beatmania IIDX thread

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Austin

Re: beatmania IIDX thread

Post by Austin »

I haven't delved into the realm of PC IIDX, so I'm still using an Arcade Style Controller (ASC) for PS2. It has micro switches and replicates the turntable size of the time, but it has opaque buttons, so no flashy blinky lights. I can't say they are worth the cost now, but I am glad I bought one. It's served me well over this last year and a half since I stick with the PS2 styles for home gameplay.

The "entry" controllers I think are very similar to their old PS2 membrane controllers. You can actually mod them easily and make them quite solid if you don't want to pay a lot. Here's an example: https://youtu.be/aATtvn9eNRs?si=UUlWOfSA2HeipwPM
null1024

Re: beatmania IIDX thread

Post by null1024 »

I've been trying to muck about with 14key mode for funsies... but like, having no way to do this at home makes the learning process a bit painful. I only have the one controller.

I am learning, at least. My scroll speed is hilariously low right now, but my ability to react to the notes is similarly low, so it works out.
I did end up getting Assist Easy clears on most 2s so far.
Apparently having the chart mirrored on the other side is supposed to be good for learning the hand positioning [with auto-scratch on because a lot of stuff just isn't reasonable to hit with one hand], but that was something I only heard today, so I haven't been able to try it.

For 7key, I'm definitely improving and it continues to feel great. 4s are pretty much all easy, 5s are mostly not too bad, and I'm slowly moving into 6s, even if a fair few of my clears there are Easy and Assist Easy. Started a bit rough because I didn't check my gauge options on a song I definitely was pretty borderline with being able to clear, but I managed. :D

Struggling a bit with certain patterns on my right hand. At home, there's one BMS song whose name I can't remember that I can do pretty easily until the very end where it ends up hitting super on this exact issue for the rest of the song -- I need to muck about with practicing it, I'm not even able to assist clear it because of how badly I do at the very end despite doing very well earlier in the song. Also, there are a handful of scratch combinations on my left hand that feel absurdly awkward.

Also, for some reason, Premium Free was only 1 credit when I went? I wasn't double-swiping.
Kinda wished I noticed earlier, I went through a lot of regular credits, I could have had like 7 songs per swipe instead of 3. :P
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.