SNES/Famicon PCB Revisions and RGB Video

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
maton1200

Re: SNES/Famicon PCB Revisions and RGB Video

Post by maton1200 »

Rulumi wrote:I think the problem may come to two things, the design of the video circuit on the board itself may be a bit noisy as usually all models after the SHVC-CPU-01 gets it noiser and noiser.

The other and may be as important is that SNS-CPU-RGB-0X motherboards uses an S-RGB video encoder (exact one used on 1CHIP models) instead of the S-ENC video encoder. Bypassing the video encoder with an S-ENC or a modern one and/or it's own board instead the motherboard one should improve things.

Also if you only want S-Video I recommend an original design system (2 PPUs and 1 CPU) instead of the 1CHIPs, the 1CHIP internally works quite differently and has bugs in various games. Most of the time they are minor graphical problems in specific parts (garbage dots on some part of the screen), but it's alarming in how many it happens.

In compairison to the 1CHIP, clone systems which use the same internal design for their three clone chips (1 PPU with the 2 PPUs design inside, 1 CPU and 1 SPC700 clone) since they created them in the 90s (they were released around 1994-1995). While clones may have a few more major issue games than what's currently reported of the 1CHIP, in total clone systems may have less problems and bugs with games than the 1CHIPs (but as said, the 1CHIP problems are usually minor graphical errors in specific parts, but they really happen in a lot of games).
Thanks,

I saw some people in another forum mentioning that adding a 470ohm resistor somewhere (unclear where exactly since nobody drew a diagram) on the Luma or Chroma signals takes care of the issue. Not sure if anybody has heard of that mod