Redux (DUX 2) (DC/iOS/Steam), Trailer up - PC Demo out

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
psoslayer

Redux (DUX 2) (DC/iOS/Steam), Trailer up - PC Demo out

Post by psoslayer »

Looks like DUX1.5 will finally happen, but even better Redux was just announced via twitter.

http://www.reduxgame.com, http://www.facebook.com/reduxgame, now on Kickstarter!! http://tinyurl.com/73s68lt

update: first screenshot incoming!

update:

The funding goals was just stretched: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/red ... -dreamcast

Code: Select all

• $40,000: EXTRA SHIP WITH NEW WEAPONS (see picture for additional ship mockup!)
• $60,000: ANOTHER STAGE, "DARK PLANET" (see picture background!)

update: Now also pledging via PayPal

Edit: PC demo is out (windows XP/7/Vista/8) -> http://www.reduxgame.com/demo/Redux-Bet ... v1.0.0.zip
Last edited by psoslayer on Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:01 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Matskat

Re: Redux for iOS, and Steam?? (DUX 2)

Post by Matskat »

Woah!

Looks INFINITELY better than the first.

Are they aiming at the DC crowd again?

The first was so hard for me to play. Dunno if it's the colors, the controls or the heavy "euroshmup" feel....

Fuck it, I'm gonna go play a credit or two and see if I can't appreciate it. :)

Maybe magic will happen.....but nevertheless, THIS looks pretty nice.
Mat$kaT
http://matskatcustoms.wordpress.com
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=32709
"This is not similation. Get ready to destoroy the enemy. Target for the weak points of f**kin' machine. Do your best you have ever done."
Op Intensify

Post by Op Intensify »

Looks like this is PC/iPhone only, no Dreamcast.
Zeether

Post by Zeether »

I'm sure it'll have another score bug. :lol:

Steam release though sounds nice.
<Aquas> EDMOND DROPPED OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL TO SMOKE COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF OPIUM
<Zeether> shoe failed college again <croikle> credit feed
xris

Post by xris »

I'm okay with this, absolutely love playing games on my phone. The best handheld I've ever owned. But, good shmups are still few in number. There is a HUGE problem with the swipe speed control that needs to be worked out. It's no longer challenging when I can teleport across the screen to dodge.
Christoph

Re: Redux (DUX 2) for DC/iOS/Steam), Trailer up - Kickstarter

Post by Christoph »

Kickstarter campaign up with trailer - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/red ... -dreamcast

Limited to 1000 copies for Dreamcast
Vyxx
Banned User

Post by Vyxx »

I loved the style of the first DUX so here's hoping it's not significantly different.
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

Christoph wrote:Kickstarter campaign up with trailer - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/red ... -dreamcast

Limited to 1000 copies for Dreamcast
Well, now 'we're talking. :)

But is this the only way to get Dux 1.5? :|
foxyg

Post by foxyg »

How does kickstarter work? Is there a chance that I loose my money?
Casper<3

Post by Casper<3 »

foxyg wrote:How does kickstarter work? Is there a chance that I loose my money?
yes, someone please break down how kickstarter works.

I'm interested in pledging for this one.
bcass

Post by bcass »

Basically, someone starts taking pledges for donations. Once the target indicated on the project page has been reached, the value you pledged is deducted from your card and the project starts. If the project target isn't reached by the end date on the project page, nothing is deducted from your card.
Christoph

Post by Christoph »

Yeah, its simply a way to fund projects directly by the fans.

There are different pledges, at different amounts that will give you different things. Once you pledge, you don't get charged until the campaign is over and successful. So you won't get charged for 29 days if you pledged now.

In other words, you won't get charged at all unless it reaches its goal. So no, there is no way to lose your money. By pledging, you are directly making the project happen. If there aren't enough pledges for it to reach its goal, then the project won't go through.
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

You can technically lose your money although I haven't heard of such an incident before, likely because the creator's reputation would be severely tarnished as a result. If the goal is reached in the given timeframe, then the creator is supposed to create the product and reward you appropriately based on your pledge, but there's no liability within the system if he doesn't do either (although there are always legal avenues). Basically, the creator trusts pledgers to meet the project funding goal and in turn, the pledgers trust the creator to honor promises.

The circumstances for Redux are interesting. Based on the sudden release date, relatively low prices, and lack of design-oriented rewards, it appears as though the developers are using Kickstarter primarily as a distribution method and marketing venue instead of as a true project kickstarter. That's just fine with me (1 year of waiting and $100 for a physical LE are norms for quality kickstarter games from scratch) and speaks well for their progress, so I pledged for the LE.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

After paying full price for Dux, I think I'll wait and see on this one. On the bright side, Steam and iOS releases imply that making any necessary updates will be easier.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

Jeneki wrote:After paying full price for Dux, I think I'll wait and see on this one. On the bright side, Steam and iOS releases imply that making any necessary updates will be easier.
If so then it's a smart move to do the downloadable releases on July and leave the disc to come out in December.
It gives plenty of time to iron out the edges.
daliscar

Post by daliscar »

This does sound exciting but what about the 1.5 patch to fix the original faults in Dux. I thought everyone who bought Dux was promised that patch (on this forum I think too)but the @freshdux twitter account which made that promise has disappeared.
Surely just releasing 1.5 as part of a limited edition bundle breaks that very well documented promise of a patch and cheats all those who bought the original Dux.
TrevHead (TVR)

Post by TrevHead (TVR) »

Oh! it has a Crimson Clover lock on! sweet. I'll make sure to pledge something soon.
Age of Kings

Post by Age of Kings »

I'm going to pledge the $55 for the CD set, but I hope that this is successful and the game will show up on XBL or Steam. This is 2012, I am not buying a game for a defunct console, nor do I care for another mobile shmup.
mrsmiley381

Post by mrsmiley381 »

DUX 1.5 INCLUDED WITH THE LIMITED EDITION:

On top of Redux: Dark Matters, the long awaited DUX 1.5 for Sega Dreamcast is finally here and it is included with the Limited Edition of Redux: Dark Matters. DUX 1.5 is a refined and polished version of the original DUX released in 2009. This is the only time and place it will ever be available! Two new games in one limited edition set!
I guess that answers the question of free patch discs. That being said, I'm always excited for a new Dreamcast game. I'm tempted to get that super exclusive level stick bundle, though the price is rather fucking hefty.
Why is it called the Vic Viper/Warp Rattler? Because the Options trail behind it in a serpent-like fashion, and the iconic front fins are designed to invoke the image of a snake's fangs.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Awesome, Dreamcast release. Totally up for this even though DUX was equal measures confusing and frustrating a lot of the time, albeit really pretty.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

I think it's pretty obvious that NGDev has had a very discernible ramp-up in quality from their early releases to the latest. This looks a bit EDF-ish, or PSO-ish, compared to the likes of GunLord. But very nice all the same. Good lock-on games are rare, anyway (including amongst the ones people think are good). :lol:
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

I want to play this, just not on the Dreamcast, so I'm really hoping the Steam/XBLA release will happen.
Ed Oscuro wrote:I think it's pretty obvious that NGDev has had a very discernible ramp-up in quality from their early releases to the latest.
Technically this isn't an NG:Dev game, it's developed by just RHE, while NG:Dev is RHE + THE + some other people I believe.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

I actually wanted to say RHE, but I didn't realize the difference, thanks.

RHE gave me the business for spreading some misinformation about the scoring bug on another Forum; I thought that a later game had it than did not. I think that early mistake shouldn't haunt him through his whole career, and the mini-USB upgrade port on the GunLord cart shows that (at least for NG:DEV) they are pretty serious about that.

I agree about the Dreamcast. GameCube would be good, though :mrgreen: (heck if I know what I'd do for a controller, however).
daliscar

Post by daliscar »

I guarantee you that this project will never happen.
Just look at the Dux thread:
This guy consistently lied about the release date for Dux.
When the game came it had a scoring bug and forced continues (FORCED CONTINUES!).
When the game was critiscised he promised (several times) an update patch for everyone who'd bought the game but never produced one.
A year later he made a website and a twitter account saying that the update disc was soon to be released and would be free (apart from postage) to people who had bought Dux but now he's taken all that down and replaced it with this.
Like I said just look at the Dux thread and then see if you still believe this bullshit.

Having said that Dux 1.5 would probably be excellent if it ever really existed (which it doesn't) :D
Ghetto Tate

Post by Ghetto Tate »

Nice R-Type ripoff. And by nice I mean not nice.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

daliscar wrote:Just look at the Dux thread
While I didn't want to be the one to bring it up, that thread is the reason why I am "wait and see" with this release.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Friendly

Post by Friendly »

Am I the only one who thinks the reward tiers are a bit off? Even for $55 USD you don't get the game. WTF.
burgerkingdiamond

Post by burgerkingdiamond »

I guess for an enthusiast with some disposable income to burn the $100 tier isn't so bad. But who in their right mind would pledge $1000?
Let's Ass Kick Together!
1CCs : Donpachi (PCB - 1st loop) Dodonpachi (PCB - 1st loop) Battle Bakraid (PCB) Armed Police Batrider (PCB) Mushihimesama Futari 1.5 (360 - Original) Mushihimesama Futari BL (PCB - Original)
Orrpus

Post by Orrpus »

Woah, someone pledged 1.000 $. :shock:
That's amazing.

Btw.: Is Redux a Remake of Dux?
The graphics are improved, there seems to be new music and a new scoring system. But the levels and enemies look very familiar to me.