RQ: Gradius I (SOMEBODY HELP ME)

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
Aquas

Post by Aquas »

For the maoi stage, (and I find this works in most of the maoi stages) you want to find a safe spot next to a rock platform or where the maoi cheerioes arent coming at you. Find that spot, and wait for the screen to scroll. You'll want to do this when you have to rush through certain sections where there are too many maoi heads to manage by flying in normally. If you do it right, with a bit of skill, you hold back till most of the screen is scrolled ahead, then you rush in past the maoi heads, defend for about 4 seconds, then fly through quickly again to take cover at the middle of the next rock platform.
STG Weekly!, 1cc's, twitch, XBL: DJ Aquazition
The in-game papers prove that being the paperboy is actually a position of the greatest importance,
ranking alongside top elected officials for notoriety. -Ed Oscuro
Aguraki

Re: RQ: Gradius I (SOMEBODY HELP ME)

Post by Aguraki »

Hi there,this topic is perfect for random questions it seems so let's go:

1)How many loops are there in Gradius?(I suppose endless but not sure)
2)How difficulty evolves throughout loops?
_meaning when does the difficulty max up(if it ever does)
3)differences between versions?(I know about the warps in NES version,but more about loops)

thx for enlighting me :D
Aquas

Post by Aquas »

1 and 2) Endless, I imagine the difficulty maxes at loop 10 like most of the Gradius arcade titles. Bullets fly from destroyed enemies in loop 2 and beyond. Even more bullets are added on enemy ship destruction on each successive loop.

3) Arcade version has no warps... I haven't played many versions of Gradius 1 besides Arc and NES, myself.
STG Weekly!, 1cc's, twitch, XBL: DJ Aquazition
The in-game papers prove that being the paperboy is actually a position of the greatest importance,
ranking alongside top elected officials for notoriety. -Ed Oscuro
dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 »

The easiest way through the first stage is to follow Konami's instructions. If you guys haven't pirated their shooting best series you really should.

3 options + Laser + Missile = Sit still with your options in front of you and blow the rocks away. For Added protection, shift Vic Viper down about 1 Option length.

Hold Fire and use your other hand to mash missile, you shouldn't be moving during this.

I think Gradius 1 doesn't have a loop limit in terms of how hard it gets. I once turned invincibility on in mame and let it run, the 48th loop looked a lot harder than the 47th to be perfectly honest with you.

No warps in Arcade Version. PC Engine version should be perfect port of Arcade version, just 3 shades of gray grayer. NES version is a bastardization of Gradius. Pay no attention to that Gradius.

Mame has like 3 frames of lag in Arcade Gradius. Play it on a PS1 or PSP instead.
Aguraki

Post by Aguraki »

It's working with laglessMAME(tried with the 0.99) but I'm not good enough to see if there is a difference yet.
Any idea of the lag in a PS1 emulator?
I use one but don't know about the specifics.
i.e would it be better to play gradius on MAME(or laglessMAME) or on PS1 emulator?

About the volcano,going top right of the screen really seem to be the easiest way(as said shmupper gs68),although you miss on points for the rocks maybe?(gradius isn't much about the score tho)

no idea what is konami best shooting series(is that a PSX compilation?),couldn't find anything about that.

One more thing after reading about the increasing difficulty,anyone knows of the world record?
saucykobold

Post by saucykobold »

Aguraki wrote:About the volcano,going top right of the screen really seem to be the easiest way
If you hide from the rocks, you'll miss out on a ton of easy points. Here's the proper positioning:

One more thing after reading about the increasing difficulty,anyone knows of the world record?
In Japan, 10 million is regarded as the world record for a lot of older, multi-looping games (Gradius, Salamander, Kyukyoku Tiger, etc.). Much better than encouraging players to sit at an arcade for two days straight, imo. If I remember correctly, it takes about six hours to hit 10 mil in Gradius.
R-Gray 1

Post by R-Gray 1 »

Monkey_Man wrote:Since the very first time I played Gradius I, the game that had been described to me by many as "orgasmic" and "mindblowing" and "I get off to it, but don't tell anybody", I've been plagued with a horrible disease. I think I'm the only one who has it. There aren't any support groups or anything.

I've never beaten the first level.

And it's not even the boss that gets me. It's those stupid rocks next to those stupid rock volcano things. I don't really know what they are, but they pain me to no end.

So, is there something I'm missing, or is it just really hard?

I played Pc engine version and Nes version
I can say the volcano is harder in Nes version. its not hard if ur ship have many upgrades ( option/multiple, shield)
Its a great game i have beaten this game in Pc engine emu.
MEGAMANXPERTSico
Banned User

Post by MEGAMANXPERTSico »

Million monkeys OR monkey lies? Anyway:

Stage 1:get 2 speedups and the laser,get options after that until full.
go over/under the volcanoes before they erupt
retreat,leaving the options near the volcanoes.
Fire when volcano erupts,you will be away and the options will shield you from all the little lava bits.

Moai stage:try placing options "inside" a moai to destroy it faster by moving on front of it,use bombs when options are over moai to insta-KO them.
Try to pick on a specific moai,but place options around yourself to shield yourself from those destructible bullets.

Enlightened yet?
No "signature" is found in our database.