DoDonPachi Arrange

A forum for saving and showing off all your hi scores
trap15

DoDonPachi Arrange

Post by trap15 »

Let's not play DoDonPachi Arrange!

I'm no longer accepting scores. Let me know if you open a new board so that I may link it here.

1 credit only, all options default (autofire is default).

Can be downloaded at: http://dodonpachi.daifukkat.su/ddpa/

Scores in the following format please:

Code: Select all

Version String (THE DOTS MATTER!!!)
Name - Score - Type - Stage - Max Hit
For example:

2012/02/12 ARRANGE..
trap15 - 500,000,000 - A-Str - 2-ALL - 999
High score table:

Rank | Name            | Score       | Type   | Stage | Hit
-----|-----------------|-------------|--------|-------|----
1    | ProMeTheus      | 560,267,190 | A-Weak |  2-7  | 887
2    | clp             | 344,038,630 | C-Str  |  2-7  | 834
3    | tinotormed      | 288,956,830 | C-Str  |  2-7  | 836
4    | ptoing          | 242,934,210 | C-Weak |  2-3  | 844
5    | gs68            | 162,994,110 | A-Str  |  2-2  | 752
6    | DJ Incompetent  | 100,160,030 | A-Str  |  2-2  | 529
7    |                 |             |        |       |    
Strong table:

1    | clp             | 344,038,630 | C-Str  | 2-7   | 834
2    | tinotormed      | 288,956,830 | C-Str  |  2-7  | 836
3    | gs68            | 162,994,110 | A-Str  | 2-2   | 752
4    | DJ Incompetent  | 100,160,030 | A-Str  | 2-2   | 529
5    |                 |             |        |       |    
Weak table:

1    | ProMeTheus      | 560,267,190 | A-Weak | 2-7   | 887
2    | ptoing          | 242,934,210 | C-Weak | 2-3   | 844
3    |                 |             |        |       |    
Last edited by trap15 on Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:13 am, edited 14 times in total.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Sasupoika

Re: DoDonPachi Arrange

Post by Sasupoika »

SAS - 413 084 160 - C-Str - ALL - 838

Managed to ALL.
ImageImage
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

??? WTF is that game ???
Scores, replays, videos || I have written a guide about getting good at shmups. Check it out !
Follow me on Twitch??
Chaos Phoenixma

Post by Chaos Phoenixma »

It's a romhack of DoDonPachi which I refuse to deal with.

I managed to find it, but I didn't get it, and I don't plan to play it. From the vid I saw, it completely ruins it. You'd be able to destroy it though pretty easily.
tommyb

Post by tommyb »

Chaos Phoenixma wrote:It's a romhack of DoDonPachi which I refuse to deal with.

I managed to find it, but I didn't get it, and I don't plan to play it. From the vid I saw, it completely ruins it. You'd be able to destroy it though pretty easily.
Then don't play it? It adds a new level of enjoyment to an old game that is beginning to feel stale. It doesn't "ruin" anything, as you can always just play regular DDP as well. It is an "arrange". So, Futari, Galuda, Ibara, DFK, and any other Cave game with an "arrange" mode is completely ruined as well?

Anyway, Trap15, I think Arrange is great. Thanks for releasing this! Hopefully I'll have a decent score to post soon =]
NTSC-J

Post by NTSC-J »

Chaos Phoenixma

Post by Chaos Phoenixma »

The only Arranges I think I actually liked were Galuda II and Pink Sweets.

And I hate the original DoDonPachi, but even then, this still would ruin it even more for me. I do like the other Pachis though, even if I don't like any of the scoring systems. Okay, actually, I might like DFK BL once I actually bother to get into it.
tommyb

Post by tommyb »

Chaos Phoenixma wrote:The only Arranges I think I actually liked were Galuda II and Pink Sweets.

And I hate the original DoDonPachi, but even then, this still would ruin it even more for me. I do like the other Pachis though, even if I don't like any of the scoring systems. Okay, actually, I might like DFK BL once I actually bother to get into it.
So what was the point of even saying anything about this "ruining" DDP if you don't like the original as it is? And if you don't like any arranges at all, why would you even check out DDP Arrange? Ugh. The people on this board sometimes, I swear.
tinotormed

Post by tinotormed »

Arrange? Yes, this is what I've been thinking about after a few years. Might want to give this a try. :D
YT|2nd YT|1ccs|
Good, bad, I'm the guy with the keyboard! Note:Please PM me if you need scores to be updated!
Sapz

Post by Sapz »

Chaos Phoenixma wrote:The only Arranges I think I actually liked were Galuda II and Pink Sweets.

Man come on, you're being a bit of an ass here. Don't play it if you don't like it, but there's no need to shit all over it unprovoked.
STGT '11 - #1 | STGT '12 - #1
NTSC-J

Post by NTSC-J »

Well, to be fair, considering how much money he spent on it he has a right to complain. Or, hold on...

Anyways, my one gripe is how long runs take. Not sure I will ever improve this:

NTSC-J - 434,244,730 - C-str - ALL - 831
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

Bwahaha this is hilarious ! And I mean that in a good way !
The funky palettes, james bond style boss music, the WEAK ship type lol, and the chaining system that goes like "uhh how am I supposed to chain this. Screw it, I'll just bomb or suicide to get it chained !". You can even chain together parts that aren't normally chainable, by spamming bombs or suiciding through the gaps -_-

I think you have made a mistake though if you wanted 4 lives in stock maximum, I was playing around and noticed I seemed to have "infinite" lives, in fact the game was really keeping all of my lives in stock for every 10M. So I played a run focusing on dying as little as possible and finished with 31 spare lives (don't think the game counted them right, should have been something like 38 or 39), for a end bonus of 310M. Playing like this leads you to disregard the playing style with lots of bombs to chain that you seemed to want to encourage because bombs are too precious as lifesavers.

ProMeTheus - 703,044,820 - A-Strong - 2-ALL - 829
Replay : http://www.mediafire.com/?ubpone6iq3vruq6
recorded with WolfMAME99 : http://www.mediafire.com/?eyxyxbgiueg

Also did this "weak" run before lol that was hilarious, it's way too weak it's like the game is trolling you xD

ProMeTheus - 412,120,370 - A-Weak - 2-ALL - 788

Anyway it's a funny little hack, it's nice to see rom hacking taking place in the shmup genre, and on nothing less than DDP itself ! Cool idea dude, and good job !

Maybe one day people will make DDP stage editors and we can make our own levels xD
similar to the Lunar Magic Editor for Super Mario World
Scores, replays, videos || I have written a guide about getting good at shmups. Check it out !
Follow me on Twitch??
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

PROMETHEUS wrote:james bond style boss music
According to trap15, this is an unused tune that's actually contained in the code, so you have Cave composers to thank for that one, heh.
PROMETHEUS wrote:and the chaining system that goes like "uhh how am I supposed to chain this. Screw it, I'll just bomb or suicide to get it chained !". You can even chain together parts that aren't normally chainable, by spamming bombs or suiciding through the gaps -_-
This is a clear throwback to Battle Bakraid. It had a very similar chaining system where you would increase the multiplier and then bomb and suicide to keep it from running out. The beginning of stage 2 is hilarious when the player is awarded with five lives in a row. :)

Here it is supposed to keep the GP meter in the green on high-hit chains earning up to several million per second, but if it really counts all the lives earned so far that is a flaw that makes the system pointless for the large part.
Matskat wrote:This neighborhood USED to be nice...until that family of emulators moved in across the street....
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Board updated.

Yeah, the boss music is some unused tune. It's likely that it was done by the same composer as DonPachi, and was a possible boss tune they would have used.

Also, yes, the idea was to make DDP more Bakraid-like (I'm a huge fan of Bakraid, for those who aren't already aware), by improving the chaining mechanics (improved in my mind, at least).

I guess my lives checking thing wasn't as well implemented as I had hoped. If everyone would like me to go back and fix that, let me know and I will do it; I'll have to invalidate all current scores if I do.
PROMETHEUS wrote:Maybe one day people will make DDP stage editors and we can make our own levels xD
similar to the Lunar Magic Editor for Super Mario World
I actually did find the enemy layouts for the stages. It's complex and confusing though, so I decided to not mess with them at all.

The point isn't about clearing it. It's about scoring. Like any good game. Like Yagawa.
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

trap15 wrote:I guess my lives checking thing wasn't as well implemented as I had hoped. If everyone would like me to go back and fix that, let me know and I will do it; I'll have to invalidate all current scores if I do.
Please do, it's a courtesy most commercial shmup developers don't usually grace us with.
Matskat wrote:This neighborhood USED to be nice...until that family of emulators moved in across the street....
Erppo

Post by Erppo »

Aww, I liked entering Hibachi with over 30 lives :cry:
tinotormed

Post by tinotormed »

Welp, tried it and it looks good. Forget playing the Campaign Version ROM. THIS is the real Campaign Version*.

*No, not really.
YT|2nd YT|1ccs|
Good, bad, I'm the guy with the keyboard! Note:Please PM me if you need scores to be updated!
the.borg

Post by the.borg »

Oh this is very interesting, an arrange of the good old dodonpachi ! EPIC!
Oh and please remove that bug, we already have Mushihimesama Futari for a broken arrange mode, no need for another :lol:
Erppo

Post by Erppo »

As a more serious note, I would consider having a limit bit larger than 4 though. That would make the end bosses a considerable difficulty spike, especially seeing how it's possible to face them with 6 extra lives in the normal game and here you would also get less bombs.
the.borg

Post by the.borg »

Oh well I'm crap on DDP normal, even crappier on this one...
the.borg - 138,032,040 - B-Strong - 2-1 - 821

On another note, I seem to have had a sound bug, I couldn't hear the laser sound anymore when I reached the big tank at the end of stage 2. It came back again later though.

All in all it's a refreshing experience. I approve :P
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Updated version has been released. Please use the current version, thanks. Score tables will be cleared momentarily.
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

I think I get 5 lives sometimes now, with a graphics glitch occasionnaly on the lives counter display.

Also there is something you may want to change :

Currently, when you lose all of your lives and the "Continue ?" countdown appears, you are still gaining points from your 10xHit per frame thing. So currently I think the best scores would probably be achieved by suiciding at the end of 2-6 when your chain is 780~ and your gauge is high, and then waiting for the countdown to get to 0, put a credit to get it back to 9, wait to 0, etc, until you have 9 credits and can't do it anymore, then let it go down to 0 (this let's you get like 200 seconds of 10 x Hit x Frame = 10 x 780 x 200 x 58 = 90 million, twice as much as you could get from the end of the game).
Follow me on Twitch??
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Yes, you can get five lives now; I guess I didn't test well enough since I didn't see the graphical glitch, but I can just patch the display back to 4 without having to clear scores again. Await an ARRANGE.. version to fix that.

And that continue screen thing, I'm fully aware. The score it saves is the score when you lost your last life, not after the continue screen, so it's just a silly little side effect.

EDIT: ARRANGE.. released to fix that graphical glitch. Redownload if you like; it doesn't really matter, gameplay wise.
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

trap15 wrote:And that continue screen thing, I'm fully aware. The score it saves is the score when you lost your last life, not after the continue screen, so it's just a silly little side effect.
Ok, I assumed it would get saved because when I hit start instead of letting the countdown go gameover, the "high score" display at the top had registered the score WITH the extra points I believe.
Last edited by PROMETHEUS on Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Follow me on Twitch??
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Ah... now that I'm not really surprised about. Not sure if I actually want to go through the effort of fixing it though...
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

This is my new weak run lawl. Got full chains of stage 3 and 5 where you normally can't chain xD (it's not hard, just prepare bombs to spam through the gaps and/or suicide).

2012/02/12 ARRANGE..
ProMeTheus - 543,223,570 - A-Weak - 2-7 - 873 Hit
Replay : http://www.mediafire.com/?cnb5l411dlcef7c
Wolfmame99 : http://www.mediafire.com/?eyxyxbgiueg

It's fun but a bit too simple, because when you are on a high chain you can spam all 4 of your bombs, which will get you around 10M (= bonus life), suicide, spam again, suicide... etc until the end of the level. Did a terrible job at hibachi there xD

At the moment it's kinda DDP with no skill, but also with no memory needed so you can just screw around and watch your chain meter / lives / bombs to get Points. I think it's a funny hack, it does completely destroy the depth of the original game but it turns it into something you can casually screw around with for a good laugh.
Follow me on Twitch??
tommyb

Post by tommyb »

Still trying to work on a score. I'm not very good at shooters in general, so I really like the simplified version of this. Thanks a lot for the hard work!
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

This time I spammed bomb like there's no tomorrow xD
Spent all second halves of 1-5, 1-6, 2-5 and 2-6 just... bombing -_-

Almost killed Hibachi but a few mistakes cost me the fight. Also should have prepared a better strategy to come into the end game with more lives. But it was funny that I tried the Hibachi cancelling spots to gain a bonus life, and then I was missing 40,000 points to get it, so I picked up the power ups after a death and there was my bonus life xD

Also managed to mispell "PMT" at the end and got PMM instead. Well played.

2012/02/12 ARRANGE..
ProMeTheus - 560,267,190 - A-Weak - 2-7 - 887 Hit

Replay : http://www.mediafire.com/?yebincm81oavd5y
Wolfmame99 : http://www.mediafire.com/?eyxyxbgiueg

Now my thoughts are you should lower the 10xHitxFrame thing so that we can't just spam bombs non stop once chain reaches 500Hit anymore. Probably could be lowered to 3xHitxFrame for good results. Or maybe rather make extends come every 20M instead of 10M, because the previous suggestion would make the "GP meter over 110" bonus be worth too little in comparison to chaining, which is pretty much automatic.

I think it would also be nice if you wanted to make Bees and Stars useful. In your hack bees don't count cause you can't get bee chains since it's way more rewarding score-wise to suicide all over the place. If you could let bee chains not get broken by death that would be a nice improvement. Star collecting could also be nice to reward much more strongly than in the original game, it would reward the player for using bombs preferably with a screen full of bullets. Again, you could make the Star counter bonus at the end of stages not reset upon death, and perhaps reward more points. And/or make star collecting instantly reward 10,000 upon collection for example, instead of 100 (like power ups, maybe you could re-use the "10,000" sprite that comes up when you collect a power up, for stars. This will increase the amount of slowdown I suspect).

Just some thoughts. Again, thanks for this fun hack, you are opening very interesting opportunities for the future of shmups. You see, even if Cave one day stops making games, I believe the shmup community will always be around, and if they want to play new games, hacking could be a great way of delivering great material to the community. There is huge potential particularly if someone one day develops a good editor for a very popular shmup. See the Super Mario World hacking scene to see what I mean, the editor is simply amazing and the community developping and playing SMW hacks will probably never die.

Super Mario World Central link
Lunar Magic's Website (SMW Editor)
Follow me on Twitch??
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Those are some good ideas (for what it's worth, I adjusted all of the extend rates, so if you go into the test mode, you can switch it to either 5M, 10M, 20M, or 40M), but I don't plan on making any more changes aside from bugfixes at this point. I managed to fall way behind in IRL things, so I need to play catch up for a bit, and then I'm going to be doing another arrange after that.

Anyways, thanks for playing, and please try for #1 everyone! :-)
Gus

Post by Gus »

A level editor would be so awesome.