Question about PC Engine controllers

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
evil_ash_xero

Question about PC Engine controllers

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Will PC Engine controllers work with a PC Engine DUO?
PC Engine Fan X!

Re: Question about PC Engine controllers

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Yes, the old-style PCE controllers (with the bigger old school DIN-9 input interface) will work with the PC Engine Duo, provided that you use a TTI TG-16 to Duo controller adapter. I had tech god Matt Ross (from the old Shmups.com forums) make me a reverse Duo to TG-16 controller adapter & it works like a charm. Dunno why NEC USA division made the TG-16 console utilize the bigger DIN-9 interface though. With the Turbo Duo console, it uses the smaller & more robust DIN-9 interface (that the old-school Macs used back in the day). So you can even use a Mac keyboard extension cable as a nifty Duo controller extension cable as an added bonus. How cool is that?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Last edited by PC Engine Fan X! on Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I'm a little confused by your response. I'm a little slow today, sorry. :lol:

I have a Japanese PC Engine DUO. Would this work with it? Do I need to get something else to make it work with a DUO?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PC-Engine-Contr ... 45fd21611a
PC Engine Fan X!

Oh my apologies. Sure, the link that you mention of, it'll work just fine without any worries on a PC Engine Duo console.

What I was referring to was the fact that the American TurboGrafx-16 uses the old-school bigger DIN-9 interface plugs with the TG-16 TurboPads and TurboStick arcade sticks. If you wanted to use them with an Turbo Duo console, you had to buy an Turbo Technologies Incorporated (TTI) produced 1st-party TG-16 to Duo controller adapter to properly use such an Turbo Pad on a Duo console (otherwise, you couldn't use your old TG-16 gaming peripherals period). Plus if you have a reverse Duo to TG-16 controller adapter, you can use any PCE controller on the TurboGrafx-16 console without any problems.

So if I wanted to use the cool Hori PC Fighting Stick on the TG-16 console, then I'd use an reverse Duo to TG-16 controller adapter. Easy as pie.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Last edited by PC Engine Fan X! on Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Thanks very much!
PC Engine Fan X!

Glad to help you out anytime, evil_ash_xero.

For added versatility, why not pick up an NEC Avenue Pad 3 or an NEC Avenue Pad 6 (with upgraded options of three levels of auto-fire on the fly + built-in slo-mo capability from the get-go). Worth their weight in gold.

You can even use an Avenue Pad 6 with the USA version of Super CD-Rom2 game of Forgotten Worlds on the Turbo Duo (for the added 3rd button functionality) when playing a serious session. Of course, TTI didn't include an NEC Avenue Pad 3 controller with the USA version of SCD FW game though (as it was an Japanese PCE bundled deal exclusive). There are some PCE games that do take advantage of the extra 3rd button scheme as well as the more robust 6-button scheme afforded by the Avenue Pad 6 variant.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~