STGT'12 Week 2: V-V

Gus

Re: STGT'12 Week 2: V-V

Post by Gus »

The comparison to Japanese superplayers doesn't really work since those guys play for a hell of a lot longer than 10 hours spread out over 1 week.
ebarrett

Post by ebarrett »

The comparison to Japanese superplayers also doesn't really work since those are Arcadia scores and therefore verified.
NTSC-J

Post by NTSC-J »

ebarrett wrote:The comparison to Japanese superplayers also doesn't really work since those are Arcadia scores and therefore verified.
Also, not all arcades can submit scores to Arcadia, only officially approved ones. I don't know what it takes to get "licensed" but I would image that the operators make sure to keep everything defaulted and have someone on staff that can verify the scores.

I've seen the magic happen a couple of times, most recently when a guy got the new WR for Rayforce. When he finished his run, he notified the arcade manager who came by with his binder of nutty scores, talked to the guy for a bit, then wrote everything down. It was neat to see how it all plays out in person and how humble of a process it actually is. No groupies, no crowds, no "three cheers for this nerd!" or any of the fanfare one might expect following such inhuman feats. Just a couple of us geeks nodding our heads approvingly and exchanging the "hey, that was alright" look back and forth.
Jaimers

Post by Jaimers »

Plasmo wrote: The WR is 36,8mill. There's still plenty of room. An extra 800k doesn't sound that much.
Yeah but nobody knows where those missing millions came from. That's why I asked if there was a trick, currently 800k more is absurdly huge.

I don't really care for his reasons but if you're just going to keep on making empty promises than you're just being an asshole.
Smraedis

Post by Smraedis »

I'm much more amazed by scores when seeing them myself, it's much less interesting if I know I won't be seeing it, you know like TG "records".

Once I started uploading videos onto YouTube, I got called a cheater a lot, even though I do a load of live runs over here, but those people didn't know this. I think every good player will have some accusations, as some people are always better than others.

Do I think there are cheaters at STGT? yeah I do, but I don't care about them.
The Unknown? I'm the one who knows!
My shmup achievements | and my Superplays!
Gus

Post by Gus »

Jaimers wrote:
Plasmo wrote: The WR is 36,8mill. There's still plenty of room. An extra 800k doesn't sound that much.
Yeah but nobody knows where those missing millions came from. That's why I asked if there was a trick, currently 800k more is absurdly huge.

I don't really care for his reasons but if you're just going to keep on making empty promises than you're just being an asshole.
If you're serious I think Gemant is probably your guy to ask. He lists a 35m replay as existing in his old WR document.
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Gemant can sometimes be worse than sikraiken when it comes to releasing replays. Not to mention that they aren't his own ones of course.
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Plasmo wrote:The WR is 36,8mill. There's still plenty of room. An extra 800k doesn't sound that much.
Doesn't vanilla V-V have the 50mil bonus for no-missing both loops?
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
Chaos Phoenixma

Post by Chaos Phoenixma »

That's probably the bomber version. I'm not sure how the bonuses work on that.

For something like MAME or Touhou where it's stupidly easy to record a replay, I'd be doing so for runs where I had chances to score high. Sadly, I don't have a capture card though, so there won't be a replay of my eventual 80 million Normal Default Ship or Hard Default Ship 1cc on Judgment SilverSword, both of which are definitely on my goals list for next year. But for MAME stuff, I'd definitely be recording high score attempts if I was competant enough to get a high score. And I know I'll be recording replays for my other goal for next year, though I'll still need to check replays and savestate practice first. Oh, and I'd actually release the replays if I got a great score.
ShadowWraith

Post by ShadowWraith »

probably just from more search use.
stanski

Post by stanski »

Gus wrote:The comparison to Japanese superplayers doesn't really work since those guys play for a hell of a lot longer than 10 hours spread out over 1 week.

^^^^^+1

Again you are making the false assumption I think its inhumanly possible to do what sik is doing, that has nothing to do with why he is a cheater in my mind. It has to do with the way he interacts on this board in the manner consistent with what I've seen from cheats in the past and that he "snipes" scores just barely at the end of weeks so often. He's straight up a cheater and I know he has 0 respect from many great players out there who feel the same as me but might not post publicly on a forum about it.
RNGmaster

Post by RNGmaster »

The only reason I really participate in STGT is because with many of these games, there isn't that much info about the scoring system/ there isn't a WR-tier replay available to the Western audience. STGT, with its frantic pace, encourages players to dig up every single scoring trick that they possibly can and delve deep into the game mechanics. Top players aren't simply sharing their replays for verification, they're doing it so the whole community benefits.

If sikraiken releases some 70m+ score this week, I want to watch it to see exactly HOW he managed it. Withholding replays doesn't just cast doubt on his achievements, it makes the entire community poorer because all the people who might want to score well have one less replay to follow.
gbaplayer

Post by gbaplayer »

me and my best friend we played v-v (pcb) yesterday for 2 hours and after a lot of credits we finally came to the boss of level 4.
think we play through that game finally this week.

its a hard but very fun trip, awesome game.
My PCB Collection (2): Cyvern, R-Type Leo