Video Game Artwork

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
BIL

Re: Video Game Artwork

Post by BIL »

Rather than a conventional instruction booklet, FC Double Dragon III includes a bona fide mini manga. Image Covers the prologue in realistic proportions, plus all moves/modes in SD - what a lovely touch! I'd seen instruction mangas before (MGS2's comes to mind) but only as part of a larger booklet.

Scans from The Double Dragon Dojo, see the manga's page for translations (they also have some very cool interviews re DD4 and Advance).
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Holy damn that's awesome. I want late 80s/early 90s Japan back!
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Tacky lettering, but is it fierce.

The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Wasn't Death Tank Zwei a hidden game on Quake for the Saturn? Or was it Duke Nukem?
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
Pretas
Banned User

Post by Pretas »

Stevens wrote:Wasn't Death Tank Zwei a hidden game on Quake for the Saturn? Or was it Duke Nukem?
It was hidden in Duke 3D on Saturn. There were two ways to unlock it: have a save file for Saturn Quake (which was also ported by Lobotomy), or destroy every single toilet in the game.

It's worth noting that Saturn Quake has four new maps made by Lobotomy that were never ported to PC or included in any other release of the game.
BIL

Post by BIL »

N... Norris Thing-Kun?!

Masterful combo of Beatles moptop, exo-briefs and shredding metal
BIL

Post by BIL »

Oh y helo thar Image Naughty Hudson Bee!

(hopefully not IS MAN BABY Image)
drauch

Post by drauch »

I've neglected N64 too frequently. This looks awesome. IS it awesome?
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
BIL

Post by BIL »

No idea, just stumbled across it on ebay. I think it's a party game or some shit - maybe a sexeh Mario Party knockoff? Title is "Getter Love." (Hudson Bee is thinking GETTER ASS ;3 )

I really like Japanese N64 boxes in theory - they're quite large and substantial-feeling, and portrait-oriented with none of the intrusive NTSCU/PAL bordering. Haven't found any with particularly stunning art though (in all seriousness the one above is the most striking I've seen in a while). I like the vibrant Rumble Pak reissues of SM64 and Wave Race on a sentimental level, but they're just the usual renders. Ocarina, Majora and Sin & Punishment all look pretty neat but not GOAT tier. Neither is F-Zero X, but its teeth-baring mugshot fury does flatten the boring overseas box. The first Dracula 64 probably would look good if it'd gone with Yasuomi Umetsu's character art and not crummy renders! Grr!

Oh, and Wonder Project J2 looks really good. Probably the best I've seen. Not one I'm likely to ever own though.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Yeah, looks like a babe party game! My kind of sleaze-fest! Looks pretty simple too for my noobish J-skillz. :mrgreen:

Such a sucker for garbage. :oops:
BIL

Post by BIL »

I just realised the bird on Wonder Project J2's cover is blatantly flashing asshole at the viewer. :\ (that's the literal bird for my fellow Britlandish members)
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

The way out is cut off

apatheticTurd

Post by apatheticTurd »

The promotional poster for Armored Core: Project Phantasma is pretty metal. Dat Shoji Kawamori mecha design.

Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

"I'm, like, whatever."

Though off-topic, but I have a soft spot for this one:

The way out is cut off

MOSQUITO FIGHTER

Post by MOSQUITO FIGHTER »

Ok, so this is the best 360 cover. Not that there is a lot of competition. What happened to all the cool cover art?

Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Exo Squad was a dope fucking cartoon. Too bad they never finished the series.
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Recently learned about M.U.L.E.. The box art is amazing.

[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
cicada88

Post by cicada88 »

recently posted on the Game & Graphics blog

I love a lot of these early Capcom Fighting Game full roster packed into one image style artwork

*not 100% sure if this official artwork or fan made (after seeing the reebok / converse / new balance trademarks on the shoes)--either way amazing
Last edited by cicada88 on Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Ruldra wrote:Recently learned about M.U.L.E.. The box art is amazing.
So cool.

I went looking for the NES version's cover, remembering it being some totally generic Buck Rogers-alike, but it's actually kinda rad too!

cicada88 wrote:*not sure if this is fan made actually come to think of it (after seeing the reebok / converse / new balance trademarks on the shoes)
Pretty sure that's official artwork by either Akiman or Bengus, heroic legends of Capcom's golden age.

Last edited by BIL on Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blackoak

Post by blackoak »

Kinu Nishimura (capcom illustrator) interview I finished the other day: http://shmuplations.com/kinunishimura
shmuplations.com - translated game developer interviews and more
support shmuplations on patreon!
drauch

Post by drauch »

^Awesome. I'll have to read more in detail when I get home. He's done a lot of my favorite Capcom works. Always loved the SNK Vs Capcom babes one. :mrgreen:
cicada88

Post by cicada88 »

great work as usual blackoak
Leandro

Post by Leandro »

drauch wrote:^Awesome. I'll have to read more in detail when I get home. He's done a lot of my favorite Capcom works. Always loved the SNK Vs Capcom babes one. :mrgreen:
Kinu's a woman
options

Post by options »

blackoak wrote: Kinu Nishimura (capcom illustrator) interview I finished the other day:
yes!!! she is easily my favorite game illustrator. I'm especially fond of her contribution to Capcom Vs. SNK; that work had a kind of sketchy completeness to it that I absolutely love (and try to emulate myself). plus it was great to see SNK's characters finally done justice—I'm not a fan of whoever did most of their work.

anyone know if she has any dedicated art books out? (
*edit* just saw the Code of Princess link in the article. any others?)
Last edited by options on Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Leandro wrote:
drauch wrote:^Awesome. I'll have to read more in detail when I get home. He's done a lot of my favorite Capcom works. Always loved the SNK Vs Capcom babes one. :mrgreen:
Kinu's a woman
Aye, oops. My bad. :oops:
BIL

Post by BIL »

After noticing Yuji Kaida (Battle Garegga) was credited on the back cover of MD Daimakaimura's killer boxart, I went looking for info on the artists of the remaining three early years CPS1 ports (Strider, Forgotten Worlds and Senjou no Okami II), and found a pretty cool site:

http://www.boxequalsart.com/index.html

Don't think it's been linked ITT yet. Searched the name and found I'd actually inadvertently linked to it a few times in the Mega Drive thread. It's a bit incomplete-feeling but a fun browse regardless.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

D'oh, I was wrong about Boris doing the original Golden Axe, it's Yoshiaki Yoneshima. That site has a few interesting things, but the front page commentaries are wince-inducing and...Yonshima, seriously? Oh, it's also hard to use, boo.

But it's worth a look...here's another site to help pad out some results:
http://segaretro.org/Category:Cover_artists -> http://segaretro.org/Yoshiaki_Yoneshima

Pulling together some results, it looks like I'm possibly wrong about Phantasy Star (tis unclear whether he just designed or did the art, but...) and its connection to other games - it's credited along with the PSII/End of the Millennium art to Hitoshi Yoneda, and the other games I put in association with it aren't listed.

Also rather interesting that the "Gryzor" art is credited to one Bob Wakelin, so the classic NES boxart is really from an Ocean port to the Commie 64! Wow...that's a mindfuck.

On a totally different tack, here's a collection of posts about Don Michele Falanga, briefly Frank Frazetta's instructor, sort of. Includes some thoughts from Frazetta on his early development.

And Olivia De Berardinis! Bahaha, I think it was one of her packs of girlie playing cards I got scandalized (SCANDALIZED!) by so many years ago.
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Loved this art from the La Mulana manual:

[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
apatheticTurd

Post by apatheticTurd »

Lethal Skies 2 / Sidewinder V has some pretty badass artwork for each mission briefing. Looks like something you'd find on a model kit box (apologies for the bluriness).

Same for the JP box art:

kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

A friend and I are working on a shmup related art blog ---
See my signature;
best viewed in browser.