PCB Storage, updated pics...err, not loving it :/

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
CulDad78

PCB Storage, updated pics...err, not loving it :/

Post by CulDad78 »

UPDATED post w/new pics: Not very practical for display at this point, particularly if laid flat, just too long out, so would have to be displayed vertically, long edge parallel to the wall to go this route, and still would need to lose an inch of thickness in all directions.

This is my first go - I used a couple different woods, hard solid maple and birch plywood, just to guage how they'd look on a shape such as this. I didn't put a ton of time into the joints, pretty standard butt joints, pocket holed from the inside and glued. The back panel is screwed on from the back so you can access the PCB if need be. The board itself is mounted on inner blocks, so only the edge of the board is touching anything, it also "centers" the board so it looks like a normal console cart if you will.

I haven't finished up with the edges - the idea for the edges would be a riveted on stainless steel plate, with the game name hardpressed in black lettering, this would all them to be stacked upright on a shelf, with the gameboard properly identified at an angle.

Anyways, prototype pics:

Centering of the PCB JAMMA Edge for easy access.

Laid on its side (way too big - that's an 8" shelf, and it's a full 1/3 off the edge.

And on a 6" shelf it looks ridiculous

It looks ok upright and long edge parallel to wall, but the idea was to have them labeled on the side-spines, which would be pointless like this.

This is actually quite functional - and I do like the protection it provides the board as my kids pound away on the joysticks.
Last edited by CulDad78 on Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ELabit

Re: PCB Storage - possible solutions, first go proto-type

Post by ELabit »

Looks good but its gonna get pretty bulky if you have a couple of them. You could probably use a thinner plywood too and a small stapler to attach the pieces. Plexiglas would look pretty sweet too.
brentsg

Post by brentsg »

Better off to go with something that protects against static electricity and allows you to store the boards flat with no feet, or vertical. They will begin to sag otherwise.

I think sagging and static are your two worst enemies, assuming your kid can't get to them.
Breaking news: Dodonpachi Developer Cave Releases Hello Kitty Game
CulDad78

Post by CulDad78 »

^ - yeah, i'm glad I didn't put too much time into this - not loving it, but want something different. Back to drawing board.
undamned

Post by undamned »

brentsg wrote:Better off to go with something that protects against static electricity...
Wood is a fine electrical insulator, but his box appears to have a finish on it, which does changes the insulative properties.
-ud
Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love
CulDad78

Re: PCB Storage, updated pics...err, not loving it :/

Post by CulDad78 »

Have to admit - never considered the electrical considerations w/the use of a stain / polyurethane. Makes sense though.

Updated OP w/pics of the board "in action". Gonna call this a failed first attempt.

Thanks to those who've pm'd some other products available.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

First of all: Your stick collection is awesome.

Have you considered putting a PCB holder (plastic) inside the cabinet so you can keep it in place even if your kids move the whole cabinet? Storing PCB's is best vertically, I have all of mine in cardboard boxes with pink bubblewrap inside, but I'm gonna do something different soon as they take up way too much space.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
CulDad78

Post by CulDad78 »

^ Yeah, i've looked at that option. The original idea was sort of an "all-in-one" storage/display/functionality process, never having to physically touch the PCB itself.

Part of this is I need things to look nice while being stored, part of this is I have 4 young ones - and I can tell them not to touch stuff, but that doesn't always work, so if I can get them (pcb's) a bit more protection, that is a good thing.

But the more I bat this around, a nice / clean / pretty box w/some foam (or wrap) is probably the most cost and time efficient solution.
kernow

Post by kernow »

This is actually quite functional - and I do like the protection it provides the board as my kids pound away on the joysticks.
As opposed to the huge metal case it's sitting in already right.
CulDad78

Post by CulDad78 »

kernow wrote:
As opposed to the huge metal case it's sitting in already right.
I hate to point out sarcasm...but, umm, that was sarcasm as it had been a thorough disappointment in all intended facets.