shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:13 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: RQ: Cave secret lives and strategies for getting them.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:46 pm 

It's pretty much a given now that each Cave game has a hidden extra life somewhere. I wanted to compile a list of the location and stategy for getting each of them. There are a few games I don't have/don't know so I need some help.

Donpachi - ?
Dodonpachi - Stage 3 ship
Esprade - Stage 4 subway
Guwange - ?
Dangun Feveron - ?
Progear - ?
Dodonpachi Dai-ou-jou - Stage 4 cannon
Ketsui - ?
Espgaluda - Stage 3 Glassy orb between cannons
Mushihimesama - Stage 3 bug head
Ibara - ?

I'm particularly interested in hearing some stratgies for Mushi's bug head. I'm finding it really hard to get that extra life as the parts on the side are pretty viscious in Maniac mode and their fire is giving me a lot of problems. I assume you can't use a bomb on this part, but perhaps I'm mistaken. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:52 pm 

Moved to Strategy.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: RQ: Cave secret lives and strategies for getting them.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:07 pm 

8 1/2 wrote:

I'm particularly interested in hearing some stratgies for Mushi's bug head. I'm finding it really hard to get that extra life as the parts on the side are pretty viscious in Maniac mode and their fire is giving me a lot of problems. I assume you can't use a bomb on this part, but perhaps I'm mistaken. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You can use a bomb and it'll still give you the 1up; at least it does in Original mode.

There are two 1ups in Ketsui, the 1st one is the 3rd stage midboss: destroy all parts of it (all the guns/pods/towers etc) without bombing and the boss will release a 1up upon death. Someone else will have to describe the 5th stage 1up, as I've never gotten it.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:58 pm 

errr I thought the 5th stage 1UP was released by killing both EVAC helicopters? I have never NOT gotten it, but the second helicopter (Panzer Jager) will drop the 1UP. This is before the mid-boss.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:09 pm 

Mushihimesama - Stage 3, just start on one side destroying all 4 things(?) and go to the other. The bullets will converse on the point where you are when initially fired so if you move a bit in either direction, they are easily avoided.

Progear - Stage 4, mid-way through the level there is a huge tank (mid-boss) followed by 2 smaller tanks. Destroy the mid-boss, wait for the second small tank to appear, destroy it first, then immediately move to the bottom of the screen and destroy the first small tank before it disappears. As far as I know, you can't bomb.

ESPrade - Stage 4, there are 2 subway trains near the beginning of the level, first one on the left, then the right, the last traincar on the right has a 1-up. The only hard thing here is the right train tends to disappear fast, so if you're dodging/scoring and you misjudge the time you have, you might miss it because you didn't position yourself.

Dodonpachi DOJ - Stage 4, at the first huge cannon (mid-level) there are two smaller cannons on each side. Destroy these first then the big one. You can use a laser bomb on the smaller cannons, but not on the big one.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:19 pm 

Dangun Feveron-
-The 1up will appear after you get 2200 disco men. It only appears at certain locations, so you might have to wait a bit for it to show up.

Guwange-
-Destroy the weird statue in the bottom-right corner of stage 3.
-Destroy the stage 4 mid-boss with your spirit.
-There's another couple health items in the final stage which I think are covered in another topic here.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:35 pm 

DDP is just shooting all the capsule things on the side and not bombing any of them, IIRC.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 4:04 am 

Valgar wrote:
errr I thought the 5th stage 1UP was released by killing both EVAC helicopters? I have never NOT gotten it, but the second helicopter (Panzer Jager) will drop the 1UP. This is before the mid-boss.

If you use bombs to destroy the large buildings, or tanks before the helicopters, I think it cancels the 1-up.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:15 am 

Venom wrote:
Valgar wrote:

If you use bombs to destroy the large buildings, or tanks before the helicopters, I think it cancels the 1-up.

I checked some videos and players use bombs during the stage and still get the 1-UP. Maybe if you bomb the helicopters? There is a replay where a player is stuck in the corner fighting the Panzer Jager, and it is obviously a bombing moment, but he refuses and just dies.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:24 pm 

Valgar, I'm pretty sure it's if you use a bomb to destroy one of the large buldings that shoots the linear blue laser attack, or the 2 large tanks later, or the helis the 1up is lost. You can test it to see which, though as you're trying no miss/no bomb it doesn't really matter.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:56 pm 

It is still important to know because the second loop I WILL bomb like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

The 1-UP is surely needed since you only get 9 lives in the entire game. I just watched a video where he bombs the large building and still gets the 1-up. I think it is the helicopters.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:59 am 

In Ibara, you can get a 1UP from the fourth stage midboss. Just destroy all the turrets and decorative parts that adorn the body of the midboss before destroying the core.
(Unknown Demonstration Player, using Dyne: WMV, 9MB)

In Donpachi, you tackle the fourth stage giant battleship the same way you do in Dodonpachi, by destroying everything on the battleship - turrets, boxes etc. The main bridge section that appears at the end of the battleship, that fires all sorts of evil spray patterns, will drop the 1UP when destroyed.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:38 pm 

Valgar wrote:
I just watched a video where he bombs the large building and still gets the 1-up. I think it is the helicopters.

i think it's only the 2 tanks and the heli that must be done without bombing. you have to kill the heli AFTER the tanks.

for guwange cf. the other thread (edited):
Stage 3 - Where the scrolling changes from hori to vert, there are 4 statues in the corner. One of them looks different from the others. Shooting all of them will get you a random item, but if you start with the odd one you're guaranteed a life item (1 bar)
you have to destroy it first

Stage 4 - Kill the big worm thing with your demon (1 bar)
it doesn't matter if you hit it with normal shot as long as the kill is with the demon.

Stage 5 - There's a bomb on the roof of the boss's house

Stage 6
- At the beginning of the area with spiders behind a wall, one of the spiders drops a 1/2 life bar item if killed with the demon. It might be the 2nd or 3rd one.
- At the end of the same area, one spider drops a full life item if killed with the demon. (last one or 2nd-last)
you have to kill the spiders behind the fence relatively fast (don't let any of them escape)
- The wagons pulled by oxen will drop bombs if killed w/o bomb use
- At the first boss form, the green flame on the left drops a 1 life bar item. The one on the right drops a bomb. you have to kill them with your demon.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:15 am 

In Ketsui the extra life is in Stage 3 when you blow up the big ship without bombing.

Apparently there is an order to it - its in the Ketsui strategy.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:06 am 

ill6 wrote:
In Ketsui the extra life is in Stage 3 when you blow up the big ship without bombing.

Apparently there is an order to it - its in the Ketsui strategy.

no, there is no order; you just have to make sure you get the big explosions (when the screen trembles) on the back and front parts.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:20 am 

for mushihime maniac head

yes there are 4 things from each side, they shot as follow : 1, 2, 3 then 4

first don't move and once 4 has shot move a bit, and again...

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:18 pm 

I have no idea what to call it, but the extra life in Donpachi is on stage 4, towards the middle-end. Destroy the big thing in the middle without dying, basically.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:52 am 

Could someone please explain in detail how you get the 1up on Progear please? It's on the Progear thread, but I don't follow it! :?

Cheers!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:57 am 

Anarchos wrote:
I have no idea what to call it, but the extra life in Donpachi is on stage 4, towards the middle-end. Destroy the big thing in the middle without dying, basically.

On the second huge ship you are flying over (which is about 2/3 the way through the level) there will be a large box in the middle of the screen at the very end of the ship. You have to destroy this by shooting or using a laser. If you destroy it by using a bomb or a laser bomb, there will be no 1up.

The 1up does not appear on 2-4.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:36 am 

~Kid Icarus~ wrote:
Could someone please explain in detail how you get the 1up on Progear please? It's on the Progear thread, but I don't follow it! :?

Cheers!

Stage 4, mid-way through the level there is a huge tankcopter (mid-boss) followed by 2 smaller tanks. Destroy the mid-boss, wait for the second small tank to appear, destroy it first, then immediately move to the bottom of the screen and destroy the first small tank before it disappears. As far as I know, you can't bomb.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:48 am 

Cool, thanks very much! :D

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:35 pm 

Nemo wrote:
~Kid Icarus~ wrote:

Cheers!

Stage 4, mid-way through the level there is a huge tankcopter (mid-boss) followed by 2 smaller tanks. Destroy the mid-boss, wait for the second small tank to appear, destroy it first, then immediately move to the bottom of the screen and destroy the first small tank before it disappears. As far as I know, you can't bomb.

hmmmmm....played it again just now and I don't see where the tanks you need to destroy are? Is the 1up exclusive to the JPN version perhaps?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:42 pm 

~Kid Icarus~ wrote:
hmmmmm....played it again just now and I don't see where the tanks you need to destroy are? Is the 1up exclusive to the JPN version perhaps?

I'm pretty sure it's in both versions. Let's try some visuals (Jp version)...

About midway through the stage you'll see a large tank enemy on a set of tracks:

As you're fighting this big bastard, you'll notice 2 more sets of tracks in the background. That's where you'll see 2 smaller track tanks:

You need to take out the top tank first, then quickly try to destroy the bottom one before it leaves the screen:

And voilĂ !

Honestly, getting this 1-up is a bit tricky (for me anyway). I'd estimate I kill myself 4 out of 5 times trying to get this :?

Also, I'm not 100% percent sure if using a bomb has anything to do with triggering the 1-up. I'll usually toss a bomb at the large tank to get it out of the way.

UPDATE: Just tried the US rev and it is indeed there as well.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 5:01 am 

My trick is to do a little damage to the 1st tank, move right below the 2nd tank's highest line of fire, destroy the 2nd tank and then destroy the 1st tank.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:42 pm 

NRS, thanks very much that's a massive help. Earleir on Nemo described it as a Tank Copter so I was thinking it's the bit where you fight the...well....the tank copter that also appears in Stage 3. You know the 'copter with the little tanks? :P

Anyway, cheers! :D

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:23 pm 

No problem! Glad I was able to help you out.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:10 pm 

Ketsui Stage 3 - Defeat ALL parts of the Midship boss (including the very front and very back, turret AND ship structure [keep shooting it til it blows up and cannot take any more damage] as it scrolls before blowing up the middle part to make the middle boss life bar appear) WITHOUT using any bombs. This includes using a bomb to clear out the secondary ships that scroll in on the left side and support the larger mid boss. If you beat the midboss (destroying all the parts and lowering the life bar to zero), then the 1-up will appear.

Ketsui Stage 5 - The first two clone ships (they look like the tiger schwert and panzer jager) that show up before reaching the EVAC front door building in background (that you ultimately scroll over and leads you to the next reverse scrolling area "down the tube"). One is Blue and one is Red. If you defeat both of them back to back without using a bomb on either of them (solely by locking on and shooting), the second ship upon exploding will drop a life. Later on inside the Evac base, you'll fight a number of the clone ships back to back, but none of these have the one up.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:57 am 

Generally, my tact for stage 1-3 extend is to destroy all parts, but before putting midboss to the last phase ( blue and red bullets ), I wait and destroy approaching smaller ship. This way I won't have to dodge too much and I can concentrate on dodging the pattern. Not to mention, with quick moves, I can get 5-chips out of midboss explosion by destroying couple popcorns before midboss explodes.

On 1-5 extend, it should not be too hard to dodge.

And on both extends, do not bomb at all. It is better lose a life and gain it back, rather than just bomb.

( Ps. Those helicopters are not clones. You are actually flying a stolen EVAC-helicopter. )

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:24 am 

Quote:
If you defeat both of them back to back without using a bomb on either of them

True, but you can bomb after you've destroyed the first one (before the second appear) clearing most of the area and making it easier to kill the second.

Offline Profile