Dreamcast Question

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
stryc9

Dreamcast Question

Post by stryc9 »

I just mentioned this problem in another thread, but it reminded me I should probably ask you guys.

Years ago, I blew up my NTSCU DC with 240v when I plugged it in whilst absolutely falling-down drunk without the stepdown :lol:

Long story short, I got a cheap PAL console from a dealer and used a boot disc to play Japanese and US titles. Thing is, some display correctly, and others badly crop the top and bottom of the screen with ugly borders. Why is this, and is there a workaround (updated boot disk version or some such thing).

Or am I looking at shelling out for a new console?
Facebook is for handbag users.
XBox Live Name: Katbizkitz
dannnnn

Re: Dreamcast Question

Post by dannnnn »

PAL DC's can be modded to output games in 60hz with no borders. I don't know the details of how to perform the mod, but Console Passion do it for a fee (although no use to you since you're in Australia). Maybe it's something to look in to if console modding is your type of thing.
Observer wrote:WELCOME TO VIOLENT CITY. That's all the storyline I need.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Moved to Hardware.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
anticipating

Post by anticipating »

You can change the region to anything you like by following this http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/sega/dc-region.htm. I registered just to post this in response to your question because I have done this and it works great. My pal DC boots up with a red dreamcast logo and everything.
stryc9

Post by stryc9 »

Red logo and all? Wow, thanks that sounds awesome!
Thanks for the advice, checking out now :shock:
Facebook is for handbag users.
XBox Live Name: Katbizkitz
Jockel

Post by Jockel »

Try the Utopia bootdisc.
And if that won't work, just download & burn the games you own, since copied games ironically aren't region locked.