Need recommendations for a good cheap comb filter

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
kamiboy

Need recommendations for a good cheap comb filter

Post by kamiboy »

Gentlemen

I have two CRT's each with their own drawbacks and strengths. My NEC XM29 has a fantastic composite input, but the S-video input on it leaves a lot to be desired.

My SONY PVM has an ungodly composite input but the S-video is heavenly, and I generally prefer its visual aesthetics for 240p content.

Currently I am forced to play my composite only systems such as the NES on the NEC because of the superior composite input. But I would really rather play them on the SONY so I need to get hold of a comb filter that does at least as good a job splitting a composite video to S-video as does my NEC.

I am not looking to spend a lot, 50 or so shipped is the maximum I am looking to spend because I will be getting a Famicom Titler sometime down the line. The unit has to be able to handle NTSC as well as PAL signals. If you could help provide me with a number of choices I would appreciated it.
Fudoh

Re: Need recommendations for a good cheap comb filter

Post by Fudoh »

complicated topic. Gone through this when I started capturing laserdisc a few years back. For video games it's not worth the effort in my opinion. A PCE/TG16/Duo RGB mod is so simple and cheap, just do it or have it done. NES is more expensive yes, but worth the money and the effort.

If you want to try it anyway, forget about the standalone comb filters like the Entech SVSI/CVSI-1 (too expensive) and get this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RCA-AUDIOVOX-DR ... 25676e4d18

The comb filter used in it is quite ok and it's cheap.

I have a standalone Sony comb filter for sale which has 3 composite inputs and 1 RGB output. Quite cheap as well. If you're interested (or anyone else), just PM me.