Castlevania Miscellanies

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
XoPachi

Re: Castlevania Miscellanies

Post by XoPachi »

cj iwakura wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:40 pm Yeah, that scene was weird as hell, and part of why I wasn't into the disjointed plot of S3/4. S1/2 are far better, and 3/4 shouldn't have even involved the trio from 1/2. The most interesting bits were easily involving Isaac and Hector.
Also, if you want Castlevania music, Nocturne delivers in spades.
I only recall BloodLines. Maybe the new versions were too different for me to notice inbetween dialogue.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

" saddest part is that Richter Belmont is a bait
he shows for 3-4 minutes usually crying/running away or losing battles while all other time you watch fucking Black Panther part 3 about girl and her struggling against racism or vampires lmao

fucking cover art didn't even have her, but she's the main character in the show "

- a different friend.
I won't tell you what country this guy is from :lol:
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

I enjoy Nocturne for what it is, but it's not really as good as the earlier Castlevania show so far.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

I'm not as much of a connoisseur as the usual crowd in here is, but I did stumble upon this recent Steam demo and figured at least some folks might want a whack at it.

EDIT: Also perhaps this one.
NYN

no cannon

Post by NYN »

Vania Legends is now part of Switch Online Game Boy.

I re-read what the topic said about it. Brief: only The Adventure is weaker. OK.
Used up my free trial, so if it comes to paying for it, I might give it a go.
Naw, I won't pay in gold for the cart that holds a mediocre game, and refrain from free uncouth emulation.

Remake that!
WhatImageeven mean, though?!
Austin

Post by Austin »

I'd play Adventure any day of the week over Legends. It's a jankfest but it's at least interesting/challenging. Legends is one of the most boring/tedious action games I have ever played. It's interesting to see it brought back to a modern platform.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

BulletMagnet wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:31 pm EDIT: Also perhaps this one.
Migami Games is the same person behind the Haunted Castle 2, Haunted Castle 3, and LeCarde Chronicles fan games.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Austin wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:45 pm I'd play Adventure any day of the week over Legends. It's a jankfest but it's at least interesting/challenging. Legends is one of the most boring/tedious action games I have ever played. It's interesting to see it brought back to a modern platform.
Adventure and Belmont's Revenge with the walkspeed patch makes the game playable for me. It's available on romhacking.net and supports on all incarnations of the game (it looks beautiful on Konami Collection Vol.1 EU ver, aka the full color edition).
NYN

read only memory

Post by NYN »

Austin wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:45 pm I'd play Adventure any day of the week over Legends.
I met a guy some back, got to talk about Vania. He mentioned how absorbed he was with The Adventure as a young'un. Loved it. I assumed that he would have played something similar in time table, say SUPER IV. No. Never another Vania. No comparison. AND HE LOVED IT...or so he remembers. The power of memory.
SuperDeadite

Post by SuperDeadite »

I honestly love The Adventure. Slow, but so short I never really cared. Good music, crazy level design. Game has a lot going for it.

Adventure 2 is too easy, but the music is one of the best on the system.

Legend = death by boredom.
sky-13

Post by sky-13 »

https://twitter.com/Dr4gonBlitz/status/ ... _&ref_url=
Very arcade-y to have something like this active through the 2nd player.

Wonder if there are more spots that’ll open like this, maybe the Demon Familiar doors.
WARNING: no refuge
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Wow that's super interesting.

And yes, I agree. If this was left in, there's bound to be plenty more like it!
sky-13

Post by sky-13 »

I’m thinking what other “gates” the game has that devs would want to instantly clear.

The gold/silver ring clock room floor certainly comes to mind as well.

Possibly the gear door in the clock tower as well.

Guess in my next replay I’ll have the 2nd player controller in and ready to go at all times.
NYN

reddish orange fever

Post by NYN »

Any word worth sharing about the two Touhou-vanias Koumajou Remilia, which got fresh remasters for Steam and Switch?
I find the regular price steep for what is maybe just mediocre fan-service. Can anybody persuade me?
BIL

Post by BIL »

I never played the first, but the second (Stranger's Requiem) is very good. Handles exceptionally smoothly, basically linear stages via pared-down SOTN Alucard. The danmaku bosses won't be for everyone, but the limited flight mechanics work well, and there's a couple genuine barnburners involving swords and lasers. Outstanding soundtrack! The character art is great too, no Strawberry Shortcake here, and most definitely no cringefest 2hu JO material.
CHOP U.WAV
My only real complaint was a few too many soft-arsed faeries rubbing shoulders with the KVLTic hellknights and werewolves and demons, not to mention letting down those nails-hard boss designs. But their archetypes - archer, lance, etc - are solid, so that's easily forgiven.
Future Jobless Englishman wrote: "Too many soft-arsed faeries," he complained online
^^^ INTERNET ENEMY AMMUNITION CACHE ;3

I'd happily pick up a PS4 version to go with my old Windows copy.
Lander

Post by Lander »

Huh, HARD DETACHED and GOTHIQUE is a surprisingly good look for the soft 'n' derpy TootToot roster. Reimu looks genuinely threatening.

Another prod in the direction of acting on the long-percolating desire to investigate the douijin-y Run2RightAndDanmaku(troid?)Vania subgenre!
BIL

Post by BIL »

Lander wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 4:34 pm Huh, HARD DETACHED and GOTHIQUE is a surprisingly good look for the soft 'n' derpy TootToot roster. Reimu looks genuinely threatening.

Another prod in the direction of acting on the long-percolating desire to investigate the douijin-y Run2RightAndDanmaku(troid?)Vania subgenre!
They're not straight-up R2Rs like Koumajou II, but in addition to my dusty auld recollection of that, Vanguard has contributed some very nice writeups on the Bouhou Koumakyou series. Being a huge fan of their direct inspiration, Falcom's Dragon Slayer IV: DraSle Family, aka Legacy of the Wizard (MSX/FC; the latter a movingly excellent port by Compile, which adds scrolling playfields), I've always had 'em on the back burner.

>Bouhou Koumakyou II / Bouhou Youyomu
>Bouhou Koumakyou III / Scarlet Family 2

R2R_Index reminding me of why it's still important and I need to figure out the update :oops: Image
NYN

cfk here, may I take your order away?

Post by NYN »

Ah, the BIL vouch. Many thanks. :o

Alright, then. Stranger's Requiem remains on my radar.

This helps, actually:
CFK wrote:In addition to the pre-order event in Japan, CFK is planning to release a physical Nintendo Switch™ version of Koumajou Remilia Ⅱ: Stranger's Requiem for fans around the world. Details will be announced at a later date.
Uh, if it isn't some LRG or some such.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Another "tribute" title some folks (i.e. goofballs like myself) might want to keep an eye on.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Here's the demo: https://programancer.itch.io/simon-quest

Edit: checked it out and it's pretty cool. It also has this

which I did not expect.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Oh god.. the NAME of that game hahahah. genius
NYN

what legends are made of

Post by NYN »

After playing the Legends I can concede that it is irritatingly mediocre. Pumping Bloody Tears on stage 1 and establishing too long and uneven design it heineously results in true blue balls as a experience. Which in itself after a less than stellar Adventure and a decent Revenge is a stunning feat, indeed. One has to play it to feel it. Sad. 0h, well.
ryu

Post by ryu »

It's been forever since I last heard anything related to Bloodstained. Is the sequel still happening?
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
sky-13

Post by sky-13 »

ryu wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:09 pm It's been forever since I last heard anything related to Bloodstained. Is the sequel still happening?
Supposedly a sequel to RotN has been in development for a while now.

Currently the spiritual sequel to Simon’s Quest will be paid DLC in the style of Classic Mode.
ryu

Post by ryu »

sky-13 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:50 pm
ryu wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:09 pm It's been forever since I last heard anything related to Bloodstained. Is the sequel still happening?

Currently the spiritual sequel to Simon’s Quest will be paid DLC in the style of Classic Mode.
Yeah it was announced in 2021 and I can't find any news about it with a later date. Seems like a really long time not to come out with any news on the project. It's not like a game like Bloodstained takes half a decade to develop.And apparently that DLC was also announced in 2021. What the hell?
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
sky-13

Post by sky-13 »

ryu wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:24 pm
sky-13 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:50 pm

Yeah it was announced in 2021 and I can't find any news about it with a later date. Seems like a really long time not to come out with any news on the project. It's not like a game like Bloodstained takes half a decade to develop.And apparently that DLC was also announced in 2021. What the hell?
Hard to say, RotN certainly felt like the development may have had a rough patch here and there.

Perhaps they’re completely overhauling the visual style. That’s the biggest criticism I see with RotN.
NYN

blood stains the crystal sheets

Post by NYN »

To hear nothing of another Ritual seems to me the best possible news about it. :twisted:

Mayhap they still have to fulfill the long list of backer obligations before they can produce anything worth showing. The Netpeepholes are relentless after all...
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

As luck would have it an RotN update was just posted today saying the 1.5 update (which adds two new modes) is coming soon along with additional info, so if nothing else they haven't dropped it entirely.
NYN

arm the knight

Post by NYN »

There: The Riddle of the Night answered!
IGA wrote:“In 2024, I’d like to shift my focus to a new title, ” Igarashi said. “To do that, we must first properly wrap up work on Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night. While there is some content still to be released, I believe that we should be able to make a big announcement in 2024. I’d also like to take on new challenges if the opportunity arises.”
Called it, and I don't even care.