Twin Cobra PCE (or just kyukyoku tiger?)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Thunder Force
Location: research and development facility for Vasteel Technology.

Twin Cobra PCE (or just kyukyoku tiger?)

Post by Thunder Force »

Question for PC Engine knowedgable folks, that I can't seem to find the answer to...

Was Kyukyoku Tiger for PC Engine a JP-only release, or did it also get a TG16 US or EU release as Twin Cobra, with the corresponding arcade differences (checkpoints vs respawns, etc)?

Cheers,

TF
"Thunder Force VI does not suck, shut your fucking mouth." ~ Shane Bettenhausen
Marc

Post by Marc »

Pretty certain that it was JPN only...
welcometoyourdoom

Post by welcometoyourdoom »

If you care, the Genesis (US) version of Twin Cobra is changed in name only, and still has the restart points. That and the zoomed-in view kind of botches what could have been a much better port. I would much rather have had the vert/status bar layout used in Truxton, Raiden, Fire Shark, and Grindstormer. Come to think of it, a Fire Shark quality port of TC would have been awesome. AFAIK there is no US version of KT for PC Engine.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

welcometoyourdoom wrote:If you care, the Genesis (US) version of Twin Cobra is changed in name only, and still has the restart points. That and the zoomed-in view kind of botches what could have been a much better port. I would much rather have had the vert/status bar layout used in Truxton, Raiden, Fire Shark, and Grindstormer. Come to think of it, a Fire Shark quality port of TC would have been awesome. AFAIK there is no US version of KT for PC Engine.
The US NES version of Twin Cobra is also changed in name only, but, unlike the Genesis version, it doesn't have restart points.
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

The PC Engine port is excellent, I highly recommend it. It kicks even more if you have a GT/TE. One of my fave shmups to play in the office next to Twin Bee and Parodius. :)
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

^ that shit rocks hard, i almost bought it at Pink Godzilla in seattle but the asking price was $38, and that seemed a bit steep.

**slightly edited for clarity** ^_^
Last edited by captain ahar on Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I have no sig whatsoever.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

welcometoyourdoom wrote:If you care, the Genesis (US) version of Twin Cobra is changed in name only, and still has the restart points. That and the zoomed-in view kind of botches what could have been a much better port. I would much rather have had the vert/status bar layout used in Truxton, Raiden, Fire Shark, and Grindstormer. Come to think of it, a Fire Shark quality port of TC would have been awesome. AFAIK there is no US version of KT for PC Engine.
Awesome avatar and screen name, BTW! :D
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

captain ahar wrote:that shit rocks hard, i almost bought it at Pink Godzilla in seattle but the asking price was $38, and that seemed a bit steep.
I assume you were referring to my post?

And is pink godzilla an import game store I assume? If so, next time i am in WA state i will swing by.

And yes, PCE Kyu Tiger rocks hard.
welcometoyourdoom

Post by welcometoyourdoom »

Thanks, Dave!
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Is this game full-screen? I'm just wondering if most PCE arcade ports are.
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

Dylan1CC wrote: And is pink godzilla an import game store I assume? If so, next time i am in WA state i will swing by.
yes, it is an import store. overpriced some of the time but excellent nonetheless. they will let you try anything used before you buy, and they do rentals on used games (not sure how this is handled though).

the site is http://www.pinkgodzillagames.com/

they have a full stock list on the site (or so i was told, at a glance though this is really untrue. they seem to have had much more in stock than this), and at some point they are looking to start selling over the internet. ^_^

oh, and another thing, buy a t-shirt and wear it when you shop, and you get a discount on your purchase.

for those looking to visit, set aside some time. their walls are absolutely full (this is one wall).
I have no sig whatsoever.