shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:14 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: RQ: Does firing raise rank in Ibara?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:45 pm 

Recently acquired (reg edition) and have been reading (and noticing) a lot of similarities between it and Battle Garegga (one of my favorite shooters).

I understand that Ibara has a similar rank system - but does the rank increase every time you fire like in Garegga?

In general, the rank up/down system seems a little chaotic to me compared to BG - though I'm assuming it's because I'm new to the game. For example - I'll think I'm playing conservatively and then the 2nd boss rips my a-hole apart...then I'll get to him in another, more aggressive run, and he seems easier (though still hard).

Any help here is appreciated. :)

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: RQ: Does firing raise rank in Ibara?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:39 am 

From what I remember in playing the arrange PS2 mode, the biggest things that crank your rank (tm) are medals and weapon pickups.

Can't remember if destorying parts of bosses increases the rank or just really pisses them off.

Bombing and dying decrease the rank, so pick up as many bomb fragments as you can and bomb like hell.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:55 am 

shmuppyLove wrote:
From what I remember in playing the arrange PS2 mode, the biggest things that crank your rank (tm) are medals and weapon pickups.

Can't remember if destorying parts of bosses increases the rank or just really pisses them off.

Bombing and dying decrease the rank, so pick up as many bomb fragments as you can and bomb like hell.

Bombing decreases rank?!? :shock:

Wow. That changes everything. I've been practicing using no bombs so I can land 2 hadous on the 2nd boss...because I hate it's soul. Guess I should try a new tactic. :?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:29 am 

No no no, he was talking about the Arrange version only, not the regular game. Arrange is a fairly different beast where you have a rank gauge that you can control with bombing, as opposed to the Garegga-style rank where bombing is bad, and excessive shooting, picking up power items, milking bosses... The rank mechanics aren't as well known as for Garegga or Batrider, but check this post here for details.

Most of the information is on the high scores threads here and on Cave-STG, rather scattered across multiple posts unfortunately. There's also Archer's (WR holder) run on Youtube if you want to see a superplay, and other a bit more accessible replays from forum members.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:11 am 

Autofire as much as you want. It's expected and barely does shit over the entire game. You have to try very hard to make the rank vary much with auto.

Offline Profile