lightning force

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
GIANT SQUID

lightning force

Post by GIANT SQUID »

question, i have lightning force for my genesis, IS that thunderforce 4? it has the same title screen and stuff, but i never thought to import tf4..
llabnip

Re: lightning force

Post by llabnip »

GIANT SQUID wrote:question, i have lightning force for my genesis, IS that thunderforce 4? it has the same title screen and stuff, but i never thought to import tf4..
Yes, Lightening (sic) Force is the same as Thunder Force 4. Just a name/title screen change for the US NTSC release (not sure if it got a Pal release).
llabnip - DaveB
Once more the light shines brightly in sector 2814.
PFG 9000

Post by PFG 9000 »

Hey, while we're sorta on this topic, could somebody tell me how Thunder Spirits for the SNES fits into the Thunder Force picture? I thought I'd heard somewhere that it's a bad port of TF3, but could somebody describe the changes and what makes it so much worse than TF3? (I've never played TF3, obviously.)
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

I believe that Thunder Spirits is actually a port of Thunder Force AC (the only TF ever eleased in the arcades), which is like TF3 but with some different stuff in it. I haven't played enough of the other versions to know how much worse it is, but in any case I'm not particularly impressed with it (though I'm not a big TF fan to begin with).
Rob

Post by Rob »

llabnip wrote:Lightening (sic)
Please please break this tradition. Change topic title to: lightening is in fact, for the millionth time, a word.
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Rob wrote: Please please break this tradition. Change topic title to: lightening is in fact, for the millionth time, a word.
Well, it is a word (I remember the discussion we had about this in another thread :wink: ), but they probably wanted to use the word "lightning" and things got mucked up...
"Am I the only one who thinks it's funny that people start declaring a game is overrated before it's even out? "
"You're at shmups.com. We're all psychics full of righteous indignation!"
Rob

Post by Rob »

I refuse to believe Sega could make an error.
llabnip

Post by llabnip »

Rob wrote:
llabnip wrote:Lightening (sic)
Please please break this tradition. Change topic title to: lightening is in fact, for the millionth time, a word.
So is curmudgeon. Lightening means 'making lighter'. Lightning is the natural electrical discharge often associated with thunder. I'm guessing that the Thunder Force was supposed to be changed to Lightning Force since Thunder and Lightning are so closely coupled. However, I didn't pass judgement on the name of the title on the box, I simply used (sic) to indicate that the typing I gave (with the 'e' making the word to mean 'make lighter') was not a typo but was the actual spelling used by the folks that released the US version. I do this since it is often incorrectly written/assumed to be 'Lightning' (as it was in the original topic) since that title (Lightning Force) makes the most sense given the name of the series (Thunder Force).
Last edited by llabnip on Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
llabnip - DaveB
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Maybe "uic" (used incorrectly) would be a better parenthesis-bordered notation here?
Rob

Post by Rob »

Nah, not even that.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=lightening
3. To give off flashes of lightning.
Kind of analogous to the ship's firepower, no?
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Hm, I wasn't aware that the word "lighten" could be used for that...very obscure definition, to say the least...in any case, I don't care enough to make a big deal out of it either way, heh.
Rob

Post by Rob »

I win.

Oh, and I just saw this yesterday: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunder_Force (more than anyone would ever want to know about the series)
llabnip

Post by llabnip »

Rob wrote:Nah, not even that.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=lightening
3. To give off flashes of lightning.
Kind of analogous to the ship's firepower, no?
No. Anyway, that's the third of 3 defintions meaning it's the least commonly used defintion (for a word that isn't commonly used to begin with). Most people are surprised by the 'e' in Lightening Force and since 'sic' is used in writing to indicate that a surprising word or fact should be read as it stands, it seems appopriate to use it for the US title of Thunderforce 4. I may or may not write it if the original poster calls it out correctly - I'll just follow up with the same correct spelling (Lightening).
llabnip - DaveB
Rob

Post by Rob »

llabnip wrote: No.
Yes.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

The ship in Thunder Force IV is good for "lightening" the enemy forces. ;)
GIANT SQUID

Post by GIANT SQUID »

wow that didn't go where i thought it would... hahah, thanks guys. i will go play some more lyteheneeng phource now. woohoo.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

GIANT SQUID wrote:wow that didn't go where i thought it would.
Hang around here long enough and you'll come to expect it, methinks. :mrgreen:
BAD

Post by BAD »

BulletMagnet wrote:
GIANT SQUID wrote:wow that didn't go where i thought it would.
Hang around here long enough and you'll come to expect it, methinks. :mrgreen:
Got that right. This argument is stupid.

Just as old the whole "shmup or borderliner" argument thread...
Rob

Post by Rob »

wow that didn't go where i thought it would..
A link to Google?
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

I think he means the semantics discussion in general, heh.
Rob

Post by Rob »

As recap would say: added value.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

llabnip wrote:(not sure if it got a Pal release).
It got. And it's called Thunder Force IV.
sven666

Post by sven666 »

i have a PCB called lightening fighters, is this the same game, mine is a vert scrolling shooter thats not reminiscent of the thunder force series at all?

are there 2 lightening fighters?

ed: yes im an illiterate idiot that totally missread "force" for "fighters".. sorry bout that.. :?
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

sven666 wrote:i have a PCB called lightening fighters, is this the same game, mine is a vert scrolling shooter thats not reminiscent of the thunder force series at all?

ed: yes im an illiterate idiot that totally missread "force" for "fighters".. sorry bout that.. :?
Your Lightning Fighters is the US version of Trigon, no?
Endymion

Post by Endymion »

Something that noone ever mentions any time "Lightening (sic) Force" comes up is the fact that there was a television show on before the US release of this game called Lightning Force, a crappy show about a paramilitary team. You can argue semantics about how you think it really was meant to "mean" lightening or lightning if you like. Near as I know the additional e was a last-minute add-on because Sega wanted a name change (there were already a glut of sequels that year) and requested the alteration to Lightning Force, then just before the game was about to press the name had to be changed again to avoid legal entanglements with a straight-to-syndication video production company that surely would have taken the opportunity to sue Sega to any amount possible. Yes, lightening is a word. Was it their first choice? No way in hell.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Now that's even more interesting.

And Meat Loaf as a special guest star? What else could the public have asked for? :mrgreen:
GIANT SQUID

Post by GIANT SQUID »

This whole thing is totally random hahaha. Anyway, yeah, I saw on ebay that someone was selling a PAL version of TF4 so I guess it was released in the UK. I recently moved to Phoenix so I don't have all my Genesis games, but I didn't play Lightenig Force too much, does it still have the same game over music from the other TF games?? DA, DADA DA, DA, DA, DAAA, DA-DA-DA, DA, DADAAA! :shock:

Best game over music ever.. hahahah. Wait a minute...I really liked the game over music from Golden Axe too hahahah.
sven666

Post by sven666 »

Herr Schatten wrote:
sven666 wrote:i have a PCB called lightening fighters, is this the same game, mine is a vert scrolling shooter thats not reminiscent of the thunder force series at all?

Your Lightning Fighters is the US version of Trigon, no?
i do believe so.
they seem very similar anyways.
dpful

Post by dpful »

BulletMagnet wrote:I believe that Thunder Spirits is actually a port of Thunder Force AC (the only TF ever eleased in the arcades), which is like TF3 but with some different stuff in it. I haven't played enough of the other versions to know how much worse it is, but in any case I'm not particularly impressed with it (though I'm not a big TF fan to begin with).
I have Thunder Force AC, and I played Thunder Spirits years ago- I think it's at least very similar. Thunder Force AC has some levels from TF 2 and some from TF 3 and a few new space levels.

The thing is, Thunder Spirits sucks ass. Great graphics, though.
Pressing the fire button reduces the action to half speed. Really, it's horrible. I bought it used and returned it the next day.
zaphod

Post by zaphod »

I actually played a beta copy of thunderforce IV. it was quite cool. no idea why they renamed it fo rUS release. I can say it didnt' get change dmuch, if at all,e xcept for of course a bug or two fixed. I actually ended up clearing the thing just to tes tthe ending sequence (they had a stage select, but if you beat it using it, the ending crashed!)