Path of Exile: It's a free Diablo Clone, play it nao already

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
BryanM

Path of Exile: It's a free Diablo Clone, play it nao already

Post by BryanM »

The overly long FAQ/sales pitch.

What is Path of Exile?

Path of Exile is a Diablo clone made by a group of New Zealanders (sheep people). Opposed to Diablo 3, there are no flashing strobe lights or chainsaws scrapping chalkboards on this one - you can play it without getting a headache or entering a seizure. A lot of brown and teal and grey.

It's a bit more oriented to the sperglord spectrum of players, as you can tell by the skill grid with 1,400 nodes on the thing.

Classes

The only difference in the classes are their appearance, starting stats, quest rewards, and their location on the skill grid. The six classes are:

Marauder - Strength. He's a big fuck ox with the easiest access to powerful +life nodes. A real beast; very popular.

Duelist - Strength+Dexterity. His area is good at dual wielding.

Ranger - Dexterity. Her starting area is kind of weak in my opinion. Bows and +movement speed are the highlights.

Shadow - Dexterity+Intelligence. Assassin dude who says wonderful things while you play. Dual wielding claws/daggers, critical hits (which can cause bonus effects), and a splash of magic.

Witch - Intelligence. Elemental and AoE spell power. And minions. And wands if you want to spend a ton of skill points before they become any good. Live the dream of having a Firestorm with an area so large it covers the entire screen.

Templar - Intelligence+Strength. The most pantsless of our pantsless heroes. A super scottish old geezer. He has easiest access to +resistance and elemental weapon damage stuff.

Okay why should I care?

Because it is 100% free to play. And uh, math. And stuff!

Honestly the best way I can describe its appeal is thus: Diablo characters are a lot like children. You have expectations (driven by the skill system) and you have hopes (driven by the item system). You feel like talking about them profusely to people, and those people, if they're remotely well adjusted and not some kind of sicko, won't give a shit about what you have to say.

And then you get weary of the kid and make a new one. Maybe with a new person. That'll zazz things up. So why not make a baby with Path of Exile instead?

... That metaphor went to a creepy place. Sorry. But people are often enthusiastic talking about their characters.

Like I have this Ranger, Sheepdicer, and she has this Dual Strike skill that slams down on dudes, and a Cleave that wipes out crowds, and Whirly Blades to zoom around and kite monsters to swarm and murder my party members.....

Please stop

Okay.

So when is it coming out?

The plan seems to be this December, but I half expect them to bump it back. The open beta is effectively the real release - there will be no more character wipes after it happens, ever.

Okay, but does it have any features to set it apart?

It does not have an open world, it's basically an enhanced Diablo 2. Here is what it has so far in closed beta:

Public Parties - You can start a party, and then everyone in your act can see where you are. So if you'd rather play with people, you can wait for folks to catch up to where you are and then just join in.

Global Chat - If you feel like going solo, the Global Chat will keep you company with its precious Chuck Norris jokes and Diablo 3 gripes. Or, if you're some kind of monster, you can hide it.

Loot Timer - Loot drops for everyone in the party, but Magic items, Currency, Rares, and Uniques are assigned to someone when they drop. Then that person has a few seconds to grab it. Consensus so far is it's too damn short.

No Fiddliness - You don't have to fiddle with potions. You stick them in your belt, and they fill themselves up on the blood of your enemies and you get to be happy forever. Ditto goes for Durability - durability is not in this game at all.

No Gold - Instead there are currency items, which can be used to improve your items or fix your mistakes in the skill tree. They can drop anywhere, so your time isn't completely wasted by playing in low level areas.

PvP - Path of Exile has PvP before Diablo 3 does. I don't know if anyone in the universe is surprised by this. 3v3 and 1v1 so far.

Zones - The level layout is not like Diablo 2 with one huge neverending blob of crap. Areas link to other instanced areas that usually look different.

Leagues - Instead of a ladder like in Diablo 2 that's reset once every other year, there is a league system in the game. With prizes. They can be hardcore, full of turbo monsters, etc. Basically as leagues finish up or you die in hardcore, your character falls back into a parent league. Hardcore characters go into the Default League pool upon death.

Any important tips?

The skill grid is a kaizo trap in its current form. It's seriously Diablo 2 all over again - stats for items and skills, rest into survival. In general most offense nodes are trash, only bother getting the big ones if they won't cost you many points to walk to, or have an awesome stat (like +4% block, or +20% to elemental damage) in addition to crappy old +physical damage.

I'd suggest going with a character with access to strength on the grid. Your first play through will be much less stressful.

Instances only last 8 minutes if no one is in them. Don't go to town and stare at your skill tree for an hour and expect to get back to what you were doing; when you're trying to get an objective, reach it.

The only real reason not to level up a gem is if you won't meet its stats later. People say mana cost is another concern, but in most cases outside of flat mana reserve auras I disagree.

Ctrl-click moves items directly into the sell box at vendors. Right click skill gems to take them out of items. Ctrl+Alt click your items to link them to chat. If you want to reset an instance, ctrl+click its entrance portal or icon on the waypoint list.

Don't expect the entire game to be as much fun as goofing with Hailrake.

Last edited by BryanM on Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:34 am, edited 8 times in total.
PSX Vita: Slightly more popular than Color TV-Game system. Almost as successful as the Wii U.
Moniker

Re: Path of Exile - Beta Key handout edition

Post by Moniker »

Yeah, sign me up. Love D2-esque crawlers. Q: on paper, my system can handle it, but if not, can I pass the code to someone else?
The freaks are rising through the floor.
Recommended XBLIG shmups.
Top 20 Doujin Shmups of ALL TIME.
muknowti

Post by muknowti »

I'd love one, been waiting for them to send me one forever :(
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

Sign me up as well. I loved the open beta despite that it only lasted few days (spent like 10 hours in 3 days)
Zenodyne R - My 2nd Steam Shmup
CptRansom

Post by CptRansom »

I'm interested as well!
<trap15> I only pick high quality games
<trap15> I'm just pulling shit out of my ass tbh
CoolgyFurlough

Post by CoolgyFurlough »

I felt really burned by Diablo III, so I really want to try this out to get my hack 'n' slash fix.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

A few more people than I thought. Hopefully they'll keep sending me more of these things..

8 PM Central Time is when I'll give them out; that'll give around 24 full hours since my post..
Moniker wrote:Q: on paper, my system can handle it, but if not, can I pass the code to someone else?
2 GB of ram and a ~$50 PCI Express graphics card ought to be enough; my system only chugs in the resource crazy pyramid. Load times for me are also a bit annoying; impossible for me to win a race.

You'd have to hand off your account to someone else after redeeming the code since it's used up.
PSX Vita: Slightly more popular than Color TV-Game system. Almost as successful as the Wii U.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

CoolgyFurlough and CptRansom won the wonderful prize of getting to become a murderous hobo.

They seem to be ramping up a little bit for open beta, so it's not unpossible I'll get more keys. If you wanna be in a potentially-happening but-not-a-sure-thing additional raffle and haven't expressed interest yet, go ahead since I'll just roll the number generator as I get them. If I get them.
CptRansom

Re: Path of Exile - Endless Purgatory edition

Post by CptRansom »

I only messed around with the Witch for a little while...

...This game is fucking awesome so far. I'm loving pretty much everything about it, and I will definitely be throwing money at the devs come payday. Thanks again, Bryan!
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

BryanM wrote:CoolgyFurlough and CptRansom won the wonderful prize of getting to become a murderous hobo.

They seem to be ramping up a little bit for open beta, so it's not unpossible I'll get more keys. If you wanna be in a potentially-happening but-not-a-sure-thing additional raffle and haven't expressed interest yet, go ahead since I'll just roll the number generator as I get them. If I get them.
Congrats to the winners, I tested this game during a short public beta period and it's as addicting as diablo 2 was. And yeah devs are probably going the DOTA2 route, i've been receiving so many DOTA2 copies (still have one spare one) so it's likely that you will be receiving more beta keys Bryan later on.
CoolgyFurlough

Post by CoolgyFurlough »

I'm absolutely loving the game! It plays a lot like Diablo II only I can actually play it at my full monitor resolution. The item trade instead of gold is very interesting so far, and socketed items and gems seem interesting too. Can't wait to lose quite a few hours on this one. :mrgreen:
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

I stopped playing the game because it causes my computer to BSOD, turns out the game hates ALL kinds of creative sound cards and the developers are bufoons that didn't figure out how to fix it since October. :(
CptRansom

Post by CptRansom »

The final character wipe goes into effect today/tomorrow, and the Open Beta begins tomorrow.

I'm pretty excited!
BryanM

Re: Path of Exile: It's a free Diablo Clone, play it nao alr

Post by BryanM »

The post release craziness has died down and the servers are no longer in a melted fugue state. If you're slightly on the fence (which you should not be), watch their trailer.

tldr getting started tips:

* Get at least +100% life. Seriously. No matter what.

* If you hate grinding or being at the whims of random fate, play as a spellcaster your first time through to collect gear for other characters. Your "weapon" levels up as you do, and you're never undergeared when it comes to offense.

* BryanM is an OCD sperglord, who will happily answer all of your questions, from banal simple things, all the way to the intricacies of the math used in the defense stats.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Kaiser wrote:creative sound cards
welp, not really sure I'd blame anything Creative-related on a dev

Creative has been notorious for shit drivers for...god, probably two decades now.

I'll check out the game, thanks for keeping this on the radar. Will be worth a few minutes of my time for sure :D
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

Ed Oscuro wrote:
Kaiser wrote:creative sound cards
welp, not really sure I'd blame anything Creative-related on a dev

Creative has been notorious for shit drivers for...god, probably two decades now.

I'll check out the game, thanks for keeping this on the radar. Will be worth a few minutes of my time for sure :D
Well, bad news, the BSODs also occur on BOTH AMD and Nvidia cards under some specific circumstances. Example, There's lots of reports people of BSODing when trying to teleport to city after defeating a major story boss like Brutus.
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

My girlfriend and I gave Path of Exile a spin last night. We are only about 2-3 hours in, but we're really enjoying it so far. I think I really needed this after Diablo 3 shit all over my expectations. Hoping to play more tonight!
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

I'm only a few hours in (just killed Brutus). So far, I like it a lot. I never played any of the Diablo games, though, so I can't compare PoE to them.

My character is a witch. I'm using blue gems almost exclusively, and I'm also pumping every last passive skill point into INT-based modificators, carefully not using any elemental specializations, but going for power, (critical) damage and area of effect instead. So far, this proved very successful. Most of the lesser enemies won't even get near me.
guigui

Post by guigui »

Well, this is not clear anywhere : Windows only ?
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Windows only.
Eno

Post by Eno »

Started playing about a week ago. Tried a Shadow with mass CC through Freezing Pulse, traps and maybe curses later on but he can't really solo effectively. Just rolled a 2h Infernal Blow Templar and things are going smoother, though I'm yet to face Brutus with him.
guigui wrote:Well, this is not clear anywhere : Windows only ?
Natively, yes. I've been playing through WINE and my more than archaic 8500GT has been handling things more or less gracefully(when soloing).
RS Kusoscores | Avatar taken from xkcd
guigui

Post by guigui »

Shooo for Windows only. Looks like a great game though, keep them coming.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Herr Schatten wrote:I never played any of the Diablo games, though, so I can't compare PoE to them.
Whoa, man, get to know someone (prefarably a lady) on Battle.net and play the first Diablo in co-op. One of the best things gaming has to offer.
Even the compromised PSX port played in co-op was quite a journey. Today I learned that Climax Group of Crash 'N' Burn (2004) fame developed that port, but I digress.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Obiwanshinobi wrote:
Herr Schatten wrote:I never played any of the Diablo games, though, so I can't compare PoE to them.
Whoa, man, get to know someone (prefarably a lady) on Battle.net and play the first Diablo in co-op. One of the best things gaming has to offer.
Even the compromised PSX port played in co-op was quite a journey. Today I learned that Climax Group of Crash 'N' Burn (2004) fame developed that port, but I digress.
The first two Diablo games came out during a time when I had absolutely no interest in PC-style games. Today, I'm reluctant to start playing either, because of the insane amount of time I'll end up sinking into them. I'm already regretting having started with PoE, as I'm spending way to much time with it. What can I do? It's just so much fun.

Anyway, back to Path of Exile.

I'm in Act 3 now and I start running into trouble. The wide open areas in slums and warehouses make it very easy for my character to get swarmed by large groups of fast moving enemies (mostly Serpents and Undyings). I built my skill tree with emphasis on critical hits, which works marvelously against single strong enemies, but not so great against larger groups.

The battles against the Vaal Oversoul and against Piety (in the Crematorium) were huge difficulty spikes. The balance of the game seemed a bit off there. Previous bosses (like Brutus or Merveil) seemed balanced better, putting up great fights but letting you beat them (albeit just barely) if you applied some strategy.

Btw, does anyone know what the meaning of the different colours of the health bars of enemies with individual names is? I'm assuming they stand for the same things the differently coloured items stand for: bronze=unique, gold=rare.
It doesn't make much sense, though, as the same individualized enemies always seem to respawn in the same maps, once those are resetted, regardless of the enemy's health bar colour. Also, I didn't find the bronze ones more dangerous than the gold ones, which I would assume if above interpretation was true.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Not having played Path of Exile, I suppose the colour hints at the kind of loot they may drop.
In hindsight, most Diablo clones I've played tried too hard to be like II (rather than the first one).
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

BryanM

Post by BryanM »

I've been down on it for awhile now; tired of the exp penalty making it into a boring grindothon, tired of the only good mods on items being prefixes, tired of level mattering so much to your strength, tired of six armor types slicing armor drops into pieces, tired of the stupid sockets making interim "gear up" items even more frequently crap.

Still a tremendous accomplishment, but deep flaws in there.

Oh, and this week is when they're starting up the "new skill a week" effort. Starting with, Inferno.
Herr Schatten wrote:The battles against the Vaal Oversoul and against Piety (in the Crematorium) were huge difficulty spikes. The balance of the game seemed a bit off there. Previous bosses (like Brutus or Merveil) seemed balanced better, putting up great fights but letting you beat them (albeit just barely) if you applied some strategy.
Like is stated in the OP, you stack Life and Energy Shield or you die. The ghost of Diablo 2 style stat systems come back to haunt us.

The Oversoul, you just need enough spider sense to not let him crush in your skull with his hammer attack and zap laser.
Btw, does anyone know what the meaning of the different colours of the health bars of enemies with individual names is? I'm assuming they stand for the same things the differently coloured items stand for: bronze=unique, gold=rare.
Blue is magic, and they're +1 the area level.

Gold is unique and yellow is rare. They're +2 the area level.

Uniques are pre-placed guys (who often have a special skill on them, like Rain of Arrows or the False God spark totem), and they have the highest quantity drop on items. If you feel like farming a bunch of jank rares to gear up, they're the go-to guys. Killcock at the start of each difficultly is a reliable, safe way to get a lot of jank yellow stuff you never wanted.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Thanks for the answers.

I'm now at the end (?) of the third act. Got along fine in the remaining areas, including the Lunaris Temple. Then came the final confrontation with Piety. I'm pretty sure it's technically impossible to beat her with my current character (level 39 witch), soloing.

Either of her portal-enhanced superpowered forms kills me in 3-4 hits, so I have to run away and/or hide behind the piles of corpses to avoid getting hit. Only during Piety's cooldown time, when she reverts back to her human form and spams lightning attacks, I can get a few ranged attacks in. Thing is, the cooldown time doesn't seem long enough for me to bring down her energy shield completely, so I can't actually do proper damage. Much too son, she enters one of the portals again and I have to run. When I can attack her again, the shield is back up.

I had similar problems with Gravicius. His shield was too powerful for me to pierce it while avoiding his attacks. I 'solved' the problem by stopping to avoid them. I just got maximum fire protection, got up close and spammed him with freezing pulses until I was dead. Then I used the nearby waypoint to immediately repeat the process. In each loop, I was able to dissolve the shield and scrape off a chunk of his HP, wich, thankfully, didn't regenerate. I think I died 3-4 times before he went down. Obviously, that 'strategy' won't work with Piety, though.

Other question: I found my first (and so far only) piece of unique gear. It's this one. Is that even useful? I mean, the evasion stats seem pretty good, but if I equip it, my armor and energy shield are weakend considerably. Wouldn't that armor make me vulnerable to one-hit-kills, when I fail my evasion roll?
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Eh, if you've not seen this Kaiser, they have an interim fix for creative cards that doesn't entail uninstalling the thing; a -softwareaudio flag.

@Level 39, I dunno if you're in Normal or Cruel. If it's normal, you should have enough ice resist to stand a few seconds against her ice form. I can solo it by killing the red portals before she can use them to go into her psycho zoomy death mode. Arc is kind of nice for keeping the shields down, since it automatically hits and auto targets offscreen a bit. Even 1 point of damage will do it; and it still takes several seconds for them to recover fully.

Later difficulties, you can use a spell totem for the same purpose; my Ranger has a Puncture turret ready for the sole purpose of making sure bosses like this can't regenerate.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

I'm still on normal. Using arc sounds like an excellent idea, I didn't think of that, but I will certainly try it. I don't have used that particular spell gem a lot, because it's reletively weak compared with Fireball and Ice Spear. Or maybe I just come back with a group to beat up Piety.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Finally started a Marauder. Here's what he looked like at level 27 in Normal. With my Baptism Maul.

Up to 1000 now in the early 30's. With two more sockets for Weapon Elemental Damage and Melee Physical Damage, that'd be +500. Another one for Faster Attacks; that'd be pushing into the 2000's...

Piety survived less than a minute. Better than what Sir Hugs a Lot, Kole, lasted.

The monsters to come in Cruel won't be having much luck either, I'm afraid. And once I start building up Stun Reduction Threshold... hoo boy.

Merciless is when I'll finally need to even think of a hope of needing to find an upgrade... Which is going to be a real pain. Probably stick to other characters before even bothering with that noise.