The PS Vita Thread - Remote Play for all PS4 Games

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
szycag

Re: The PS Vita Thread - Remote Play for all PS4 Games

Post by szycag »

I bought a PS4 and a PS Vita why do I need to play something else to play Vita on my television that you don't even want to sell?! Boom shaka laka! No but really you did everything else right Sony! I'll beat Puyo Puyo Tetris mission mode someday.
That is Galactic Dancing
cfx

Post by cfx »

BulletMagnet wrote:
Shelcoof wrote:That said you better check to make sure the game is compatible with the PSTV though.
I'm almost positive it is.
With the way the Vita whitelist works, the digital version being compatible doesn't guarantee this physical release will be though. (Just like how the US release of Danganronpa is compatible but the EU one isn't.)
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

cfx wrote:
BulletMagnet wrote:
Shelcoof wrote:That said you better check to make sure the game is compatible with the PSTV though.
I'm almost positive it is.
With the way the Vita whitelist works, the digital version being compatible doesn't guarantee this physical release will be though. (Just like how the US release of Danganronpa is compatible but the EU one isn't.)
I haven't seen a single title that's different physical vs digital.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Vita piracy seems to be a real thing now. Only like two or three games decrypted, but enough to see what's coming.

Valkyria: Azure Revolution is coming to the Vita (in Japan at least). Why couldn't they use their Vita porting efforts on a good game like Valkyria Chronicles :(

Narcissu is for some reason getting a limited run Vita release. Mystery Chronicle: One Way Heroics is also getting a limited run Vita release.

999 getting English voice acting (hopefully dual language). Still no press announcements about platforms (Vita seems very likely) or physical release (Aksys, so sometwhat likely).
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

I don't really care for piracy.... I usually like to buy my games

However! I can try before I buy now lol :) [thats if I ever learn how to mod the damn thing]

On top of that I'm looking forward to seeing how good emulation can be on the Vita
Bitter Almonds

Post by Bitter Almonds »

I'm too lazy to be a pirate. That ritual takes work!
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Well piracy usually indicates other stuff is possible: fan translations, undubs, version changing, region changing...
KennyMan666

Post by KennyMan666 »

So ever since Odin Sphere Leifthrasir was announced I've been wanting a system to play it on and after considering my options I decided that it was a Vita that I wanted for it (and the rest of the Vanillaware ports, and Chronicle Saviours).

And now that I actually have money coming in again, I've started considering what I should keep in mind when getting one, so here's questions. Though unless I spot some great deal in the meanwhile I most likely won't pick one up until the end of September.

- I know the old model has a better OLED screen than the LCD on the Slim, but is it so much better that I want to go for that model over the other improvements the Slim has?
- If I'm planning on primarily going physical for games that are available physically, but is likely to do some digital shopping around, what size memory card should I get to be safe? Are what's available on the different marketplaces worth getting multiple memory cards to have accounts for different regions? (at least that's how I understand it works if you want to access multiple different region PSN shops)
- Is PS Plus worth having at all if I only have a Vita?
- Is the Vita version of Chronicle Saviours actually good?
- Since I kind of figure I want to grab a PSTV as well assuming they're not shitexpensive, are PS3 and PS4 controllers the only controllers that can be used with it? (as in: They weren't smart enough to let you use an actual Vita as a controller, right?)
- Anything else I should keep in mind before picking up a system?
My 1CCs so I can find the list easier myself
<Despatche> you've been a thorn in the shmups community since the beginning, you're largely responsible for the horrible face of modern speedrunning
null1024

Post by null1024 »

ZellSF wrote:Vita piracy seems to be a real thing now. Only like two or three games decrypted, but enough to see what's coming.
There's a decrypter out there now, so people can dump their own games.

In other news, I bought Project Diva X [well, had it on pre-order for ages].
It has a story. Shit's weird. Seems pretty decent so far.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
Bitter Almonds

Post by Bitter Almonds »

:idea: Speaking of buying from different PSN regions, would I be able to buy from the Japanese PSN using a PS3 and then copy it into the PS Vita memory card that's been formatted to a US account :?:
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

KennyMan666 wrote: - I know the old model has a better OLED screen than the LCD on the Slim, but is it so much better that I want to go for that model over the other improvements the Slim has?
Yes. The most gorgeous handheld screen on a gaming device; it's absolutely beautiful and makes everything on it look absolutely beautiful. I saw depth of colour and detail in Metal Slug I had never seen before - it leapt off the screen - and I've seen that game a bazillion times.

I own two OLED Vitas, and neither is for sale.
- If I'm planning on primarily going physical for games that are available physically, but is likely to do some digital shopping around, what size memory card should I get to be safe?
Go as big as you can afford, really. The memory cards are a total pain in the ass and get filled up quickly. If you buy relatively small you'll just end up needing another later.

Are what's available on the different marketplaces worth getting multiple memory cards to have accounts for different regions? (at least that's how I understand it works if you want to access multiple different region PSN shops)
That's annoying as well, and fiddly - but if it's something you think you need then you can handle it like that. Your best bet at the moment is pinning down an OLED Vita with firmware 3.60 so you can install Henkaku. I'm quite positive region issues will be overcome shortly (if not already).
On PSTV I'm sure it's as wonderful as it is on Steam, but on the handheld arcade mode's aspect ratio is really pushing the boundaries of playable. CS Mode is really where it's at when you're on the go.
You want 3.60 firmware.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

Bitter Almonds

Post by Bitter Almonds »

Wait, that all sounds like Chinese to me. What's henkaku? :?
Jonathan Ingram

Post by Jonathan Ingram »

Bitter Almonds wrote:Wait, that all sounds like Chinese to me. What's henkaku? :?
A browser exploit for Vita on 3.60 firmware that enables the use of homebrew programs on your system such as emulators, ports of Doom, Quake and Hexen, an application to remote play from your PC etc. The most recent development is a program called Vitamin. It decrypts digital and cart-based Vita games into installable VPK packages (read: piracy). The internet is being flooded with game dumps as we speak. One of Vitamin's interesting features is an option to apply a 444Mhz patch during the dumping process which should theoretically improve framerates in a number of games.
KennyMan666

Post by KennyMan666 »

So what advantages does getting firmware 3.60 have if I am not at all interested in pirating games? And won't they force you to update to connect to PSN and/or play games released after the update?

Definitely getting the OLED screen version though given that 80% of the games I'm interested in for it are Vanillaware games and I might actually already have a potential lead on one.
<Despatche> you've been a thorn in the shmups community since the beginning, you're largely responsible for the horrible face of modern speedrunning
Bitter Almonds

Post by Bitter Almonds »

I'm thinkin' of getting a second OLED Vita just so I don't have to go through all the shit sorny makes one do in order to play Japanese games from PSN.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

KennyMan666 wrote:So ever since Odin Sphere Leifthrasir was announced I've been wanting a system to play it on and after considering my options I decided that it was a Vita that I wanted for it (and the rest of the Vanillaware ports, and Chronicle Saviours).

And now that I actually have money coming in again, I've started considering what I should keep in mind when getting one, so here's questions. Though unless I spot some great deal in the meanwhile I most likely won't pick one up until the end of September.

- I know the old model has a better OLED screen than the LCD on the Slim, but is it so much better that I want to go for that model over the other improvements the Slim has?
- If I'm planning on primarily going physical for games that are available physically, but is likely to do some digital shopping around, what size memory card should I get to be safe? Are what's available on the different marketplaces worth getting multiple memory cards to have accounts for different regions? (at least that's how I understand it works if you want to access multiple different region PSN shops)
- Since I kind of figure I want to grab a PSTV as well assuming they're not shitexpensive, are PS3 and PS4 controllers the only controllers that can be used with it? (as in: They weren't smart enough to let you use an actual Vita as a controller, right?)
Choosing between the two models is very difficult. I'd say they are about even and it boils down to whether you want the superior screen or better overall design of the slim. If you never gamed on the OLED screen then you probably won't be bothered by the Slim's screen. Its just those of us who has played both will notice the screen difference. My personal experience I bought both models. After holding the Slim I fell in love with the ergonomics of the handheld. Playing on the Model one looked great but playing on the Model 2 felt better. It really is a tough choice.

You should get at least a 16GB card. I'd actually recommend a 64GB card if your going to go the route of buying Digital games. There is a huge digital library there and so many good games to buy. I have multiple Memory Cards and I found it wasn't enough for what I have. Then again I have multiple systems and at least 80physical games not including my digital purchases.

No plus is not worth it if you just own a Vita. I only use plus to play Multiplayer games online. I own a PS4, PS3 and a Vita so plus makes more sense. Usually Vita offerings on plus aren't really that good.

Don't bother with the Vita TV its a piece of Junk. I barely use mine.. probably used it only three times in my life. Again this is my opinion others may disagree lol. If you get a converter you can use other controllers like a Fight Stick on the Vita TV but they have gotten expensive lately.

Other things to know? The Vita has a shit ton of great games... if you enjoy gaming you'll end up buying a lot of them. Very easy to just browse the PSN library and end up making several Digital purchases lol. Get a big Memory card just in case :)

Just some more added stuff... if your going the collecting route some games are pretty expensive. Memory cards are even more expensive
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

KennyMan666 wrote:So what advantages does getting firmware 3.60 have if I am not at all interested in pirating games? And won't they force you to update to connect to PSN and/or play games released after the update?
I'm not interested in piracy either. The sad fact is, most of the stuff I want on the Vita boils down to almost nothing, and I've already bought those titles (everything Vanillaware, DBAC, Umihara Kawase, YS).

However, Henkaku is letting me enjoy FBA and install a nice 16-bit library which is something I always personally like to have in my pocket. And the OLED is diamond class for rendering everything you throw at it.

If that stuff bores you, then don't worry about Henkaku (although currently they've managed to trick the Vita into thinking it's on 3.61, allowing all 3.6 users to access PSN, if that answers your query about lockout. No idea how long that will last, but if they can do it once, they probably can again in future).

Because classic game emulation is more than enough for me, I'm just waiting for a good PSX emulator to arrive that's custom designed for the Vita HW and I'll be all set. However my second Vita is there to play the latest titles if needs be.

Jonathan Ingram

Post by Jonathan Ingram »

KennyMan666 wrote:So what advantages does getting firmware 3.60 have if I am not at all interested in pirating games?
That depends. Do you want greatly expanded functionality and ownership of the digital games?
And won't they force you to update to connect to PSN and/or play games released after the update?
Firmware spoofers will take care of that.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

KennyMan666 wrote:So ever since Odin Sphere Leifthrasir was announced I've been wanting a system to play it on and after considering my options I decided that it was a Vita that I wanted for it (and the rest of the Vanillaware ports, and Chronicle Saviours).

1: The impressions I've read by people that have tried both generally suggest the 2000 (LCD) model is better than the 1000 model (OLED).
2: There are digital games and exclusives that are up to 4GB, I wouldn't go lower than 16GB. I go physical only whenever possible and still think my 64GB is too small (partly because I use the thing for PSP games). Using a Vita for two different region PSN stores is a PITA and really not recommended.
3: No. Not now. Free games have started including mediocre PSP titles and most multiplayer games are dead. Cloud saving is the only convenient way of moving saves between a Vita and a PSTV though. Yearly price is increasing by 10$ in a few days.
4: Yes.
5: You can't use a Vita as a controller on a PSTV, no. PSTVs are 20$-30$.
KennyMan666

Post by KennyMan666 »

Well, I have an OLED model scoped out from a guy on a Swedish gaming forum (who lives in the same city as me so that's cool), which probably isn't updated to the latest firmware as it sounded like he hadn't used it for a while (as he had to go find it in a closet at his parent's place), so I'll probably be using Henkaku, yeah. System would come with a 16 GB card, charger and like 10 games, some I'd actually want to keep though probably wouldn't go buy on my own. Currently considering how much I should give for all that. I'll pick up a bigger memory card when I need to.

Might not actually do the actual purchase until the end of the month, which was the plan anyway. I can afford it, but I want to make sure I have enough money for the rest of the month too.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

ZellSF wrote: 1: The impressions I've read by people that have tried both generally suggest the 2000 (LCD) model is better than the 1000 model (OLED).
I've never read anything except the opposite. I took my 1100 OLED to the game store and tested it side by side with a 2000 LCD. Difference in screen quality is night and day, literally. I really dislike the 2000 build quality compared to the 1000 series: it feels way less substantial in the hand and is really only marginally slimmer. I don't like the curved edges or the way they set the screen compared to the single panel of the original.

Basically nothing about it is worth slightly improved battery life or a little bit of extra flash RAM. OLED or nothing.

Here is the first VS comparison on google:

https://www.vg247.com/2014/02/03/ps-vit ... een-makes/

And Youtube (timestamped it so you can get to the relevant bit:)

https://youtu.be/Sa8ue0rPVgA?t=1m31s

ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Skykid wrote:
ZellSF wrote: 1: The impressions I've read by people that have tried both generally suggest the 2000 (LCD) model is better than the 1000 model (OLED).
I've never read anything except the opposite.
Did you check that was from people that tried both? Because I've read a ton of posts by people who said the 1000 model has to be better because of OLED, but who haven't tried both (or even one of them). From people who tried both however, it's a different story.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

ZellSF wrote:
Skykid wrote:
Did you check that was from people that tried both? Because I've read a ton of posts by people who said the 1000 model has to be better because of OLED, but who haven't tried both (or even one of them). From people who tried both however, it's a different story.

The OLED is gorgeous very vibrant . colors pop out and are easy on the eyes.
The LCD has some sort of purplei hue or tint to it...... don't know how to describe it... its pretty much not as colorful as the OLED
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

ZellSF wrote:
Skykid wrote:
I've tried both! I hung out in the local store chatting to the guy there and weighed up the 1100 and 2000 side by side. There's no contest in image quality - absolutely none. The OLED takes it hands down. Also both the links above are from people making direct comparisons.

Ergonomics are a preference, and in most cases I feel Sony tend to improve or equal their hardware on revision; but not on the Vita. I just don't like the redesign much, I think there are elements of it that make it look like one of the knock-off android handhelds floating around Chinese markets. The original design is cleaner, nicer looking, more robust, and feels better.

Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Skykid wrote: Ergonomics are a preference, and in most cases I feel Sony tend to improve or equal their hardware on revision; but not on the Vita. I just don't like the redesign much, I think there are elements of it that make it look like one of the knock-off android handhelds floating around Chinese markets. The original design is cleaner, nicer looking, more robust, and feels better.
The ergonomics was what did it for me. I ended up getting two of each. At first when I saw the 2000 I thought it looked ugly as hell... but once I held it I was like hey this feels pretty good. Then all of a sudden I started appreciating all the enhancement Sony implemented. The universal USB socket the bigger Start and Select buttons and even the enhanced power and volume control that protrudes higher than the previous buttons.

It was a pleasant feel. If you've had long sessions with Playstation All Stars as I had at work with the guys the 2000 more slim design helps eliminate the cramping of the hands.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

I've never used a 2000 extensively, I just thought it felt less robust. I've also never had cramping of the hands when using a Vita.

My objective back then was to buy a second console so I could have one for emulation and one for current games. I went in with a mind to get a black 2000 and after an hour left with a second white 1000.

Like I said, the little things you mentioned (bigger start/select buttons etc) don't outweigh the screen IMO. If you're happy you're happy, but I'd recommend hunting down an OLED to anyone while they're still relatively cheap and unwanted.

Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Just a quick check with fellow PSTV users (I don't think the PSTV has its own thread, right?).

Does the "trick" of downloading certain titles on you PS3, and then transferring them on PSTV still work? Or it never worked on PSTV to begin with, but only on Vita? Or maybe it worked at some point, but has been prevented by a firmware update?

I'm referring to the titles in this list:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1038187

subsection: "CAN BE DOWNLOADED VIA PS3" - will these work on a PSTV if I download them using this bizarre, counter-intuitive, fuck-you-sony-what-the-hell-are-you-thinking method?
X - P - B
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Turrican wrote:I'm referring to the titles in this list:

subsection: "CAN BE DOWNLOADED VIA PS3"
Okay, I tried my luck and indeed those titles do work on the PSTV if downloaded via PS3. So now I can play Castlevania Chronicles on PSTV, sweet.

Now the real question is: where can I find a similar list for the EU store?
X - P - B
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Turrican wrote:
Turrican wrote:I'm referring to the titles in this list:

subsection: "CAN BE DOWNLOADED VIA PS3"
Okay, I tried my luck and indeed those titles do work on the PSTV if downloaded via PS3. So now I can play Castlevania Chronicles on PSTV, sweet.

Now the real question is: where can I find a similar list for the EU store?
If you can, avoid the EU store at all costs and switch to the US store.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

ZellSF wrote:If you can, avoid the EU store at all costs and switch to the US store.
That's the golden rule, and I switched to US account asap, but I still lurk into the EU Store, because I have lots of purchases & trophies on that one. So it would be helpful to know which games are "secretly" playable on PSTV via ps3 download for that region too...

...yeah, I have two PSTV, one for each region. Things were discontinued and dirt cheap, so...
X - P - B