console decision

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
diOdesu

console decision

Post by diOdesu »

alright, ive waited too long. i NEED a sega saturn, a modified ps2, and a modified dream cast (because i hate using swap discs). im ready to pull the trigger, but...which do i get??? since i can only currently afford one.

err, a few of my favorites are: mars matrix - dc, einhander - psone, ikaruga - gc. (pfft, sounds so typical)
gamestop: looking for anything in particular?
me: im looking for shooters in general.
gamestop: 1st person shooters?
me: no, 2d shoot em ups like gradius and r-type.
gamestop: why would anyone want 2d? stick to 3d, and i recommend ace combat 5!
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

PS2 affords the greatest opportunities since you can play all the incredible PS1 titles AND all the great stuff that is now and soon to be available for PS2. A year ago or so I probably would have said Saturn, but the PS2 has really taken off since then.
Last edited by professor ganson on Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jp

Post by jp »

Unless you love Cave, teh Satty. Best versions of the Psikyo shmups, best console for Techno Soft and Raizing, Radiant Silvergun (obviously), Batsugun, best version of Darius Gaiden, etc.

Dreamcast has some of the best shmups ever, but it only has like, 10. Mind you, Mars Matrix and Border Down alone can beat down most libraries with a stick, but... eh... Satty just has more quantity of quality.
RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!!!!!
diOdesu

Post by diOdesu »

yah are there any shooters for the ps2 that will become classic? i really want radiant silver gun, but i also dont want to fall behind with new releases.
llabnip

Post by llabnip »

professor ganson wrote:PS2 affords the greatest opportunities since you can play all the incredible PS1 titles AND all the great stuff that is now and soon to be available for PS2. A year ago or so ago I probably would have said Saturn, but the PS2 has really taken off since then.
Well said. IMO, a modified PS2 is now the defacto-standard in shooter consoles. The PS1 held it's ground against the Saturn well enough but add in the PS2 import library and you've got an outstanding shooter machine - with console exclusives like Zanac Neo, Raiden DX, G-Darius, Einhander and Gradius Gaiden to name a few. Add to that the nearly complete Psikyo shooting library and a huge collection from Cave (I'm not a big fan of Cave games, but if you are into them the PS2 choice becomes unavoidable) and it's a pretty easy decision. More PS2 shooters are coming...

But a used Saturn is very cheap - the last one I picked up was $17.50. It's easy to modify yourself or just get a converter cart. A used Saturn and Dreamcast combined will generally cost you the price of a single import... so get a PS2 and then skip one game and get a Saturn + Dreamcast and start getting all the best games across the platforms.
llabnip - DaveB
Once more the light shines brightly in sector 2814.
diOdesu

Post by diOdesu »

good points from everyone! thanks! i think i'll buy the ps2 after work today. saturns are pretty cheap, but i really want radiant silver gun and that game alone will empty my wallet. i noticed some decent priced must have games from www.play-asia.com for the ps2.
professor ganson

diOdesu wrote:yah are there any shooters for the ps2 that will become classic? i really want radiant silver gun, but i also dont want to fall behind with new releases.
My own view is that Shikigami no Shiro II, Espgaluda, Dodonpachi DOJ, and Zanac Neo (all available for the PS2, last three import only) compare favorably to Radiant Silvergun, Battle Garegga, and Dodonpachi (three classic Saturn shmups). A difference is that none of the PS2 shmups have the status of "classics" outside the shmup community, whereas Radiant Silvergun is pretty well known to hardcore gamers generally.
visuatrox

Re: console decision

Post by visuatrox »

As I see it PS2 opens up for the biggest shmup library, and then all future releases too. The Saturn while a great system, many of the games are also avaible for PS1.

.. The dreamcast has a bunch of really awesome shmups.. And playing the games in VGA look stunning, but the downside is that the games are more expensive and there are not that many of them avaible..

So basically my advice is go with the PS2.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

professor ganson wrote:
diOdesu wrote:yah are there any shooters for the ps2 that will become classic? i really want radiant silver gun, but i also dont want to fall behind with new releases.
My own view is that Shikigami no Shiro II, Espgaluda, Dodonpachi DOJ, and Zanac Neo (all available for the PS2, last three import only) compare favorably to Radiant Silvergun, Battle Garegga, and Dodonpachi (three classic Saturn shmups). A difference is that none of the PS2 shmups have the status of "classics" outside the shmup community, whereas Radiant Silvergun is pretty well known to hardcore gamers generally.
Dodonpachi is also on PSX. The PSX one is generally considered the better version of the game too.
professor ganson

BrianC wrote:
professor ganson wrote:
Dodonpachi is also on PSX. The PSX one is generally considered the better version of the game too.
Yeah, I completely forgot about that. Thanks.
bVork

Post by bVork »

One thing to consider is that the Saturn and Dreamcast are considerably cheaper than the PS2 - you can find a good used Saturn for around $20, and a Dreamcast for around $15. This leaves you more money to spend on games.

If I had to choose only one (I currently own all three), I'd pick the Saturn. It's fairly cheap, but you all but require an import converter (I use an Action Replay 4m Plus) in order to get the most out of the system. As I recall, only two shooters were released on this side of the pond (Galactic Attack and Darius Gaiden).

Once you are able to play imports on it, however, there are tons and tons of shooters. Sure, there's Radiant Silvergun, but there are plenty of other shooters that won't require a very large cheque. The two domestically released shooters can be had for under $10, and import games like Batsugun, Layer Section 2, Soukyugurentai Otokuyo, Strikers 1945 I and II, Thunder Force V, and Tempest 2000 can all be found for less than $50 each if you're patient.
thesuperkillerxxx

Post by thesuperkillerxxx »

save your pennies like I did, you'll need all of them (systems)...
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Saturn and DC are cheaper systems but the choice of cheap games is very limited.

At least with the ps2 you can buy up to date games as well. With the Sega systems you are limited to used items.

I just bought Gradius 5 for $30 brand new, your choice of $30 games on Sega Systems is about 4. :lol:
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
ST Dragon
Banned User

Re: console decision

Post by ST Dragon »

diOdesu wrote:alright, ive waited too long. i NEED a sega saturn, a modified ps2, and a modified dream cast (because i hate using swap discs). im ready to pull the trigger, but...which do i get??? since i can only currently afford one.

err, a few of my favorites are: mars matrix - dc, einhander - psone, ikaruga - gc. (pfft, sounds so typical)
Get a Modded PS-2; you can't go wrong with that.
But eventually, you'll get all 3 systems.

I would get the PS-2 first, just for the vast number of available shooters alone, then the Saturn & finally the DC, since it has the least number of Shooters of the 3 systems.
Also the common Shooters released on both Saturn & PS-1 seem to be a bit better on the PS-1 in some aspects. Also you’ll find some great exclusive PS-1 titles not easily matched…

Make sure the bastid that will mod your PS-2, knows what he’s doing as it’s the most frustrating of consoles & a real bitch to mod, especially if one is an amateur, as that will most definitely result in a well cooked PS-2.

You won’t need to mod your DC as most images you download are region-prepatched & it’s really not worth messing around with it since you only use the swap discs once if needed. But generally the DC can play copied games.
Make sure that the DC isn’t from the 2001 line of production, as a lot of them had a CD-R lockout to prevent people from using backups.

The Saturn is a child’s toy to mod.
I would recommend doing it your self as it only needs 2 wires to be soldered.
Just make sure you don’t get a 20pin-CDcable & 64pin chip Saturn, with the oval power & reset buttons, as it’s almost impossible to mod.