Chicagoland Spring Carnival future + announcement

Having a shmupmeet? Want to find one in your area? Come on in here then...
drboom

Re: Chicagoland Winter Carnival 2012 - Feb 17-19 - discussion

Post by drboom »

dr. mr. wrote:hello all! yep, i have entered this world... its rad. thanks to all of you for showing me a bit about this hobby and for letting me play your games. Omega Fighter forever!!! :)

-zespy
Weklcome to the madness.
dr. mr.

Post by dr. mr. »

no problem! thanks to geoff for putting us all together. glad your wife likes the scarf. meme rules! i got one for xmas this year, love it.

omega will be mine... i need one to crack the seal of the candy cab / shmups set up at my place...
-z

Matskat wrote:
dr. mr. wrote:hello all! yep, i have entered this world... its rad. thanks to all of you for showing me a bit about this hobby and for letting me play your games. Omega Fighter forever!!! :)

-zespy
Thanks Zespy, for having us!

What a totally accommodating & righteous dude you are!

Omega Fighter was the shit. It's like Cave took one look at all the mechanics in THAT game and subdivided 'em up among all their entire catalogue!

OH, Zesp! I bought one of your wife's grandmother's knitted scarves for my wife - she loves it and digs that you sell that stuff - she says "Tell 'im his nana rocks the needles!"

I left you at note too! Hope you got it...

Thanks again for the good time!
caldwert wrote:
My thoughts a full day afterwards. Still can't get over how righteous Logan Hardware is. Everyone I talked to was super cool. Lots of gaming skills on display. More than enough stuff to keep you occupied. Honestly time flew by.
Grippin' grain \ switchin lanes
causin pain in the turnin' lane

wood grain i'm grippin' \ 4 - 4's I'm tippin
syrup sippin' wit the paint drippin'
turn yo neck and yo dame missin!
Like "Do or Die!" \ I'm 'po pimpin'
Car stops \ rims keep spinnin!
dr. mr.

Post by dr. mr. »

lord help me.
-z
drboom wrote:

-zespy
Weklcome to the madness.
Matskat

Post by Matskat »

dr. mr. wrote:lord help me.
-z
drboom wrote:

-zespy
Weklcome to the madness.
WELCOME TO VIOLENT CITY!
Mat$kaT
http://matskatcustoms.wordpress.com
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=32709
"This is not similation. Get ready to destoroy the enemy. Target for the weak points of f**kin' machine. Do your best you have ever done."
drboom

Post by drboom »

Ha - it's an addictive hobby for sure.

Suicide Bullets is updated with a recap post, check there for pics and whatnot. I had a great time - thanks everyone for attending and those who helped out, brought stuff, shared beer and other stuff... 8)

Zespy has given the go ahead for next year and there are some things in the works which should make next year pretty amazing... 8)
beatsgo

Post by beatsgo »

If anyone is interested, I just uploaded my collection of pictures I taken during the event on Saturday. Not much to be honest since I got caught into the battle to get a high score on Star Soldier R.
Ex-STGWeekly Crew
Sky of Pin
LoserGaiden
shmups IRC wrote:wich linode wud u fuk
drboom

Post by drboom »

Awesome stuff man - thanks for uploading those! Good to meet you as well. 8)
t0yrobo

Post by t0yrobo »

That was an awesome meet, after all that pinball I need to start keeping quarters on me for the Funhouse machine I walk by on the the way to school during the week. Huge thanks to zespy and drboom for setting everything up. 6 player X-Men was quite the treat on top of everything else. I'll definitely be stopping by Logan's next time I'm in Chicago.

Oh, and congrats to MachineAres 1CC, he has the new high on my shooting watch with a 134.
XBL - CountryGolden
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

Oh yeah, since someone asked about it (matskat I think), here's a link to my YT channel that has my 1-ALL replays for Ketsui (standard and X-Mode) and Futari: http://www.youtube.com/user/olddrunkninja
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

I made some great progress that weekend, playing on a cab with a nice screen really makes a difference! Got to stage 5 for the first time in Ketsui, twice. Got a centimeter from 1cc in DoDonPachi (as Zerst watches over my shoulder, he's my bad-luck charm). Did much better than usual in SOS as well, so nice to play it with no lag. Never played Omega Fighter before but that was definitely worth playing.

And will never forget:
RRRRrrrrrrraaaahhhh!
RRRRrrrrrrraaaahhhh!
RRRRrrrrrrraaaahhhh!
(fall off cliff)
RRRRrrrrrrraaaahhhh!
RRRRrrrrrrraaaahhhh!
Magneto: "You will-"
RRRRrrrrrrraaaahhhh!
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
dr. mr.

Post by dr. mr. »

hey guys,
can one of you tell me the value of the volume pot on omega fighter? bob had one at the meet, right? gots to fix dr boom's pcb... and bob... i think you said you could find me a pcb... one.... I NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED it!
caldwert

Post by caldwert »

I'll have to dig mine out here over the weekend. I texted a guy who's on here actually about his, he doesn't want to sell it though. Wait til some op who doesn't know squat sells another for basically nothing.
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

Jeneki wrote:I made some great progress that weekend, playing on a cab with a nice screen really makes a difference! Got to stage 5 for the first time in Ketsui, twice. Got a centimeter from 1cc in DoDonPachi (as Zerst watches over my shoulder, he's my bad-luck charm). Did much better than usual in SOS as well, so nice to play it with no lag. Never played Omega Fighter before but that was definitely worth playing.

And will never forget:
RRRRrrrrrrraaaahhhh!
RRRRrrrrrrraaaahhhh!
RRRRrrrrrrraaaahhhh!
(fall off cliff)
RRRRrrrrrrraaaahhhh!
RRRRrrrrrrraaaahhhh!
Magneto: "You will-"
RRRRrrrrrrraaaahhhh!
The glory of no-attack button Colossus :mrgreen:
dr. mr.

Post by dr. mr. »

word. let me know if you see one!
caldwert wrote:I'll have to dig mine out here over the weekend. I texted a guy who's on here actually about his, he doesn't want to sell it though. Wait til some op who doesn't know squat sells another for basically nothing.
drboom

Post by drboom »

I see one...everytime I look at my PCB stash. ;) Hold onto mine for now, get your fill, save your cash, and then I'll convince you to get DDP Saidai-oujou when it comes out...:)
dr. mr.

Post by dr. mr. »

your all horrible people... pushers... dealers... damn it.
drboom wrote:I see one...everytime I look at my PCB stash. ;) Hold onto mine for now, get your fill, save your cash, and then I'll convince you to get DDP Saidai-oujou when it comes out...:)
Matskat

Post by Matskat »

caldwert wrote:I'll have to dig mine out here over the weekend. I texted a guy who's on here actually about his, he doesn't want to sell it though. Wait til some op who doesn't know squat sells another for basically nothing.
That's what I'm doing....waiting patiently.
Omega Fighter was way cool....I must own it.
Mat$kaT
http://matskatcustoms.wordpress.com
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=32709
"This is not similation. Get ready to destoroy the enemy. Target for the weak points of f**kin' machine. Do your best you have ever done."
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

t0yrobo wrote: Oh, and congrats to MachineAres 1CC, he has the new high on my shooting watch with a 134.
Yesssssss, hahaha. This was my only point of pride for the whole weekend besides getting the high score and 1CC on the Scramble cabinet, since we didn't have an official/semi-official Twinkle Star Sprites tourney, though I did kick Andi's arse :) He beat my River Raid score at the last minute, though.

I had such an amazing time the whole weekend and it re-kindled my love for pinball which had drawn dormant over the last few years. Can't wait for future hangouts as well as the 2013 Carnival!

Also, a few pictures of mine from the event:

6-player X-men action:

Dr boom's awesome pinball setup. I really want a Paragon of my own..

My high score on the Scramble cab. Not my highest, but highest for the weekend:

Zespy's Grand Lizard pin. Easily one of my favorite pins I've ever played. I want one of my own so bad.

Random shot of our setup:
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
caldwert

Post by caldwert »

dr. mr. wrote:hey guys,
can one of you tell me the value of the volume pot on omega fighter? bob had one at the meet, right? gots to fix dr boom's pcb... and bob... i think you said you could find me a pcb... one.... I NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED it!
The volume pot says "9060 1K8" not that those mean anything, but there ya go.
drboom

Re: Chicagoland Winter Carnival 2013 - discussion

Post by drboom »

Hey everyone - bit of a delay to the announcement of the Winter Carnival, but Zespy has got to get some stuff taken care of at his place first. The meet will still be happening this year, but more likely in April or May - which will probably be nicer for most anyway - certainly better time to move around the city!

As it is, I have some new boards, caldwert has bought some new stuff he is eager to bring to the meet and the selection of games will be even bigger this year with a few more dedicated vintage shmup cabs. And, of course, at Logan, there will be a ton of pinbal and other vintage games to sate yourself with.

Stay tuned - hopefully I can nail down some dates with Zespy this weekend. :mrgreen:
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

drboom wrote:Hey everyone - bit of a delay to the announcement of the Winter Carnival, but Zespy has got to get some stuff taken care of at his place first. The meet will still be happening this year, but more likely in April or May - which will probably be nicer for most anyway - certainly better time to move around the city!

As it is, I have some new boards, caldwert has bought some new stuff he is eager to bring to the meet and the selection of games will be even bigger this year with a few more dedicated vintage shmup cabs. And, of course, at Logan, there will be a ton of pinbal and other vintage games to sate yourself with.

Stay tuned - hopefully I can nail down some dates with Zespy this weekend. :mrgreen:
Name the date and I'm there. Spring is definitely better :D Earlier we establish dates, the better, as far as booking time off from work and planning the trip down.

Glad to hear this is happening again. Brendz and I had a blast last time!
TLB

Post by TLB »

If, by some serendipitous failure, the meet is delayed until the third week or later of May, I'll be able to come this year. I still have a Strikers 1999 board if nobody has it.
t0yrobo

Post by t0yrobo »

I like the sound of that, catching the last bus back to my friends place last time was cooold. And it'd be a good excuse for a motorcycle trip.
XBL - CountryGolden
caldwert

Post by caldwert »

I should be down to attend as long as there isn't some mandatory bullshit work weekend. That being said as soon as we have a date, I'm requesting off. I should be able to lug 2-3 XM29's up there if we want em. I'm super pumped (dr. boom knows from the 15 or so emails I have sent him about this, lol). I had a really good time last year and am looking forward to more pinball this year.
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

Oh sweet, yeah I'm down for Springtime meet :mrgreen:
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Sounds awesome, I'll have to see if I can make it!
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
beatsgo

Post by beatsgo »

Spring Carnival 2013 sounds more awesome than Winter. Will definitely go if it's around mid-late April.

Post 300!
Ex-STGWeekly Crew
Sky of Pin
LoserGaiden
shmups IRC wrote:wich linode wud u fuk
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Excellent news! I only have a few busy dates set for April / May. (crosses fingers)
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
mrtie

Post by mrtie »

I am interested perhaps +1.
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

Alright, one thing that needs to be sorted out: who gets the couch? I propose a no-holds barred MMA match for couch rights :lol: