRGB Mini, the vertical line and interference/noise completely went away (except for the FF III/VI title screen) on both of my 1-chip consoles.
You could also try using black level in combination with brightness. But don't feel stupid about it because it is an issue with many SNES consoles.
jdawg131

Post by jdawg131 »

jdawg131 wrote:I fell mighty stupid now. After I lowered the brightness from 25 to 21 on the XRGB Mini, the vertical line and interference/noise completely went away (except for the FF III/VI title screen) on both of my 1-chip consoles.
The csync pro-coaxial cables that I ordered from Retro Console Accessories arrived today. I raised the brightness back to 25, and could not spot the vertical line or noise/interference on either console (other than a slight bar at the FFIII SNES title screen). Previously, with the Solaris Japan sync-on-luma cable (connected to the SFC), those defects were obvious without even trying to look for them. The SNES wasn't anywhere near as bad with its sync-on-luma cable from Retro Console Accessories. Not sure if the csync or thicker grade cable made the difference.

What I do know for certain is that I do not trust the (pro grade) Solaris Japan JP-21 sync-on-luma cables. I recently had to replace my Saturn cable. It only lasted ~9 months before giving out. It would randomly drop the signal and I had to disconnect/reconnect the connector on the back of the Saturn to restore it. Other times when it actually worked, colors would suddenly turn very pinkish. Now the obvious video noise/interference on the SFC. The cables are not well made and lack proper shielding. Which is a shame, because they're a great company to order a Framemeister from.
FBX

Post by FBX »

jdawg131 wrote:
The csync pro-coaxial cables that I ordered from Retro Console Accessories arrived today. I raised the brightness back to 25, and could not spot the vertical line or noise/interference on either console (other than a slight bar at the FFIII SNES title screen). Previously, with the Solaris Japan sync-on-luma cable (connected to the SFC), those defects were obvious without even trying to look for them. The SNES wasn't anywhere near as bad with its sync-on-luma cable from Retro Console Accessories. Not sure if the csync or thicker grade cable made the difference.

What I do know for certain is that I do not trust the (pro grade) Solaris Japan JP-21 sync-on-luma cables. I recently had to replace my Saturn cable. It only lasted ~9 months before giving out. It would randomly drop the signal and I had to disconnect/reconnect the connector on the back of the Saturn to restore it. Other times when it actually worked, colors would suddenly turn very pinkish. Now the obvious video noise/interference on the SFC. The cables are not well made and lack proper shielding. Which is a shame, because they're a great company to order a Framemeister from.
You should know the vertical line is inherent to the SNES itself, and some consoles show it more strongly than others. As for interference/noise, a lot (if not all) has to do with how the Framemeister handles the A/D conversion, and so you end up having to turn the brightness down and/or the black level up in order to 'hide' the noise.
Harrumph

Post by Harrumph »

PAL SNES

My own:
UP16267611 SNSP-CPU02
UP17991220 SNSP-CPU-1CHIP-02

Some from when I was checking ebay (where pics or other confirmation was clear):
UP17410887 SNSP-CPU-1CHIP-01
UP17665520 SNSP-CPU-1CHIP-01
UP18162993 SNSP-CPU-1CHIP-02
UP18197844 SNSP-CPU-1CHIP-02
FBX

Post by FBX »

Harrumph wrote:PAL SNES

My own:
UP16267611 SNSP-CPU02
UP17991220 SNSP-CPU-1CHIP-02

Some from when I was checking ebay (where pics or other confirmation was clear):
UP17410887 SNSP-CPU-1CHIP-01
UP17665520 SNSP-CPU-1CHIP-01
UP18162993 SNSP-CPU-1CHIP-02
UP18197844 SNSP-CPU-1CHIP-02
All have been added to the list. Thanks!
Kagigod

Post by Kagigod »

My last addition:
Pal SNES:
UP17754124 SNSP-CPU-1CHIP-01
FBX

Post by FBX »

Kagigod wrote:My last addition:
Pal SNES:
UP17754124 SNSP-CPU-1CHIP-01
Added. That's also the highest PAL 1CHIP-01 serial number we have in the database now. The next entry is an -02 in the UP179 range. It will be interesting to see as time goes on whether we can narrow that gap even further.
lepo76

Post by lepo76 »

couple more SFC

S 25183721 1CHIP-02
S 25198434 1CHIP-03

both have the SHVC-JPN-1 sticker
Csync is not connected on the 1-CHIP-03
FBX

Post by FBX »

lepo76 wrote:couple more SFC

S 25183721 1CHIP-02
S 25198434 1CHIP-03

both have the SHVC-JPN-1 sticker
Csync is not connected on the 1-CHIP-03
Added. This also narrows the gap from -02 to -03 for SFCs in the database.
fafangus

Post by fafangus »

Some french video about the SFC 1chip ^^
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPURXpv_eLE
blizzz

Post by blizzz »

In case anyone is still looking for a 1CHIP console, Yamatoku has an auction with 3 hours left that should be a 1CHIP-02. S25146271
Harrumph

Post by Harrumph »

Hmm, tempted... :)
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

Will there ever be a way to output 8:7 from an SNES?