Rotating my Sony PVM monitor clockwise or anticlockwise?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
fandenivoldsk

Rotating my Sony PVM monitor clockwise or anticlockwise?

Post by fandenivoldsk »

I want to use my Sony PVM 2130QM to play vertical games in their TATE mode. Does anyone know if it matter whether I turn the monitor clockwise or anticlockwise? Right now it is anticlockwise, and I noticed that the colors are a little off/pale in the left/upper half of the screen. Will it damage the monitor in the long run if I keep it that way and should I therefore try and tilt it clockwise instead? Or is it just as bad? Also, is it possible to adjust the colors to fix the problem?
neorichieb1971

Re: Rotating my Sony PVM monitor clockwise or anticlockwise?

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Put the monitor in horizontal orientation, leave it unplugged for 10 minutes and plug it back in. Colors should be normal again.

Do the same every time you rotate it.

It will not make a difference which way you rotate it. This method should help though.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
fandenivoldsk

Post by fandenivoldsk »

So if I want to fix it right now, I need to:

A) Unplug it, and rotate it back to YOKO (horizontal) position, wait 10 min. and switch it on. Colors are back to normal.
B) Then unplug it again and rotate back to TATE position, wait 10 min. and switch it on. Colors should then be normal in TATE mode?
I want to keep it in TATE mode all the time.

One more thing; is it possible to adjust the screen geometry somehow?
Sparda

Post by Sparda »

its seems many peoples have that kind of "colour problem" with PVM. In french, "tache de magnetisation" ,how are you saying in english ?

The degauss seems to be not strong enough when the PVM are Tate. Any one can confirm ? Its not the first time im reading that kind of post on the web.

For geometry, you must open it, then on the right side (when you look at the rear panel, you'll find a pcb, with holes labeled "h size" or "v size" or "h center" if i remember, you must use a tiny screwdriver. But for optimised geometry settings, you have to touch/move the "rings" around the tube, the yoke too...but only some peoples have skills for those settings....sorry for my english
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

One more thing; is it possible to adjust the screen geometry somehow?
Like matey said above. There is a PCB on the right side (except its when facing the front not the rear). It has very small holes. You use a plastic screw driver and turn the screw on the inside. It will change the respective geometry settings.

Use a mirror for comfort.

When the monitor is plugged in its liable to hold a charge, keeping the discolored setting. By unplugging (de-grounding) its likely to reset from fresh. It doesn't always work though, I had 70/30 results.
Ex-Cyber

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Sparda wrote:its seems many peoples have that kind of "colour problem" with PVM. In french, "tache de magnetisation" ,how are you saying in english ?
We'd say that a CRT "needs degaussing" / "needs to be degaussed" rather than referring to the problem itself. This suggests that the CRT is "gaussed", but that use isn't very common.
Sparda

Post by Sparda »

thanks, now i remember..."degauss" ^^

For the pcb, from the front on the left side, or from the rear (because you need to remove the panel ;)) on the right side. The holes arent difficult to find, but be really careful , dont put your hands inside ^^

Someone already tried to mess with the yoke and the "rings" ? Purity problems can only be solved like that.
fandenivoldsk

Post by fandenivoldsk »

Thanks for all the tips! I actually helped to tilt the monitor clockwise. The colors are very nice now :-)
I'll take a look at the PCB inside soon. Maybe I'll get an expert to have a look at it, just to be on the safe side...
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I take it your using 360 games on it or something? Most jamma games only tilt anti cw.
fandenivoldsk

Post by fandenivoldsk »

Yeah, I use 360 and other consoles. Probably also a PC with Mame. But thanks for the jamma feedback!