Problem with Sync Strike and scaler

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Nodoyuna

Problem with Sync Strike and scaler

Post by Nodoyuna »

Hi
I'm new here (just registered this morning)
I have a complete scaler kit from arcade forge, with Sync Striker, CGA2VGA Scaler and SLG 3000.
The first input is to connect old consoles via RGB Scart, like SNES, N64...
The output of the SLG3000 goes to a 4:3 PC Monitor via VGA.

It usually this setting has worked fine so far (I have it for several weeks, and I'm trying all my collection with it), but recently, I've encountered a couple issues, that I don't know if can be solved somehow.

I'll try to explain the best I can (english is not my language)

1) If I plug a N64 or Saturn, there is this problem: some games of these and other consoles use to had an intro screen or more, done in high resolution. For these games, I can't see these screens, although some of the games actually works besides that (because the game itself is in "low resolution") When the screen in high resolution comes, the monitor screen says "NO SIGNAL", as if nothing was connected. So far, older consoles than N64 works fine. But this problem with high resolution screens can be solved? Maybe replacing any of the devices? Or plugin an additional device? I'm really a novice in all this video stuff, so I'm much more than lost ...

2) If I plug a PAL device via RGB Scart, the screen is not completely full, and there is a portion of the screen showing garbage. I've tried a region modded console and it works the same, screen partial for PAL and full for NTSC. I suposse this is because all of these stuff are made thinking on NTSC signals. Anyway, I'd like to know if there is someway to avoid this, or make the PAL to fill the screen...

We'll that's all, thanks in advance for the answers
fagin

Re: Problem with Sync Strike and scaler

Post by fagin »

You're not the first person who has said this about certain consoles and certain parts of certain games.

Just to reduce any confusion with your wording (for anybody else looking at this).... we're / you're referring to interlaced output as the "high resolution". This is basically fake hi-res, as it's still 15khz as opposed to 31khz.

On the face of it the issue appears to be one of an issue with the sync (from console to scaler)..... why, I'm not sure I understand myself, but I believe it can follow a bright screen and/or screen flash. I suspect some irregularity with the sync frequency is causing the problem. I can't see it being anything else.

To enable us to understand and possibly provide you some objective feedback, I think we really need to know some specific examples of scenarios (console, game and at what specific point etc).
fagin

Post by fagin »

Nodoyuna wrote:2) If I plug a PAL device via RGB Scart, the screen is not completely full, and there is a portion of the screen showing garbage. I've tried a region modded console and it works the same, screen partial for PAL and full for NTSC. I suposse this is because all of these stuff are made thinking on NTSC signals. Anyway, I'd like to know if there is someway to avoid this, or make the PAL to fill the screen...
Sorry... I missed this question.

PAL 50hz is renowned for the borders on consoles/games. You can't do anything about this with the set-up you have..... although you do have some geometry controls with your scaler but they're limited.
Nodoyuna

Post by Nodoyuna »

Fagin, thanks for the answer...
To enable us to understand and possibly provide you some objective feedback, I think we really need to know some specific examples of scenarios (console, game and at what specific point etc).
I've tried modded SNES and PC Engine without any problems so far.
Now, if I plug a modded N64 via SCART RGB to the Sync, the "problem" appears. Of course, if I plug the N64 directly to the TV set, there are no problem at all. So I don't think it's a problem related to the mod itself. BTW, the console is NTSC Japan.

Specifically, the game "Star Wars - Rogue Squadron" presents this problem. It seems the game is in "interlaced" mode, so there is nothing shown in the screen, it only says "NO SIGNAL". The game is running, because the sound is working fine.

On other games, the intro screen is not shown, but the game itself is, so it's playable, altough you can't see the menus and other stuff.

I hope I've explained a little better :)

Thanks
fagin

Post by fagin »

Nodoyuna wrote:Fagin, thanks for the answer...
I've tried modded SNES and PC Engine without any problems so far.
Now, if I plug a modded N64 via SCART RGB to the Sync, the "problem" appears. Of course, if I plug the N64 directly to the TV set, there are no problem at all. So I don't think it's a problem related to the mod itself. BTW, the console is NTSC Japan.

Specifically, the game "Star Wars - Rogue Squadron" presents this problem. It seems the game is in "interlaced" mode, so there is nothing shown in the screen, it only says "NO SIGNAL". The game is running, because the sound is working fine.

On other games, the intro screen is not shown, but the game itself is, so it's playable, altough you can't see the menus and other stuff.

I hope I've explained a little better :)

Thanks
My NTSC N64 is "tucked away" in the garage at the moment, so I have no idea when I will be able to "get to it". The N64 is notorious for having RGB MOD issues. It has to be done right, else you can get all sorts of issues with sync and colour vibrancy. Unfortunately CRT TV's are a lot less sensitive than scalers. It only takes a minute amount to be "off spec" to ensure your signal falls outside tolerances expected by the scaler device you're using.

I would suggest your sync signal needs amplifying to resolve.
Nodoyuna

Post by Nodoyuna »

I would suggest your sync signal needs amplifying to resolve
So maybe the cable is the wrong one?

Do you know of any cable that can be used to resolve this? I'm not into soldering or something like that, as I don't have the knowledge to do it ...

Thanks in advance
fagin

Post by fagin »

Nodoyuna wrote:
I would suggest your sync signal needs amplifying to resolve
So maybe the cable is the wrong one?

Do you know of any cable that can be used to resolve this? I'm not into soldering or something like that, as I don't have the knowledge to do it ...

Thanks in advance
The mod is internal and shouldn't be reliant on the cable, off the top of my head - I would need to look into it.
Nodoyuna

Post by Nodoyuna »

Oh, I see...

I thought you were talking about the cable... So maybe the mod is not well done...?
DannySuzy07

Post by DannySuzy07 »

Hi im new to this my sync strike don't work with my cga/ega/yuv/vga and sl3000 with my original xbox, im using it for emulators, any help i would be greatfull.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

DannySuzy07 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:11 pm Hi im new to this my sync strike don't work with my cga/ega/yuv/vga and sl3000 with my original xbox, im using it for emulators, any help i would be greatfull.
The sync strike is just a device for converting composite video to composite sync. Composite video is Chroma (color info) and Luma (basically a black and white image which includes the sync pulses). Composite Sync is just the sync pulses. Some Monitors have a hard time using Composite Video as sync and require you to strip the Composite Sync info out and just use that

The Sync Strike does not alter the input signal in any other way. Whatever you put into it (other than the sync) is what you are getting out of it.

The other thing you need to know is that the Arcade Forge people haven't done any support on this forum in many, many years, I think since about 2015-16. They were somewhat active on Facebook after that, but I don't know if they still are or not.

If you want help on this forum, you should make a new post in Hardware, and write down very carefully what your whole setup is and what you are trying to accomplish. It's best not to assume anyone just "knows" what you are trying to do.