Chicagoland Spring Carnival future + announcement

Having a shmupmeet? Want to find one in your area? Come on in here then...
drboom

Re: Chicagoland Spring Carnival 2013 - May 31st - June 1st

Post by drboom »

It's there and still super tasty. I dig tht place, even as a meat eater!
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

drboom wrote:It's there and still super tasty. I dig tht place, even as a meat eater!
I'm also a meat eater, but honestly if you gave me one of their burritos and didn't tell me it didn't actually have meat in it, I probably wouldn't even notice. I think I had the chorizo 'sausage' one, and it certainly tasted like sausage, not just a soy substitute.

Also, it was odd to see BYOB in a restaurant; they ain't got that up here, eh. :lol:
t0yrobo

Post by t0yrobo »

I'll be staying not far from Drbooms place Thursday and Friday if anyone's up for some pre-meet tomfoolery. Otherwise I'll be hopping the bus out to Logans sometime late afternoon.
XBL - CountryGolden
cdamm

Post by cdamm »

looks like i'll make it out.
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

trap15 wrote:Alright, I've finalized my list of stuff I'm bringing I think (unless people want me to bring anything else)

Battle Bakraid
Guardians/Denjin Makai 2
Gun Frontier (original and modified ROMs)
JJ Squawkers (bootleg)
Thunder Dragon (original and Practice Mode ROMs)
Thunder Dragon 2 (original and Practice Mode ROMs)
Wyvern Wings

I can and probably will also bring my EPROM burner (+setup) and a bunch of EPROMs for whatever.
oooohhh, ketsui arrange roms, perhaps :mrgreen:
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Sure, I'll burn one of those up tonight :)

Very excited, rolling out tomorrow right after lunch. Should arrive right around 6 :D
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

trap15 wrote:Sure, I'll burn one of those up tonight :)

Very excited, rolling out tomorrow right after lunch. Should arrive right around 6 :D
If you can do some Guwange blue label roms I haz monies and beerz pour vous :)

Uggh, longest day EVAR!!
drboom

Post by drboom »

I actually have a set of those at home - I can bring them for you easy if trap15 can't get it hooked up.
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

Leaving for the airport in 10 mins or so. See you guys in a couple hours :D
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Packing up and getting going! :D
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
drboom

Post by drboom »

I'm heading out to Logan to finish set up - see you all soon!

And just a quick note - There will be alot of new pins set up to play out of Zespy's personal collection - all he asks is that people don't shoot photos of them and post them up - he wants to keep most of his collection under wraps. You guys are in for some treats!
drboom

Post by drboom »

Also just FYI - anyone staying with me will need to come to Logan first if its before 8 pm cause my fiancée won't be at home till then to let anyone in.
Zerst

Post by Zerst »

On the road with Medal. Nearing chicago, even, but we're gonna hang out around the Speed Demos Archive meetup for a while first.
Dimahoo is a fun game.
<trap15> C is for Bakraid
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Oh my god I have a story for y'all lmao
cdamm

Post by cdamm »

that was fun.

thanks for havin' me over!
drboom

Post by drboom »

You bet man - good to meet you and thanks for rolling by!

Damn, that was a good time! I'm back from about three hours of clean up at Logan Hardware, helped by the Canadian crew of jonny5 and brentz - thanks guys - and dead tired. I'll post up on the blog shortly about the meet, maybe in a day or so, but man after MDF and this meet, I need a few days recovery! Thanks to everyone who came, thanks mega to toyorobo for the amazing posters (I'm getting mine framed ASAP), thanks to gunbird18 for bringing his Aero City all the way from Moberly, thanks to caldwert for bringing two XM29's and a ton of pcbs and to all who brought games as well.
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

Indeed. Good times everyone, gonna be gettin my poster framed as well :D

Got a few more games I'm gonna have to check out. And I really feel like learning Dimahoo after watching Zerst's run :shock:

Great to meet everyone, chat, and play great games!
gunbird18

Post by gunbird18 »

9999 thank you's to Boom for bringing this thing to life! You are one busy dude, yet you still pull this off, taking each meet a step above the last meet!

zespy's store-retro arcade-private party space is beyond cool! The spectator benches - icing on the cake! Pin selection - incredible! Retro arcade, so many titles I grew up playing! Thanks, Z!

It was great to see everyone again, and to see some new faces.

I don't mind bringing the Aero City. It received a ton of play time and that is what it was made for. I just feel privileged to be invited to these epic meets. I love watching the mad skillz, love all the banter and crazy "what happened when I bought this" stories.

So many memories!
"When you can say you love shooting games, I get the sense you’re no longer a normal person. (laughs)" - S. Yagawa
caldwert

Post by caldwert »

Dr. Boom and Zespy, I can't thank you guys enough. I really enjoy the meets even if I don't actually play any shooters the entire time, lol. I love seeing all the stuff I've never played before and only heard about. Nibbler is addictive!
Some-Mist

Post by Some-Mist »

I had an awesome time and was happy I made it out on Saturday too (even if just for 1-2 hours). Cool dudes, awesome games, good brews.. it was a great time.

Playing some of those boards has convinced me to seek out a supergun and play some legit pcbs.

Thank you to everyone that put the effort into making this happen. And sorry for not being able to bring SDOJ (damn you NCSX!!)
a creature... half solid half gas
beatsgo

Post by beatsgo »

Man this was another great meetup. Give a shout out to drboom again for hosting this event, including providing hospitality along with his fiancee. Also want to thank Zepsy for holding it at his good old store as well as access to some of his pins and games. I appreciate everyone bring their stuff. Meet more people at the meet whether they're new or old faces, but had a blast. Lastly, caldwert I did indeed 1CCed Ninja Emaki and it has multiple loops.
Ex-STGWeekly Crew
Sky of Pin
LoserGaiden
shmups IRC wrote:wich linode wud u fuk
t0yrobo

Post by t0yrobo »

That was an awesome weekend. Big thanks to DrBoom and Zespy for getting it all together, everyone that brought stuff to play, and whatever sorcery created the bottomless cooler of beer. It was great to see lots of old and new faces and shoot the shit while playing lots of shmups and pinball. Looking forward to seeing everyone at a meet again.
XBL - CountryGolden
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

So we made it home OK, despite a 2 hr delay on our flight; they really need smoking lounges in airports!

Big thanks to drboom for hosting and letting us crash on his floor/couch and thanks to Zespy for letting us hang out. My forearms are still sore from all that pinball. :lol:

Oh, also, big thanks to the liquor store down the block with their $7 12 packs of PBR :lol:

It was great to see everybody again and meet some new people. Hopefully we can do this again next year.

Anybody ever wants to come out to our neck of the woods, say the word.
Matskat

Post by Matskat »

Good times again this year!

Thanks to Geoff and Zespy for the location and activism within our small scene :)

It was good to see Brendz and Jonny5 again - and Zerst with his crazy Dimahoo skills...Good to see Davey and toyorobo and beatsgo again, as well as the usual Missouri fuckers: Tory , Steve and Tee-Oh-Double-D...anybody I forgot...sorry lotta beers and trips outside :p

Until next time, here is a panoramic photo of our backstage "Private Event" area:

Mat$kaT
http://matskatcustoms.wordpress.com
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=32709
"This is not similation. Get ready to destoroy the enemy. Target for the weak points of f**kin' machine. Do your best you have ever done."
brendz

Post by brendz »

had a great time
thanks to all who made this event happen and to all who showed up to play/chat
and as jonny5 said if any you guys make it to toronto we both have candys with cave games on freeplay your welcome to play
Davey

Post by Davey »

Totally forgot to post... thanks to drboom and Zespy! Good times as always, even if I spent more time playing non-shmups than shmups. Obviously I loves me some Magical Drop.

I would've loved to share a few beers as well, but I knew driving back from Detroit to Toledo at the break of dawn would be hard enough as is. :o
drboom

Post by drboom »

I just finished my post on suicidebullets - link is in my sig, but as a stand-out - below is the video I took of drunkninja24's second loop Ketsui play. Stellar stuff. Thanks again to all who came out.

http://youtu.be/XrFiyw-GgwA
beatsgo

Post by beatsgo »

Awesome blog post drboom! That drunkninja24's ketsui run was amazing. Wish I had a camera for the event, but kept a promise to hand it down to my bro.

Anyone who's going to be in the Chicagoland area this weekend, we should meetup this Saturday at Galloping Ghost in Brookfield, IL.
Ex-STGWeekly Crew
Sky of Pin
LoserGaiden
shmups IRC wrote:wich linode wud u fuk
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

As usual, I'm late as hell to all this, but thanks again to DrBoom and Zespy, you guys really go all out and always make a memorable experience where all of us can hang out and enjoy ourselves. It was great to see everybody again and it makes me wish I could've made it out on Friday as well, all 12 hours on Saturday didn't feel like enough! Had an awesome time chatting with everyone and playing a lot of competitive rounds on TSS and Magical Drop, as well as seeing a bunch of games I hadn't played before. Thanks to everyone for coming out, Drunkninja, caldwert, matskat, gunbird, davey, you guys are all a blast.

Hopefully we can have at least another meet-up before Geoff leaves the area, stay in touch.
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
drboom

Post by drboom »

Big announcement here for all you shmupmeet attendees and friends:

I have accepted another position at SRAM (where I work), but this job is based in Colorado Springs - I'll be saying goodbye to Chicago mid-September and moving out there. Right now, this means I will not be hosting the next Chicagoland Carnival event, but hopefully someone takes up the reigns and ride forth.

I'm excited to move to COS but I will certainly miss gaming with you all. The last few events have been excellent fun and something I have looked forward to. I'd like to thanks everyone for attending past events and making this one of the better shmupmeets out there.