Castlevania Miscellanies

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
NYN

limitless puns

Post by NYN »

I read that the Vania Advance Collection via LRG are now available?

Anyone here who can share facts concerning messed-up production? Or is it all good? (Soma cover ftw!)
WhatImageeven mean, though?!
Sumez

Re: Castlevania Miscellanies

Post by Sumez »

Objective evaluation of every Castlevania game based on how many directions you can whip, and whether your character knocks back (ie. cheap difficulty)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZbUuSmFgMo

sky-13

Post by sky-13 »

I must be in the minority but I truly think 4 is on the weaker end. The 8 way whip and sub items on R allow you to plow through enemies in a very un-Castlevania way.

I’d personally say:

Rondo > 1 > 3 > X68000 > Bloodlines > 4 > 2 > MSX >>>> Dracula X.

Comparing these to the Igavania is apples to oranges. Definitely don’t agree with Richter mode being the best vintagevania.
WARNING: no refuge
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

sky-13 wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 4:58 pm I must be in the minority but I truly think 4 is on the weaker end. The 8 way whip and sub items on R allow you to plow through enemies in a very un-Castlevania way.

I’d personally say:

Rondo > 1 > 3 > X68000 > Bloodlines > 4 > 2 > MSX >>>> Dracula X.

Comparing these to the Igavania is apples to oranges. Definitely don’t agree with Richter mode being the best vintagevania.
You're not amazed by dangling in place while the room spins around you!?!? :mrgreen: Sumez' post says the opposite of what a literal reading tells you. He shared a vid where someone says "I beat Chronicles in less than three hours on easiest so it's a nice confined experience" and whines about the alternate exits in Rondo of Blood for medical reasons, as a doctor may call over others to look at the horse dildo he found in a patient's stomach.

Your ranking is much more rational.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
SuperDeadite

Post by SuperDeadite »

AVGN has always been rather bad at games. There was a vid of him honestly playing Mario 3, and it was very painful to watch.

Personally I used to hate 4. I have learned to enjoy it, but its very much a game for just chillin and no fucks givin. When I want to play "Castlevania" I don't play 4...

As for me I remembered I had an XSelect-D4 in my closet, so now I've got the Wii hooked up to my arcade monitor (480p component to 31khz rgb) and Adventure Rebirth looks glorious now.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

CV4 is one of the good examples of "casual and chill" game with forgiving checkpoints, infinite continues and the relatively moderate difficulty (not so much on dungeon stage, or clocktower+Slogra). I wouldn't recommend do hard gaming (i.e Nomiss/1CC/Speedruns) on it because there's so much instakill spikes on later stages.

It also has probably the best cinematic setup leading to Drac in all CV imo. You start fighting his 3 guards back to back in a seamless room, then the candles turned on as you walk in when you defeat Death leading to his throne with "Dracula Battle" playing and Theme of Simon on the second phase.
BIL

Post by BIL »

copy-paster wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 5:27 pm CV4 is one of the good examples of "casual and chill" game with forgiving checkpoints, infinite continues and the relatively moderate difficulty (not so much on dungeon stage, or clocktower+Slogra). I wouldn't recommend do hard gaming (i.e Nomiss/1CC/Speedruns) on it because there's so much instakill spikes on later stages.

It also has probably the best cinematic setup leading to Drac in all CV imo. You start fighting his 3 guards back to back in a seamless room, then the candles turned on as you walk in when you defeat Death leading to his throne with "Dracula Battle" playing and Theme of Simon on the second phase.
Nailed it. (staked it? Image)

It's a milder Dracula, for hardcore Treachery Platforming. X68k, Rondo, Vampire Killer, and even troubled XX all comfortably outclass it. Long, ambling, and low-pressure until the last two stages. But it's winningly macabre longform horror, with a haunted gloaming air, and its maturely mellow, brooding OST. The bleak overgrown estate, the indifferently lethal wilderness, the ghoulishly sardonic welcome to the castle proper, with all its fallen splendour and grotesequerie... and of course, "Room of Close Associates" bringing the trek to a roiling evil climax, before Dracula's theme subsumes all in transcendent funereal grace.

Not as extreme, but it reminds me of the relation between Daimakaimura and Demon's Blazon. I'm not gonna put chilled-out eccentric DB in the ring with rippling killer Dai, but I'll sure replay it every couple winters with the fireplace on. Them feels. Image

I'll break my own neck trying to bite my own dick off before watching another of homie's CV nostalgia tourisms. (˘w˘) Funny dude, always liked him, but that also describes my dog, who's a much better judge of moving objects. ;3