I DID IT! Share your latest 1CCs/other triumphs here...

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Chaos Phoenixma

Re: I DID IT

Post by Chaos Phoenixma »

Type A is good if you can control it. I always found DDP's Type A to be too fast, so instead of dodging, I'd just run into stuff.
Type C was too slow, and Type B had terrible shottype.

DOJ's Type A felt pretty right with Type B being too slow.

At least DFK got the balance mostly right, though I exclusively use Type B.
chempop

Post by chempop »

Congrats Deca.
I agree about type-A, too fast. I always do best with type-C, especially in DOJ :wink:
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
finisherr

Post by finisherr »

Type A EXY in DOJ all the way.
Deca

Post by Deca »

I recently started using exy in doj and saw a HUGE improvement. Got within sight of the st5 boss second credit with her haha
Last edited by Deca on Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
1CC List To miss is human; to rank control, divine.
“Fly to live and shoot ‘em all!” – Manabu Namiki
Gus

Post by Gus »

RLRBS wrote:I broke a world record! (Mushi Futari Novice Ultra)
Sure, it's an easy mode, but I'm still very happy with that. :D
That's pretty cool. Yeah, it's a console exclusive novice mode but a WR is a WR.
finisherr

Post by finisherr »

Not the biggest accomplishment, but I 1CCed Futari Maniac Arrange Mode first try today.
Deca

Post by Deca »

I should probably be ashamed to admit it, but I finally managed to hit the first extend in DDP before the stage 2 boss. I really need to learn how to score stage 2, I feel like I have a pretty decent understanding of stage 1.

Almost hit 30mil in stage 2 on DOJ, not that I really have any idea what I'm doing in that game beyond little bits of chains here and there.
burgerkingdiamond

Post by burgerkingdiamond »

aghhhh! made it to the last boss of the first loop of DDP for the first time ever just now on my last life with max (6) bombs. I got it down to half life before I bit the dust. If I had had one more life I could have just bomb spammed it and got the clear :(.

I put in another credit just for the hell of it to see what else the boss had in store. Holy shit, is that last pattern even dodgeable?!?!
Let's Ass Kick Together!
1CCs : Donpachi (PCB - 1st loop) Dodonpachi (PCB - 1st loop) Battle Bakraid (PCB) Armed Police Batrider (PCB) Mushihimesama Futari 1.5 (360 - Original) Mushihimesama Futari BL (PCB - Original)
RNGmaster

Post by RNGmaster »

burgerkingdiamond wrote:aghhhh! made it to the last boss of the first loop of DDP for the first time ever just now on my last life with max (6) bombs. I got it down to half life before I bit the dust. If I had had one more life I could have just bomb spammed it and got the clear :(.

I put in another credit just for the hell of it to see what else the boss had in store. Holy shit, is that last pattern even dodgeable?!?!
Use shot/auto to cause slowdown - very helpful. It might be hard to do that with Type C though. It's a hard pattern but definitely doable even sans slowdown.
finisherr

Post by finisherr »

Yeah, I panic bombed the last pattern on my first clear. There was no way I was going to risk the glory.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Beat Deathsmiles arcade today. Took the cheaper route and hit Rank 2 for the last few stages prior to the castle but I'm happy with it - beat my previous score as well. :D
Deca

Post by Deca »

burgerkingdiamond wrote:Holy shit, is that last pattern even dodgeable?!?!
As far as I can tell the trick is to only pay attention to those blue aimed shots down the middle and dodge them with the smallest movements possible (grazing through them) in alternating directions. I have yet to actually face that pattern head on though, I've beaten the first loop 4 or 5 times now and have always just bombed through it. Need to make a savestate for that last boss.
Last edited by Deca on Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
burgerkingdiamond

Deca wrote:
burgerkingdiamond wrote:Holy shit, is that last pattern even dodgeable?!?!
As far as I can tell the trick is to only pay attention to those blue aimed shots down the middle and dodge them with the smallest movements possible (grazing through them) in alternating directions. I have yet to actually face that pattern head on though, I've been the first loop 4 or 5 times now and have always just bombed through it. Need to make a savestate for that last boss.
damn, 4-5 times eh? Nice. I'm knocking on the fucking door. My past two runs both made it to the final boss, but I had a melt down and lost a bunch of lives on the last level. If I can just make it to the boss with a single spare life it's over.
Let's Ass Kick Together!
1CCs : Donpachi (PCB - 1st loop) Dodonpachi (PCB - 1st loop) Battle Bakraid (PCB) Armed Police Batrider (PCB) Mushihimesama Futari 1.5 (360 - Original) Mushihimesama Futari BL (PCB - Original)
Deca

Post by Deca »

burgerkingdiamond wrote:If I can just make it to the boss with a single spare life it's over.
Push on in your runs even if you lose a life as early as the second or third stage. You'll feel retarded but some of my better runs late in the game have come after deaths that almost made me reset. My biggest advice in stages 5 and 6 is to keep moving, prioritize your targets and try not to be too afraid of the bullets. Stay on top of leading them around rather than letting them cut you off.

Also try not to freak out too bad on the last boss, I'm still having issues with that myself. His first couple patterns really aren't too bad, if you can stay calm through those bits you won't have to worry about anything. Easier said than done I know!

Good luck man, you're gonna feel amazing when you get the first clear :)

EDIT: Just blew it against st6 boss while coworker was watching, no lives and 5 bombs going in and I got him to about a half inch of health. Dodged a lot more of his attacks than usual, and actually dodged a few seconds of the final pattern. Savestate practice is going to dial the first loop for me, I'm sure. The attacks really aren't as bad as I'd originally thought.
ebarrett

Post by ebarrett »

edit: you didn't see anything
Last edited by ebarrett on Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
burgerkingdiamond

Finally got it! and with my girlfriend practicing punching me in the arm for half the game too (she's learning karate). I almost killed the last boss with a life in the bank but he got me. He had like 0.5% life left or something stupid. That last pattern is a bitch. I had to bomb through.

Man that feels good.
Let's Ass Kick Together!
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Nice!

I did a 1cc of trap15's Dodonpachi Arrange, but then that's not particularly hard to do. :P
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Saw this thread bumped and decided to give Dodonpachi a credit on MAME.

Got half way through the stage 6 boss. Is there more than one Stage 6 boss, or is that the end? I died with 3 bombs in stock on the last stage, so I could take him down within a few more tries.

Stage 5 is awesome.
burgerkingdiamond

dunpeal2064 wrote:Saw this thread bumped and decided to give Dodonpachi a credit on MAME.

Got half way through the stage 6 boss. Is there more than one Stage 6 boss, or is that the end? I died with 3 bombs in stock on the last stage, so I could take him down within a few more tries.

Stage 5 is awesome.
the first loop only has that one boss.

hmm now I need a new game to set my sights on.. I've cleared Futari Original, Batrider, Raiden DX (alpha route, so not a real clear) and DDP. I want to take it up a notch, so I'm thinking Ketsui or DOJ. Going for something different like a Psikyo game would be nice, but until I figure out a solution for rapid fire I'm gonna pass.
Let's Ass Kick Together!
rancor

Post by rancor »

Battle Bakraid is a medium-level, greatly satisfying clear. I think if you can do DDP, you should be able to get it done over the weekend. :wink:
Deca

Post by Deca »

I'd agree that Bakraid is a good quickie to get under your belt, but I'd argue that it's easier than Batrider...granted, this may be because Batrider Normal was the first shooter I really played seriously and ended up being my first 1CC. The only problem with Batrider and Bakraid is that I really don't feel like I've beaten them. It's satisfying to some degree, definitely, but I won't be happy until I've cleared Advanced. I've been taking a break from APB and Garegga for quite a while now actually, I should get back to them at some point...

This is of course assuming we're talking about Normal courses...if you've already cleared Batrider Advanced then I think you're a much better player than you're letting on :P

I've been working on Raiden Fighters 2 lately, and am very close to clearing it. It's not a super difficult game but it is a very different kind of challenge. If you're interested in pushing your skillset in a new direction it might be worth considering (though you did list Raiden DX...I've only really played the Fighters games so I don't really know how much they differ from the main series).

Donpachi is another quickie.
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Oh yeah, I was supposed to be playing RF2 with ya. Gotta get back into that.

After seeing this thread for so long, I feel I have to clear DDP now. Twice last night I got to the last boss, and he had less than half health left. In both runs, I died with 3 bombs in stock. So, I feel I could cheese a 1cc of this any run now.

Would it be smart to bomb before picking up the bomb in stage 2? I want to score enough for the extends, but if I could have more bomb stock over a few points, I'd prefer the bombs (at least until I clear)
Deca

Post by Deca »

dunpeal2064 wrote:Oh yeah, I was supposed to be playing RF2 with ya. Gotta get back into that.

After seeing this thread for so long, I feel I have to clear DDP now. Twice last night I got to the last boss, and he had less than half health left. In both runs, I died with 3 bombs in stock. So, I feel I could cheese a 1cc of this any run now.

Would it be smart to bomb before picking up the bomb in stage 2? I want to score enough for the extends, but if I could have more bomb stock over a few points, I'd prefer the bombs (at least until I clear)
If you can avoid bombing until stage 4 you're pretty much golden. When I was originally going for my first clear I would bomb the second boss so I didn't have to deal with as many bursts of his last pattern, but at some point after that I realized point blanking at the beginning of the fight works a lot better and with some basic chaining in the first two stages the Max bonus will give you your first extend before the second boss.

I guess I would say to do whatever makes you the most comfortable while going for the initial clear. If bombing in stage 2 lets you relax a bit and focus better then it's totally acceptable for now. If you're just doing it because you feel like you should use all the bombs the game gives you, then don't worry about it. If you get all 3 extends and don't die with bombs left over you get quite a lot of them throughout the game.
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

So, bombing is what makes more room for bomb stock right? I suppose that even if I don't bomb and go for maximum bonus, I should still have enough bombs left. I'm starting to get the hang of the stage 4 boss though. Stage 6 boss is oddly not that hard to me, aside 1 pattern that I just can't get down.

I can fairly safely no miss no bomb stage 2, although every now and then I panic bomb. I'll try point-blanking some in that fight. My first miss usually comes at the stage 4 boss, as I am out of bombs.

Once I get this clear, I'll join you in RF2 again. Need to get the clear in that game too.
Deca

Post by Deca »

dunpeal2064 wrote:So, bombing is what makes more room for bomb stock right? I suppose that even if I don't bomb and go for maximum bonus, I should still have enough bombs left. I'm starting to get the hang of the stage 4 boss though. Stage 6 boss is oddly not that hard to me, aside 1 pattern that I just can't get down.

I can fairly safely no miss no bomb stage 2, although every now and then I panic bomb. I'll try point-blanking some in that fight. My first miss usually comes at the stage 4 boss, as I am out of bombs.

Once I get this clear, I'll join you in RF2 again. Need to get the clear in that game too.
In DDP bomb slots open every time you die, regardless of bomb usage I believe. The first time I ever used savestates to practice was the stage 3-6 bosses in DDP and it worked wonders. St3 and 4 bosses in particular became much easier for me after some focused practice and finally understanding their attacks.

Some advice for the st4 boss: The attack with the aimed blue shots through the field of slow pink bullets, I get up close on one side as he starts to fire and then sweep back away from him to the other side of the screen. Wait for the blue shots and just keep finding open areas moving sideways, being careful not to go too fast and corner yourself. For the final attack with the fast light blue shots, just make sure you keep moving. That attack is scary as hell but you'll eventually get used to it and find it's not so bad at all. Try to get one of the turrets moved off screen and you'll find it MUCH easier to deal with as well.

Also no rush on RF2, I've been dead sick for the past week and haven't played at all. I'd said I was going to get my clear last week too :'(
Last edited by Deca on Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
burgerkingdiamond

dunpeal2064 wrote:Oh yeah, I was supposed to be playing RF2 with ya. Gotta get back into that.

even without putting any effort at all towards chaining you should hit the 2nd extend by the 5th level. At that point you'll start chaining pretty big without trying just due to the mass amounts of shit coming at you. At least that's my experience.

as for the RF series vs the main Raiden series there's not much in common besides the name. RF was originally going to be a completely separate series I believe.

and Bakraid.. Yeah this game is fun. There's something about chaining those medals that is super satisfying. Maybe I'll give that a shot. I've made it to the last boss once before. As for Batrider, I don't even know what to say about it. I've never practiced it except for the occasional MAME run here and there. When I was in Tokyo I sat down for a credit in HEY! and cleared it right there on the spot. I definitely think luck had something to do with it. I also remember picking up an extend icon somewhere towards the end. I don't know what triggered it, and it almost fell off the bottom of the screen.
Let's Ass Kick Together!
Deca

Post by Deca »

burgerkingdiamond wrote:I also remember picking up an extend icon somewhere towards the end. I don't know what triggered it, and it almost fell off the bottom of the screen.
If it was just a falling item you get those every 1.5mil points. It pops out of an enemy in place of the next item that would be spawned.
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Ah ok, I may have been confusing it with Donpachi, I think bomb usage is what opens more slots in that one.

That slow pink attack with the blue aimed shots is quite the pain, but I usually start at the bottom of the screen, and I get cornered fast with no room to maneuver around those pink bullets.

I'm gonna have to start talking Raizing with ya here soon too. I finally have a nice MAME setup, which is why I'm going at DDP. I had only ever playeed the Saturn port before.
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

burgerkingdiamond wrote:

even without putting any effort at all towards chaining you should hit the 2nd extend by the 5th level. At that point you'll start chaining pretty big without trying just due to the mass amounts of shit coming at you. At least that's my experience.

Ah ok, I'm getting the extends at the right point then. yeah, playing as C-S (of course), chaining seems to just happen in stage 5. I don't think I've broken 300 yet, but I've come close.

I've got down chaining the first stage up to the midboss though! Ha ha. The only chaining I can do in any game.
Deca

Post by Deca »

You know we could just establish a DDP rivalry :P I've still been playing semi regularly to try and bring up my skill a bit with the loop being a longer term goal. You don't seem too far behind at all really.