New Sync Strike - Available Now!

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Sparda

Re: New Sync Strike - Available Now!

Post by Sparda »

yes, LED is on with the "faulty" ones, but not so bright compared to the others, with the PS2 lead, the LED is "very red", but with "360", its just "blinking"
fagin

Post by fagin »

Sparda wrote:yes, LED is on with the "faulty" ones, but not so bright compared to the others, with the PS2 lead, the LED is "very red", but with "360", its just "blinking"
If the LED is blinking you either have sub 5v from the SCART or you have a grounding issue.

I haven't tried my 360 or XBOX with the Sync Strike, but these consoles never needed external power when using my Syncblaster cable (as I would of expected based on their voltage supply to SCART). I assume the same would be for the Sync Strike, but can double check tonight. I would suspect at the moment it is a cable issue on your part.
hellbelly

Post by hellbelly »

When I tried my XBOX, I used a good quality RGB cable that I used to use all the time with my CRT, it switched the TV to the correct AV channel no problem (that's using scart pin 8).

I found a second cable I knew I had somewhere, again this switches channel ok on my CRT, but doesn't light the LED on my Sync Strike.

When I used to buy a lot if RGB cables to sacrifice, a bunch of them would be wired incorrectly when it came to scart pins 8 and 16, often missing pin 8 comPletely, or having it fed from 16 via a resistor (usually it's the other way around).

So the cable has a big impact I reckon, not only for sound and image quality, but now for powering stuff like the sync strike. That's why it's great it has screw terminals for an external PSU, I bet a lot of people have an old Nokia charger, or even a USB cable they could hack up for this :-)
bencao74

Post by bencao74 »

My supplier received the plexi sheets. Hopefully he can do the cuts until monday. So I should have cases mid of next week.
fagin

Post by fagin »

hellbelly wrote:That's why it's great it has screw terminals for an external PSU, I bet a lot of people have an old Nokia charger, or even a USB cable they could hack up for this :-)
Exactly the reason for including the external PSU option. 8)
Sparda

Post by Sparda »

If the LED is blinking you either have sub 5v from the SCART or you have a grounding issue.
When 360 is plugged on Sync Strike, im getting 3.3V on pin8(LED is blinking), but when its unplugged, im getting 11.5V on Pin8. So like you said, seems to be a grounding issue.
dosucol1

Post by dosucol1 »

bencao74 wrote:jo, 300 mA is absolutley enough. My calculations gives me about 50mA max. according datasheets.

I`m waiting everday since one week for the case plexi. The design was sent last week to my supplier.
Just a question about the LED.Have you chosen a standard colour LED and what V / I is it using .Just that i understand that a standard green LED would use about 2.2V and about 25 milliamps ,where as a red LED uses about 1.7V but about 30 milliamps .So which have you used and what would be the best choice . Low I or low V ?
MKL

Post by MKL »

Kingbuzzo wrote:if you need to get pure sync from composite sync, would a simple jrok sync cleaner do the same thing?
Yes.
bencao74

Post by bencao74 »

standard LED with about 20mA. I don't know exactly the forward current. I guess between 1.4V and 2.6V something. I`ve used 220ohm pre resistor. I guess at 5V it takes between 5 and 10 mA
rugdoctor

Post by rugdoctor »

Noob question: Dug up an old but working AC-DC adapter outputting at DC 12V and 1.2A, is this safe to use with the sync strike? Also, if I am to use it, do I wire the "dash-dot" patterned wire to the +'ve end of the screw in terminals and the other "written" wire to the -'ve end?
bencao74

Post by bencao74 »

should be, since other consoles outputs 12v via Scart pin8, too. But I recommend using about a 5-6V psu
rugdoctor

Post by rugdoctor »

Thanks for the recommendation! At 5 to 6v, whats the minimal amps the sync strike need to operate efficiently?
hellbelly

Post by hellbelly »

50mA is quoted in this thread somewhere :-)

If you're using one of the eBay cga to VGA scalers then it comes with a lead you could use to power the sync strike.

Pete
SGGG2

Post by SGGG2 »

Has the Sync Strike helped with the jailbar issues with Saturn or Genesis on anyone's setup?
Sparda

Post by Sparda »

i noticed the LM is soldered askew. Can i unsolder it then solder it ?
fagin

Post by fagin »

SGGG2 wrote:Has the Sync Strike helped with the jailbar issues with Saturn or Genesis on anyone's setup?
Through what device?
SGGG2

Post by SGGG2 »

XRGB-3, of course ;) but I assume it doesn't matter.
fagin

Post by fagin »

I've just placed an order of an XRGB-3, so I will test all instances with that including the AES. Since the XRGB-3 seems to prefer composite sync, I hope that the sync strike will enable this with all my current SCART cables, which are only wired for composite video sync.

This will be a good solution then for those of us who have not had our cables modified!
antonicont

Post by antonicont »

Hi everyone!
First of all, i want to congrat you guys for the massive work you're doing here... i hope my question doesn't sound too silly, please consider that i'm a noob and my skills are pretty lame by now! I've just found a working japanese n64 with rgb mod in one of those markets packed with used stuff (lucky me!) and the n64 comes with an original snes rgb pal cable, just like this one:
The n64 works like a charm on an old 14'' crt tv i have, but when a tv is 25 years old, "charm" means a disturbing yellow predominance (the cathode ray tube is gone), so i was planning to plug it to my lcd tv, and buying a Sync Strike and a scaler in order to do that. Here's my question: is the snes rgb cable able to supply the Sync Strike? As you can see from the pic, it actually has a pin 8, so it may be the case... i also found this quote from Hellbelly:
hellbelly wrote: Nintendo
Super Famicom - 50/60hz modded
N64 - NTSC RGB modded
Any other experiences out there?
Thanks in advance for the help! Keep up the good work, A.
fagin

Post by fagin »

Hi Antonicont,
If it works with your TV, I see no reason why it should work with the sync strike and scaler (assuming it is indeed outputting a RGB image). :)
bencao74

Post by bencao74 »

http://bencao74.blogspot.com/2011/07/sy ... -case.html

:) two sheet acryl case with laser cut outs for Sync Strike :) I put them on the shop mid of next week. I only have to order some screws...

hope you like it. ahh, bevor I forget : for those who ordered, but still not received the Sync Strike. Get in touch with me if you want to extend your Sync Strike with a case.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Would the Atari Jaguar console with Scart cable setup work with all three listed devices: sync striker -> cga2vga -> sg3000 -> tri-sync arcade monitor?

I use a Japanese Scart cable with my USA region Jag console with one of viletim's Scart to Jamma device on a 15kHz low-res arcade monitor setup & it works like a charm. The scanlines present on the arcade monitor give it that cool overall retro look -- definitely much better than going the Composite Video or S-Video cable route with the ol' Atari Jag setup indeed.

Tis a shame that Atari Corp. didn't properly market the Atari Jag in the USA based arcades. To see the Jag version of Tempest 2000 running on a Jamma based candy cab is quite an awesome sight to see/behold (it would've been cool to see it up & running on a Dynamo woodie cab back in early 1994 just to show off what the Jag could do). I recall that the Area 51 PCB ran on modified Jaguar hardware with extra memory & a HDD setup though.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
fagin

Post by fagin »

If the SCART lead is indeed wired for JAP configuration it won't work...... unless you re-wire the SCART cable for EU pinout, or see in Bencao can supply SCART socket for JAP configuration.

Apart from that I see no reason why not.

However, the question would be as to why you would want to scale the image if you're using a tri-sync anyhow. Is the JAG 480i output?
Grumbleduke

Post by Grumbleduke »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:Would the Atari Jaguar console with Scart cable setup work with all three listed devices: sync striker -> cga2vga -> sg3000 -> tri-sync arcade monitor?
Long time lurker, first time poster here. I had a few 'problem consoles' with the cga2vga/LM1881 sync stripper and the Jaguar was the worst (unuseable infact). I can confirm it works perfectly with sync striker -> cga2vga -> sg3000...dunno about the monitor though. My setup is a PAL Jag modified to permanent 60hz and a Raven games RGB cable btw.
"Hands up who likes me."
bryan_c

Post by bryan_c »

fagin wrote:If the SCART lead is indeed wired for JAP configuration it won't work...... unless you re-wire the SCART cable for EU pinout, or see in Bencao can supply SCART socket for JAP configuration.
You could also get a JP -> EU SCART adapter cable. I got one from http://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/ - the site sells EU -> JP adapters, but I requested a JP -> EU adapter and was sold one for the same price as they sell the EU -> JP ones. Not sure why it isn't listed for sale; maybe there just isn't much of a market for them.

Mind you, if you're at all handy with a soldering iron (I'm not) and have no need for a JP SCART cable (I did), it's apparently quite simple to rewire it like fagin suggested to save you from having to buy anything.
dlc28

Post by dlc28 »

I know this may seem like I'm being a little demanding, but is a case going to be made for the scaller too??
ulihox

Post by ulihox »

dlc28 wrote:I know this may seem like I'm being a little demanding, but is a case going to be made for the scaller too??
Hi.

I want another one.

Please.
bencao74

Post by bencao74 »

Hey,

about status of work for the cases

- Sync Strike Case finished and all parts together:
http://www.arcadeforge.de/?page_id=880#case

I`m charging 10€ for the Sync Strike Case.

The Scaler case is under work. I had a little issue with the connectors. On my pcbs I' placing the parts in a friendly manner that I can do a proper case. But for COTS PCBs this is much more tricky...

Anyway: Plexi is here, mounting must be done, tests must be done.
fagin

Post by fagin »

Tested and working fine with a NeoGeo AES (to get composite sync if your NG is using composite video for sync).
KtheC

Post by KtheC »

Hi, i've got a SNES i'm trying to play on an LCD but the picture flickers, would just the 'Sync Strike' fix this or would I need a scaler too?