L-Dis

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Herr Schatten

L-Dis

Post by Herr Schatten »

I never heard much about it and only picked it up because I remembered Ghegs, who has proven to have a more than decent taste in games on multiple past occasions, mentioning in his gaming journal that he liked it.

I got this in the mail yesterday and played it only briefly, but I can foresee me enjoying it a great deal. It's original, looks and sounds sweet, and plays frantically fast at times, which should appeal to quite a few people here, methinks.

So why is there so little talk about this game?

Oh yes, and how do I figure out what the extras do BEFORE picking them up? So far I just grabbed all of them and got the feeling that I didn't quite put the weapon system to good use.
chtimi-CLA

Post by chtimi-CLA »

i have to buy it sometime, i have only heard good things about it and it's by masaya.
a good review, in french but with many pics
ST Dragon
Banned User

Post by ST Dragon »

I was wondering the same thing as well...
Probably because there is just not too much info, reviews or pics on this generally "unknown" shooter.
I've never played it but it reminds me of the Parodius theme.

Nice review by the way...
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Nice to know at least somebody reads my Gaming Journal. :D

The power-ups had me confused at first as well, but you get used to them quickly. The trick is to remember that there are three different kinds of power-ups, and all have a different colored outer ring. That helps out a lot. One is for the red, green and blue options, one for speed-up and weapon power-up, and one for bomb and shield.

After you learn to see which icons are for what type of power-ups, you'll soon remember the differences between the choices and can pick the shield instead of the bomb every time. Personally, I just look at the last kanji in there and recognize them that way.

It's a very good game, and very cheap and available too.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
CIT

Post by CIT »

I think it's a pretty good 2nd tier PCE shooter too, but a little too hard for my taste (although maybe that was just me being a spazz).
I guess it never gets mentioned a lot outside of PCE-nut circles because it kind of sits between the chairs, so to speak. Not quite crazy enough to be Parodius or Aichoaniki level, not quite cute enough to be Magical Chase or Keio Flying Squadron level, if you know what I mean.
ccovell

Post by ccovell »

It's a great game, and one of my fave PCE horis. To find out how the weapons work, just watch the weapon demonstration that you can choose before the game starts. It's all there.

Also, there is a cheat code for a debug menu if you really need one. Go look around the net for it.

And finally, does anybody think the cloud formations in the first level look like people coupling? Does anybody see anything in those clouds, or am I just crazy? (I already know I'm perverted.)
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

L-Dis is a fantastic game, if you like cute-em-ups. The game is just one of those that's full of personality. It's a regular CD game, but the graphics are just as good, if not better, than a lot of SuperCD games. Great sound effects, too. And yeah, it's pretty tough. I've only made it past the ocean stage once. Definite Gradius Syndrome sufferer, if for nothing else than your ship is waaaaaaaay toooooooooo sloooooooooooow to start.

I highly reccomend it to any PCE/Turbo CD owners, and will point you to my sale thread, where it is available:

http://forum.shmups.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3574